How do YOU fight? 05/10/2015 11:52 PM CDT
What is your combat strategy when you hunt? Do you just slice slice slice, maybe mixing in the occasional bob? Are you constantly performing some self combo or a tactics maneuver, even after mind locking those skills? Do you use charged combat maneuvers when you don't need the expertise training? Do these choices depend on whether you're fighting something challenging?

I was just thinking about what strategy is really the best to be performing, and I realized I have no idea what everyone else is doing.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 05:05 AM CDT

I am pretty much always running "ana flame," whether expertise is locked or not (melee wise). Don't know if this "best." However, I find melee attacks reduce my defense (for whatever reason), and I get hit more often. I "have" to have my defensive forms running, and may need a zerk or two. I don't know how much additional IF I get from completing flame, but I am thinking every little bit helps.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 07:13 AM CDT
Run my warding/aug berserks, then analyze flame for weapon1, analyze (for tactics) for weapon2, ambush weapon 3, start over. I use some roars in there too.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 10:47 AM CDT
> However, I find melee attacks reduce my defense (for whatever reason), and I get hit more often.

This is because different melee attacks have different defensive penalties associated with them for a short time after the attack. Lunge is a high penalty, feint is a low penalty.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 06:42 PM CDT
1.) Engage the creature that teaches the most or is the toughest (in multi-critter areas)
2.) Check if Debil is ML'ed. No? Once at pole or closer, scream at my helm and kick off Wail (training melee weapon) or Kuniyo (training ranged weapon)
3.) Check if Expertise is ML'ed. No? Charged Combat Maneuver the current weapon (I've no need to use barb special ones yet)
4.) Check if Berserk Wildfire. No? Kick it off
5.) Check if bruised or more. Yes? Kick off Berserk Famine
6a.) Melee: "Attack" (I've no need for specific attack commands at "Attack" gives me the appropriate one for the situation)
6b.) Ranged: "Load", "Aim", "Shove" if close enough or pause four seconds, "Fire"
7.) Return to 4 until critter is dead the do all the skinnin', searchin', grabbin' stuffs
8.) Rinse and repeat for long lustrous hair and all your skills moving.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 06:49 PM CDT
So that raises an interesting question then. Is it better to run more defensive forms and do the combos requiring moves penalizing defense, or just slice/swing all the time and leave the forms off? Does it depend on aug skill?

And what about analyzing accuracy or damage? Do you think that is ever worth it over just flame all the time? Assuming some moderately but not severely threatening creature you may normally hunt.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 07:07 PM CDT
It does depend on Aug skill but I'd personally always keep Dragon/Eagle up depending on weapon. I have Bear so I keep that up for the strength and warding bonus. Then it's a defensive form (parry or evasion). If you don't have Bear I'd keep up Dragon/Eagle then Python/Pirahna complimentarily. Always use your combat forms as there is no downside.

I use my berserks to train Aug and Ward. Forms are too slow at filling the exp pool.

Use the "attack" command and you'll always perform the next appropriate attack type (well mostly) to offset any penalty you have on you.

Only use analyze fire if you have an IF problem, otherwise I personally, for training, would only use the weapons specific charged combat maneuver as you don't have to do a certain combo that may tank your balance, position, or ability to hit. But that's just me.

Re: How do YOU fight? 05/11/2015 09:40 PM CDT
So you just do something like maneuver cleave over and over? Does that train weapons better? And does it not have a to hit penalty associated with it?
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/12/2015 02:39 AM CDT
ATTACK picks reasonably good moves to do. FEINT, JAB, SLICE, CHOP, THRUST with a sword, and FEINT, DRAW, SWING BASH with a blunt for example.

Different attack styles favor different damage types, consume different amounts of fatigue, balance or unbalance you - etc.

MANEUVERS (cleave, crash, impale, etc) have a cooldown. They do train expertise and do a lot of damage, and so may be useful to work in from time to time.

All attacks have some defensive penalty. For example -

!>slice help full
* Detailed Information *
Slice is a damage dealing maneuver.
Slice tends to be a somewhat fatiguing maneuver. Attacking again too soon can make this worse.
Slice tends to be balance building.
Slice is a reasonably paced maneuver, but heavy or unbalanced weapons can slow the attack further.
Slice is as accurate as most maneuvers, and is best suited for slice weapons and least suited for puncture weapons.
Slice temporarily penalizes all defenses, but is equally suited to both evasion and parry defenses and least suited to shield defenses.

Doing the help full should tell you how each of the attack styles works a bit better.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/12/2015 06:36 PM CDT
>So you just do something like maneuver cleave over and over? Does that train weapons better? And does it not have a to hit penalty associated with it?

As I stated I start all combat with a new critter with a charged combat maneuver (if my Expertise isn't ML'ed) then move on to slicing, dicing, bashing, and clawing 'til it's dead. It doesn't train weapons much but the expertise exp is what I'm after just like why I shove before pin cushioning a critter with ranged is for tactics.

Re: How do YOU fight? 05/12/2015 07:17 PM CDT
Maneuvers are useless in PvP(they were nerfed prior to release due to being too OP, and were never un-nerfed). Too many restrictions on their use, not enough benefit to make them worthwhile. They train Expertise half-decently, but that's about it.

Analyze expertise combos are also useless - if you can land the attacks required for them(which I might add, is a ridiculous requirement), then you didn't need them to begin with. My melee skills are completely useless - I don't bother using my primary weapon(SE) since it's so insanely easy to avoid. Tactics are useless in a fair matchup - Barbs can't land anything because it's Tert. Attempting tactical maneuvers work more to their benefit than they do mine.

