Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 04:46 PM CST
If the steel blade was finished right now, it appears as if it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage

The blade would be fairly balanced and fairly suited for gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You grind away on the edge of your steel blade.

Roundtime: 15 seconds.
You smile knowingly to yourself as you improve the edge of your weapon.

>
You grind away on the edge of your steel blade.

Roundtime: 15 seconds.
You smile knowingly to yourself as you improve the edge of your weapon.

>

This is a finished steel blade for a bastard sword, and the steel itself is hard, semi rigid, and very light.

If the steel blade was finished right now, it appears as if it could do:
poor puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

The blade would be fairly balanced and poorly suited for gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Is this normal? Grinding my blade twice actually made it worse. A lot worse. Never seen or heard of this before.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of bug... forging for me seems to be really buggy in general. As my forge factor goes up, I seem to be breaking more and more blades. I can get a p/h/l bastard sword off the anvil while breaking 75% of my blades.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 07:01 PM CST
Are you sure you checked (appraised) the right steel blade?

There's a lot of reasons I say this, but to make things plain: You'll notice your first steel blade shown as f/f for balance/power suited from strength. Your second blade shows f/p in terms of balance/power suited from strength, yet you hadn't shown any grinds to power suited from strength or balance in the post.

Grinding typically shifts from one aspect to another, although not completely even. What I mean by this, is that if you grind for point or edge, you'll have a decrease in the amount of impact (sometimes noticeable, sometimes not). When you grind for balance, you lose some power and vice versa.

When you grind edge or point, you lose some construction, as well. When you grind balance or power, you'll notice a decrease in the amount of overall construction of the blade.

There's a bit more to it in terms of ratios per grind to get an effective amount, but I think that might answer your question. Good luck, man.

- Simon
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 07:54 PM CST
<<Are you sure you checked (appraised) the right steel blade?

Last i checked you are always certain on app for prefit armor and pre hilted blades/heads/tips.

<<There's a lot of reasons I say this, but to make things plain: You'll notice your first steel blade shown as f/f for balance/power suited from strength. Your second blade shows f/p in terms of balance/power suited from strength, yet you hadn't shown any grinds to power suited from strength or balance in the post.

Thats the reason why he is wondering why its dropping out from under him.

The question i think you would have to ask is how many ranks of weapon and mechlore do you have. Because I have never tested it on lower ranks. I wonder if it is part of lower rank that calculates if you can make a negative impact as a mistake.

-Vorp
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 08:00 PM CST
>>There's a lot of reasons I say this, but to make things plain: You'll notice your first steel blade shown as f/f for balance/power suited from strength. Your second blade shows f/p in terms of balance/power suited from strength, yet you hadn't shown any grinds to power suited from strength or balance in the post.

Edge can mess with balance. I don't remember if it can lower affect power. It has been a while since I have made anything.

>>The question i think you would have to ask is how many ranks of weapon and mechlore do you have. Because I have never tested it on lower ranks. I wonder if it is part of lower rank that calculates if you can make a negative impact as a mistake.

It might be mech problem, but I'm not sure either.

Brabs
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 11:00 PM CST
<<It might be mech problem, but I'm not sure either.

Considering which part of the forum we are at, I'll ask this question anyhow. Are you a barbarian do you have 100+ mech?

-Vorp
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/10/2008 11:03 PM CST
I only had one blade on me at the time. I can repeat the problem too, if someone wants me to show it to them; any time I get a bastard sword off the anvil, it starts as p/h/l f/f, then the first grind makes it p/m/l f/p regardless of whether the grind is point, edge, balance, etc.

If it's a problem with mech lore, it's not because I don't have enough. I have a little over 400 ranks in mech lore currently (yes I am a barbarian). I have a forge factor of about 230ish in HE and 2HE, which is why I'm confused as to how my blades always decrease in quality with the first two grinds.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/11/2008 07:42 AM CST
I'm gonna say that either your weapon ranks are too low or you are bugged somehow. I would assist in game as well as go over to the smithing boards under lore and post a link to this thread so Oolan might have a chance to look at this. Hopefully he can clarify what is happening.

-Vorp
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/11/2008 04:14 PM CST
Definitely is/was a bug with me. I gained 1 rank of LE and suddenly my bastard swords are leaving the anvil at p/m/l f/p again. I can't wait for a rewrite.

Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/11/2008 05:40 PM CST
Oolan does read here.

Probably is a bug and if so isn't one that'll get fixed prior to the rewrite because the last time I tried to fix something in that horrible mess it nearly broke the entire system for everyone else just because of how much of a cobbled up mess it is.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/11/2008 11:53 PM CST
Hahahahaaaa.... someone else with the same bug I have!

You'll only be able to make certain weight ones come off the anvil now at the right AP basically... not sure what it is for basites, but for broadswords it was anything between 23-28 stones. Then after a while you'll be able to get a lot more weights... that will last for maybe 10-15 ranks, then your bug will be back on.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Grinding makes the blade worse? 12/12/2008 12:58 AM CST
well at least you got an answer.

-Vorp