Talespinning: Elven-Human War Stories (long log) 12/12/2010 09:44 PM CST
This isn't a Bard only event by any means, it was a mentor event I did but it has a bardic flair so..why not?
Sorry for the long log but there's no way to properly summarize stories. I edited out a lot of the talking that wasn't me presenting a story or the story itself. I may have forgotten a line or two here and there, and if so I apologize. But before I make a long post even longer, here it is. Thank you to everyone who participated, everyone did an amazing job.

Terra says, "Thank you all for coming. I am sure most of you are familiar with the topic, The Elven-Human War or The War of Tears, but I will briefly describe it for those of you who may not be. I won't go into too much detail in the beginning, because I would hate to ruin someone else's story."

Terra says, "Typically these work by a brief synopsis of the subject and then I start things off with a story of my own. My stories are usually centered around how history directly relates to my own guild and today will be no different."

Terra says, "The Elven-Human War was a five year and was started by Sorril's father in 1008 BL when Sorril (an Elf) eloped with Kanton (a Human) and became pregnant with his twins instead of marrying Morganae's son Rivyn (an Elf) as her father had promised she would."

Terra says, "The War involved many of the Kermorian races and caused great destruction. It ended in 1003 BL with the death of Sorril, Rivyn, and Kanton."

Terra says, "I would be very surprised if at least one story we hear tonight does not delve deeper into who those people are."

Terra says, "In the early days of the Resistance War, the renegade leader Lanival was strapped for resources and manpower against his rivals, primary of which was the Elven warlord Teiro. Teiro sought to consolidate the lands held by the Imperials under a new rule, estabilshed by himself, for himself. Lanival felt that the Imperial structure had failed and that the future lay in dividing the lands up. There were other contestants in this epic struggle, but the were overshadowed by the giant figures of Lanival and Teiro."

Terra matter-of-factly says, "Lanival did not begin this way. Teiro had the considerable and well-trained Elven armies at his back while Lanival's force was a bit more ragtag consisting of novices, exiles and castoffs. So he needed all of the support he could get. Some of his early support came from key figures we recognize today such as Shorka the Cobra, who brought a much needed infusion of troops, Ka'len who would lead a fleet at sea and Lanival's own gypsy followers, the Human Dragon Clan."

Terra says, "In an attempt to gain more support, Lanival and his top aide Arhat went to Therengia to beseech the governor Jelstad Theren to join the Resistance War. While they laid out a firm arguement to sway the noble, he ramined neutral and took a "wait-and-see" approach before taking any sides. However, the distinguished Bard of House Theren was won over, Arnumir Falarta. e quickly relinquished his position and service to the Therens, pledging then and there, right on the spot! in front of Governor Jelstad, to serve Lanival."

Terra says, "So this is the hero I wanted to speak about today, Arnumir Falarta. A hero that goes unrecognized in some of the more famous war stories about this devastating war, but who will remain a legend in the eyes of scholars and warrior bards everywhere."

Terra says, "Throughout the course of the Resistance War, Arnumir never left Lanival's side. He served as a chronicler for the war,using his considerable master of Bardic Recall to transcribe his tales in song and parchment. While there, Arnumir detailed some of the most significant moments of the long war, including Lanival's meeting with the Dragons."

Terra hums a wistful tune.

Terra quietly says, "When Arnumir walking alongside his friend, first saw the awesome Dragons, he was filled with a bone-chilling fear. He began quickly humming to himself, which to some extent, succeeded in easing his nerves and undoing his fears."

Terra firmly says, "Being one of the greatest warrior-bards the guild ever saw, he stood by Lanival's side during fights, protecting his back in battle with instruments and blade in hands. He used the instruments to issue signals and commands for the general. He often served as a rallying point, helping gather soldiers for quick strikes and he lead them to safety if things turned sour. He was a source of strength for many of the troops. He used his magic woven with his music to bolster their skill and spirit."

Terra confidently says, "In one of the final battles of the Resistance War, when Lanival gathered all of his troops against Teiro's forces it was Arnumir that saved the day. Teiro was a lord of dark magic and he began using a series of vile spells that created the portrait of horror for Lanival's army, filling them with the most chilling fear, the stuff of nightmares. People began striking their companions down, dropping their arms and fleeing in hysteria."

(Terra continues to walk soundlessly across the front of the room, fidgeting with the edge of her journal. As the story goes on, you notice that she seems to walk a little straighter and her eyes gleam a little brighter and her eyes gleam with the same pride that shows through her voice.)

Terra matter-of-factly says, "Thinking quickly, Arnumir raised his horn and began blaring out the melody he had devised that day he saw the Dragons. The Bard expertly wove the power of the elements together with his music, creating an effect that countered the dark magic Teiro threw at Lanival's forces. As the battle waged on and the Bard was soon engulfed in the melee."