Had to unlearn most of the 'cool' non-essential roars(Torment, Lash, Slash, Hiss) and Berserks(Earthquake, Tsunami, Volcano) to pick up the necessary Masteries. Slash didn't work when I had it, anyways - you have to be facing your opponent to hit them with it, but you can't face someone who is hiding.

I use contemplation/tenacity, bear/monkey/piranha/eagle/owl, and tornado/flashflood/cyclone against pretty much everyone. Turtle is useless since virtually no one preps their spells below 50 mana at my level. There are no other good meditations, so I only learned those two. I guess Focus is kinda neat, but I don't have the slots for it.

So how do I fight? I spam 'take horseshoe;lob x'(one line) at x person until they die or run away. It's one line so Clerics can't curse it to my hand.
If I can't win doing that, I can't win(unless my opponent is a complete moron). Strike/Rage or Wail/Rage are about all I can afford in terms of voice. There's virtually no way to prevent them from just running away.

In an overkill matchup, I lob my 115 stone kertig lance at them and they run around for a few minutes trying to avoid me.

And that's about it.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/12/2015 07:27 PM CDT
>> Slash didn't work when I had it, anyways - you have to be facing your opponent to hit them with it, but you can't face someone who is hiding.

I mentioned this several times in the various barbarian folders and got no replies. Also, roar area is wonky and doesn't seem to work all that great if people are hiding.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/12/2015 07:28 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post... roare area didn't work at all last time I tested it on people hiding.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/14/2015 03:21 AM CDT
Just before hunting, I lock up IF, Aug and Ward. I put up forms Bear,Monkey, Pirhana and Dragon/Eagle. Using a very light small edged weapon (because I don't want critters to die) I lock up tactics, expertise, stealth and debil. When I start to train weapons, I app the critter quick, do a roar, put up either an aumentation berserk or a warding berserk As I get close to locking the weapon I do a maneuver to keep expertise moving. I repeat this process each time I change weapons. It takes 6 to 8 minutes to lock up any given melee weapon.

When I use a ranged weapon that requires aim time, I hide and app quick while waiting and then fire. I do the roar but no app at the start of these ranged weapons.

Hunting this way I can keep multiple weapons locked all magics, expertise, tactics, appraisal, and stealth and of curse all defenses and armor.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/16/2015 02:57 PM CDT
>>Maneuvers are useless in PvP

Not often I can find myself saying, or even thinking, this. But, Gort, you are wrong. Maneuvers are a game changer in pvp versus someone right on the edge of your weapon skills. Ask limani. Miss all day long incredibly balanced in a good position, but when I start >mane cleave, she runs or gets took. Literally no contact with draw spam, then the maneuver lands for ~7/22 and ALWAYS seems to cause bleeding. Maneuvers turn the tables for me in fights versus skilled opponents.

Now, I assume you're talking the charged maneuvers available to everyone, and not barb analyze maneuver things. THOSE are useless. >anal intimidate: "Hold on, stand still, I need to hit you with 4-5 random, weird attacks at melee to prevent you from running away. for 15-30 seconds at best." Generally, cycling through the sometimes very defense penalizing attacks prompted by ALL those maneuvers is very dangerous in combat, no matter what the reward. Literally had one come up 'Lunge, Lunge, Lunge, Lunge.'
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/16/2015 03:08 PM CDT
Maneuvers are good if your opponent isn't paying attention or if they have no other option besides melee. Otherwise, they aren't worth using.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/16/2015 03:16 PM CDT

With the state of thrown in pvp last I checked (sadly inaccurate at comparable ranks) and the fact that you can just >east if someone aims a bow at you, a lot of fights degenerate to melee. Plus, if you keep pressure on, your opponent continually retreating is going to penalize their offense right out of hitting you anyways. Melee happens if you make it. Plus, if someone else is equally trying to apply pressure, especially in spars with other people around or at the barrel with decent amounts of scroll, theyre not always going to catch the messaging that you've kicked one off.

Fighting a thief at level who I am having trouble hitting, one maneuver landing is ALWAYS a game changer. That leg bleeder penalizing their stealth, pushing them off balance, the stuns that generally come with it, or even just the 'Oh crap that hurt!'.
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/18/2015 09:16 PM CDT
>> Maneuvers are good if your opponent isn't paying attention or if they have no other option besides melee. Otherwise, they aren't worth using.

Limani generally fights people she can hit with JAB. That says a lot about her DPS potential, not to mention the added benefit of controlling range with Stealth and Inviso.

In the time it takes to land a maneuver, you can land several attacks. You have to be at melee, and avoiding them boils down to being able to type 'retreat' in less than 6 seconds. If their damage was increased to 4x WITHOUT an increase in RT, they might be worthwhile. As it currently stands, they are not an effective offense. Your claim of them being good against people at the edge of your skill range has been untrue for me, and this is even with IMPALE, which is the strongest of them.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: How do YOU fight? 05/18/2015 09:31 PM CDT

>>>In the time it takes to land a maneuver, you can land several attacks. You have to be at melee, and avoiding them boils down to being able to type 'retreat' in less than 6 seconds. If their damage was increased to 4x WITHOUT an increase in RT, they might be worthwhile. As it currently stands, they are not an effective offense. Your claim of them being good against people at the edge of your skill range has been untrue for me, and this is even with IMPALE, which is the strongest of them.<<<

This. Our expertise skill, needs in to increase damage/decrease roundtime/something.