Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 08:34 PM CST
This is what I am going to seek approval for next. Please let me know your thoughts:

* Meditation Dispel currently requires the Barbarian to sit, or if they have the Yogi Feat, to stand in place for up to 10 seconds waiting for the dispel to fire. The dispel can only affect them. As a result of the limitations this ability is not used by Barbarian. Proposing this confers a dispel charge (10-20 minute duration) to the Barbarian. So it can be prepared out of combat and used when necessary.

* RIPOSTE - Available as a general combat Style to apply a counter-attack + Tactical Combo Debuff on the enemy if they attack via a Tactics vs Defending contest. 45-60-second cooldown. Barbarians can learn Dervish Mastery (1 slot) to get the DERVISH style with its own cooldown, that applies a counter-attack and Barbarian Expertise Combo if a successful Expertise vs Defending check succeeds. This gives a more efficient way of learning Tactics for everyone. Gives barbarians a new way to utilize Expertise. And all-in-all gives PvP some more potential depth.

* Remove Meditate Power - I've been convinced to give this to everyone for free and propose replacing it with ...

* Meditate Sacrifice - 1 Slot Skinning Bonus Meditation

* Arcana forget quest and Ignorance bonus - I propose that ignorance of arcana will confer a bonus to the passive IF regen limit.

* Artificed Totems - Worn to confer an increase to the ability cap. One for Meditations, one for Berserks and one for Forms. Other options possible. Kind of a replacement for the Sharksteeth of old.

Waiting -

* Need the Barrier review to finish before we review slot costing too much. Could see some huge changes from all of that and I don't want to do work twice.

* Always looking for more ideas for Supernatural-themed Artificed items.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:08 PM CST
>>* Arcana forget quest and Ignorance bonus - I propose that ignorance of arcana will confer a bonus to the passive IF regen limit<<

I like the sound of this. Any idea on how much of a bonus?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:13 PM CST
I'm not barbarian-prime, but I do have a few barb characters. I've always been just a bit in love with the idea of a barbarian undertaking a quest to forge a special weapon and quenching it with blood rather than common water. I would have to think a bit to decide how to implicate this quest.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:14 PM CST
> * Remove Meditate Power - I've been convinced to give this to everyone for free and propose replacing it with ...

Honestly, from someone who plays a magic oriented character in this game (and others), this was a CONFUSING moment for me. Every magic guild in the game gets this for free. I initially thought I was doing something wrong.

> * Arcana forget quest and Ignorance bonus - I propose that ignorance of arcana will confer a bonus to the passive IF regen limit.

Again, not a barbarian main by any stretch of the imagination, but you make this a toggle like sleep rather than a quest? Right now, you can passively learn arcana by just being in a room with someone hiding their spell preps. Maybe the quest permanently disables it, or maybe you gain a new way to purge it.

> * Always looking for more ideas for Supernatural-themed Artificed items.

What about taking a page from some other games, like diablo 3. What if you could artifice an item that gave you a mastery ability (extendable to spell feats) without requiring you to learn it. Limit them to a one at a time type item (only one feat-item at a time that is), but it grants you the powermonger feat while you wear it. You don't need pre-reqs. In terms of balance, this could compensate for the lack of scroll slots most other guilds have, and you could have similar limitations apply. On death, they break.

Edited for masked vulgarity. Don't do this please - Iocanthe
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:16 PM CST

> I'm not barbarian-prime, but I do have a few barb characters. I've always been just a bit in love with the idea of a barbarian undertaking a quest to forge a special weapon and quenching it with blood rather than common water. I would have to think a bit to decide how to implicate this quest.

I like that idea. If you put it away before it kills something then it kills you instead. As a reward, when you kill something with it, you get an inner fire boost. If you aren't killing with it enough, it drains your own blood to compensate (vit hit).
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:47 PM CST
>>What about taking a page from some other games, like diablo 3. What if you could artifice an item that gave you a mastery ability (extendable to spell feats) without requiring you to learn it.

