How you doin? 06/24/2019 07:37 AM CDT

So, returning to DR after another long break, hoping the nearly-a-year absence gave enough time to see progress on all the gaps in development here. Years ago, multiple GMs vocally agreed we were lacking, almost desperately. There were proposals and promises, but I returned to a barb forum with around one hundred posts in my entire absence. None of these seem to be promising about actual growth, improvement, or even repair.

Are things happening? Is development even being done? Is there any kind of timeline announced 6+ years after the semi-release of our current broken form?
Re: How you doin? 06/24/2019 10:51 AM CDT
I also just recently returned from a long hiatus, and am generally satisfied with the state of development while I was away. Rested EXP and now the impending enchanting release are both major overhauls for the positive.

I forgot where I saw it, but some GM announced that they were working on a proposal for a Warstomp rewrite (or maybe it was even approved?) that involved damage-dealing alpha strike, if I understood the message correctly.

I was quite pleased to hear that, because coming from a PvP perspective, that is one huge tool really missing from the Barbarian arsenal. I doubt it will single-handedly make Barbs top-tier for alpha strike, but anything helps.
Re: How you doin? 06/24/2019 10:59 AM CDT
Even with an alpha strike, that's just a moment of burst. It's a step in the right direction, but it doesn't fix the problem. That's like saying your water pressure is low, but every time you take a shower, I'll throw a single water balloon at you to help.

That is, unless, they're using the term 'alpha strike' as just a potent attack and not an initiator/opener as eliminate on a long cooldown. Still, a lot more tweaking/adjusting/fixing that was proposed and not touched, it seems?

Maybe now that Enchanting has finally been released, we'll see Kodius return.
Re: How you doin? 06/24/2019 12:00 PM CDT

> Maybe now that Enchanting has finally been released, we'll see Kodius return.

Artificing is released. Weapon and armor enchants are still pending.
Re: How you doin? 06/24/2019 04:00 PM CDT
>Even with an alpha strike, that's just a moment of burst. It's a step in the right direction, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I think there are some grander, fundamental problems to combat and magic design that put Barbs and Thieves in a difficult spot, like TM and Sorcery being so universally good.

Taken strictly as a guild kit though, and relative to other guild kits, Barbarians are fine. I'd put us in the upper-middle in terms of kit appeal.

>That's like saying your water pressure is low, but every time you take a shower, I'll throw a single water balloon at you to help.

As from our previous discussions over the years, I just fundamentally disagree with the notion that THE ENTIRE GUILD IS BROKEN TEAR IT ALL DOWN AND FIX IT. That seems hyperbole to the point of parody, to me. We definitely have some glaring holes to fill, and by modern standards, our kit is very vanilla, but these things can be improved incrementally and I feel a few small changes could make a substantial difference in our layout.
Re: How you doin? 06/25/2019 02:05 PM CDT

I mean, utility wise I feel we're in a great spot. I think as the 'Masters of weapon combat' we do not shine above any of the other guild buffs available, in most cases we actually underperform. (See: weapon stat buffs, tsunami vs resonance(I think?) and Dragon vs Oath of the Firstborn)

I feel more than an alpha strike, we need a secondary damage stream, or an active, repeatable skill/modifier ala backstab to bring our damage output into the realm of 3.0 potential of literally EVERY other guild. (Though yes I feel thieves damage output is similarly limited, but their currently amazing ability set helps backstab shine.)

I don't understand the underlying workings as well as some, just the current application of what we have. That said, I personally don't feel like we need a rewrite, just some VERY overdue attention.