Ability tit-for-tat list 12/25/2017 08:19 PM CST

Kodius had mentioned that if Barbarians go tit-for-tat when it comes to abilities and slot readjustment, that Barbarians will "lose badly" if we're brought in line with other guilds - inferring that our costs would be even more than they are now. This prompted me to compare against different guilds (MUs and Thieves - though I mostly left Thieves alone) as a sense of comparison. Not every ability barbarians have has a duplicate within another guild, but most of them are, so I was able to come up with a somewhat reasonable comparison.

Most challenging aspect in comparison were the number of magical barriers that barbs have. There is a LOT to choose from - just unfortunately since there are a number to choose from, it makes cross comparing a little difficult since magical barriers tend to be more general vs specific against reflex, willpower, vs mind/magic/fear/charm, etc etc. MUs have Lay Ward (akin to Serenity, just without the caster suffering a casting penalty whereas barbs suffer a roar penalty), essence of yew, etc. MUs do have specific (soul shield, psychic shield), but each guild usually specializes in one type.

I created this spreadsheet on Google docs and am linking it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tFaI-db1RJOmvy6tgbYXWKrSh4BNBAcBLbcwoFbqJ58/edit?usp=sharing

Formatting it to fit the forums seemed like a real chore and something that didn't come together well so I stuck with the spreadsheet.

Now, I'm not expecting things to be complete apples to apples - although I think that was the point of 3.x, to bring things in line and be comparable across the board. At the bottom of the spreadsheet you'll see all of the costs of our abilities totaling up to 107 slots. When compared to magic users (and factoring in magical feats), plus some number tweaks here and there when something does not have a direct counterpart - you'll see that it totals up to 81 slots. That is a difference of 26 slots, and a lot of that is heavy based on "masteries", which are generally expensive magical feat counterparts. But you'll also see things like eagle form, which is +ranged and dual load, and requires 2 slots.. meanwhile see the wind (+ranged and dual load) costs one slot and doesn't even require a prereq.

I understand you'll look at this and say "Well, roars are default with the option to AOE" - and I can understand that. Just note that a good number of the roars already have the AOE cost built in (wail? overpriced kuniyo which costs more but does less than DMRS? etc etc?), but even if we were to ADD one slot to each of those roars, we would only be adding on a total of 11 slots (11 roars), so that would bring the difference down from 26 to 15. And that's even counting slash the shadows which hasn't ever worked.

And that doesn't even factor in that barbarians are on the tert slot chart, meaning we do not get as many slots for abilities as our mage primary and secondary counterparts. And forms, berserks, and meditations are all limited on how many can be running at the same time, but a mage can have pretty much everything going all at once as long as it isn't a cyclic.

The goal of this isn't to look at this list and say "Well, magic users should be nerfed", but instead think "Well, Barbarians should be brought more in line potential ability wise to compete." Again, we're still limited by the number of forms, berserks, and meditations we can have on at a time so we still have a ceiling, I'd just like to have more options to choose from depending on the situation.

It would also help if barbarians didn't have up to ten columns in order to get their prereqs, meanwhile mages usually only have up to six. We wind up with useless fillers because we have to keep feeding the chain of prereqs.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/25/2017 11:10 PM CST

A couple of notes.

- Cheetah Swiftness would likely be a good comparable to monkey. Balance heal + auto stand + agility = 2 slot cyclic.

- Frostbite may be a good comparable for madness. Fatigue damage, knock down, -stamina 2 slot AOE.

- Ethereal Shield could be a good comparable for SWAN. 1 slot, group + AOE, and reduces most magic in a non-ablative way.

- Shatter doesn't have a knock-down. You need to add something like rebuke. It seems the effect is +1 slot cost.

- For the powermonger comparison, you really need to add in efficient harnessing and the other mana feat. It takes all four to see the best gains, and I'm not sure it'st still as strong as power-monger is. So you might want to add PoM, OM, Nexus, AUS, or Shadowling. It all depends on the numbers behind the scenes.

- Yogi is unique, but frankly that's not a barbarian thing. Meditations are akin to rituals. You can do those as an MU in combat. The reduced RT is a huge buff to barbarians though.

- Compare templar to compost. 0 cost ability.

- Compare avalanche to Zephyr. Pulsing, AOE, 2 slot fatigue heal. Room based though.

