Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 10:48 AM CDT
Just going to list those with 3+ fights here. We're considering putting a "recent fights" board near the Arena Board to list them automatically.

Galren: 5 fights
Bugrit: 3 fights
Caelumia: 3 fights
Gahalad: 3 fights
Tyhenn: 3 fights

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 10:57 AM CDT
Hrm, no Edgee on top?

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 12:06 PM CDT
Its pretty hard for him to find fights I'd guess. Im gunning for Navak's number one spot. 13 more people to overtake.

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 12:50 PM CDT
Those were all from Saturday night.
I didn't see anyone with more than 3 fights on any other night, though there were fights each night.

If I missed someone, speak up and I'll check on it.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:22 PM CDT
I won 73 fights.

Also: any research as to why khri cant be used in there. Being they arnt magic and all I'm still at a loss. If Khri dont work in there, why do dances?:)

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:27 PM CDT
Because it's the Barbarians' savage pit, not the Thieves' savage pit. In all seriousness, though, I'm not sure if there's really a good reason. It'd be nice to be able to use beseeches in there too. I'd imagine it's hard enough for Barbs to find a willing non-barb competitor simply due to the skills advantage Barbs have; allowing them all of their advantages and taking away everyone else's just adds to that problem.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:32 PM CDT
... And I know someone's going to say, "Well, we're always willing to not use our roars, dances, and berserks to level the playing field," but I've witnessed more than a few times when that agreement was made and the barb started to lose - what do you think they did at that point? Berserk. If it's going to be more than just the same 6 people fighting each other over and over again, there needs to be some official way to set rules at the beginning as far as what is allowed and what isn't. I agree that spells should not be cast while in the pit, but I think it could be allowable for spells to be cast prior to entering. I also think Thieves should have access to all khris except Silence.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:39 PM CDT
<<If Khri dont work in there, why do dances?:)

As was stated by a player, because it is a Barbarian pit. Barbarian pit, Barbarian rules, not sure why anyone would think we need a "reason" beyond that fact. ;)

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

"Give them nothing, take from them, everything!"
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:47 PM CDT
<<And I know someone's going to say, "Well, we're always willing to not use our roars, dances, and berserks to level the playing field," but I've witnessed more than a few times when that agreement was made and the barb started to lose - what do you think they did at that point? Berserk.

Somehow I doubt anyone doing this, on even a somewhat regular basis, will be getting fights for long. Players have a way of letting each other know this kind of stuff, reputations get around when it comes to savage fights, good and bad.

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:50 PM CDT
Are the points solely circle based, or is there a different equation for non-Barbs? Since according to req's, a 50th WM would only compare to a 35th Barbarian, does the system care about any of that? I believe the 50th WM would get hardly any (if any at all) points for winning, yet the Barb would get a lot since his opponent is 15 circles higher. Is this true? Last time I went to Crossing and spent 3.5 hours trying to find a fight, I couldn't get anyone (let alone within my skills) to test this out.

-Master Ndin
"Nobody is going to be in the same ballpark as Warrior Mages when it comes to grandiose acts of destruction. -Armifer
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:54 PM CDT
There does exist the problem with the same people fighting each other over and over. I can never find any fights and the only people that went in the pit with me was a 30 higher circle thief and 3 barbs galren/navak/nevek I have been trying to get some fights for an entire month so it's not very likely to find battles when hindering other guilds. I say at the very least let the thieves use their khris I mean it's inner strength and focus like our dances. It would aid in getting more competition in the pit.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 01:58 PM CDT
Hahaha, Savage Lord Nevek.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 02:13 PM CDT
There is currently no, point handicapping, based on guild.

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 02:42 PM CDT
We're not going to keep barbarians from using their abilities in the savage pit (other than wail and lash roars), and we have no intention of allowing magic, hiding, ranged, khris, and use of magic items in the Barbarian Guild savage pits. Some things such as bardic scream was an oversight, but it doesn't seem to actually benefit the bard much at all, so we probably will let it stand.

There are lots of other places to fight if you want different rules, or you can agree on your own limitations while in the pit. One loss due to limitations being broken isn't going to destroy anyone's pit points, unless you run away from the fight, of course.

There is a small possibility that we may have some specifically set up fights that change the rules a bit, but those are a ways away yet if we do them.

The pits have been quite busy since they re-opened. If you can't find a fight, encourage others to fight in the pits and have some fun. Murder in the pit is not illegal, so if you have a favor and are at least 15th circle, you're all ready to go.

We are tweaking things as we go, it looks like the changes fixed all of the known bugs that we intended to address.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 03:26 PM CDT
It definitely requires a good bit of work but once folks start going its easy to get fights.

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 03:56 PM CDT
::chortles::

gee..here's a thought! Do like I would, put up your khri before you go into the pits...RP it out some...get fidgety, and wring your hands, act nervous, pace back and forth. Than right before you go into the pit, tell them you need to run out and get some fresh air...if they want, have them join you. Run outside, pant, inhale, put up the khri you plan on using, exhale, inhale, put up the next khri, exhale. than go into the pit. RP the being really nervous type about going in there. Who's goin to be the wiser?

If your goin to play the nervous type of goin into an arena with thousands upon thousands of people going to possibly watch your death. Would make me nervous to!

~Dalkin~
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 04:00 PM CDT
>>gee..here's a thought! Do like I would, put up your khri before you go into the pits...RP it out some...get fidgety, and wring your hands, act nervous, pace back and forth. Than right before you go into the pit, tell them you need to run out and get some fresh air...if they want, have them join you. Run outside, pant, inhale, put up the khri you plan on using, exhale, inhale, put up the next khri, exhale. than go into the pit. RP the being really nervous type about going in there. Who's goin to be the wiser?

All of that only to get your head chopped off in less than 2 seconds. Would be a funny sight, though.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 04:42 PM CDT
<<All of that only to get your head chopped off in less than 2 seconds. Would be a funny sight, though.

{snicker} Nice feature huh! ;)

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 07:28 PM CDT
<<We're not going to keep barbarians from using their abilities in the savage pit (other than wail and lash roars), and we have no intention of allowing magic, hiding, ranged, khris, and use of magic items in the Barbarian Guild savage pits.>>

My issue is it makes no IC sense though. I can understand magic. The area could be said to be devoid of even the fain minuscule trace of mana. How does the area though prevent me from maintaining my concentration but not a barbarians ability? Its not an attempt to be difficult. I wont start using the arena if it was added, but IC it tickles a nerve. I can understand no stealth; its bright. I can understand no magic; its a dry well of mana. But if a warrior can dance I fail to see what I cant khri.

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 08:16 PM CDT
>As was stated by a player, because it is a Barbarian pit. Barbarian pit, Barbarian rules, not sure why anyone would think we need a "reason" beyond that fact. ;)

Logic really assists in roleplaying... how would you prevent a thief from using a secret ability?
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 08:39 PM CDT
<<Logic really assists in roleplaying... how would you prevent a thief from using a secret ability?

Ok enough already, we have addressed this, let it drop.

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 09:18 PM CDT
I guess we didnt like the "just cause" logic, but if thats the final word, so be it. Can we also make some pits that dont allow the 'slice' verb or 'dodge'?

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 09:27 PM CDT

* Savage Board *

Rank Name Title Points
1) Galren Savage Lord 1157

You notice that your total Savage Points are 1157.

WORD

-Galren Moonskin

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 09:39 PM CDT
Congrats!

We cleared the board to get rid of some names listed in the top 25 that haven't been in game for a long time. None of your pit points have changed, just take a look at the board or fight a match and you'll be listed on it if you qualify.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 09:47 PM CDT
>>Rank Name Title Points
>>1) Galren Savage Lord 1157

Haha, that won't last for too long!

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 09:52 PM CDT
<<Can we also make some pits that dont allow the 'slice' verb or 'dodge'?

Sure that could be done. You're asking the wrong GMs for it though, that really wouldn't be terribly barbaric.

<<I guess we didnt like the "just cause" logic

I really don't see how a lack of ability to focus while in a savage pit is OOC, or "just cause" logic. You're in an arena where there is no place to hide, not enough room for ranged weapons, surrounded by fans and crowds, and all sorts of things that could/do hamper your ability to focus. We could have kept other guilds out entirely, there are all sorts of places only one guild can go, but we didn't do that.

It's not like when someone gestures in the pit:
gesture
Just as you start to move, the fans pelt you with clods of earth and mud, stopping you in your tracks and making you fall to your knees, accompanied by resounding boos from the fans.

Regardless, GM Niamah called this thread over.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 10:20 PM CDT
>>1) Vinjince Savage Lord 3557

Someone shut both doors that lead to the pit board so Navak can't get in.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 10:38 PM CDT
<I really don't see how a lack of ability to focus while in a savage pit is OOC, or "just cause" logic. You're in an arena where there is no place to hide, not enough room for ranged weapons, surrounded by fans and crowds, and all sorts of things that could/do hamper your ability to focus. >>

So someone with say, 1K+ concentration and 70+ disc would have their concentration disrupted in there by some people cheering and yelling? I didnt know khri were that fragile. Does that mean if a barb is in a very silent room they cant zerk?

<<We could have kept other guilds out entirely, there are all sorts of places only one guild can go, but we didn't do that.>>

I can understand that, but I dont think the blanket logic to not allow any other guilds abilities should have been so ....'blanket'. Again, all this is relatively minor. So best to ignore me and go about your GM'ingly duties.

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 11:28 PM CDT
>People calling for the Barbarian arena to be changed.

Go somewhere else. No one is forcing you to use the BARBARIAN arena and then forcing you not to use your non-Barbarian abilities.

From the complaints, it sounds like the SCC arena would be best for those of you complaining. You can hide, shoot bows, use magic, concentrate on khris, berserk, roar, dance, whatever.

Fuquois
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/09/2007 11:45 PM CDT
Ask for a thief "pit". It would be a back-alley area, maybe always dark there, dirt is easily found, etc...

Then it can be thief only, or perhaps if you're wanted you can be invited in to fight in the back alley.

Instead of the pit board, there would be something more like a betting board.

Mundane + thief stuff only or mundane only.

I am --- Navak
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/10/2007 09:43 AM CDT
<<Go somewhere else. No one is forcing you to use the BARBARIAN arena and then forcing you not to use your non-Barbarian abilities.>>

well people are asking for a bigger variety of people to get involved, it is kinda counter productive to try and get others involved but handicap them.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/10/2007 10:34 AM CDT
Why can't we let the barbs decdie this? Create an ingame check list or something for barbs go check off if they want to allow other guild abilities in the arean, at the very least khri and those that don't. I have no problem for other guilds to utilize their abilities in the pit if it's just to spell up before entering or putting up khri. Right now I can't get any competition in the pit and I'm sure many other barbs are feeling the say way. It is in no way a fair competition to ther guilds, we already have the best melee combat skill set up and then on top of that we are utilitizing our abilities while they have non, even if we don't use abilities it's tipping in our favor because of skill set, cant't count super duper afk scripting skills nor multi accounting, on average barbs will excel at melee combat over any other guild circle per circle.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/10/2007 11:03 AM CDT
We have clearly stated our position here. I will say one last time this thread is done.

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/10/2007 11:56 AM CDT
>>Murder in the pit is not illegal, so if you have a favor and are at least 15th circle, you're all ready to go.

Will Paladins get soul hits for murder/first strike?

~Thilan
Re: Last Weekend's Fights 04/10/2007 12:53 PM CDT
<<Will Paladins get soul hits for murder/first strike?
>>

<sarcasm>The cheering of the crazy mob is so loud that the Paladin shouldnt realize what they are doing, ergo not able to enjoy the unique guild bonus of soul hits. Crazy mob screams so loud you in fact think your a chicken</sarcasm>

(note: the above post is in jest, not anger ;p )