Stealth Question 05/13/2009 10:25 AM CDT
I have a very focused and limited question for any stealth-heavy Barbarians out there.

I tried out Ratha celps last night and the issue I ran into was they'd spot me far to often after hiding. I'd still be in the 3 second roundtime from hiding and they'd search me out, leaving me very few opportunities to train stalking. I was able to stay hidden long enough to engage/stalk them maybe 1 out of every 5 or 6 hides.

My question is, does anyone have a ballpark range for stealth ranks + discipline required for hiding/stalking without Panther on "entry level" celps? Thief and Ranger experiences on this don't really apply due to passive Ranger Bonus and Thief Confidence. I realize people may not have an answer to this due to the very recent creature AI changes, but I figured it's worth asking.

I'm trying to plan out my jump to the next creature level, and the only thing that's holding me back from celps is stealths - ironic because my stealths are ~60 ranks ahead of my weapons. Any info/advice anyone could give on this would be appreciated.
Re: Stealth Question 05/13/2009 02:31 PM CDT
Sorry I can't help with your question, but have you tried advancing from missile range? Also, hunt. Granted, you'd have to switch up your routine a bit, but that should help until you get your stealth up high enough.
Re: Stealth Question 05/13/2009 02:43 PM CDT
>Sorry I can't help with your question, but have you tried advancing from missile range? Also, hunt. Granted, you'd have to switch up your routine a bit, but that should help until you get your stealth up high enough.

I did. I use hunt all the time. It'd be a 2 second change to my scripts to hide at missile, but I ran into the same issue.

Basically I could hide at pole pretty easily, and if I was able to fit it in before they searched I could advance to melee/stalk/and get success messages with ambushing. I was able to successfully poach from pole every time as well. The only issue is them searching and pointing me out too often; this, as you can imagine, is magnified in multi situations.

I'm going to try again in about 25 ranks of hiding/stalking and I'm going to boost discipline like it's my job in the meantime. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow the numbers down in the relatively near future.
Re: Stealth Question 05/13/2009 02:46 PM CDT
It probably wouldn't be a problem if he could take the stealth boost from Panther and use it with the defense boost of Badger (and leave out the reflex + agility boost). Or if he could use another guild's spells by scroll or runestone. Or if he could switch back and forth from Panther to Badger without killing his inner fire.

No flexibility creates limitations. I think I recall someone being able to train stealths in Celps with a bit over 500 in them, but I'm not sure if they had any buffs up or not. 500 might be the magic number.

Vinjince
Re: Stealth Question 05/13/2009 02:51 PM CDT
>No flexibility creates limitations.

Yes sir. Simple, to the point, and accurate.

>I think I recall someone being able to train stealths in Celps with a bit over 500 in them, but I'm not sure if they had any buffs up or not. 500 might be the magic number.

From what I saw, 500 would be more than adequate. I'm guessing it's going to be in the 460-480 range to start being able to consistantly perform stealthy maneuvers there. Dependant upon discipline and worn armor, of course.
Re: Stealth Question 05/13/2009 06:27 PM CDT
Are you hiding first or advancing first? You might have more success getting the pole->melee while stealthed if you advance before you hide if you're not doing that already.
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 03:54 AM CDT
I've been wondering how other barbs have been doing since the stealth changes. The whole don't learn if the creature is stunned thing seems to be tripping me up pretty good. Hopefully the gms don't try and do the same thing with weapon learning (again).

Norm
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 09:49 AM CDT
>Are you hiding first or advancing first? You might have more success getting the pole->melee while stealthed if you advance before you hide if you're not doing that already.

I'd learn less stalking because I wouldn't get that initial >engage experience. Same issue.

Another issue is I'd have to retreat to pole and then advance and try to hide. Creatures have been known to advance within that time span, which would result in a "You are trying to hide ohmygod. Wait anywhere between 2 and 6 seconds," and I'd end up actually attempting the hide at melee.
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 01:07 PM CDT
>Another issue is I'd have to retreat to pole and then advance and try to hide. Creatures have been known to advance within that time span, which would result in a "You are trying to hide ohmygod. Wait anywhere between 2 and 6 seconds," and I'd end up actually attempting the hide at melee.

Which is why I continue to lobby to get this removed, and I urge you all to join me.
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 05:47 PM CDT
>>I'd learn less stalking because I wouldn't get that initial >engage experience.

Could this maybe be suplimented with the stalking experience from the Hunt verb? I have no idea how this works at higer levels, but at low levels I have no troubel keeping stalking even with (or above even) hiding using JUST the Hunt verb.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 08:27 PM CDT
Since the stealth changes, my stealth training has been non existent. I can't hide at missile on caracals with 280 ranks and advance unseen. I can work stalking through the HUNT verb, but hiding/advancing/ambushing doesn't work for me at all, and currently, I don't train ranged, so I'm not sure how poaching would work out.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stealth Question 05/14/2009 08:56 PM CDT
Poaching still works great for hiding/stalking.

- Simon
Re: Stealth Question 05/15/2009 09:43 AM CDT
>Poaching still works great for hiding/stalking.

Agreed, poaching is great for hiding. This is one of the reasons I post a request to open up poaching of 2 legged creatures and PCs any time I can fit it into the discussion.

On that note, please open up poaching of 2 legged creatures and PCs. Thanks.

>Since the stealth changes, my stealth training has been non existent. I can't hide at missile on caracals with 280 ranks and advance unseen. I can work stalking through the HUNT verb, but hiding/advancing/ambushing doesn't work for me at all, and currently, I don't train ranged, so I'm not sure how poaching would work out.

My #1 priority when hunting is keeping hiding and stalking locked; if I can't do that in a hunting ground I refuse to hunt there. I have trouble doing that in Raiders because I can't poach (see above), and I obviously can't do it efficiently in Celpeze quite yet. Luckily I'm still able to lock everything in Young/Fledgling Gryphons, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I can squeeze another 30-50 ranks out of them.
Re: Stealth Question 05/15/2009 09:46 AM CDT
>Could this maybe be suplimented with the stalking experience from the Hunt verb? I have no idea how this works at higer levels, but at low levels I have no troubel keeping stalking even with (or above even) hiding using JUST the Hunt verb.

I barely learn Stalking via Hunt. I don't learn Perception all that well either; I juggle to bewildered/dazed before entering combat every time and just utilize Hunt every 90 seconds to extend the drain time as my learning rate slowly dwindles down.
Re: Stealth Question 05/15/2009 10:17 AM CDT
I personally don't think Hunt grants as much EXP as it should with the RT and the downtime, but I always chalked it up to perception being my highest skill.

Vinjince
Re: Stealth Question 05/15/2009 05:33 PM CDT
I don't read the stealth folder since it usually seems to be filled with a bunch of whining, but have any of the GMs commented on how it teaches better to underhunt to learn stealth (can hide at melee) than it is to take bigger risks? It sort of reminds me of the old days when you learned a lot more offense from a critter by using crappy weapons.

Norm