- Vertigo is probably a better comparison to anger of the earth, but it's also pulsing and includes a -OF for 3 slots. Maybe DEMA, but frankly it's a wasted slot right now. No one would use that in the current state since balance isn't a huge deal in PvE.

- Death's Embrace could be compared to rage of the clans. AOE, Pusling, +melee/ranged accuracy, 2 slots.

- Is MPP a good comparable to tenacity? How do the numbers align. Also look at the new trader spell which is just piercing + puncture for 2 slots, and it can be shattered with an impact attack. How do the numbers work for Duelist too?

- Wildfire and Volcano and Strategos and Wolverine and Prediction are barbarian unique utility, maybe comparable to thieves, but their slot costs are terrible.

- Guile is a bad comparison to rage due to thief slot costs, concentration costs, and how short the ability is. I'd instead point out HYH + MALE which lets you give an OF or DF or Hybrid debuff AOE. That's 4 slots for an AOE cyclic.

- You need to add slots for Aegis of Granite since its an elemental transformation. If you go AEG then you lose agility, melee weapon buffs, brawling buff, and bonus fire damage. Shield of Light is probably a better example. That's 3 slots for +shield + conjured shield (which you'll almost never use, you just want the buff). GoL can be used for the stamina comparison. That's +1 for courage.

- How do the numbers work for Tribalist? Do you need to compare it to AUS + Shadowling to get a comparable amount?

Also note that I believe Raesh went through and reduced the cost for AOE abilities. Frostbite, Tremor, DMRS, and others were reduced from 4 slots each to 2 slots each. It's also worth mentioning that most casters don't have the same progression flexibility as barbarians (they should!). So some spells have artificially reduced costs to reflect picking up worthless spells (YS) or other undesirables (IE: IP for Warmies to get Frost Bite - some use, but not everyone wants it). You should also add +1 slot for each cyclic you're comparing to since they get a slot bonus.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't kick this ant hill. I agree that slot costs seem unreasonable, but barbarians are in the place that the old bards used to be in. They could do effectively anything, but fewer things at any one time. That was deemed too powerful. They still haven't regained all of their abilities or unique utility that was stripped in 3.0. Barbarians are likely the most versatile guild in the game, with unique combat utility and fantastic skillset placement too boot. That's on top of abilities that appear (?) stronger per experience point, and the amount of signature abilities you needed to pull from so many guilds just to find comparable for most (not all!) of your buffs. If you're not careful, you could easily get a nerf.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 04:21 AM CST
It's confusing that you think it's a good idea to point out that you have access to all of the best buff effects from every guild in the game. There is no way a discussion about it ends in your favor, probably why everyone is avoiding posting in this thread.

When a GM posts that you should probably leave this topic alone for your own benefit then you should probably heed that advice.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 08:15 AM CST
--@Uritel, you have Duelist and Tribalist mixed up on your chart.

>A couple of notes.
>- For the powermonger comparison,

I'm only arguing for the IF masteries to be reduced in cost, the rest I leave to others.

Imagine if magic users needed 1 feat for debil cyclics, 1 for warding cyclics,1 for augmentation cyclics, and they each had a cost of 4 slots. That's where Barbs are. Tribalist helps with forms (think 1 set of cyclics), Titan helps with Berserks (there's a second set of cyclics), Powermonger helps with everything. Deep Attunement helps with everything, Efficient Channeling helps with cyclics, Efficient Harnessing helps with everything as well. Magic users get an effective 30% buff to mana usage, I'm positive that's comparable to what Barbs are seeing, but without knowing the actual numbers it's all a guessing game. What I do know is that barbs are crippled until they get those masteries, just like MU's are crippled without their feats.

Magic users need a feat to use universal foci that costs 1 slot, Barbs need to spend 4 slots for a Mastery that let's them start meditations while standing and/or in combat.

Barbarians cost: 16 slots plus massive prerequisites. Can only forget 1 ability per month.
Magic User cost: 5 slots if we get Debilitation Mastery to be on completely equal footing, and no prereqs. Can be forgotten at will as well when they become outgrown.

How is that anywhere near fair?
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 08:29 AM CST
Why do you think cyclics cost 1 slot for magic users? And why do you think all magic users have cyclics in all areas of magic?

