3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:03 PM CST
Howdy folks.

I am wrapping up Self-Analyze and the new Weapon Maneuvers. How does this list of abilities look so far?

Barbarians will be able to ANALYZE X, where X is ..

IF - Regain a small amount of inner fire (0 skill)
Accuracy - To-hit bonus for 10-30 seconds (50 skill)
Damage - Damage bonus for 10-30 seconds (125 skill)
Intimidation - Prevent opponent retreat for 10-30 seconds (200 skill)
Fatigue - Prevent fatigue loss from combat for 10-30 seconds (350 skill)
Balance - Prevent balance loss from combat for 10-30 seconds (600 skill)
Vitality - Regain a small amount of vitality (900 skill)
Rage - The next berserk costs no IF to activate (1200 skill)
Calm - The next meditation costs no IF to activate (1600 skill)

Attempting one of these will check your skill vs the required amount. If you pass the limit you will get 2-3 seconds of RT and a tiny amount of Expertise. You then get a series of moves to perform on an enemy. Once completed you are awarded Expertise skill and the listed effect. Attempting it again will increase the difficulty and they could potentially fail to work... so it will impossible to always have them available.

Intimidation in particular will be available only once every 5 minutes. We'll see if additional cooldowns are necessary on the others.

The other system is New Weapon Maneuvers. Right now we are looking at adding the following to each weapon category:

Charged Maneuvers
Situation Maneuvers
Channeled Maneuvers
Toggled Maneuvers

Charged Maneuvers would work like this -

>>maneuver cleave goblin
You step back and prepare for a mighty cleave
(wait 4 seconds)
With great speed you charge the goblin and cleave it with your broadsword!
Your broadsword lands a powerful strike to the goblin.

Cleave would ignore shields and have a 250% damage bonus, as an example. Impale (polarms) would get armor ignore and a 300% damage bonus. And so on...

Charged maneuvers would have a 60 second to 360 second cooldown. This would be reduced by Agility and Weapon skill or Endurance/Expertise

Situation Maneuvers are used against disabled opponents. They take effect immediately and usually extend the disabled period and do additional damage. Again, these have a long cooldown to prevent abuse.

Channeled maneuvers auto-attack for 6-7 attacks, and each attack gets an increasing bonus to it. Some weapons may have increased accuracy, others may do more damage, others may ignore armor or get reduced RT.

Toggled maneuvers would apply a chance to proc an effect when you attack. They would last for 30 seconds to a minute.

Now I am thinking we would allow players the chance to pick several weapons to specialize in and unlock these maneuvers for. The best maneuvers will be available for the least popular weapons, in hopes of making them more appealing. Weapon Primaries would get 4 picks, Weapon Secondaries 3 and Weapon Terts 2.

I am anticipating each of these maneuvers teaching Expertise and using Expertise to bonus the effects.

How's that sound so far?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:11 PM CST
Looks really cool. I especially like the tiered system for IF-related Analyze.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:29 PM CST
Impressive and well thought out. I see why you are going to bonus less popular weapons, but most of us old timers will be frustrated by this.

Large Edged: 1037 Polearms: 232

Can you see where the frustration would come from? Hopefully 2he is considered one of the unpopular weapons!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:34 PM CST
Okay, that sounds very awesome.

> Now I am thinking we would allow players the chance to pick several weapons to specialize in and unlock these maneuvers for.

Are you thinking that picking a weapon would immediately unlock all the maneuvers for that weapon? Or would they unlock over time with skill? Would it be like crafting, where you still get limited access to maneuvers for non-specialized weapons?
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:35 PM CST
>>but most of us old timers will be frustrated by this.

Too bad? :P You still get a more-than-substantial bonus for using whatever you have now. And this gives min-maxers a reason to go back and train 1000 ranks of something if they want to see bigger numbers.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:39 PM CST
>>Are you thinking that picking a weapon would immediately unlock all the maneuvers for that weapon? Or would they unlock over time with skill? Would it be like crafting, where you still get limited access to maneuvers for non-specialized weapons?

