Board Wipe 01/17/2009 07:17 PM CST
One of the things I'm hoping to see happen (which aligns nicely with Maulem hosting a pit night tonight) is increased Savage Pit activity. I have been evaluating my options in how to accomplish this the past few weeks and will be doing one of those things in a little while.

The Savage Board in the Crossing will be cleaned completely in less than an hour. The goal of this is

1) to even the playing field again. With a 7000 point spread between rank 1 and rank 25, it got a little skewed and makes "fair" fights harder to find.

2) Purge the names of people who no longer play.

I will be keeping an eye on the board and very month or so, I will evaluate things and perhaps clear the board. This will mostly be done when I see large periods of stagnation in the pit. I hope to come up with more ways to increase usage without copious amounts of rewriting (it would be way down on my list) and welcome any and all input.

I encourage all of you who wish to keep your high rankings to participate in pit fights often!

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Board Wipe 01/17/2009 08:25 PM CST
<<One of the things I'm hoping to see happen (which aligns nicely with Maulem hosting a pit night tonight) is increased Savage Pit activity.>>

Okay buddy, let's try to figure this out.

<<I have been evaluating my options in how to accomplish this the past few weeks and will be doing one of those things in a little while.>>

<<The Savage Board in the Crossing will be cleaned completely in less than an hour. The goal of this is>>

I definitely do not think clearing the board every now and than will increase activity.

<<1) to even the playing field again. With a 7000 point spread between rank 1 and rank 25, it got a little skewed and makes "fair" fights harder to find.>>

Well, that really depends on how points are awarded for people who are victorious in the pit. Each pit fight is based primarily on circle, unless something changed in the past 2 years. So, if you are fighting someone 20 circles or less, you get meager amount of points (like minimum of 10 points). If you fight someone at your circle level and win, than you get modest amount of points for the pit (I can't remember the number, but 45 to 60 points). If you fight someone 20 circles or higher than you and are victorious than you earn a large amount of points for the pit (I think it was 80 to 120 points?). If you have a point spread of 7000 between rank 1 and rank 25, that doesn't help make any other particular fight more "fair."

In my opinion, if the person got 7000 points in the pit, he deserves those points for fighting.

<<2) Purge the names of people who no longer play.>>

This makes sense. Doesn't help increase pit fights, but it makes sense.

<<I hope to come up with more ways to increase usage without copious amounts of rewriting (it would be way down on my list) and welcome any and all input.>>

This is the biggest problem. I think this will require copious amounts of rewriting in order for your primary purpose of making pit fights more active to occur.

What is the objective for pit fights, in your opinion?

1. For pit fights to occur more often
2. For Barbarians to have an advantage in pit fights no matter what
3. Something I didn't include in 1 or 2

Personally, I would prefer pit fights to occur more often. How can this be done? Probably with copious amounts of rewriting the pit system (lucky you and everyone, hmm? Lol!) But, honestly, there needs to be more possiblity for pit fights to occur and as ALWAYS, give the characters OPTIONS on how to fight:

Each contender must agree on how to fight when the character asks which option they'd choose to the pitboss:

1. Melee combat - EVERYTHING GOES
1a. Melee combat - No magic substances allowed (like CJs as an example) or external abilities
2. Ranged combat - EVERYTHING GOES
2a Ranged combat - No magic substances allowed (like CJs as an example) or external abilities
3. Anything goes - including magic
4. Group combat - 2 on 2, 3 on 3, 4 on 4 requiring the agreement of everyone to participate.

A countdown by the pitboss when the match starts.

This will, most likely, increase the activity of the pit fights.

- Simon
Re: Board Wipe 01/17/2009 09:51 PM CST
Some very nice thoughts there Simon. Sadly, all of them will require substantial if not total rewrite of the entire scored pit system. Additionally, having a scoring system in the pit does not lend itself well to team combat of any kind. This is why, when I did my tournament of champions series and baronial battle (royale) a couple years back, I held my fights at the amphitheater in theren. It's got the viewing capability like the barb guild pit, the ability for open combat of any type, and even supports team or all out battle royale type fighting. Sadly, it is not on the pit scoring system. I once had endeavored to get it made so, but thinking on it now, I think it's nice to have an alternative fight site where total open combat is an option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much on board with your ideas. However, I'm pretty sure Aurdun has a ton more on his plate than tackling this beast of a sytem for a rewrite. In the meanwhile, I'll continue to hold my monthly pit nights to at least give folks a chance to get together for a semi-organized recurring event and use the pit as it stands now.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Board Wipe 01/17/2009 10:11 PM CST
<<However, I'm pretty sure Aurdun has a ton more on his plate than tackling this beast of a sytem for a rewrite>>

I agree completely. I'd prefer seeing Barbarian abilities (like BMR, berserks, dances, roars, meditations, warpaint, combat oriented for Barbarian things) worked on along with Barbarian history worked on rather than the pit system. I even have more suggestions about improving the pit system, but it would just be put on the list for the time being. The main key is always the same; to give characters OPTIONS so they can determine how to have fun. Aurdun has always shown toward bringing a fun atmosphere for everyone, so I feel like no matter what happens that we're in good hands.

But, I do appreciate anyone who tries to work with what is offered for the time being. So, thanks Maulem and everyone else. ;)

- Simon

PS - Mo rocks!
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 11:31 AM CST
Clearing all the names while leaving the rules as is won't help much, IMO.

Some folks worked hard to get where they are, and if it's all cleared again and again then it'll make little sense to put in that same effort. The problem isn't the spread of points on the board, it's that people just don't want to pit fight because of the actual rules. I'm at the point where just about no one will pit spar me anymore outside of a pit night because they think they'll lose.

I say open up some rules and you'll see the point spread tighten up if people try hard enough.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 11:38 AM CST
Disallow dancing/berserking in the pit and you'll get more fights.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 11:44 AM CST
>>Disallow dancing/berserking in the pit and you'll get more fights.

This is really easy to do already, example:

You say, "Hey, JoeBarb, how about not using any dances or berserks since I don't have access to those abilities?"

JoeBarb says, "Sure."

See? Didn't require any coding or developer time at all, and I've seen it done dozens of times with a 100% success rate. :)

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 12:40 PM CST
Nothing prevents someone from hitting the Berserk Flame button once you're both in the pit. I've had that happen, too.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 12:46 PM CST
Well I can't argue against it being possible, I've just personally never seen it happen. I'd imagine a little public exposition and shame for being a sissy might go a long way in that case though.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 01:15 PM CST
>>I'd imagine a little public exposition and shame for being a sissy might go a long way in that case though.<<

You can definitely make informal agreements, but the rules as they are now are a big impediment to getting more people in the pit. Since the ability to make informal pacts has always been available and the number of pit fighters is still too low, I think it would be worthwhile to look at changing the rules.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 04:27 PM CST
>>You can definitely make informal agreements, but the rules as they are now are a big impediment to getting more people in the pit. Since the ability to make informal pacts has always been available and the number of pit fighters is still too low, I think it would be worthwhile to look at changing the rules<<

I agree with both of ya, but to add to this, probably alot people don't want to HAVE to ask "can you not use dances\roars\berserks please?"
I probably wouldn't want to ask if I was a mage(etc) ...i would never stoop to being a mage though either :}~

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 04:37 PM CST
<<Nothing prevents someone from hitting the Berserk Flame button once you're both in the pit. I've had that happen, too.>>

That's very true. On the same note, there's nothing stopping someone from rubbing a CJ or using a khri and than entering the pit.

If you want to create more activity in the pit, I don't think the problem is as simple as disallowing dances, berserks, roars, or anything. The main problem is choice. If possible, the pitboss and all the contestants in question should agree to the match they want. From there, let's go.

Some people can want to dance or berserk or use CJs or khri or use magic or use hiding or use ranged or fight group against group. Why not let them if the intent is to create more activity? If everyone is in agreement (which should be part of the coding mechanics) - go at it and have fun.

If both parties choose an option to disallow certain things, than certain verbs should be restricted in the pit.

The points are only icing on the cake.

- Simon
Re: Board Wipe 01/18/2009 09:11 PM CST
Just personal opinion, but I always thought the stuff about setting up rules about magic, khri, berserks, etc. would be better suited to things like the Crossing Arena. Wasn't someone working on the Arena at one point?

I thought the Pit was put there to replace the sparring that we used to do standing in front of Agonar, so that he wouldn't have to endure being hit by so many stray bolts and arrows.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 10:01 AM CST
You can see the activiation of all roars, dances and berserks from the stands. As for the "renegging" issue, anyone who respects the sport doesn't do that crap. Anyone who offers terms for a fight then goes against them when push comes to shove has dishonored us all by tainting what can, is, has been and will continue to be a great source of entertainment inside the game.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 10:03 AM CST
Can someone post the Agonar vs. Mo fight? I've never, ever seen Mo or Agonar active because it always happens when I'm not around. I got the worst of luck. :(

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 10:11 AM CST
>>Can someone post the Agonar vs. Mo fight? I've never, ever seen Mo or Agonar active because it always happens when I'm not around. I got the worst of luck. :(

^^^This, for the love of God.

11 years and I've never successfully run into Mo when he was awake. =(

If you'd prefer, you can email the log to my play.net address.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 10:37 AM CST
The fight was a lot less epic than you guys might hope. I know it was for me! (Stupid open rolls! Heh)

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 10:39 AM CST
Speaking of Mo, I'm pretty sure he was awake either last night or the night before, though I can't remember which... I was busy in P5 at the time and didn't get to see what was up. Anyone have a clue?

Pillow versus pillow: Crazy Awsome.
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 11:10 AM CST
>>Speaking of Mo, I'm pretty sure he was awake either last night or the night before, though I can't remember which... I was busy in P5 at the time and didn't get to see what was up. Anyone have a clue?

I'm guessing that was probably for the event in question, on Saturday evening.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 12:54 PM CST
<<The fight was a lot less epic than you guys might hope.>>

Maybe it just isn't being told right. :p

Two titans enter. Both thirsting for combat like a cool drink on a hot summer day at Rushleel's pub. The ground shakes as both men step foot in the steel pit as a defeaning thunderstorm of noise erupts in the stands seeking carnage from those in the pit below. One man emerges victorious with his weapon held high, the other lays defeated on the ground willing to fight another day.

- Simon
Re: Board Wipe 01/19/2009 02:00 PM CST
Oh wow, I was thinking this was a fight from some time ago. I didn't realize it was so recent... now I'm even more annoyed at myself for having missed it.

Ah well. Next time! ;)

Pillow versus pillow: Crazy Awsome.
Re: Board Wipe 01/20/2009 06:42 AM CST
More or less, this is what happened.

Mo has entered the arena to challenge Agonar!

>Traim says, "If I had a 100, I'd be putting it on Agonar."

>Mo draws forth a massive double-bladed broadaxe.

>Martyka says, "yeah im so bettin Agonar"

>Agonar draws forth a ruby-hilted bastard sword.

>Mo flexes his bulging biceps. Looks like he could lift a horse!

>Agonar says, "Stop trying to show off."

>Agonar begins to advance on Mo.

>Agonar closes to melee range on Mo.

>Mo moves into a position to parry.

>Mo lands an overwhelming strike (Oooh, Agonar's grandkids are going to feel that one!) that rips through muscle and organs, cutting the foe cleanly in half.

Two attendants grab Agonar and drag him and everything on the pit floor away.
* Agonar was just struck down!

Then Joshuan and Mo fought...

Joshuan has entered the arena to challenge Mo!

>Mo grins.

>Mo chuckles.

>Mo draws forth a massive double-bladed broadaxe.

>Mo pivots in Joshuan's direction and salutes him with his broadaxe, bringing the weapon downwards in a precise, fluid movement.

>Joshuan begins to advance on Mo.

>Mo lands a good strike to Joshuan's right arm.

>Mo lands an extremely heavy hit that cleaves the right arm from the shoulder, lightly stunning him.

>Mo lands a heavy strike that lays open the skin of the right cheek down to the bone, dealing him a vicious stun.

>Joshuan makes a grunting noise.

>Joshuan begins to advance on Mo.

Joshuan stops Mo from advancing any farther.

>Mo lands a very heavy hit that lodges the double-bladed broadaxe under the bones of the left hand and snaps several tendons, severely stunning him.
>
Two attendants grab Joshuan and drag him and everything on the pit floor away.
Re: Board Wipe 01/20/2009 12:39 PM CST
Ha, wow. High-level combat at its best, eh? Still, nice for the GMs to do something like this, I like the effort even if my character wasn't physically there to see it.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is generally considered to have been a bad move.