Enchantes Update: Where to go from here. 04/15/2002 04:44 PM CDT
All right folks, after some nice discussion we've got some updates to give to you regarding enchantes. I'm posting it here so that it'll be easily referred back to in the upcoming discussions, and I or other members of the team will post updates and/or amendments as needed.

Sometime this year the enchante system will be moving to be part of the general magic system under Team Magic. Hoome (and the rest of the team) will still be able to assist in the creation and conversion of enchantes should they wish, but this will add the members of the Magic Team to the arsenal of hands able to help with enchantes.

Team Magic offered to assimilate bardic magic back in October, but this was put off until the Magic 2.1 rewrite because the majority of the bardic populace was discouraged by having to wait until May/June for a new enchante. It was totally unforseen that the release of the enchante would need to be postponed until this late anyway.

The fact that the conversion of bardic magic is taking place after the general magical rewrite has nothing to do with getting the short end of the stick, the fact that there aren't enough bardic players, the fact that some people think we are not a magic guild, or that not enough moolah is being shoved forth. (All of which I feel are untrue anyway.) It was a strategic decision that seemed appropriate at the time, and one we are doing a great deal to compensate for now. Period.

During the transition of enchantes over to the magic system, all effort will be made to convert the existing enchantes over so that they are indistinguishable from their current incarnations. This means you'll still be using SING, CHANT, and PLAY to sustain your enchantes, they won't become PREP and CAST magical spells. That part will be largely an invisible change, but allow us to make enchantes more 'plug and play' in the future, much like magical spells are now. Though I don't forsee it, if any radical changes do need to be made, we'll touch base with you to let you know.

Among other things, what we are currently assessing at this point are the current and proposed enchantes, the nonworking enchantes (meaning, those you have learned the slots for but not gained), those in development, and how to proceed with them keeping in mind that the system will be converted over to Team Magic this year.

Any responses to this should be tucked into the enchantes folder. We'll let you know more as things progress.

Deryka