I might space them out like 150 ranks, 250 ranks, 500 ranks. Of course Expertise/Endurance would reduce those, and some Guilds may get Guild maneuvers sooner or later.

Probably only the charged maneuvers from non-specialized weapons. It'd give you some way to learn Expertise, but that is all.

Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:41 PM CST
Hello.

I don't have much to say regarding the Analyze Self stuff since I don't play a Barbarian. Why am I even reading these forums?!

But as an interested combatant, regarding the other part. . . Ranged maneuvers, yes/no? Brawling? If yes to both, then 2/3/4 seems a little slim versus 14 potentials - I think it'd look better with 3/5/7, maybe? If no to both, then 2/3/4 seems fine. I am roughly figuring that it should look close-ish to 20/35/50% coverage for Weapons Tertiary/Secondary/Primary. Maybe you think differently? I dunno!

Other than that, the weapon maneuver ideas look neat. Hear hear for the halberdier.

"Izujesha doz uchubam!"
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 08:47 PM CST
These look and sound great. I think the order of Expertise ANALYZE abilities may need a bit of massaging, as someone who isn't a 100+ circle barbarian, as some of those abilities look like they will be fairly useless to someone still training.

For example, preventing retreat sounds primarily PvP related, and perhaps should be a 'selectable' ability, while fatigue and vitality regeneration are almost completely handled by avalanche/famine. If the name of the game is 'provide more options', then yay, but it seems like a little lackluster to provide something at 900 ranks of skill that is already swimmingly provided by an intro level berserk. The accuracy and damage boost seems perfectly in line, maybe swap the two, as a barb starting to overhunt around 150 or so ranks may need help having trailing weapons hit? Or, maybe an accuracy boost isn't a good place in combos, since to execute it, you'll need to hit the enemy in the first place. Maybe an accuracy buff should be a charged special attack or a channeled attack?

As for the other stuff, it all sounds awesome. I hope the cooldowns aren't too long as to prevent their frequent use!

One request I submit is for a bit better AoE. I feel we suffer in our ability to do damage to more than one target, in a way that all magic users seem to have, and I am admittedly still a handful of ranks from Whirlwind. In any case, when I think 'Cleave', I think 'hit all enemies in an arc in front of you'. A special charged attack that ignores shield and does more damage is fantastic sounding, don't think I'm shooting it down, but a special charged attack that hits, say, the enemy your facing and both enemies flanking would also be pretty great.

But yeah, super cool!
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 09:02 PM CST
> It'd give you some way to learn Expertise, but that is all.

Well, not me, since I don't have a barb. I'm just posting as an interested weapon-user.

> I might space them out like 150 ranks, 250 ranks, 500 ranks. Of course Expertise/Endurance would reduce those, and some Guilds may get Guild maneuvers sooner or later.

I was imagining some sort of slot system, awarded by ranks, that you used to unlock them. And specializing would increase the rate at which you earned slots. Sounds like you're going for something less complicated than that.

I'd hope for some way to swap specializations. When I started, I was ME/LE. Then I switched to ME/Longbow. I changed around a bunch more, at some point doing HE/2HE. Now I'm Brawling/LT, but giving serious thought to bringing in Polearm. I'd hate to lose the ability to change around like that.
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 11:40 PM CST
These sound absolutely awesome.

Will there be ranged weapon stuff as well?
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 11:57 PM CST
very cool Kodius.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/23/2013 11:58 PM CST

That stuff looks amazing. I'll admit I've become foggy on this stuff since I'm also not a barbarian, but refresh me.

Will there be any self analyze for non barbs?

And just out of curiosity, how does this work with stacking buffs which I thought was a big no no in 3.0 (oh).

>2/3/4 seems a little slim versus 14 potentials - I think it'd look better with 3/5/7

Totally agree that it should be more like 3/5/7 or 2/4/6... sorry Terts.
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 12:12 AM CST
Are the manuevers only available for the weapons you "choose" as your selected few or is it like hobby/career effect with lores?

I hope it's the latter. If the manuevers are only available for the chosen few weapons, that doesn't do much to encourage any kind of backtraining.
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 02:10 AM CST
A slot system would add 2-3 months to the development time. I think I can get generic picking of weapon types done in a more reasonable manner. We already have too many damn slot systems anyways.

I may be convinced to increase it to 3/5/7.

Please, nobody can be a master of all weapon types. Not having access to maneuvers isn't going to harm your backtraining in the least. It isn't like you have um now, right?

>>Will there be any self analyze for non barbs?

I'm looking at Self-Analyze being a Barb/Paladin thing for now, and tying into Expertise/Endurance. Maybe someday we can throw a bone to other Guilds, but you'd be looking at 10-12 months before I personally can get to it. Touching combat code makes me want to quit GMing. And touching Paladin code kills people. For realz :(

I forgot to mention that you will be able to ANALYZE SELF and get a random pick from the list. This may result in an option you don't like or cannot use, but may allow a harder ability to get used by someone with too little skill to try it. This path will also have slightly less RT to boot.

Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 07:54 AM CST
3/5/7 would be really awesome. The reason I mentioned backtraining was because you stated one of the goals, or cool side effects, was to provide motivation for characters to backtrain. That motivation is probably non-existent if the number of weapon picks is limited to the average number of "prime" weapons trained--that was my only point. 3/5/7 would do the job.
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 10:34 AM CST
I'm in favor of 3/5/7 too, gives folks more options as things shift and change.

Samsaren
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 01:07 PM CST

What about us ranged prime barbarians such as myself? I main crossbow though I have multiple weapons ( 7 I think ) that are all within 50 ranks of my main. Just asking about combat maneuvers with crossbow/bow.
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 01:21 PM CST

As a player I like the idea of 3/5/7, but objectively I think 2/4/6 is better.

Also would like to see some ranged love.

Slings anyone?
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 01:42 PM CST
I was likely going to lump sling in with bows initially. Adding ranged maneuvers is likely to take 2-3 weeks of effort, so I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole.

The nice thing is this gives us a framework to expand upon in the future.

Still torn on how many weapons to allow people to specialize in. This is NOT a system exclusively for Barbarians. Folks need to realize that. There will be other Guilds that get maneuvers Barbarians do not have access to. Much like Guilds have Backstab, Snipe and Smite. This is just a framework to bring new special moves like this under so they all behave in a similar manner.

Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 02:52 PM CST
How about limiting what weapons other guilds can use like shield is limited for arm worn? Pole ranged weapon primary, Large weapons secondary, small weapons tert. For ranged... Dang I am not really sure!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 03:38 PM CST
Kodius, I'm assuming for the analyze stuff that skill means in said weapons and it teaches expertise...or is it that the skill is in expertise?

Really looks awesome. I have a good friend who plays a ranger and she was lamenting the lack of anyone to code for them for a lot of stuff they have waited like a decade for--in your spare time, wanna code for team ranger? But do all the stuff you talked about for us first!

I really appreciate your quick answers to posted stuff and your great ideas. I'm so glad I play a barb! Now back to training! Roar Everild!

Shinarah
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 05:28 PM CST
>Still torn on how many weapons to allow people to specialize in. This is NOT a system exclusively for Barbarians. Folks need to realize that. There will be other Guilds that get maneuvers Barbarians do not have access to. Much like Guilds have Backstab, Snipe and Smite. This is just a framework to bring new special moves like this under so they all behave in a similar manner.

Well, OK, as the person who suggested the 3/5/7 split I feel I should explain my reasoning. There's in fact a specific reason I went with "3" as the baseline. First of all, I am honestly a person who nowadays mostly plays Weapon Tertiary guilds . . . and is aiming for the Weapon Master titles on one. The progression of +2 each time was just because that seemed nice and symmetrical while giving a solid advantage to Barbarians.

