Prev_page Previous 1
Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 04:44 PM CDT
Has there been any ideas about any weapon types that only barbarians can forge?

also did anything ever come out of the forging counter?
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 04:48 PM CDT
Also wanted to say NO Katanas

You hear the ghostly voice of Ragran say, "You wont take me alive!"
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 05:42 PM CDT
>Has there been any ideas about any weapon types that only barbarians can forge?

Not yet.

>also did anything ever come out of the forging counter?

No, and purposefully.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 09:26 PM CDT

<<<Also wanted to say NO Katanas>>>

If you don't wan't a katana, don't pick one up. No reason other people should not have that option IMO.

Heitak
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 09:39 PM CDT
>No reason other people should not have that option IMO.

I'm sorry, but while I generally would agree, katanas are a specific annoyance to me. The way people treat katanas as superswords and the often accompanying "I am NINJA/SAMURI!" bugs the heck out of me.

I'm not sure I'd say ban them (too late anyways), but I'd be happy if I never saw the word again in DR.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 09:40 PM CDT
>If you don't wan't a katana, don't pick one up. No reason other people should not have that option IMO.

Let's apply this logic to everything!

Cannons, lasers, guns, slaves, pet clerics and empaths, afk scripting, buying/selling plats/chars, OOC chat. I mean, if you don't want to be exposed or effected by all those, just don't buy/use one.

I can't speak for every player. But I myself don't want to see katanas as a normal (read: non-high-end auction) weapon because I'm tired of every joe idiot playing a ninja, a truly tired and tiring one dimensional character. It's also tied into anime/manga/etc. very deeply, which crosses genres in a way no one but a very skilled and dedicated RP'er will actually pull off as anything other than a Guts/Naruto/Bleach/Book-of-the-month ripoff.

I'm tired of weaboos and hearing about how great and supperior Japan is. And if you think for a second katanas don't bring that element out like roaches on sugar, you're fooling yourself.

Hey look ma! There are rules to useing quotations!
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 10:26 PM CDT
It's my understanding that katanas will be considered a 'purple' type weapon. If someone ever has the chance to forge one, it will most likely be a single/limited use instruction option and not something easily obtained in order to prevent mass production.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 10:29 PM CDT
>It's my understanding that katanas will be considered a 'purple' type weapon.

That's my understanding as well, but I still have a burning hatred for them.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/11/2011 11:03 PM CDT
>I can't speak for every player. But I myself don't want to see katanas as a normal (read: non-high-end auction) weapon because I'm tired of every joe idiot playing a ninja, a truly tired and tiring one dimensional character. It's also tied into anime/manga/etc. very deeply, which crosses genres in a way no one but a very skilled and dedicated RP'er will actually pull off as anything other than a Guts/Naruto/Bleach/Book-of-the-month ripoff.

Should I go through the dog and pony show of repeating this rant with a few key word changes to make it into an equally valid argument against longbows, or can we just agree that you have a very personal bias toward what is "valid" Fantasy that DR as a whole, thankfully, does not share?

The irony here is that keeping katana an extremely rare, high auction quality item ensures that they retain the mythical, drool-worthy status in DR that you seem to be against.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 12:18 AM CDT
>>The irony here is that keeping katana an extremely rare, high auction quality item ensures that they retain the mythical, drool-worthy status in DR that you seem to be against.

lol I was just thinking that to myself right before I read this.

Also, I'm a sound ninja and I don't use a katana :(

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 04:58 AM CDT
>>Should I go through the dog and pony show of repeating this rant with a few key word changes to make it into an equally valid argument against longbows, or can we just agree that you have a very personal bias toward what is "valid" Fantasy that DR as a whole, thankfully, does not share?

Say whatever you want about Drizzt (even though he doesn't actually use a longbow, I suppose), but Rangers use longbows, and Rangers are in the game. Ninjas are not.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 05:17 AM CDT
<<Rangers are in the game. Ninjas are not.

Probably want to rethink that.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 05:23 AM CDT
>>Probably want to rethink that.

There's nothing to rethink. Katanas would probably be terrible for backstabbing anyways. Terrible roleplayers are terrible roleplayers and will find ways to roleplay terribly no matter how many avenues for such exist to them.

I'm personally neutral on the katanas stance, but I tend to agree that their in-game mystique might die down if everyone could have one like a bastard sword.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 05:46 AM CDT
It will probably hurt your soul to discover this but:

You are wearing a black cloth balaclava, a Katamba-black pack, a heavy black jacket with overlapping lapels secured with a black cotton belt, some fingerless black gloves, a Katamba-black sheath, some black trousers, and some split-toed black cloth boots.

Katanas are a) heavy edged or two-handed edged, b) slashing weapons, and c) awesome for ambushing.

Besides, ninjas are a part of at least one guild's lore.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 06:10 AM CDT
>>Katanas are a) heavy edged or two-handed edged, b) slashing weapons

I know this, I'm not sure why you're telling me this or what it has to do with any of my statements.

>>c) awesome for ambushing.

That's a silly claim. They do not receive some sort of bonus to ambushing; assuming you have sufficient stealth skill to ambush your target, any weapon would be great for ambushing, even a halberd or whatever other ridiculous weapon you might concoct. Unless by "awesome for ambushing" you mean you enjoy the mental image of it, in which case that is subjective and I don't wish to detract from your fun.

>>Besides, ninjas are a part of at least one guild's lore.

No, they're not. I don't mean "stealthy assassins or spies," I mean ninjas, specifically, referred to as ninjas in-game. While some in-game lore has derived elements of ninja lore, there's nothing you can point at and say "these as Dragonrealms ninjas," because Dragonrealms lacks the requisite combination of feudal system along with feudal Japanese notions of shame and honor.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 06:16 AM CDT
We need to get some tomahawks up this joint while we're at it.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 06:19 AM CDT
>>We need to get some tomahawks up this joint while we're at it.

Not until I can make a Gnome Bard who is a mad genius and invents a mana-powered laser cannon that attacks using alchemy ranks like TM ranks :(
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 06:25 AM CDT
A tomahawk is simply a piece of wood and a piece of metal. Give a fella a break. Besides, I want to throw it at Caraamon while he fills workorders for katanas.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 07:09 AM CDT
lol

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 08:41 AM CDT
<<No, they're not.

Hint: it's not Thieves.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 09:01 AM CDT
>Should I go through the dog and pony show of repeating this rant with a few key word changes to make it into an equally valid argument against longbows, or can we just agree that you have a very personal bias toward what is "valid" Fantasy that DR as a whole, thankfully, does not share?

In a midevil European style fantasy game, part and parcel of the genre is going to be elves and bows. I'm tired of them to, but at this point I can't rail against their addition. And honestly there's a difference. If only in pure numbers, I'd guess there are a few hundred times more stupid wannabe ninjas than wannabe drizzts.

Hey look ma! There are rules to useing quotations!
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 09:10 AM CDT
<<feudal Japanese notions of shame and honor.>>

hmm. probably more akin to paladins there.

really, any weapon is what you make of it. whether the "original" comes from asian, african,european, or heck, Klingon fantasy.

if it can be used to beat, poke, slice or dice something to death, a barbarian should be able to wield it. :-)

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 03:10 PM CDT
My hate for katanas come from the over hyped ninja lovin 80's and 90's but also from an OOC (out of context) point of view. For a game based solely on language, it makes no sense whatsoever for out characters to see an item from another culture based on a completely different language and instantly know the name. Since DR is based on medieval Europe, someone who was shown a katana would call it a sword. Its also my biggest complaint against racial weapons.
My human character doesnt speak rakash, elven, or gorbesh. If you show him a varda svidaw cirvi he will call it an axe.

>You are wearing a black cloth balaclava, a Katamba-black pack, a heavy black jacket with overlapping lapels secured with a black cotton belt, some fingerless black gloves, a Katamba-black sheath, some black trousers, and some split-toed black cloth boots.

I dont see the word ninja once. You are simply attaching your own OOC concept to a balaclava, jacket, gloves, trousers, and boots. Just because it looks like ninja attire doesnt mean it will be perceived as ninja attitre by characters who dont know what a "ninja" is.

>Besides, ninjas are a part of at least one guild's lore.

I would like to see the word ninja used in a guild's lore.

Ps. One of the better alterations I have seen was an altered bastard sword that had the perfect description of a katana but was still a "bastard sword" or maybe "long sword"

Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 03:27 PM CDT
<<Since DR is based on medieval Europe,>>

not strictly. if someone thought you could use "magic" in medieval Europe, you were burned at the stake. There are several items ingame that come from a less euro-centric theme. weapon-types from the middle east, africa, and eastern lands as well. There are many elements on Aesry which are reminescent of asia, including the type of housing available. And, there have been kimonos sold in-game. So I don't think we have to be so narrow-minded as to limit ourselves to the history of only one type of culture, elements from many cultures can appear within the game.

Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 04:57 PM CDT
>For a game based solely on language, it makes no sense whatsoever for out characters to see an item from another culture based on a completely different language and instantly know the name. Since DR is based on medieval Europe, someone who was shown a katana would call it a sword. Its also my biggest complaint against racial weapons.

Probably the only good argument in this thread. On the other hand, I could take this same argument to the logical extreme and lobby to have every scimitar, cutlass and claymore renamed "sword" as well. If the word is understood in English then it is a useful tool for describing the subtle differences in length, curvature and appearance that weapons come in without having to individually inspect every single one of them.

Katana is, in the strictest sense, applied to any kind of single-edged sword of any origin and doesn't necessarily refer to a Japanese sword. However, as a tool to invoke the image of a traditional samurai sword it's no worse than hundreds of things already in game that nobody bats an eye at. This is purely an issue of bias against one specific culture (which is already abundantly represented in game) and a certain sub-section of role players.

Raging against katanas makes about as much sense as trying to have silk, Champagne and Horse Clan removed from the game.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes

P.S. Ninjas didn't even use katanas.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/12/2011 07:24 PM CDT
>not strictly...

I said based on not a replication of medieval Europe.

Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/13/2011 12:37 PM CDT

I was kind of hoping this thread would be about something cool and related to its title. Like maybe... Can we expect to see high quality barbarian only weapons in the future? I've always been disappointed by the lack of high quality or nifty weapons with special abilities specifically for barbarians.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/13/2011 01:54 PM CDT
>I was kind of hoping this thread would be about something cool and related to its title. Like maybe... Can we expect to see high quality barbarian only weapons in the future? I've always been disappointed by the lack of high quality or nifty weapons with special abilities specifically for barbarians.

That's what it started out as... Then it quickly dissolved into an argument about why katanas should/shouldn't be allowed in the game as a whole. I personally have no view on the matter which is why I didn't comment. Well, that along with the fact that this thread is so off topic it resembles...well.... this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6arBYkKrAc
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/13/2011 02:35 PM CDT

///P.S. Ninjas didn't even use katanas.///

So true, it was called a ninja-to. It had a straight edge ( great for backstabbing) was also used as a tool for climbing as well as many other tricks it had built into it, and was made to be thrown away if it had to be. Many of the ninjas sword techniques use power assists because these weapons were not made as Katanas were and because of that did not have the same crazy edge. This is a game..I started off with a character when I was young I wanted to be a "ninja" and found it to be much fun to just take those ideas and apply them to the already in game tools I had to play with built into the race I chose. A race I feel is partly designed after Japanese culture ( the Elotheans ).

I like racial weapons, the idea that these races have been dealing with each other for this long and don't know the common words used for each others items as we do now is silly. These races built and destroyed empires with and against each other but they have no clue what the names for a swords are? and you call yourself a warrior? like know thy enemy? Meh. Like I said this is a game, it's for fun and stupid people will do stupid things no matter what options they have, so limiting other peoples options to try and stop stupidity is probably not the best course of action to take. IMHO.

Heitak

P.S Just in case you don't speak S'Kra Heitak means Beast.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/13/2011 09:48 PM CDT
>>I was kind of hoping this thread would be about something cool and related to its title. Like maybe... Can we expect to see high quality barbarian only weapons in the future? I've always been disappointed by the lack of high quality or nifty weapons with special abilities specifically for barbarians.

Besides maybe cool "features" I doubt barbarian only weapons with better stats will exists with how the current caps are set pretty high. But maybe I good discussion would be what sort of features would a barbarian weapon have, that doesn't surpass the current damage stats?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/13/2011 10:44 PM CDT

Weapon swung with such force and speed when swung it cuts through the air doing damage to people at pole range with a non pole weapon. Or even a special attack that could do this. Or maybe it disrupts magic in someway? Or a far higher chance to stun, or stuns past people with anti stun magic up, or negates or partially negates magic barriers? Maybe some kind of damage bonus or magic spell penetration. Just a bunch of ideas.

Heitak
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 12:19 AM CDT
Well let's consider something...

The paladins are the only Armor primary guild in the game, similar to the barbarians being the only weapon primary. Now, when I think of paladin and their primary skillset, the first thing I think of is not that they should have "special" weapons, but I think of the fact that they and they alone posses the ability to appraise armor to a more precise degree.

I think that'd be a great place to start for Barbarians. To be able to appraise weapons to a higher degree... just a thought.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 01:53 AM CDT
the current "barbarian-only" weapons are such because they are "imbued with inner fire", at least the ones that have been sold in fests. perhaps barbarians will be able to do this themselves with a weapon if it is 'enchanted" by a barbarian.

Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 02:40 AM CDT
To be honest... I've always felt like Barbarians should get more of the weapons that Thieves seem to get so much, except instead of being stealth themed in their abilities, ours would be strength or gore or damage themed. Things that work with inner-fire are nice, but it has to actually do something if it's not going to be anywhere near a capped normal metal forged weapon... I'm not using a moderate slice broadsword because the handle pulses red every 3 minutes. The ability to parry spells or arrows would be pretty nifty on a barbarian weapon. Some boost to weapon skill or the new melee or ranged mastery...Really anything that is functional in combat. Hell, I might use the inner fire weapons if they functioned as a light source in darkly lit areas... But I'm not going to use a weapon that's half as effective because it has a couple of verbs.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 08:02 AM CDT
<<Hell, I might use the inner fire weapons if they functioned as a light source in darkly lit areas...>>

excellent idea.

Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 10:54 AM CDT
There have been a few Barbarian-only weapons that appraise quite nicely, but they were all sold at auction for thousands of plats. I agree, the old inner fire weapons that burned the hands of non-Barbs seem pretty lackluster after new forging, but then it's been forever since they were released. Maybe something will feature in Hollow's Eve.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 12:21 PM CDT
>The ability to parry spells or arrows would be pretty nifty on a barbarian weapon.

As a barbarian you can already parry arrows as long as you are at the range of your weapon... pole for greatswords/pikes/halberd, melee for the rest.

What I think would be awesome is to imbue a weapon with the ability to challenge parry vs. DFA spells, and possible send some damage back.

When I think of this, I imagine a hulking warrior from a book fighting a mage who's on a hill. The mage calls down a bolt of lightening(LB), and the warrior catches it with his sword, and swings it back to the mage. The mage has an equal change to dodge the spell.

Although I realize that MU would never go for such a thing, because after all...Barbarians, the masters of combat and everything to do with it, are already too good.......bunch of whiners.....
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 02:00 PM CDT
>Although I realize that MU would never go for such a thing, because after all...Barbarians, the masters of combat and everything to do with it, are already too good.......bunch of whiners.....

Masters of weapons. Not even 'physical combat' since rangers and thieves are arguably better at stealth/ranged. Let alone better at armor/defense or supernatural stuff.

I'd go for some type of hi level feat with severe IF cost for the ability though.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/14/2011 03:47 PM CDT
I'd like to see a DFA mundane weapon, like a new boomerang or something, that would function on the same mechanics as DFA spells in 3.0 (read: not broken, presumably, just an interesting niche weapon based on opponent type). Not necessarily Barbarian-only, I'd just like to see more done with normal weapons. Nets/whips to entangle based on throwing ranks, etc.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 10:40 AM CDT
I've off and on looked for a niche to add Parry to the TM contest for years, conceptually using some kind of special weapon that interferes with/cuts up the targeting matrix. We've never been able to make it work at the game balance level, though.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Prev_page Previous 1