Terra says, "His focus was on his song and he was caught off guard, and he lost his arm. Though he fell to the ground in severe pain, he refused to let his song and the power behind it stop so began to chant as loud as he could, creating rousing words to match the melody he had devised. And Teiro's magic was unable to hold the troops in fear during the whole battle. The song would later be remembered throughout the history of the Bard's Guild, entitled "The Redeemer's Pride."

Terra says, "He was never so fine a warrior after that battle, having lost an arm, but he still remained Lanival's shadow and companion. Arnumir was with Lanival when the Redeemer was attacked by assassins on his journey. Both received critical wounds during that battle. Arnumir managed to drag himself to a nearby village, where he delivered the news of what had happened, and told the tale of Lanival seeking Glacis' help. He passed away soon after from his injuries."

Terra bows.

(I missed a bit around this part of the log, but nobody's story.)

Valynn says, "My tale is not exactly about the War of Tears."

Valynn says, "It is about Elves and Dwarves."

Valynn says, "Dwarves who aided Humans during the War of Tears."

Valynn says, "It is a sad tale and difficult to tell."

Valynn takes a deep breath.

Valynn quietly says, "We elves have a long and glorious history reaching back farther than any other race can remember."

Xixist gazes at Valynn.

Valynn slowly says, "Any other race except for the Dwarves."

Valynn matter-of-factly says, "Our history has had moments of glory and triumph. And also moments of deep dark despair. My father's father would tell a tale once a year by the light of the fire in our Inn."

Valynn sadly says, "His eyes would well with tears as he told his tale."

Valynn quietly says, "It was hard for him to relate it, but he did so that we would remember, tell our children and continue our oral tradition."

Valynn quietly says, "For his remembrance, I am grateful."

Valynn quietly says, "Here is my grandfather's tale as told to me."

(Valynn gazes into the distance remembering a time not long ago. A brightly burning fire crackling in a stone hearth and a pair of soft gray eyes gazing at her from her grandfather's lightly tanned face.)

(Valynn's attention returns to the present and she gazes out at the crowd. Clearing her throat she begins her tale.)

Tolcon gazes at Valynn with a sympathetic look on his face.

Valynn loudly says, "CRACK."

Valynn emphatically says, "The air popped within inches of his ear."

Valynn harshly says, "Move Elven dog or feel the lash again."

Valynn recites:

"He glanced up quickly into the swarthy face of the leather clad Dwarven guard perched on the rock directly to his right."

Valynn recites:

"'Challenge me, will yeh!' the dwarf growled raising the handle of his whip, letting the length unravel revealing a wickedly barbed end."

Valynn recites:

"Quickly averting his eyes, he returned to his task. He slowly toiled up the incline tunnel from the dark and damp cavern below."

Valynn recites:

"His muscles burned from the strain of the load he carried. His hands, slick with blood from newly opened blisters, slipped on the leather straps of the canvas bag filled with mined ore. His stomach roiled with hunger. A hunger little satisfied by the slop that passed as food. When he was allowed it."

Ignifera nods to Saranari.

Valynn quietly says, "The one thought that replayed in his brain 'Keep moving, don't let them win'."

Valynn painfully says, "To give in to the pain meant punishment. Punishments were often worse than the tasks at hand."

Valynn recites:

"Two steps farther and his body failed him. It had no choice, exhausted and ill fed as it was. Stumbling, he pitched forward slamming first his knees and then shoulders into the hard rock of the mineshaft. He felt a sharp pain in his ribcage as the iron-toed boot of the guard found its mark."

Valynn loudly exclaims, "Move, yeh lazy elf!"

Valynn recites:

"His breath coming in ragged gasps, he attempted to stand, only to have the guard's boot slam again into his body sending him sprawling to the ground. Sand and sharp rocks grated against his cheek, gouging the flesh and causing new wounds to open and bleed."

Valynn painfully says, "'Keep moving' his mind echoed, but his body would not, could not respond."

Valynn recites:

"'Tha's it, yeh asked for it!' exclaimed the guard and with a flick of his muscular wrist the air cracked at the end of the whip."

Valynn recites:

"The thin fabric of the shirt that barely covered him shredded easily and new welts rose on his back. Old scars ripped away under the barbs of the whip. His ears rang with the whistle of the leather snake wielded by the dwarf and pain shot through his body each time it descended."

Valynn helplessly says, "'Move!' screamed his brain, but his body refused the plea."

Valynn hopelessly says, " Darkness stole him just as the blackened sole of the guard's boot smashed into his face."

(Valynn lowers her eyes and gazes at the floor, composing herself. A heavy sigh escapes her as she lifts her head and sadly gazes deeply into your eyes. Scanning the room, she continues with her tale, her voice taking on a different tone and timbre creating a new mood.)