You guys should really make better informed arguments
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:01 AM CST

>You guys should really make better informed arguments

Eh, it's about as informed as it can get seeing as I have an MU with 1400+ in all magics. I don't think you understand at all what's going on with Barbs and their slot costing, you should probably play one and see how limited they are in comparison. Direct comparisons between the feats/masteries results in Barbs getting the short end of the stick. The feats for MU's cost 1 slot because they're needed, the feats for barbs (aka masteries) are also needed but cost 4x as much for the same exact effect... enlighten me on what you don't understand about this?
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:10 AM CST
>>The feats for MU's cost 1 slot because they're needed, the feats for barbs (aka masteries) are also needed but cost 4x as much for the same exact effect...

I agree that they shouldn't cost 4 slots each and I believe that they shouldn't be locked behind the requirements they are, but most of the masteries are doing more than 1 thing. Comparing them to magic feats doesn't work out 1:1.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:16 AM CST
Can feats me unlearned at no cost and with no cooldown? I wasn't aware of that.

As I said elsewhere, slot costing is something we will continue to iterate on. When time allows I am inclined to buff the base IF regen/cost in exchange for less useful/expensive masteries.

But this will not occur until the Barrier review and other magic reviews are done - simply because I do not have the time to do the work twice.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:17 AM CST
>>Can feats me unlearned at no cost and with no cooldown? I wasn't aware of that.

No cooldown, cost of some coins, not prohibitively expensive iirc.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:34 AM CST
Tribalist: reduction in form cost + debil buff, accounted for that in my slot comparisons. An MU gets the same effect for 2 slots, I'd gladly trade off the debil buff for a slot refund.

Titan: reduction in berserk cost, nothing else. MU gets the same effect for 1 slot.

Powermonger: precise readings which MU's get that for free with POWER, +PM ok so we're at 1 slot, +Passive limit, so we're at 2 slots now.

Yogi: Don't have to sit to use meditations 1 slot, reduces RT 1 slot, reduces IF cost 1 slot. So we're at 3 slots for this one. Equivalent MU would be universal ritual foci + faster rituals, the cost reduction MU's get is covered for all spells by Efficient Harnessing, barbs need a cost reduction for each of their ability types.

Barbarians: 16 slots, should be 8, and I'd give up the meditation RT reduction for another slot refunded.
Magic User: 6 slots (I forgot about raw channeling in my previous post).

Kodius, appreciate you letting us know slot costing is at least on the board to be looked at. A nifty IF bar for the UI would be amazing too... just saying! (it's Christmas time, might as well ask for it all!)
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 09:37 AM CST

Let's also not forget that barbarian abilities are significantly faster than spells, instant in some cases. They're also not dispellable. That has value, especially in pvp.

I'd be willing to bet that most casters would happily trade an extra spell slot or two for an instant debilitation spell that never backfired.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 11:17 AM CST
>>No cooldown, cost of some coins, not prohibitively expensive iirc.

This is more because the "preview" wasn't turned off yet. It's supposed to function like Throne City's spell forgetting system.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 11:27 AM CST

>Let's also not forget that barbarian abilities are significantly faster than spells,

It's why I'm just focused on the IF consumption masteries/feats, the rest of it is such muddied water I don't want to even think about wading through that right now lol.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 11:50 AM CST
>>>Can (magical) feats be unlearned at no cost and with no cooldown? I wasn't aware of that.

>>No cooldown, cost of some coins, not prohibitively expensive iirc.

>>>This is more because the "preview" wasn't turned off yet. It's supposed to function like Throne City's spell forgetting system.

Have a source for that, TEVESHSZAT? I could not find any posts that stated magical feats were intended to function on a cooldown timer like TC's spell forgetting system.

It would be cool if Barbarians could forget masteries outside of their normal ability forgetting timer for coins like MUs can forget magical feats.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 12:06 PM CST
>>Have a source for that, TEVESHSZAT? I could not find any posts that stated magical feats were intended to function on a cooldown timer like TC's spell forgetting system.

AFAIK, forgetting spell feats (and crafting techniques!) are both supposed to function like spells. If there isn't a timer on them yet, it's just because it was forgotten about over time. No real source on this short of GMs saying it in the past and me remembering.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 12:09 PM CST

>>Let's also not forget that barbarian abilities are significantly faster than spells, instant in some cases. They're also not dispellable. That has value, especially in pvp.

