Returning after long absence 02/28/2018 09:30 AM CST
Greetings fellow barbarians. I am returning after a very long hiatus. I am sure much has changed since 2011. Just not sure where to start. I am currently circle 35. I have 575 or so tdp to spend but not sure what to invest in. I have no barbarian skills anymore (dances,roars,berserk). I am close to crossing. I logged on last night for first time in the middle of black leucros. Didn't have much time to play but managed to make it to Kaerna village so I'm close to crossing to retrain my skills.

There was also a message about a respec verb but I didn't know what to do about that so I did nothing. Any advice to get me back on the road to adventure will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Returning after long absence 03/01/2018 12:30 PM CST
Welcome back! A general primer of what's new:

* The respec just lets you reallocate stats. Combat's changed a lot since 2011, damage and accuracy are now separate calculations. I'd recommend a fairly balanced approach to stats till you have all stats to at least 30.

* We're not mages in the fiction now, but all skills (including Barbs and Thieves) now power their abilities like the magic system. As examples, on top of stats roars also use debilitation ranks, dances and berserks are powered by warding and augmentation ranks, etc. We also have 3 paths, and like spells many abilities have prerequisites. Check here for a good breakdown:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Barbarian_abilities

* We have a guild-only skill called Expertise, and it's needed to circle. You can train it by doing ANALYZE <critter> or using charged combat maneuvers (look up the phrase on elanthipedia for a list of them). A solid way to train it is to just do ANALYZE <critter> FIRE and then input the commands listed over and over again. When you finish, you'll get a nice chunk of expertise along with a bit of inner fire recharge.

When picking your abilities, be sure to pick up a roar or two to train debilitation and an ability to train warding (Famine berserk and Tenacity meditation are both great choices). Get Dragon and Eagle forms, and pick up the defensive stuff (especially Python and Monkey) as early as possible. Your combat routine is going to be starting a meditation (or two) and then throwing up a couple forms, and using roars as needed. Forms are our bread and butter abilities.
Re: Returning after long absence 03/02/2018 03:52 PM CST
Welcome back. I'd also take a look at Elanthipedia's Barbarian page. Oh, get Powermonger as your first mastery. Life changes for the better after that.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Returning after long absence 04/18/2018 11:12 PM CDT
Welcome back!

Combat itself has changed a lot since 2011, so make sure you catch up on it in Wikipedia! The biggest thing I think you'll notice is that brawling is a much more viable weapon skill than it used to be, and shield is a much more viable defense. You will also find that some skills have been rolled together or changed. If you ANALYZE the critter you're facing, you will train tactics, which is a new lore skill. My characters have jumped up a few rungs of the hunting ladder because of this.

Best of luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy