Pit Fights 06/22/2006 01:12 PM CDT
Hello, my fellow Barbs. I was wondering. Is there a specific reason that the pit is not separated into brackets or categories? Whether it be based off circle, or anything else... I think A LOT more younger barbs would get involved, and when I say younger barbs, I mean those that aren't 60+ circles. I'll be honest. I credit mostly all of my pit points to roars. It's really not my preference to win that way, since I'd rather go straight melee with anyone, but when the only Barbarians that I can even get to fight in the pit with me are 30-40+ circles higher, then I really don't have no other choice but to roar.

I'm never afraid of losing, and don't think that I'm BIG and BAD just because I can roar people, which is why if someone really wants to prove they can open a can on me, I'll agree to pit spar two times, one their way and one mine. Of course I always benefit from this, because these are people that are always much higher. But if there's a way to have categories by circle, ranks in weapons, ranks in defenses, ranks in flower-picking, or any other way to separate the 1000+ circle barbarians from always facing the ones who are much lower, then why not? If given the chance, I'm sure we could come up with titles to place in each category. This is just a friendly suggestion, and I'm curious as to what other barbs think of this. Of course I wouldn't terribly mind a response by Iayn or Rhazah themselves.
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 01:27 PM CDT
I'm not real familiar with pit fighting, but don't you get more points for betting people that are more difficult for you. If so then it wouldn't be to the benefit for the bigger folks to beat up on the little ones. Or are the point awarded always the same?
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 02:10 PM CDT
Originally the caps weren't there, resulted in abuse (Byw killing a bunch of novices). Now it works like below...

10th circle is the minimum, 10 points is the minimum point change, 100 is the maximum point change if one person is killed by a weapon hit. If someone bleeds out, have them log out and then back in and they will login outside of the pit, and then exit the pit.

If you leave the pit when someone else is in there, you lose a lot of points. I think I lost 400 when I walked in there to help out at an event when one couldn't yell down.

Points gained by the winner are lost by the loser and is only dependent upon circle (if automated). There are a few GMPCs that run fights and will award subjective points.

If you're found to be cheating or trying to fix the system, you stand to lose all of your pit points and thus the associated titles which appear under the generic category.

From my experience, out of the top 5, Navak and Vinjince are both under 60th circle and usually willing to fight various ways. For Navak, I am generally not going to go into the pit against someone 50+ circles above me (depending upon guild) without roars/berserks/dances but even without using those abilities Navak has won a few contests/tournaments which were held in the pit.

I am --- Navak
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 02:15 PM CDT
I'm not sure what would need to be broken down to have a lower circle barbarian fight against another lower circle barbarian and thereby allowing the winner to gain the points he or she would gain by the win. Or am I missing what your saying?

___
I know that I will die in battle, this I have accepted. I hope that it will be one of my own choosing, but if not do not bury me in a small, sad little cemetary. Burn me and spread my ashes to a strong western wind that I might make my way home.
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 03:11 PM CDT
>From my experience, out of the top 5,

Coulda gone to top 7. :P

>Navak and Vinjince are both under 60th circle and usually willing to fight various ways.

Not to yoink the thread, but Slaris is under 60th and is a Paladin, so various ways works nicely. He's good at dying in there.
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 03:13 PM CDT
>Or am I missing what your saying?

My impression was that they were asking for circle based brackets, 10-19, 20-29, etc.. so that more people would be encouraged to fight in there, instead of getting slaughtered by folks who are much higher.. I've been wrong before, though.
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 03:26 PM CDT
One would think that two younger Barbarians might fight in there often. But what discourages them from pit fighting is the fact that so many bigger people do, and they have the mindset that they'd be stupid to go in there and just die. (Which is actually opposite of what Vin believes a Barbarian should be like, since he'd pit spar or spar anyone... but that's just his opinion) However, I think a way to help encourage them to pit spar more is if there were brackets so that they'd know their opponent is relatively close to their level.
Re: Pit Fights 06/22/2006 05:48 PM CDT
Currently, unless a GMNPC is present as Navak mentioned, the points are completely determined by the circle of whoever you are fighting relative to your character.

It's something like this: You get certain points if the character is 20 or so circles underneath you, within your circle range and 20 or more circles over you. While that is all well in good, there are many problems with this approach. Real low circle characters have problems with fighting people around their level. High circle characters have problems with fighting anyone (due to other player's peeing in their pantsage). The people who have the best success will always be those mid-circle Barbarians because they have just enough skill to fight and just enough circles to find people within their circle range to gain a decent amount of points per fight (30 to 60ish points is a lot better than 10 points per fight).

The pit is anything goes melee. It would be good if the pit allowed for stealth and magic in there, to raise the level of competition. It should be still melee only and one reason I don't think magic will ever be allowed in there though, is because you can still cast spells at any range. Even though I don't believe stealth and magic will ever be allowed in the pit, it's just a thought.

The number one thing that really should be altered a bit is the scoring system. There should have some meaning for people fighting others that are on the pit board list of rankings. Like, an extra 50 points for fighting the number one pit ranked character, an extra 45 points for fighting the number 2nd through 5th ranked character, an extra 40 points for fighting the number 6th through 10th character and so on. It should mean something for them to hold on to their spots.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Pit Fights 06/23/2006 09:21 AM CDT
No one ever wants to pit fight me. So I stopped asking.
Re: Pit Fights 06/24/2006 01:24 PM CDT
You blame them Edgee?

Brabs

Non Rangers practice a unique methode of locating people and places in cities......We ask directions - Mendasity
Monthly Pit Fights in Crossing! 11/05/2007 07:14 PM CST
2nd Saturday of every month, starting this saturday. 9pm est.

Regular pit rules. Contest will be double elim bracket format. Entry fee of 2 plat to help pay for the prize pool and tipping the empaths and clerics.

Will need: Several empaths and one or two raising clerics to work triage. This works better if we can have several so that you all can take shifts and enjoy some of the action. Empath and Cleric help will split 40% of the intake.

Prizes will be paid out for first through fourth place finishers. 25% to first place, 15% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd and 5% to 4th with the remainin 5% going to help fund future fight nights.

I'm planning on making this a usual monthly occurence on the 2nd saturday. Mark your calendars.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Monthly Pit Fights in Crossing! 11/05/2007 10:05 PM CST
Much praise to you my friend.
Re: Monthly Pit Fights in Crossing! 11/06/2007 04:33 PM CST
Forgot to mention, no barb or other abilities. Straight weapons skills.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Monthly Pit Fights in Crossing! 11/09/2007 10:44 PM CST
Find me in game. I'll toss in an extra 100p for opening night. Not sure if I can participate.