I don't know how we would code such a thing :(

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 09:58 PM CST

> I don't know how we would code such a thing :(

I can't look at the code so apologies for the WAG. What if it just replicated the effects and set a flag that powermonger could check? Look at the HE rings as a template. They already limit the number of rings you can wear to 1, and they each give raw bonuses. This assumes masteries are really a combination of flags.

If that's not possible, what about something like this. It's kind of far out there, so I'm not sure it would work.
- Wear item, gives you mastery, reduces number of available spell slots (allowing you to go negative). Call it an educational device of some sort. (think spell weavel - it teaches you a spell when you use it, but make this one permanent(ish))
- Remove item, takes away the mastery (like the spell library or forgetting), refunds spell slots (maybe automatic already?)
- The item will resist you if you already know the mastery, so you can't wear it. (check similar to the HE ring since it looks for another ring).

Again, if that's not possible, how about this?
- Model it after a gweth.
- Charge based item. You lose the ability if it turns (death, arrest, etc)
- Rub it to re-enable. It'll burn a charge if you already have the mastery.
- When it fades, even if you had the mastery before, you lose the mastery and have to re-learn it. Barbarian perk. You can swap around quickly enough (maybe add a stun or something) if you have enough items with enough charges.
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 11:12 PM CST
Maybe as a stretch goal this year I can put some thought into how to make something like that possible. Wearable feat-providing items wouldn't be bad a bad idea for MUs either.

The challenges is there exists dozens of ways to "remove" and "wear" items. Death and jail being two of the hardest to account for. And if you forget to add/remove slots and abilities it becomes quite a mess :(

Re: Tentative Proposals 12/24/2017 11:26 PM CST

Fair enough. As always, thanks for putting thought behind it.
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/25/2017 04:30 AM CST

>* Arcana forget quest and Ignorance bonus

Arcana: 645 14.50% focused (20/34)

My sweet sweet arcana!!!!
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/25/2017 05:37 AM CST
>Honestly, from someone who plays a magic oriented character in this game (and others), this was a CONFUSING moment for me. Every magic guild in the game gets this for free. I initially thought I was doing something wrong.

I'm definitely glad that meditate power is being given away for free, but honestly, the fact that ability slots being a guild-related or skillset perk is still a huge CONFUSING moment for me.

Edited for masked vulgarity. Don't do this please - Iocanthe
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/25/2017 08:53 AM CST
Throwing this in to see if this is still a possibility since we are talking future stuff. War Dogs for us still a possibility Kodius? Would even be cool to have some sort of barb quest to obtain one. Thanks.
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/26/2017 08:55 AM CST

> Arcana forget quest and Ignorance bonus - I propose that ignorance of arcana will confer a bonus to the passive IF regen limit.

+1 to "there needs to be a way to turn off Arcana gain permanently". It's way too easy to learn Arcana accidentally right now to put a mechanic around it.

That aside, if there is a mechanic tied to a lack of Arcana, it effectively means we're trading TDPs for passive IF regen. Is that a tradeoff any other guild has to make?
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/26/2017 10:28 AM CST

> That aside, if there is a mechanic tied to a lack of Arcana, it effectively means we're trading TDPs for passive IF regen. Is that a tradeoff any other guild has to make?

It's not just TDPs. If you want to activate magical devices then you're going to need arcana. Passive will work, but it seems like active ones will require a hefty amount of arcana to use when near the top-end.

However, to flip this around, I don't know of any other guild that has the ability to make that trade-off. A thief can't say that they'd rather not use active magical devices or learn a single skill in order to boost concentration regeneration beyond the standard.
Re: Tentative Proposals 12/26/2017 08:55 PM CST
Kodius, if you're looking for some ideas to spice up combat, maybe think about getting impale toned down so the -armor effect can be brought back? Or revamping the manuever system to make more useful? I know it's not barb exclusive, but I think we could get a lot of mileage out of it, plus it would be thematically cool to see people running around destroying each other with lances.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Combat_3.1_-_12/08/2013_-_16:38

I would say that if TM +damage foci is the new standard for what damage looks like in combat, a toned-down impale would not be unreasonable - I mean, at least with it, if I wanted to blow someone away, usually had to rage/shriek first.

Right now, with MAF as it is and how easily it can be recast, they really just aren't worth using.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."