I agree on the PVP aspect, however, barbs cannot dispel MUs either. So I put that as a fairly equal exchange between barbs/thieves and MUs.

>>I'd be willing to bet that most casters would happily trade an extra spell slot or two for an instant debilitation spell that never backfired.

Sure, I wouldn't mind trading an extra slot or two on a spell to make it instant. Every single one of them? No.

Some people have mentioned that barbs have the "best buffs in the game", but when I compare them vs clerics and warrior mages I don't see a whole lot of difference in the buffs themselves - just the costs that it takes to acquire them. Barbs are also capped in the number of buffs they can have up, MUs are not. Masteries are expensive and are bundled together - can't pick and choose what you want like you can with magical feats. Tribalist? At 1k+ debilitation, what is the +debilitation good for? It also has the ability to reduce the maintenance cost (something akin to efficient channeling?) of only forms, and passive regen reduction of forms. That costs four slots and a big investment in prereqs just to get there. People get stuck with the +debil which is useless on the upper end. Shouldn't be four slots for that (and others.)
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 12:12 PM CST
Meanwhile over in Paladinland I'm in the slow process of merging some buffs together into more expensive spells because the cost in time and mana to buff with so many spells is prohibitive.

In the dark he heard a whisper / asking him to understand / in the desert look for water / on the ocean look for land.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 12:19 PM CST

>Have a source for that, TEVESHSZAT?

Now that it was brought up, I have to agree with Tev, I wanna say Raesh was talking about putting it onto some timer. And I wanna say it was here in the barb folders when we were complaining about XXX a few years ago.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 12:37 PM CST
>>Now that it was brought up, I have to agree with Tev, I wanna say Raesh was talking about putting it onto some timer. And I wanna say it was here in the barb folders when we were complaining about XXX a few years ago.

I think the timer was always intended, but they wanted people to test out things without having to 100% commit to them first, so people could learn/forget them at a whim (and for whatever reason they couldn't function like spell previews). I'm pretty sure the "forget spells" timer was also disabled longer than originally intended, but feats (and crafting techniques?) just flew under the radar enough to not be an issue.

Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:06 PM CST

> Imagine if magic users needed 1 feat for debil cyclics, 1 for warding cyclics,1 for augmentation cyclics, and they each had a cost of 4 slots

MUs can’t have multiple cyclics up at once, have four mana control feats, additional slots for mana control spells, have six slots for spell type masteries, and require 1-2 more slots for Cyclics. I’m pretty sure that the feats only grant 10% too, and I’m not sure if that double dips with magic skill set placement. So MUs are paying as much or more for less.

I think the ritual one could be looked at. I do wonder if you should have long prep times, high resource usage, mutually exclusive meditations, and material components to start barb rituals too, since we’re homogenizing.

We’d need numbers to compare effectiveness between all of that and the barb masteries.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:08 PM CST

> Can feats me unlearned at no cost and with no cooldown? I wasn't aware of that.

Yes. There’s a small gold cost, but you can unlearn them without a cool down. You get to forget one spell per RL month, and you can’t unlearn a pre-req to a spell you have memorized.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:12 PM CST

>>merging some buffs together into more expensive spells

Are these helpful/possibly vital buffs mixed with buffs that are useless mid to late game? Or ones that are helpful throughout?
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:16 PM CST

The one that was discussed in length was the Strength spell merging with courage spell, so I’d argue vital spells.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:20 PM CST
>>Are these helpful/possibly vital buffs mixed with buffs that are useless mid to late game?

I donno, how useful is an Int buff to a Paladin?

On the specific example of a spellskill buff being useless in the midgame, it could be Barbarians need harder and more exotic abilities to grow into? Just as a game balance / concept note, we're not against giving Magic Terts powerful, neat abilities. See: Traders getting a spell tied for hardest spell in the game.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 01:31 PM CST

>>I donno, how useful is an Int buff to a Paladin?

Very helpful. I'm more referring to lumping +Aug, +Warding, +Debil, etc etc when we're sitting on 1k+ ranks of those and have no real benefit.

>>On the specific example of a spellskill buff being useless in the midgame, it could be Barbarians need harder and more exotic abilities to grow into?

