getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 12:13 PM CST
Hi all,

Just came back into the game after a very long (about 6 years) absence and would like some advice on the most important things to catch up on quickly. My barbarian was at 29th circle and (like the bone-head I sometimes am) I re-rolled. Now back up to 16th circle and having a heck of a time finding someplace to train where I don't die on a regular basis. Top 3 weapons and leather all low to mid 70's and evasion/parry about 80. I need to re-learn everything, but a suggestion on where to hunt would be the first very big step.

Thanks,
Aldeberan
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 12:22 PM CST
Don't worry about what you used to have, consider this a chance to do it right the first time.

You didn't mention shield, my advice is to pick one up if you have not.

Just based on 70s in D/weapons means you would probably have the most luck with blood wolves, morah vines, or rock trolls.

Every province has options for hunting sub 300 ranks, so really you should find something to hunt which is near where you prefer to keep your character.

Blood wolves are skinnable and can be found in Therengia (near el'bains stop) or even Aesry.

Vines can also be found near Therenborough; they are not skinnable but will teach you until 120 ranks at least.

Rock trolls near Crossing might be too easy, but the Rock trolls and jackals south of Shard will be useful.

If you want to stay near Crossing or Riverhaven, blue belly crocodiles, beisswurms, thicket vipers, and some of the undead along the trade route would all be options.
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 01:08 PM CST
I also suggest blood wolves and rock trolls. You could even handle the morah vines- but mind the marauders. If you're into boxes, consider Sand Sprites on Ratha.

Good hunting!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 01:37 PM CST
Shield is like a father, and will protect you. Perception is like a best friend, and will look out for you.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 01:43 PM CST
Parry is like a vacuum cleaner.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 01:45 PM CST
>>Shield is like a father, and will protect you. Perception is like a best friend, and will look out for you.

This. I've a trader who hunts in Plat. Her shield is at req for her circle, and her perception is EXTREMELY overtrained. Very little sneaks up on her, and little in her hunting range does more than ding her. While she will never have the weapon skill of a barb her circle, she holds her own quite nicely.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 02:07 PM CST
Wow, looks like everything is getting MUCH more inter-related. Hadn't thought of perception. Any thoughts on armor? Leather is my main, but also have some LC and HC. Barb is a Tog, so encumbrance is less trouble than some would have.

Thanks, everyone here is as friendly and helpful as I remember!
Aldeberan
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 02:10 PM CST
>Wow, looks like everything is getting MUCH more inter-related. Hadn't thought of perception. Any thoughts on armor? Leather is my main, but also have some LC and HC. Barb is a Tog, so encumbrance is less trouble than some would have.

Yeah. With new experience you'll want to maximize your secondary and tertiary skill training. Perception is IMPORTANT.

As far as armor goes - it depends on whether or not you want to train stealths. If yes, I'd keep your main armor as leather. If not, I'd switch to light chain. Anything above that seems to negatively impact dances a bit too much for my taste.

Encumbrance is independant of race now. Gnomes no longer have a penalty, Togs no longer have a bonus (aside from racial modifiers to training strength and stamina).

For optimal training, you want to keep as many skills above 3/34 as possible.
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 04:03 PM CST
Sling is like a spoiled step child, and will annoy the hell out of ya.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: getting my feet wet after a long, long absence 02/09/2010 11:14 PM CST
>>Parry is like a vacuum cleaner.

No melee attacks escape the suction of its defense at high ranks?

If you train hiding (I recommend you train hiding), keep leather on the body but do chain on the hands and head because you get stunned crazy-easy with leather gloves and head gear.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer