Weapon Choices 11/25/2015 07:28 AM CST
So, as a 1.) FRESH Barb, with the 2.)way things are currently. What are the best choice of weapon styles for barbarian?

2handed Blunt or 2handed Edged?

Heavy edged vs. Heavy blunt?

Lighter weapons?

Ranged weapons? Bow vs. thrown and what kind of Bow (if bow)?

Or... just get them ALL?! Roar!

Any thoughts?
Re: Weapon Choices 11/25/2015 08:38 AM CST
Generally speaking, if you want to be a well trained barb, you should train all weapons. Given that it's our primary skillset, you'll gain a ton of tdps as you circle and will make your char better on a per circle basis.

If the goal is to go through the hunting ladder as quickly as possible, you could do a smaller subset. Most folks would recommend you use some ranged and some melee weapons. To some extent, any weapon is viable. It's a little harder earlier on with the larger weapons because you'll run through your stamina pretty quickly swinging them, but they'll do more damage later on.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/25/2015 10:06 AM CST

My Barb started with he, HB, bows, lt, offhand and brawling. I wish I'd done ht instead of lt, but throwing stacks of knives is cool too. After he hit about 30th and had the strength for it, he picked up 2he, 2hb and poles. I should have started earlier with lightened weapons. I occasion ally pretend I use a crossbow too.

I'm satisfied with that set. I can't lock it all in combat, but once I'm moving its nice seeing all that on the field xp window.

Personally I think you should favor heavier weapons, but ymmv. Barbs have great tools for taking advantage of heavier weapons, so I feel small edge and small blunt is kind of a waste. But again, ymmv - I don't stealth for advantage, which is a personal choice, even though we also have tools for that.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/25/2015 12:45 PM CST
I've never understood peoples gripe about stamina... Just buy really lightweight trash damage weapons... that way you don't have to backtrain. Who cares if it's garbage right now, get a good one later. The hardest part about that is the weight of carrying them. You can't get around that though. Unless you want to train in groups, which is annoying. Just suck it up for a few circles until you can carry a few hundred stones around. A lot of forgers will give away steel weapons. I did that back before all the skills merged, and as long as you are being smart it's not so bad. It's even easier now with so many fewer weapons.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/25/2015 02:29 PM CST

You're definitely right - lighter weapons would have been easy and let me move more stuff at once.

That said, having two sets of weapons, one primary and one for back training isn't the end of the world.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/26/2015 11:25 AM CST
Light store bought or steel is the way to go early on without question. Also I highly recommend swapable weapons so you carry less.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Weapon Choices 11/26/2015 11:32 AM CST
Agreed about the swappable thing. I forgot to mention that. Swappables lose their edge the better you get. Eventually you'll find that using individuals will get you farther, faster.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/26/2015 02:16 PM CST

Train it all. All weapons. All armors. Keeps your defenses closer to your weapons because it's pretty impossible to stop some from going clear until you can whirl. Also helps bridge the latent tdp gap from circles vs other guilds, putting you on a more even playing field stat wise with people in your hunting zone, instead of people your own circle.
Re: Weapon Choices 11/26/2015 08:12 PM CST
>>>I've never understood peoples gripe about stamina... Just buy really lightweight trash damage weapons... that way you don't have to backtrain. Who cares if it's garbage right now, get a good one later. The hardest part about that is the weight of carrying them. You can't get around that though. Unless you want to train in groups, which is annoying. Just suck it up for a few circles until you can carry a few hundred stones around. A lot of forgers will give away steel weapons. I did that back before all the skills merged, and as long as you are being smart it's not so bad. It's even easier now with so many fewer weapons.

Buy the two ristes in Merkresh somehow. Two weapons with 5 uses.