Valynn softly says, "'Terryn...Terryn...wake up my son'."

Valynn quietly says, "He awoke slowly and sleepily gazed into her soft gray eyes."

Valynn nervously says, "'Terryn, quickly now. You must run to the forest and hide'."

Valynn quietly says, "Her voice had an odd urgency to it."

Valynn recites:

"His mother kissed the little boy softly and swiftly on the cheek, stroked his hair and sat him up in bed. Glancing out the window quickly, she scanned the tidy yard."

Valynn recites:

"Turning back to her son, she whispered, 'The dwarven legions are marching on the village. You must run and hide'."

Valynn quietly says, "'But mama...' the boy pleaded."

Saranari folds her arms across her chest.

Valynn recites:

"She cut him off with a finger to his lips and continued 'Run and hide like you have in the past. Remember when you hid so well, even you father's hunting dog could not find you? You must do that now. Do that to save your life'."

Valynn recites:

"Grabbing his woolen cloak, she draped it about his shoulders. She handed him a small sack and urged him towards the window. Outside the air was cool and eerily still. The moon shown brightly and cast long shadows over the yard. In the near-by woods, Terryn could see flickering orbs of flame bobbing in and out of the underbrush."

Valynn recites:

"She whispered in his ear, 'They are searching the forest, my son. Be swift and silent now, as your father taught you.' "

Valynn recites:

"'But mama...' he managed to squeak out, tears welling in his eyes. 'I will not leave you, I cannot. I am not afraid.'"

Valynn recites:

"Gazing into his eyes she saw his thinly concealed fright. Two crystal tears slid down her cheek as she gently kissed his forehead reassuringly."

Valynn quietly says, "'I will follow behind you, Terryn. I will meet you in the secret grove behind the moss-covered boulder. You remember the one?'."

Valynn recites:

"Terryn nodded. With one last glance at his mother, he reluctantly slipped out the window into the dark night."

Valynn recites:

"Peering into the shadows he darted for the cover of the nearby trees. He did not make it much farther when he heard the explosion. Jerking around, he saw his house erupt in flames and heard the screams of his mother."

Valynn painfully says, " And then, a more horrible sound....silence. Her screaming stopped short as hot air scorched her lungs."

Valynn hauntingly says, "Forgetting his age, he ran back towards the inferno, his only thought to save his mother."

Valynn recites:

"The dwarven raiders who had started the fire grabbed the boy, strangled him, cutting off his breath then stuffed him into a foul smelling sack so he could not move. The stench invaded his senses, his stomach roiled with rising bile and darkness overtook him."

Valynn clears her throat.

Valynn sighs heavily.

You frown.

Valynn painfully says, "A kicking in his side..."

Valynn emphatically says, "A yell..."

Valynn quietly says, "And he was awake."

Fazu stares blankly into the distance.

Valynn recites:

"'Rise, dog! To the pit wid ye!' the guard snarled, kicking the forty year old elven youth in the ribs."

Valynn quietly says, "Painfully, slowly, the young elf rose to his feet in preparation for his punishment..."

Valynn quietly says, "A punishment he had received every day since he first arrived in the mine."

(Valynn hugs her cloak close to her body, lowering her gaze to the floor. Her lips move slightly as she utters a quiet prayer to her elders, remembering the tales her grandfather told her of his youth.)

You say, "Next up, Tessette."

[Sana'ati Dyaus, Public Hall]
A large, bulging lower branch of the mighty Sana'ati Dyaus has been hollowed out to form the public auditorium here. The arching ceiling and concave walls make the acoustics perfect for speeches, bardic recitals, music and plays. Thick, sturdy grass mats form the spacious seating area, and spectators can spread out and enjoy the programs. You also see a looming Shadow Servant, a grey mouse, a banquet table draped in Bard blue with several things on it, a simple box of gifts, an open burl and a hollowed-out doorway.
Also here: Fatebound Gilyth who is sitting, Academian Tolcon who is sitting, Uthgaar, Lightcrafter Kougen, Mentor Pfanston, Frosts who is sitting, Mentor Valynn, Native Altras, Saranari, Traim who is sitting, Arourra who is sitting, Gridaksma who is sitting, Alley Fighter Allye, Ruea, Archmage Malzard, Ironman Heucuva, Researcher Miskton, Zomb, Retired Commander Xixist, Visionist Fazu, Ignifera, Perfect Storm Sebastienne, Antiquary Tessette and Fateweaver Moraxis.
Obvious exits: none.

Tessette says, "This is a bit of drivel. But I wanted to tell it because it teaches a point in it's simplicity. That under it all, our ability to meet it with a bit of humor is perhaps one of our greatest strengths."

Tessette says, "The story though is sad."

Tessette says, "My adoptive uncle had a favorite song that he often modified to suit the situation, but always employing some sort of betrayal and the refrain:."