I like the idea. For example, I could see Volcano being further down the line of pre-reqs instead of a +Debil being one of the hardest to get.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 02:31 PM CST
Personally, I don't to this day understand the punishingly hard cooldowns for forgetting spells/abilities. This is the ONLY game I play that still uses such a mechanic. Coin cost? Fine, but 30 DAYS per? Eesh.

Samsaren
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 03:40 PM CST
>>Personally, I don't to this day understand the punishingly hard cooldowns for forgetting spells/abilities. This is the ONLY game I play that still uses such a mechanic. Coin cost? Fine, but 30 DAYS per? Eesh.

IMO, it's because you're [almost?] never at a point of no return for learning spells. "Man, I wish I learned X instead of Y" can be solved by circling more to get the slots needed for X, as opposed to starting a whole new build.

Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 04:29 PM CST
>IMO, it's because you're [almost?] never at a point of no return for learning spells. "Man, I wish I learned X instead of Y" can be solved by circling more to get the slots needed for X, as opposed to starting a whole new build.

That assumes no future ability/spell development. Spells/abilities are supposed to be hard choices and slots will probably always be limited to ensure that stays the case. I agree that the penalty for changing abilities should not be severe. Making spell erasure available only in one province and cost some amount of coin is fine. Long timers are a dated concept from when people (gamers) had a longer attention span.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 04:32 PM CST
>>Spells/abilities are supposed to be hard choices and slots will probably always be limited to ensure that stays the case. I agree that the penalty for changing abilities should not be severe.

If the penalty isn't severe, then it isn't a hard choice.

Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 06:14 PM CST
That’s not true. If I wear the wrong flavor of argyle socks from my awesome collection (don’t judge — it’s the hardest choice), nobody’s gonna kill me or force me to wear the same socks for a month. Removing a timer from ability/spell forget won’t ruin anyone’s enjoyment of the game and clearly it hasn’t been an issue for MUs yet. Should there be a cost? Sure, just like I should be mocked for my sock choice until I get the chance to remove them.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/27/2017 07:13 PM CST
Hard locks in a game with a 10-30 year life cycle are idiotic.

Always have been.

I'm looking at you, crafting choices. It's no longer 'difficult' choices at that point it's 'don't make a choice at all because in 6-50 months the GMs are going to redesign the system and make your super turbo cool button into cheese. Not even something that makes cheese, literal cheese.'

Plus it goes a long way to incentivizing alts and F2P farm characters, since I never know when that hammer is going to swing against me.

Most other games create meaningful choices by forcing you into a path; you can play a DPS but only have certain abilities. You can respec freely to a healer but lock out other critical choices. If DR wants 'hard choices', it should be between multiple equal value targets, not 'haha, new spell, bet you'd like to use it but you're out of slots, sucks to be you since it'll take 12 months to free up enough!'.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/28/2017 06:15 AM CST
> What I do know is that barbs are crippled until they get those masteries, just like MU's are crippled without their feats.

I've played multiple Barbarians and MUs of primary/secondary/tert Magic. Strictly comparing pre-Mastery Barb to pre-Feats MU, the MUs have a much better time.

Related, but distinct, is that the MUs can get to their "must have" buffs a lot faster due to their prereq arrangement. Barbs have to climb multiple trees for the same buff coverage, which is compounded by their extra long due to their slow slot gain.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/28/2017 08:29 PM CST
Late to the conversation, but I agree the whole ability rebalancing makes me really anxious about the respec times. To "unwind" a tree and make different selections would take years.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 12/31/2017 03:28 AM CST
>On the specific example of a spellskill buff being useless in the midgame, it could be Barbarians need harder and more exotic abilities to grow into? Just as a game balance / concept note, we're not against giving Magic Terts powerful, neat abilities. See: Traders getting a spell tied for hardest spell in the game.

I'm keen on more exotic stuff for NMUs (or expansion of the non-magical repertoire of magic tertiary guilds), but I struggle to think up ways to give Barbarians new, useful utility that I'd use that doesn't involve TM ranks.
Re: Ability tit-for-tat list 01/04/2018 03:38 PM CST
I have always thought turn Expertise into Barb's TM and make weapon based "spell" attacks for them outside of the clunky maneuvers that are just retreat spammed away from in pvp and really serve 0 purpose in say an invasion / RP event when we are all tossing our HT just to get a kill in to feel useful compared to the caster's running while being on fire and summoning pain and misery on anything challenging them.