Mech usage in the forge 01/05/2009 01:11 PM CST
So I recently learned a little about forging and was trying my hand. I ended up breaking all my ingots on the anvil, which I expected. The question I had though... What are the recommended ranks of mech to be in the forge? I know mech plays into FF and all that, but this isn't about FF I don't think. Does pounding a blade depend upon FF or mech? I was trying to make a claymore (FF 142.4) and kept breaking them. Switched to a cutlass (FF ~138) and broke it as well. According to people I've talked to, even with my low FFs I should still be able to make storebought+ quality weapons.

2HE - 177
ME - 167
HE - 100
LE - 100
MU - 71
Re: Mech usage in the forge 01/05/2009 02:15 PM CST
Lonur, I've always heard that either a FF of 200 or mech lore of 200 (I can't remember which) results in a better success rate. Either way, when I had my paladin in TF he was still breaking stuff with Mech over 500, and all forging factors over 500 as well for all metal armors.

I did notice a significant drop in the frequency of breakage with mech lore over 500 however, so I would think you would be better off with mech above 200, than just a forging factor above that number.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Mech usage in the forge 01/05/2009 09:03 PM CST
From my experiences anything less than a FF of 200 + mech of less than 200 will result in wasted time and effort. Even then, expect to lose 2/3 of your work. Keep working Mech even in combat carry 2 full pyramids (carry them in Canvas sacks sold in crossing) and drop em when training.

- Denz
Re: Mech usage in the forge 01/05/2009 09:06 PM CST
Sub 150 in ML will break a lot... Also when it broke did you have pieces or did it dust?

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
-Thucydides

http://RissanMerchant.homelinux.net:8888
Re: Mech usage in the forge 01/06/2009 06:30 AM CST
It was pieces, so I could at least melt them back down. I figured when I started learning to forge that it would be pointless, but I've always wanted to learn the system. I'll just put it on hold for a while and keep training mech, no biggie. Thanks for the help guys.
Re: Mech usage in the forge 03/12/2009 08:12 PM CDT
Did you just get into forging? I might be wrong, but when I first started (FF was probably around 50) I broke about 80% of what I tried to make. At around FF 100, things became much easier. I'd also complete a ton of pieces and had a 16 second analyze. Now break 1 item in maybe 30-40. There are a few things I might attribute this to.

1.) My counter is in the upper hundreds to thousands. Not sure if this plays a role or not, but I've been told it helps.

2.) 51 strength. On top of that, I always use either blood or flame to pound. The lowest RT I've had in months is 9 seconds. More strength reduces the number of pounds necessary. If each pound has a set chance to break the ingot, fewer pounds = less chance.

3.) Higher FF...enough said.

4.) Higher mech...see #3

That's what I've gained from my experiences. Hope it helps someone.
Re: Mech usage in the forge 03/12/2009 08:25 PM CDT
<<1.) My counter is in the upper hundreds to thousands. Not sure if this plays a role or not, but I've been told it helps.

There are two counters a bit counter and a completion counter. Both should factor into your analyze time and analyze messaging, but not to your forging ability.

-Vorp
Re: Mech usage in the forge 03/12/2009 08:27 PM CDT
Thanks for the update, was told by a forger that it did. I never really was sure.
Re: Mech usage in the forge 03/12/2009 09:02 PM CDT
NP. Originally it was supposed to help in grandfathering the smithing skill. Obviously that option is out the door now. Now its all a surprise. Though analyze on its own, still has good merits, since its based on repetition. Which I would think is how a good smith would be able to get better. The more you do it, the easier it is to tell how good that item is.

-Vorp