Tessette says, "I once asked him the original and the story behind it."

Tessette says, "Sadly he was not quite sure any more as to the original."

Tessette says, "But near as I can render it, I believe it went something like this, as sung from the perspective of Kanton, so it's a bit one sided:."

Tessette says, "Well it's not coming out."

Tessette chants in a mezzo-soprano voice:

"As Kanton stood upon the far famed fields of war
He met with a certain messenger with news of his beloved Sorril
He first slung up his crossbow and then sheathed his Saber
Saying Stand aside for my love I must deliver "

"He counted not the miles, and made time aplenty
He took his lunch from his wallet and went straight home to Sorril
She had said and she had sworn that she never would deceive him
But the devil take scorned fathers-in-law and rejected grooms, for they never can be easy"

"I came into my pavilion, all for to take a slumber
I dreamt of sons and daughters and for sure it was no wonder
Sweet Sorril slept beside me never ceasing to fill me with wonder
Neither of us heard jealous Rivyn and his men, ready for the slaughter"

"It was early in the morning, as I rose up for travel
The guards were all around me and likewise jealous Rivyn
I first produced my crossbow and then my saber
But before I could ready them, my heart was pierced by treacherous Rivyn"

"My sweet Sorril then came to aid me,
Holding me in her arms, she gazes upon the jealous Riven
Then she produced my saber, held down by her side
saying 'die bold deceiver'and drove it thru his heart. "

Tessette curtsies.

You say, "Moving right along, Xixist is next."

Xixist leaps to his feet!

Xixist casually beats the dust of battle from his fighting shirt.

Xixist smiles all around.

Xixist says, "Ellos."

Xixist says, "My tale is of Human perspective."

Xixist casually observes the area.

Xixist firmly says, "So long ago the ancient ones were told stories at the firepit the way that they had always been told. Tales of the time before the Provences, before the Seven Star Empire. These are kept histories in my clan, and of my clan, so if they do not fit your teachings, you have more to learn... Things were not always as they are now. We enjoy a life of relative peace and inter-racial acceptence and comformity. The distant past was nae so. Each was born into what they were as genetics governed Elanthia. This was never more evident than in the War of Tears."

Xixist studies the faces around him.

Xixist matter-of-factly says, "We of Trefan Ulf, or as some call 'Wolf Clan', know more than most of these times we remember as our Clan was forfront in the events surrounding the Human-Elven War. In those days the roaming ways of Trefan Ulf made our clan strong with many allies including all the settled Human Clans, a friendship among the Iron Clan Dwarves and their allies, the Gor. In the year 1008 BL, Trefan Ulf chose Dragonspine to settle for the summer, a senerio manipulated by Everild and Trothfang, no doubt, as to possition their ranks for what was to come. Skirmishes amongst the Mountain Elves were rare but lethal. We 'Tall Dwarves', as they called us, had choosen a glade they held in regards. The clan decided to stay for the season, regardless. Hunting was good."

Xixist confidently says, "In that time, Trefan Ulf was led by Chieftan Ostaern, the Hearty . He was honored with a visit from another Clan's Chieftan, Kanton, who shared a tale of love and romance, family and honor, and betrayel, pitting race against race, and war. Chieftan Kanton had wed an Elven Princess, Sorril, despite her Father Kiernion's arrangements for her to marry The Mountain Queen Morganae's son Rivyn. Kanton named three clans that had mustered to his defence. The four clan's names are known but kept with the Elders as one fell from the privalige of history and the other three to avoid future retaliation... Elves remember a very long time. Upon becoming the fifth clan to join the force, Chieftan Ostaern is rembered in his words to Kanton, "We are five clans, we make a fist."

Xixist nods.

Xixist darkly says, "The Elves came, not in mercenary tactics, but in full war regiment. Battles told lasted days on end. Bow met blade, mages met berserkers. Blood flowed freely from both armies. Ostaern, seeing vulnerability in it's encampment location, ordered movement of the lightly-defended Trefan Ulf clan settlement west to safer ground. During the trek, Mountain Elves under the command of Queen Morganae, and led by her son, Prince Rivyn, engaged the women, children and elders, slaying without mercy all they came across. Fate and luck saved a few but most fell to the Elven arrows and blades; all this as the Clan's main fighting force defended a distant worthless hill from an Elven onslaught. The War of Tears had earned it's name."

Xixist sighs.

Xixist harshly says, "Chieftan Ostaern, bloodraged by the Massacre of Tears, dispatched his much younger half-brother, Tergaer, to Iron Clan requesting their aid as he rallied his troops to assault the steep mountain pass known to my clan as Vulture's Perch. The battle of the pass did not go well. Cliffside entrenchments proved unpassable and many of Trefan Ulf met their end that day. Tergaer reached Iron Clan and presented his request as an invitation and the Dwarves jumped at the opportunity to pay back an ancient debt. Upon reaching the pass, Tergaer found Osgaern mortaly wounded and calling for another assault. Knowing the fruitlessness of another direct attack, Tergaer is remembered saying to his Chieftan, " War is meat. Take a bite!" With that, Tergaer led a small force down and around to find a trail up behind and above the entrenchments as Chieftan Ostaern rose again to lead his last assault."

