What do you remember? 07/03/2010 05:55 AM CDT
Just a random topic starter motivated by some work on the Heritage quests...

If you could pick one, and only one, event that you'd consider important in Bardic history - what would it be?

Feel feel to include as many or as few details as you'd like and define "important" - to the guild, to yourself (as a character or player), whatever.

I'd start this off with a bardic memory of my own - but as most of you know I don't really have much of a bardic background so I'm going to cheat and answer "The Mirror Wraith Prophecy".

-Raesh
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 08:12 AM CDT
Ohh, there was this time that Dragon Priest Assassins would appear out of nowhere and attack Bards at random. I remember Aveda and I had this epic fight with one on the Mriss ferry. I think that was the event where some guy was using Bard bones in order to create some sick instrument. It was pretty gruesome and pretty awesome all around.

That event was one of the only events that actually made me want to participate. Most others are Meh for me.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 10:33 AM CDT
Hmmm I'm sad to say I haven't been able to participate in many Bard events but when they had wren captured and we were all fighting and praying for her that was cool. The guy was trying to make the Bards sing for something. I was only around for part of that event due to RL so I don't know the particulars, I just remember thinking it was cool Bard stuff.

There was also the Karovaas stuff which was a BUNCH of fun. Karovaas was this sort of rebel Bard back from the days when Siryn was around. Karovaas had his own interpretation of how the Bard guild should be run, and it was in conflict with what Siryn's teachings were. I think Karovaas was more bent on power and magical and he's the first one we saw reference the naga. I really liked that event because it explored an entirely new realm of Bardic history as it was being created.

I'd like to see more like the Cleric's Flames of Ushnish event. It was kind of small, with a guildleader going to uncover the spell. But if you read the enchante journals about how each enchante was discovered, I just think it was pretty cool. I'd like to see some quests or events surrounding new screams or new enchantes or anything. I just think as a Lore prime guild who is actually focused on events, record keeping and Lore that we should have more events surrounding our guild. As it stands, no guild gets more event attention than the Moon Mages. I'd like to see the Bards get some attention, that would ideally bring to life more aspects of Bards than the stereotypes already adrift right now.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 10:37 AM CDT
Are you asking for a defining guild moment from all of the guild's history or something from a character's actual experience or memory?

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 02:22 PM CDT
Either or.

-Raesh
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 04:05 PM CDT
Well, if you're looking at it from the bard guild's history I'd mark the guild restoration as the most important event.

From my personal point of view the Medmaev event wins hands down. Take a crazy, powerful ex head of the songsworn bard with a tragic story, coupled with guest apperances from everyone's favorite "I want your music box" mage and wrap it up with some good old necromancy, bard killing, a Silvyrfrost abduction ect ect and I'm hooked.

As a side note, I think the heritages future release has great RP potential as well. One possible venue for example is some guild higher ups not being very favorable to a "sect" split.

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 04:38 PM CDT
>>One possible venue for example is some guild higher ups not being very favorable to a "sect".

While that was sorta a mini theme with the moon mage sects, do not expect that with the Heritages.

I'm not saying there won't be some good RP chances with their release (And existence) just that that particular angle isn't going to happen. Heritages are aspects of the Bard guild, whereas Moon Mage sects have their own identities separate from the Moon Mage guild. You can have sects without Moon Mages, you cannot have Heritages without Bards.

-Raesh
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 06:14 PM CDT
Well, if you're speaking about bardic events that our characters have witnessed, sadly I'd have to say I've witnessed none. There hasn't been any since I've started my bard.

So my character learning the guild's history is what affected her which means multiple events.

The events that shaped the guild, hands down, are the fall and the restoration with everything that had to go on between for the guild to survive. There is at least one bard in plat that remembers the events surrounding Medmaev.

I'm going to suggest another event in the guild's history that is more of something that might influence a Taleweaver - Aurilae's sacrifice near Fayin's Rest that is memorialized on a nearby obelisk and immortalized in The Bardess.

~Faih

Playing of the lute
Poetic power.
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 06:49 PM CDT
As for something from a Lorekeeper perspective, it's a story in progress that I created fitting into that period of time between the fall and restoration of the guild which centers around a particular part of the guild's history and how it was preserved. Full of intrigue...LOL.

I should probably finish that and send it to ya for fun.

~Faih

Playing of the lute
Poetic power.
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 10:30 PM CDT
The Arthe Dale performances were great. I miss them! I know that's not an event but many events over many years. Past that, everyone's mentioned my history events that I was around for.

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 11:25 PM CDT
I'm not saying there won't be some good RP chances with their release (And existence) just that that particular angle isn't going to happen. Heritages are aspects of the Bard guild, whereas Moon Mage sects have their own identities separate from the Moon Mage guild. You can have sects without Moon Mages, you cannot have Heritages without Bards.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm hoping the heritage release will be used as an rp storyline and not just a mechanic release. I'm not sold on any one course of action, and the above was just an example (even though I'll admit I think the option of a little dissent in the guild could be fun).

Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 11:36 PM CDT
"From my personal point of view the Medmaev event wins hands down. Take a crazy, powerful ex head of the songsworn bard with a tragic story, coupled with guest apperances from everyone's favorite "I want your music box" mage and wrap it up with some good old necromancy, bard killing, a Silvyrfrost abduction ect ect and I'm hooked."

For me as well.

This was a fantastic event and so well done. We could all participate to some degree and even though dying happened here and there, it was being immersed in the ongoing story that was so much fun.

Plus Ezruh was involved and he is one of my favorites.
Re: What do you remember? 07/03/2010 11:55 PM CDT
>>"From my personal point of view the Medmaev event wins hands down..."

Best part of that whole event was the typo of a placeholder name left in the messaging during the final confrontation. For those wondering, in dev the hideous instrument made from the harvested bones of Bards was... a xylobone.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: What do you remember? 07/04/2010 12:17 AM CDT
You know, I initially felt horrible about the xylobone accidentally retaining its nickname.

But looking back now, it didn't hurt anything, and it's kinda funny. :D Oh well!

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: What do you remember? 07/05/2010 10:02 AM CDT
A couple of extra positive points in favor of the Medmaev event and the way it was run:

A) It was successfully run despite time correlation with the outcast war. It might not have been big in terms of game wide event, but it was big in terms of a bard guild event, yet it didn't seem to need a whole lot of GMs to keep it running.

B) The time of the final confrontation was known in advance. This gave time to people like me with conflicting time zones to plan ahead.

C) It had two immediate offshoot events. One that came into frution - (Linet and the cursed Fife recovered from Medmaev's belongings), and another that seems to have been abandoned - Saechilaya (or however her name is spelt) abandoning the songsworn and seeing with the "wrong" kind of people. In a sense, we ended up exactly where we started with a defected songsworn (albit not quite as mad).

Oh yes, and the Xylobone was great. You think the peddler might be able to obtain a couple of thise? ;P

Re: What do you remember? 07/05/2010 07:14 PM CDT
>>It had two immediate offshoot events. One that came into frution - (Linet and the cursed Fife recovered from Medmaev's belongings), and another that seems to have been abandoned - Saechilaya (or however her name is spelt) abandoning the songsworn and seeing with the "wrong" kind of people. In a sense, we ended up exactly where we started with a defected songsworn (albit not quite as mad).

Saechilaya has been back around, by the way. Not with great frequency, but she has been out in a songsworn capacity.

>>Oh yes, and the Xylobone was great. You think the peddler might be able to obtain a couple of thise? ;P

Where's the "hell no" option? :D

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: What do you remember? 07/05/2010 07:17 PM CDT
Thought my post looked wrong. It's Saecihlaya, not Saechilaya.

We need names like "Bob" in the guild. Songsworn Bob. Guildleader Anne. Shopkeeper Jim. Etc.

Oh well...

-V.

-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: What do you remember? 07/05/2010 08:18 PM CDT
Overlord Reash.

-Raesh
Re: What do you remember? 07/06/2010 01:28 AM CDT
The only real Bard event I was even remotely involved with was during the Gorbesh War, and I was both young and clueless at the time. The experience cemented my love of DR, I think, but not specifically of Bards.

I think the event that made me feel the most Bardly was the events surrounding the Adan'f, Xerasyth, and specifically Iszanua in Shard. I've always felt that to play a Bard you have to be versatile and be quick with both items and spoken word to get through situations since Enchantes are such a pain at times. During the event in question, I got information from the GMPC Iszanua using song-games where I would sing leading songs to try to get her to say what I was describing. It was a ton of fun, and even more fun when the other PCs involved began hounding me for it.

I utilized a TON of RF runes to sneak into town and around the area undetected. I used a lizard charm I have to contact Cierzen the Guard Captain with details on where we could meet so I could pass on intel. I used Resolve from RF to knock people down in the safe room to gain credit with the Adan'f. I used sigils to mess up peoples moongates. I even dropped labeled satchels from RF during one battle in the Woods with weird keys I had lying around in my vault to mislead people into searching for a door that wasn't there to get them off my back briefly. Issus got the crap kicked out of him daily, but the pursuit of information that could potentially serve to help people was worth it to Issus. I even tried to get the one Adan'f (cowardly MM one, can't recall his name) to overthrow Vigther but that kind of backfired...

Anyway, that's probably the time I felt most like Issus was performing his responsibilities as a Bard most thoroughly. Afterwards, I had an absolutely disastrous run as Court Bard and realized I'm really, really not cut out for that kind of role in DR, but I think it's clear not everyone in the guild plays the same.

-=Issus=-
Re: What do you remember? 07/06/2010 08:42 AM CDT
Personally, my favorite event was Sorrows War in general. While the main plot was a ton of fun to be involved in I absolutely loved the interconnected side plot of Sidhlot hunting Bards down for his evil necromantic practices. It really did a perfect job of tying Bards into the "bigger picture" for once. Ill never forget the night when he abducted Lukka and Rikulf was so enraged i watched (from hiding) him fight a one man battle all the way to the gates of Sorrows keep... it was epic.

Regards,
Vteec
Re: What do you remember? 07/06/2010 03:25 PM CDT
Yeah part of the Lyras event was my favorite too, when Zamidren Book was out and I happened to walk into him as he was examining one of the blood symbols painted on the wall. Everyone was basically depending on me to help decipher the meaning behind it because of our perceive history and it was so much fun.

I've had a lot of fun doing performances at different vigils and stuff too. I suck at writing songs, but sometimes I can put together a decent playact for a purely instrumental performance which is something I think that DR had previously lacked.

I'd love to see song scrolls for instrumental pieces, as an aside.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.
Re: What do you remember? 09/05/2010 12:33 AM CDT
<<We need names like "Bob" in the guild. Songsworn Bob.>>

sorry. we got to him first and tainted his soul. Necrobob will never be a bard...

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath