Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/05/2021 12:21 AM CDT
Next time you login, the utility skill will be grandfathered to 80% of your Warding skill. Your abilities will also be reset.

In addition, the following abilities will now teach the Utility skill: Famine, Tsunami, Dispel, Avalanche, Staunch, Prediction, Wolverine.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/05/2021 07:40 AM CDT

Greetings
I must have missed the memo.
thank heavens for old logs. I stared blankly at Agonar for 10 minutes trying to remember what abilities I had. I know I'm old but forgetting everything I knew all at once! Man that was scary.
So, are more changing coming to the guild in the future?

Ancient Barb
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/05/2021 09:11 AM CDT
>I stared blankly at Agonar for 10 minutes trying to remember what abilities I had. I know I'm old but forgetting everything I knew all at once! Man that was scary.

You can also use the commands:
Berserk list
Form list
Meditate list

To list the abilities your barbarian character knows in-game.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/05/2021 11:04 AM CDT
Well, having to respec is gonna kill me. I've spent months over the years unlearning and relearning abilities I wanted now I got to spend months unlearning and relearning again.

Example: I have to pick up either Everild's Rage or Seek (neither of which I used to have) just to get to Tornado due to prereqs. This actually sticks in a lot of ways in regards to respecing.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/06/2021 12:28 AM CDT

Ok, so now we have to go all over and find everything again? How crazy, why cant we just keep the ones we had?
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/06/2021 06:39 AM CDT
Welcome back!

A whole lot of things have changed during the last few years, so there's no need to feel bad. Just a few days ago, a change to a barbarian ability was rolled out that had me drooling and dreaming of dusting off one of my wee barbarians.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/09/2021 02:25 AM CDT
>Ok, so now we have to go all over and find everything again?

I don't think so. All Guildleaders should teach all abilities.

>How crazy, why cant we just keep the ones we had?

We almost always reset people's abilities when there are major changes.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/09/2021 07:51 AM CDT
For what it's worth, you still need a pit master for masteries vs a GL for all other abilities.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/11/2021 09:26 AM CDT

We do need to go all over the place to relearn the masteries. THis process takes hours including travel and figuring out what abilities you already had. A warning on the reset would've been nice so we could've logged our abilities for later reaquiring...

Also, as someone above said, it will take months to learn then unlearn abilities to get the same ability tree due to prerequisite requirements and the 30 day cooldown timer on forgetting x 1 ability. If you could undue this reset, that would be greatly appreciated....if it wasn't an absolute requirement for code purposes, I think it was a mistake. In the future, Barbs already have the ability forget all, and could've used that option instead of causing months of ability tree issues. You can let the players make the decision and not make it for them, saving probably months of issues. I doubt any barbs will change their abilities as a result of the utility change, so resetting only punished people unnecessarily.

If unable to undue the tree reset, which is probably not possible, could you please turn off the month long cooldown timer for at least a few weeks so that we can fix the ability tree?

Lastly, why is utility grandfathered at 80%? Assuming barbs use their abilities regularly, it would naturally be very even and close to 100% of other "magic" type abilities. I think it would have been much more accurate/fair to use an average of debilitation, warding etc to inform the grandfathered rank.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/13/2021 03:00 PM CDT

My impression was any pit master could teach all the masteries?

I would be surprised if unlearning abilities in order to bypass typical prerequisites is truly intended, likely occupying the same sort of grey area as, say, Paladin burgling, where it's not really worth correcting the adverse behavior, but it also won't be catered to. Regardless, I suspect appeals to it are likely to get you very far towards getting the cooldown removed, even temporarily.

It would have been nice for warning, so abilities could be noted - I know this was relayed to staff in the Discord and noted - but for this time, if you log your own gameplay, you can search for "From the path of the Horde you know" or such to find where you listed them last in gameplay.

Grandfathering was set at 80% to keep Barbarians in line with Thieves when they were given Warding. It's also frankly more generous than most grandfathering of new skills in the past, which have been set to either 0, or circle requirement. Traders all started at 0 magic, excepting what they learned in classes, if I remember correctly, and Astrology and Conviction were both "base circle requirement" for sure.
Re: Barbarian Utility Grandfathering 06/13/2021 04:16 PM CDT
>>Also, as someone above said, it will take months to learn then unlearn abilities to get the same ability tree due to prerequisite requirements and the 30 day cooldown timer on forgetting x 1 ability.

Truth be told, this feels like a rather broken, if not buggy, way of things working, anyway.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.