Xixist hopefully says, "Tergaer's unit reached the cliff edge. Hundreds of feet down housed a detail of Elven defenders slaying anything that moved on the road below. They had the perfect possition, almost. In chaotic glory, Firefall swept away the stronghold. Tergaer's tactic of setting trees alight as they were cut to topple down upon the enemy was the key of that battle's victory. Chieftan Ostaern the Hearty died that day. His last act in this life was to point at his beardless brother Tergaer and proclaim him Chieftan. None stood to challenge and all cheered when he took the past Chieftan's wolf tail and attatched it to his belt. All the Clan's Chieftans and their court were present for Ostaern's pyre. Kanton, and his Elven Princess Sorril, now with child, befriended the young Chieftan Tergaer, and he, them."

Xixist regretfully says, "The Elven legion responded to our Dwarven allies by gaining the allegiance of the Elothians, the Lords of Peace, turning their magic ways to battle against the bearded ones; and the war escalated further. Iron Clan then invited the Gor to participate in the fray which they accepted with gusto. The Elves had never seen such fighters, giants offering themselves up as fodder. Whatever it took to win the day. The tide had again turned as Kiernion and Morganae were forced to retreat. In desparation, the Elves approach the S'kra Mur, requesting aid and offering up a Provincial treasure as payment. The S'kra accepted the deal and brought their unique magic to the battlefield where they lay waste to wave after wave of our allies. A half decade of war passed."

Xixist coldly exclaims, "Tergaer stood with Kanton and the other Chieftans in the valley known to our clan as Woe Sink. The plans for victory had been overturned in battle by the addition of the S'kra and the foul magic they possesed. Bloodied and broken troops stood in defiant ranks across from a legion weilding this new weapon of scorcery. Kanton weighed his tactical options and requested of Tergaer, "If you have any ideas.." The young Chieftan immediatly dropped to one knee and bellowed out, "Trothfang, you watch and do nothing?" A voice whispers to Tergaer, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." Again he bellowed out. "Everild, you watch and do nothing?" After a pause a voice whispers back, "I must!"

Xixist nods.

Xixist enigmatically says, "A moment later a great warhorn sounded across Woe Sink. So intense was the call that it caused every soldier to fall to their knees clutching their heads. With a silent brillience of light, two towering figures appeared in the center of the battlefield, backs to Kanton's army and facing the Elven ranks. None stood and none looked as all knew that these were not Gods, but Guardians, beings that even the Gods humbled to. If they spoke, it was not to the Humans and their allies. The silence lasted for a time before the two figures vanished in silent radiant display. No orders were given and no words spoken as the two opposing armies slowly retreated from Woe Sink."

Xixist painfully says, "All returned home, Kanton to his newleywed wife Sorril who was now with child, and Tergaer to his dicimated clan. His wife and child were dead. His brother was dead. So many Clansmen, dead. Within days, skirmishes again erupted around the S'kra village of Wind Clan. In the dark of night, as Tergaer redied his Clansmen to mobilize south, A great bright flash tore open the heavens freezing the images of everything in sight followed by a catastrophic boom that threw horses and men to the ground. Something had met it's fate. Someone had challenged the Guardians. Trefan Ulf marched south to find a wasteland where once there was Wind Clan. There was no enemy. There was nothing. It was nearly over. Only two more people would die in this war."

Xixist cautiously says, "Prince Rivyn became enraged, fueled by embarrasment and jealosy. he alone stalked into Kantons clan as they relaxed in the belief of victory. The Chieftan was slain with a single stroke as he slept next to his beloved. In a rehersed motion, Sorril rolled to Kanton's sheath and drew his blade. In unbelieving vengence she slew her assailent. Upon the clan discovering their Chieftan slain, curses and threats were hurled at Sorril who was made to flee in exile. This is the reason that the name of Kanton's Clan will never be spoken. They lost the gift of history by their actions. Sorril fled to her friend at Trefan Ulf with only her beloved's blade, Glacis. Tergaer looked upon the pregnant, blood-covered, Elven Princess that had found fever in her flight and knew she must find safer haven. The Elves would kill her. Her Clan forsaked her. There was only one recorse..."

Xixist guardedly says, "The war was over. There were no winners, only losers. Chieftan Tergaer, with his four best fighters, took Sorril north to safety, to a place kept known only to the Clan Elders. This was the last to be seen of Chieftan Tergaer and the four Clansmen, as they never returned, but the mission to aid an Elven Princess, a friend, was succesfully completed as is testiment to the birth a couple months later of the twins Lanival and Sable. Forged in war, Tergaer the Beardless became Tergaer the Battlesmith and he is remembered in Clan history as being one of the youngest and greatest of all Chieftans of Trefan Ulf."

Xixist says, "To Tergaer."

Xixist takes a sip of his rum.

You say, "Next up, we have Arourra."

Arourra says, "My story was told to me by my mother who heard it from her mother. It is mostly about something that occurred after the War of Tears."

Arourra says, "I lack a flair for the dramatic arts, so forgive me if I just tell the story as it was told to me, rather plainly, as a mother would to a child whom she wishes would sleep."

Arourra wistfully says, "When I was just a small girl, my family was invited to a banquet held in Elamiri, the Mountain capital. All of those assembled wore their best finery, but we all paled in comparison to the elegance of Queen Morganae, who honored us with her presence that day."

Arourra says, "As a child, I had heard of the Queen's great strength and beauty, so one can imagine my surprise when I was unable to look upon her for she concealed her face behind a gleaming silver mask."

Arourra says, "So that night, after we returned home, I hung up my best party dress, took the ribbons out of my hair, and crawled into bed. Before I drifted off to sleep, I asked my mother why the beautiful Queen wore a mask."

Arourra says, "This is what my mother told me."

Arourra says, "As you know it is very hard for our people to bear children, so it was indeed a blessed day for the Mountain when the Queen announced she was with child. People filed into the streets and began to cheer and sing in celebration of her great fortune."

Arourra says, "It was a hard pregnancy, but the Queen had surrounded herself with the best healers in the lands. Then the sacred day came, and the Queen brought a child into the world. She named him Rivyn, and he was perhaps the most beautiful child our people had ever beheld."

Arourra says, "Over the years, people who perhaps do not understand our people have called our Queen cold, but whenever she was in the presence of her precious boy the only thing felt was love and warmth and devotion. She doted on him, yet made sure he was well versed in histories, literature and combat training as any good Mountain Elf should be."

Arourra says, "As you have likely read, the Queen arranged the best marriage for her son that she could. It was both a political marriage and a marriage of the heart, at least for Rivyn. He was matched to Sorril, the daughter of the Forest Clan leader, a woman of great beauty and grace."

Arourra coldly says, "Sorril was a fickle girl, and rather than abide by her father's wishes and join in union with Prince Rivyn, she ran off with a human named Kanton."

Arourra says, "Some say Sorril was attracted to Kanton's love for life. Humans being short lived tend to savor each and every day as if it were their last, and this excitement may have drawn her in."

Arourra says, "Whatever is said, Sorril appeared to love Kanton and not our beautiful Prince. This is all the more heartbreaking because our Prince without a doubt loved Sorril. He was heard saying that he could not wait until the day they were wed and hoped that she would one day join him in a traditional soul binding as he could not imagine living one single day without her."

Arourra says, "When Sorril ran away with Kanton, spurning our beloved Prince Rivyn, her father Keirnion declared war on the Humans and so began our great war."

Arourra says, "However, the story of the mask begins on the last day that the Mountain Clan was involved in the war. The day that Sorril killed Rivyn was perhaps the saddest day in our Queen's life. She lost her only and most beloved child to the woman she hoped would become her daughter."

Arourra sadly says, "The Queen, finding great strength from within her petite form, carried her son up to Elamiri. She took his body high into the mountains, climbing to the pool of water that we now call Morganae's Sorrow or the Pond of Tears."

Arourra says, "Here, amongst the gusting winds and snow, she carefully cleaned her beloved son's body. She washed him and wrapped him in the finest velvet cloths. All the while, her tears of pain, tears of loss, tears of the greatest sorrow a parent could ever feel tumbled down her cheeks."

Arourra says, "The wind atop the mountain was chilled and bitter, mirroring how her heart felt at the loss of her boy. As she washed him, the air grew colder. Her tears began to freeze, clinging to her beautiful cheeks."

Arourra says, "One by one, they fell from her eyes and froze against her skin. Her tears collected, forming an icy mask to hide her pain. One by one, her tears crystallized, covering our beautiful Queen until only her eyes were visible."

Arourra sadly says, "Her eyes, the window to her sorrow. Her eyes, always fixed on some distance place where her son's soul inhabited. Her eyes, remote and lost in memories of happier times."

Arourra says, "As she carried his body to its final resting place the mask began to melt. The Gods heard her wails of longing for her son, and saw her misery and took pity upon our beloved Queen."

Arourra says, "Faceless Lord Urrem'tier reached out and touched her frozen visage as he plucked the cleansed soul of her son away. Her mask of crystallized ice transformed into featureless silver to match His own. The only feature he left was an enigmatic smile. A smile that projects no emotion, for our beloved Queen, on that day, had been drained of all that she had."

Arourra says, "So you asked, my child, why does our Queen hide her beauty behind that sculpted silver mask? She does it so that her people do not have to see the great pain manifest on her features each day, and she does it as a burden to remind her to never forget all that she lost with her darling sweet boy."

Arourra gives a slight nod.

Arourra takes a seat near Gridaksma.

You say, "Next up is Ignifera Dane."

Ignifera says, "Thank you."

Ignifera says, "The War of Elven Aggression, as told to me by my Aunts Ingrid and Ilsa. Their love of learning helped to make me the person I am today."

Ignifera curtsies.

Ignifera says, "Long ago, the Elves looked upon the Human lands with envy and lust. Those of the Forest did want what my acestors held, but felt their honor prevented them from indugling in such naked greed as to march on the Human settlements when there had been no provocation. The Mountain, being the Mountain, had a different outlook on the matter, and set about putting their plan into action."

Ignifera says, "Knowing that even a surprise attack would not wipe the Humans out fully enough to take the lands before allies could arrive, and not wanting to be the ones to risk the bulk of her people when others would do just fine, the Mountain Queen set to creating a scenario where the Elves would be the aggrieved party, allowing for both the honor of the Forest Clan to remain intact, and for their calls of assistance to the Elotheans to be headed."

Ignifera says, "The Forest Clan had a royal daughter, by name of Sorril. Sorril had always been a bit headstrong, and more than a bit of a romantic. The sort of girl who dreams of true love, deep love, a love that goes beyond arrangements and politics and dowries - basically the worst sort of daughter to be in a noble family. The Mountain Queen did delight in this knowledge, for it was easy enough to put young Sorril into positions where she would meet all manner of Human men - and women, just in case - with whom she might find herself indulging in her foolish love fantasies."

Ignifera says, "Chieftons, peasants, artisans, poets - all met the elven maid unknowing of the part they were hoped to play, and she was as easily smitten as one might imagine, yet none caught her eye, caught her heart, in the way needed. That is, of course, until she met Kanton."

Ignifera says, "Kanton was strong and proud, but also gentle in a way that resonated with Sorril. In him, she found a man that matched her youthful idealism, and her heart did burn."

Ignifera exclaims, "When her agents reported that the match had finally been made, the Mountain Queen rejoiced. Soon, the war she wanted could occur with so very little resistence that it would be as if the Immortals themselves deemed it so!"

Ignifera says, "She wasted no time in approaching the Forest Clan's leader - Sorril's father - and arranging a cementing of the sometimes shakey relations between them and the Mountain by way of the marriage of her son to his daughter."

Ignifera says, "Sorril was despondant when told of her duty, but torn. Her heart cried out for Kanton, yet the ways of her people held strong sway, even in one so headstrong as herself. She might have stayed and married the Mountain Prince, too, if not for the encouragement of one of her handmaidens. A slim girl from a well bred family who had fallen on hard times, the handmaiden had long since come into the service of the Mountain as a means of bolstering her family's position. You know, politics and promises and all that."

Ignifera says, "So off Sorril went, on her destined wedding night no less, the added insult of which was no accident. She and Kanton were wed by his Clan, because, really, who exactly was going to say no to the Clan leader when he said he was getting married, even if it was to an elf? Not knowing who the elven girl was, of course, certainly helped the lack of dissent as well."

Ignifera exclaims, "And so, the Mountain Queen did get her war. Allies joined, forces clashed, blood ran across the contested fields as foul magics summoned forth the eradication of entire peoples and the intervention of the beings known as the Guardians!"

Ignifera asks, "Probably not exactly what Morganae had expected, really, but it's what she got. And since the Elves looked to be falling after the whole 'exploding S'kra Clan that takes out half of the fighting forces on their own side' portion of the battle, she went forward with the next best option - assassination of Kanton. Surely the Humans would scatter and lose the will to fight when their rallying point was taken from them?"

Ignifera exclaims, "The exact amount that the Elves misjudged the Humans in this was nothing short of their final undoing. Kanton's murder by the Mountain Prince fueled the Human fighters to feats greater than ever before seen, and worst of all for the Mountain Queen, the girl she'd thought of as only a patsy slew her son in return!"

Ignifera says, "Most say Sorril did it out of grief for losing Kanton, but the truth was seen by the Human attendants in the tent that night. Yes, the elven woman was distraught at her love's death, this is true, but in this grief she was but as a statue, clutching the lifeless body to her chest. It was not until the Mountain Prince spoke to her that she made any motion, any sound. As he leaned into the girl, prying her taut fingers from the blood soaked clothing, he told her that her love was a sham, a plot, a fabrication made only for this moment. And so, Sorril's heart, once a flame, then a stone, did become a sword, and thrust itself into the Prince's own withered heart."

Ignifera says, "And that is how the Elves came to lose their war of hatred and petty jealousy."

Ignifera says, "Not through the fighting of men, but through the love of a woman."

Ignifera curtsies.

Ignifera says to you, "Thank you for the time to speak."

You say, "Next up is Miskton!"

Miskton says, "This isn't exactly a story about the War of Tears, but it has its roots in that war. I first heard it from my uncle, but I've heard a few variations since then. It has been a long time, at least as humans reckon it, and stories have a way of changing in the telling."

Miskton says, "I'll try to do my best to tell it as my uncle told it to me."

Miskton appears to be trying hard not to grin.

Miskton says, "People have already gone over the deaths of Kanton and Rivyn, and that's not surprising. It was an important point in the war, but it's not only history that had its attention drawn to it. Nobody seems to know if it was one of the gods taking an interest, or a hex from Morganae, but what has been passed down is that something happened to the sword Glisinais after that tragic day."

Miskton says, "In the confusion after the deaths, the sword came into the possession of one of Kanton's clansmen, who was then involved in the final rout of the elves. It was war, so perhaps it was not surprising that he was struck down. But that was only the beginning. The sword passed from owner to owner, frequently claimed from the battlefield by blood soaked hands."

Miskton says, "Anyone who came into possession of the sword was sure to die an untimely death, and generally quite soon after acquiring it."

Miskton says, "Eventually, word began to get around. Some of the deaths were extremely swift, and not only on the battlefield. Tragic accidents, misunderstandings..."

Miskton says, "Once an assassin got his hands on the blade, and intended to use it to slay his target. While he was sneaking through the house, however, the blade slipped from his hand, falling on his foot and causing him to cry out. He was caught by some very unsympathetic men."

Miskton says, "Some people recognized the blade for what it was, and tried to make use of it. A wealthy merchant got his hands on the blade, and then swiftly gave it as a 'gift' to a rival. He was quite annoyed when nothing seemed to happen, and his rival was perfectly healthy, and in fact his business was booming."

Miskton says, "The merchant decided to take more drastic measures, ambushing the rival on the road with some hired thugs. Both he and his rival died in the ensuing melee."

Miskton says, "The merchant decided to take more drastic measures, ambushing the rival on the road with some hired thugs. Both he and his rival died in the ensuing melee."

Miskton says, "Eventually the blade came into the possession of a smith who knew it for what it was. He was a big, burly Gor'Tog, and he decided to put an end to the blade once and for all. He clamped it to a workbench, brought out a hammer, and smashed it to shards."

Miskton says, "Unfortunately for him, one of the shards flew directly into his eyes."

Miskton says, "But even that wasn't the end. A very foolish apprentice managed to collect one of the shards and reforge it into a smaller blade, which has continued to leave a bloody path behind it, as it moved from one owner to another."

Miskton says, "And in fact, I have managed to track down this very blade! But of course, I don't actually believe all these tales."

Miskton says, "But even that wasn't the end. A very foolish apprentice managed to collect one of the shards and reforge it into a smaller blade, which has continued to leave a bloody path behind it, as it moved from one owner to another."

Miskton says, "And in fact, I have managed to track down this very blade! But of course, I don't actually believe all these tales."

Miskton draws forth an ebony-hilted stiletto.

Miskton waves an ebony-hilted stiletto around.

Miskton says, "Perfectly harmless, except to whoever I might try to stick it in, of course."

Miskton takes a step forward, and seems to trip.)

Miskton exclaims, "Whoop!"

Miskton falls over.

Miskton clutches his chest with an anguished expression.

(Miskton goes limp.)

Miskton says, "Ah. Yes, my mother was quite upset with my uncle after that story."

Miskton says, "I think my uncle kept count of how many children he managed to make cry with that one. He always had some candy to give out afterwards, though, so nobody was too scarred."

You ask, "Well, it seems we are done with tonights entries. Does anyone have any questions for me or any of the storytellers who are still present?"

Xixist says, "I gotta say..."

Xixist says, "Havin des tales shows many the other side o the story."

Xixist says, "Tis a grand event."

Xixist nods to you.

Traim says to you, "Thanks for hosting, it was a great topic."

Sebastienne says to Ignifera, "I think we should make ourselves scarce before the Hounds zero in."

Traim asks, "Amazing the ripples thrown into the web by a single choice eh?"

Arourra says to you, "Thank you for sharing your insight and story. I had a wonderful time."

You say to Arourra, "I'm glad and thank you for your tale, I didn't expect to hear something like that."

- Terra
Re: Talespinning: Elven-Human War Stories (long log) 12/13/2010 08:18 AM CST
Another great story-telling event by the looks of it. I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to make it, but I'm looking forward to more in the future for certain. Thanks, Terra!