DOH 08/08/2008 07:08 PM CDT
* A retan dolomar thrashes a jagged-edged pincer at you. You block with a blue-scale buckler.
[You're invigorated, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced with opponent in good position.]
>
Your rage burns harshly, quickening your step and reactions.
>
Grim laughter trails from your lips as you fall into Urrem'tier's embrace.
* A retan dolomar lashes with a cruelly sharp pincer at you. You attempt to evade. The claw lands an extremely heavy hit that explodes the heart and lungs with a bone-shattering blow to the chest.
The retan dolomar pauses a moment to clean the pieces of you off its claws and stinger.

* Drachus was just struck down!
Your hand axe falls to the ground.

Down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

God I hope these open rolls get taken out "soon"

Drachus - Interprovincial Gold Champion, Kaith Kirm 370 AV - Open Team Combat, Division 2
Re: DOH 08/08/2008 07:15 PM CDT
I don't think that qualifies as an open roll. I'm almost positive it needs to have something like "while stumbling into a better position" or "while the light shines in it's opponent's eyes"
Re: DOH 08/08/2008 07:18 PM CDT
I have the combatbrief options ect set, so I never see descriptions of any kind for the attack.

It could not have been anything other than an open roll crit, I can dance with 4 of these until they run away from me and not take a scratch. Plus the fact that is says I failed to evade, instead of failed to block.

Drachus - Interprovincial Gold Champion, Kaith Kirm 370 AV - Open Team Combat, Division 2
Re: DOH 08/08/2008 09:42 PM CDT
Yep, I have all my open rolls highlighted just because I like to see them (don't have combat brief on), and I am pretty surprised how many you get while dancing with 3 of something...they actually aren't THAT rare. Even 3rd tier snobs get "heavy" hits on me with over 300 evasion\parry\armor when one of those hit. (I have blocked them before as well though)

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: DOH 08/08/2008 10:08 PM CDT
Every critter, even ship's rats deliver open rolls of the "stumbling into a better position just as the light strikes its eye" but it isn't until most people get past caracals that these open rolls to a critical body part cause insta-death, so most people never notice them. Those bone shattering blows to the chest or head or abdomen really get annoying when you know you shouldn't be scratched at all.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 07:05 AM CDT
The whole thing is easily solved by having stamina increase the "hit points" of body parts in the same way it increases your overall vitality.

Re: DOH 08/09/2008 09:33 AM CDT
>The whole thing is easily solved by having stamina increase the "hit points" of body parts in the same way it increases your overall vitality.

According to Ssra it already does, just by such a pathetic amount that no one notices it.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 09:38 AM CDT
well then, double DOH.

sometimes I feel like I am the dragonrealms version of Bender.

Re: DOH 08/09/2008 12:54 PM CDT
Why hasn't the formula been tweaked? I always hear people saying stamina doesn't need to be trained once you stop having fatigue problems with weapons... making it raise body part HP would definitely make stamina invaluable.

Is it just a question of finding the right values, or is no one workin' on this?

Being a War Mage is great. You get to rain all sorts of desctruction on people. Plus, you can blame your gas on Zephyr. Just wave your fingers and let it out.
-XXXX, explaining to my new character why he should join the Warrior Mage Guild.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 02:52 PM CDT
>>I always hear people saying stamina doesn't need to be trained once you stop having fatigue problems with weapons<<

I'm not sure why you or anyone else would think this. Moving up the critter ladder almost always results in critters that are more dangerous and hit harder (the exception being sand sprites).

Reflex improves your ability to avoid being hit, but stamina affects your ability to take damage once you DO get hit, therefore, not raising stamina as you climb the critter ladder is folly.

I'm not sure that a character with 99 in stamina would survive those stupid crits that explode the heart and lungs, or chop you in half, but increased stamina does improve your general survivablity in a big way as you train against increasingly more difficult opponents.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 03:40 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure that a character with 99 in stamina would survive those stupid crits that explode the heart and lungs, or chop you in half, but increased stamina does improve your general survivablity in a big way as you train against increasingly more difficult opponents.

Doesn't Worril have 99 stamina? I know he still gets open rolls
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 04:08 PM CDT
Personally I don't mind what other people say about stats, since there are so many conflicting opinions. I just train them all about evenly... right now all are 22 except charisma at 21.

I too remember someone saying that with 99 stamina he still got 1-shotted by open rolls. Others have said that since the chances of something killing you by destroying a vital body part are higher than the chances of dying from vitality loss at higher levels of skill, it's better to train reflex. Or something like that, anyway. I don't pay much attention and just hope that sooner or later the GMs bump up the effect of stamina on body part HP.

Being a War Mage is great. You get to rain all sorts of desctruction on people. Plus, you can blame your gas on Zephyr. Just wave your fingers and let it out.
-XXXX, explaining to my new character why he should join the Warrior Mage Guild.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 06:08 PM CDT
sweet, sweet revenge.

Raising your voice with authority, you lash out with the ferocity of a whipcrack and the expectation that your command will be obeyed.
A retan dolomar appears stunned with fear!

With a roar of effort you swing your massive axe into a furious gyre. You channel the momentum with surreal skill and grace.

Your hand axe lands an extremely heavy hit to a retan dolomar's right claw!
A retan dolomar slumps into a heap.

Your hand axe lands an extremely heavy hit to a retan dolomar's left claw!

Your hand axe lands a massive strike to a retan dolomar's thorax!

Your hand axe lands a powerful strike to a retan dolomar's neck!

[You're nimbly balanced]
Roundtime: 4 sec.

Out of curiosity, does whirlwind use up extra Inner Fire?

Re: DOH 08/09/2008 08:01 PM CDT
>Is it just a question of finding the right values, or is no one workin' on this?

I don't think anyone is currently working on it, but the plan is to fix it when accuracy is separated from damage. And yes, you will still get open rolled and die with 99 stamina, 99 reflex is much better.
Re: DOH 08/09/2008 11:34 PM CDT
>Out of curiosity, does whirlwind use up extra Inner Fire?

Nope, just a bad defensive penalty.

>warn DragonRealms interact

* Connection to the game has been dropped.