Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 07:05 PM CDT
Well I guess it was just a bad idea. Even with growing handicapping only one mage showed. Zeikart is the proud winner of 50 plats by default.

Sometimes intentions don't pan out.
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 07:24 PM CDT
That was pretty short notice?

Couple suggestions for the future:

A) More advance notice. I'm not even talking about 'a week.' I mean like a month with weekly reminders might be great.

B) Contact the Mentor Society if you are interested in hosting a player-made event. Player-run events are encouraged; you by no means have to have Gamehosts available or spectacular prizes, but getting coming up with an interesting name ('Whack-A-Mage' was sort of interesting) and having it posted on the calender will probably help a ton.

The boards only represent a small portion of the DR populace. Narrow this to board monkies who are available one day (or only several hours) in advance and your population is really small. Give advance notice, post it, and you're gonna get a lot of people.

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:11 PM CDT
Fights aren't something worth scheduling months in advance. Believe me, I know what it means to plan a long term event.

Even before the event began I got nothing but private responses whining. Mages said how could you expect them to compete (despite a couple of instances making it clear that said mage would actually be up against a barb 15 circles lower based on who I had interested) and barbs asking why they couldn't use their abilities.

The guild war savage fights turned into GvG arguments. That's not the spirit of things.

I think I am ok at holding my own events without assistance from Mentors or otherwise. While I appreciate your advice, I do have some sliver of experience when it comes to hosting made events (I'd love to take the opportunity to point a few of those details out because I feel a little talked down to, but I'll take a higher road).

Edgee
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:17 PM CDT
>>Edgee

Wow dude, sorry.

That's totally my bad.

LOL, damn. Just to give you an example, I was gonna say 'A good example of a player-run event was Razor's Edgee."

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:19 PM CDT
I'll take it as a compliment then.
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:20 PM CDT
Man, it's just a contest. While I can see the mages whining (it's natural for them), I'm disappointed that Barbs did the same thing. If it would burn you up so much to lose to a mage, then challenge them after the event is over and chop their little waggling fingers off using all the abilities you can.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:22 PM CDT
>>Man, it's just a contest. While I can see the mages whining (it's natural for them), I'm disappointed that Barbs did the same thing. If it would burn you up so much to lose to a mage, then challenge them after the event is over and chop their little waggling fingers off using all the abilities you can.

It's a skill-based contest, no magic, but Barbs still wanna dance?

Really... how much of an advantage do you need.

Bleeding
Area Rate
left hand death awaits
heart liberal

Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 08:34 PM CDT
I nearly called it off before event time because that's what it turned into. I decided to let it go until doors opened but got more of the same thing.

It was just an idea that didn't fly. It happens. I wanted it to be a pit event, not a cemetary event. Tried to set up some overall ground rules that would pair up people as close to equal as possible (people mistook the 5 circle buffer to mean you'd only be 5 circles higher... even after I explained it).

Barbs said, "It's the pit, we're supposed to be able to use our bonuses there".

It's not an avenue that seems to sit well with people. So I'll try something else some other time maybe. And yes next time with a little more warning. I never expected mass turnout. I also never expected the level of indignation on both ends.

Win some, lose some.
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/01/2007 09:02 PM CDT
The thing everyone needs to realize is that the gladiator sport is not about being fair, or playing on an even field, or even about which guild is better suited to what. The point of the sport is to kill or die spectacularly for the entertainment of the assembled audience. Anyone who thinks otherwise will probably not enjoy competing in the sport.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Guild wars canceled 04/02/2007 01:56 PM CDT
I was really hoping to show some Barbs how its done in melee combat. Heh.

Despite your best efforts, skinning the gargoyle just isn't going to happen this time. Maybe helping little old Halfling widows across a busy Crossing street is more your line of work?