Namely, okay, you're a weapons tertiary person who trains for combat in spite of your deficiency. What are you going to choose? It doesn't honestly matter how many specialization slots you get. Your first choices are going to be the most optimal choices you can make them - most probably, one is going to be melee, one is going to be ranged. It's going to get so common, it will be just the common wisdom of how to do it. I am almost certain of it.

A third slot lets you choose a weapon for fun or for style. Yes, a few people will try to make this a boring choice - one ranged, one blunt melee, one edged melee. There will always be people who try to take a system that lets them make fun choices, and reduce them to how they can squeak another few percent out of it. But a third choice lets you play a Halfling who is really good with throwing things from afar and a knife up close. Or even do something silly if you don't care about efficiency, like pick SE, LE, and 2HE, and say you're a master of blades. It lets you pick Small Edged on your Necromancer simply because you think your character should be good with them due to the Philosophy's . . . fondness, and then make two "real" choices.

In short, it lets you have a "pet" weapon choice that has nothing to do with how optimal that weapon is, and is mostly for style. And I think that would be most like how it would play out, and it wouldn't play out that way if there were just two choices.

The +2 mostly just seemed like it was about right in terms of how much "better" to get . . . barbarians covering half of all the weapons, on the high end, so that they never have to make a tough choice on what to favor, just a choice. For weapon secondaries, they get a nice suite of weapons and can cover, say - "all the weapons samurai were historically good with," choosing HE/2HE (pesky katana!), bows, spears (polearms!), and then having something leftover they can stick in brawling and go "because karate came from Japan!?" Which . . . isn't how that worked in RL but honestly probably is a lot like how it works in DR.

Picking all the weapon forms of a swappable will eat up a lot of weapon choices fast, though. Oof. I feel for all the prospective riste masters. Of which I'm sure there's one out there . . . somewhere. Oh, and that's another good reason to start with 3 - it lets you choose something silly and exotic and still cover it if that's what you want to do in spite of playing a Trader.

Having explained my reasoning for why I went with the 3 as a floor, you could set the floor higher and the advancement slower and still end up in a similar place, but I don't think that setting the floor lower than that would be a good idea.

"Izujesha doz uchubam!"
Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 05:34 PM CST
Weapon maneuvers are intended to be an expansion for all Guilds, not just Barbarians.

For example, I'd like to give Rangers a few more special bow type attacks.

Been trying to think of how to add more flexibility to ranged attacks like I did with Thrown vis HURL and TOSS. Any ideas here? We had discussed draw strength in the past, but I'm not even sure how that would work or result in a more interesting system currently.

Re: 3.1 Stuff 11/24/2013 05:52 PM CST
I'm not sure how you'd express it in verbs, but a common distinction I have had expressed to me (so take it with a grain of salt) between European versus East Asian archery is that the European styles tend to focus on aiming a lot. East Asian archery does too, but is more reflexive. By which I mean, there's less a focus on the aim, and more a focus on responding to the moment. And people can of course do both - I am sure there are lots of longbow-trained hobby archers who then had a few lesson in kyudo or kyujutsu.

So, you can attempt something that penalizes the enemy's Dodge, or something that has a larger Aim bonus.

Also, thinking about how a hunter (like, of actual bow hunting, with animals) might do it, you could try to land a shot that might do the most damage to try to kill them in one shot, you can try to land a shot that will bleed messily and make them easier to track and guarantee they die eventually, and you can also hypothetically try to aim at a muscle group that would weaken the ability to run. Currently, the ranged combat system has a lot of expression on hit locations, but not all of them mean as much as they could.

So, a debuff that increases bleeding from that location, perhaps doubly so until the arrow is tended out, and a debuff that hinders evasion/retreat - stuff like that?

( And to explain what I meant by "floor higher, but slower progression" earlier - it'd look like 4/5/6. As a note, the way crafting works out lays out a ratio of bonus techniques from hobbies/careers at about 3:4:5. Ish. So I mean, that's a ratio that's actually worked out pretty well before, in spite of the routine sobbing over it. )

"Izujesha doz uchubam!"