medium shields 10/27/2017 01:36 AM CDT

Why are there not more medium shields with better punch than they carry now. As the largest shield a barb can use without a weight factor, I would think the demand for nmedium shields would be greater, or are they weeding out the medium size shield?
Re: medium shields 10/27/2017 10:12 AM CDT
The issue is more one of long term mechanics. It's generally considered a better choice to go for Small Shields to minimize hinderance, as hinderance effects all your defenses. Add to it the issues with medium shields and bows, and you're further encouraged to spend time/coin on a quality small shield over chasing a medium.

That's not to say there's other schools of thought, nor the chance of a 'special' shield to roll out that makes it worthwhile to embrace a larger shield to hide behind, but as it stands I'd go with a small shield (and do) for a Barbarian.

Samsaren
Re: medium shields 10/29/2017 10:39 AM CDT
Agree with Samsaren entirely. Add to that the fact that medium arm worn shield have the same high end cap as small shields (mod) and you lose any real value of going bigger. It is a bit of a canundrum.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: medium shields 11/01/2017 06:39 PM CDT
I agree there is No reason to go med shield in the current state.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: medium shields 11/18/2017 12:50 AM CST

is the penelty for using large shields that bad? Is it just weight and hindrance?
Re: medium shields 11/19/2017 03:04 PM CST

>is the penelty for using large shields that bad? Is it just weight and hindrance?

If you can have a piece of armor that gives you 10 points of protection at 1 hindrance, or a piece of armor that give 10 points of protection at 3 hindrance, which are you going to choose? That's where small shields and medium shields are at. And if you decide to go for that 3 hindrance for the same protection remember you'll also be less accurate with bows along with having increased load times, and I want to say the penalty while using 2handers is greater when using medium, though I could be wrong on that.
Re: medium shields 12/23/2017 06:40 PM CST
IIRC medium shields should have a higher protection cap than small shields. What are you comparing where you see no difference?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 04:54 AM CST
We're talking about how it's not worth it because we get more encumbrance.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 07:22 AM CST

This is a problem across the board. Paladins have serious discussions about how a small, 1 hindrance shield is better than a huge tower shield because of how penalizing shield hindrance is. Traders, Barbarians, and Rangers generally don't even consider medium shields to be worth anything. Everyone wants the lowest hindrance shield. Everyone wears it on the arm.

I wonder if you could solve two-birds with one stone here.

1. Greatly reduce or remove the defensive penalty for wearing shields on the arm altogether. Instead of lowering the protection stats, it lowers the hindrance of the shield. Nothing to almost nothing for small, moderate reduction for medium, great reduction for large.

2. You could then increase the penalty for 2HE/2HB/Bow to roughly match where we are today. This wouldn't be a nerf since it would be roughly on par with where it is today; however, combined, it would be a buff for every other situation, and it could make HE/HB a little more relevant.
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 04:54 PM CST
Balancing shield and armor hindrance has been a bear with 3.0. Brigandine suffers from the same type of issue.

This is more a discussion for combat, but what if shields could be worked down to 0 hindrance by skillset in exchange for a chance at additional attack/cast/fire RT?

For example (made up numbers):

Tier 6 small shield is 70% effective at ranged, 100% at melee.

Tier 6 medium shield is 85% effective at ranged, 95% effective at melee.

Tier 6 large shield is 100% effective at ranged, 90% effective at melee

Small shield can be worked down to 0 hindrance for Armor Terts.

Medium shield can be worked down to 0 hindrance for Armor Secondaries.

Large shield can be worked down to 0 hindrance for Armor Primaries.

Small shield has a 5% chance of adding 1 second of RT.

Medium shield has a 7.5% chance of adding 1 second of RT.

Large shield has a 10% chance of adding 1 second of RT.

Hindrance is too 1-dimensional, and I'm looking for ways to give ourselves more knobs....

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 05:50 PM CST
In my opinion, combat is already a touch too slow, I don't like the idea of adding more rt.
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 05:59 PM CST
Could you explain that some more? PvE or PvP? What are you hunting?

Lately when I observe players hunting they seem to be 1-2 hitting enemies, especially when using some of the newer weaponry choices, dual load, combinations of spells, backstabs, snipes etc.

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 06:05 PM CST
Also, for some reason your posts aren't showing up in threads for me, Kodius. The only way I can see your posts is if I click from the "last post" option in the category section.
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 06:24 PM CST
>>Lately when I observe players hunting they seem to be 1-2 hitting enemies, especially when using some of the newer weaponry choices, dual load, combinations of spells, backstabs, snipes etc<<

I never have one or two hit anything at level in this new combat system. I think I can punch a malchata to death in like 7 blows. That's like 1000+ ranks over their cap. For sure, never at level.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 06:58 PM CST
I don't have anything positive to say about making combat more random and slower.
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 07:15 PM CST
>> >>shield hindrance

So for a Paladin a capped, heavy Tier 6 shield gave about a 2% evasion penalty. So I'm not sure we can realistically make that lower. I'll be reviewing all the numbers though and try to see how we can improve things.

>>I think I can punch a malchata to death in like 7 blows, 1000 ranks over cap.

Looks like Malchata have some serious armor. I set them to the same armor as most enemies and they were dying in 2-3 punches. Critter balance leaves a lot to be desired....

A circle 200 one with normal armor was taking 7-8 punches or 4-5 chops of a broadsword to kill with a copy of you (only buff was Dragon), so in the 15-20 second range.

I'd have approached Combat 3.0 quite a bit differently had I been involved from the start. There were some good ideas, but no practical description for how certain goals were to be achieved. Thematically I like the idea of having cloth/bone/leather armor. But mechanically it is a mess especially given the integer-math limitations and prior-existing stat assignments of things.

Most MMO lock classes into weapon/armor types because offering a range of balance options is extremely difficult. If we reduced the hindrance on X, then there is no reason to use anything except X. Unless X also has a penalty somewhere to balance it out. Even then, that penalty will often be perceived as too big/small and result in everyone going in one direction or another.

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 07:33 PM CST
Still not 1 to 2 hits. And that doesn't factor in the fun misses what we all experience. Not trying to be an ass, just we need something with more oomph, big K.

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 08:53 PM CST
Well 2-3 punches = 1 greatsword swing :P

I tried a tier 6 greatsword with Wildfire, Dragon and Tsunami. Circle 200s were dying reliably in 2 hits while solidly balanced.

Dual-loading a composite bow occasionally killed them with one shot as well.

But you can see the issue. If an at-circle enemy dies with 3 Greatsword swings, how do you make it reliably die in 2? You'd need a 50% damage increase. And global caps don't allow for that.... This is also what makes our job difficult for making loot. We could release a Tier 10 Claymore with +33% stats... and people would say it sucks because it still takes 3 hits to kill stuff with.

Making combat too fast results in our inability to generate interest in better loot, crafting materials, quest prizes and abilities.

I'd be more in favor of a periodic massive damage increase, over a flat bonus to damage.

If we did pursue some sort of Channeled Rage (TM-like ability) how would you see it working?

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 09:00 PM CST
> This is more a discussion for combat, but what if shields could be worked down to 0 hindrance by skillset in exchange for a chance at additional attack/cast/fire RT?

I think that would be a huge win for, well, everyone.

> % chance of adding ... RT

I think this could work, but what about giving a nod to NMUs and Paladins? Khri Hasten (SE/ME/MB only?), Wildfire, and some Paladin passive could eliminate this random chance. That's a great nod to NMUs and recognition of both armor and weapon prime guilds.

Something like this:

- Penalty RT = (hindrance / 2.5) (yes, I'm aware this doesn't align evenly with shield size, but that's intentional)
- -1 penalty RT for wildfire / hasten / paladin spell(?) (not in the chart below for thieves and paladins)
- -2 penalty RT for being paladin.
- -1 penalty RT for being trader, barbarian, or ranger.
- +1 penalty RT for attacking with a two-handed weapon and not a weapon prime or armor prime (Barbarian, Paladin, not in the chart below for barbarians)
- +1 penalty for not being at the minimum RT for the weapon (encourages growth into big heavy weapons)
- +1 penalty for having a burden

So it would look something like this (Additional RT, always on, penalty rounded down, min of 0). (Small shields = 1-5 hindrance, medium = 4-7 hindrance, large = 5-12 hindrance).

-Armor tertArmor Secondary*Armor Prime
Hindrance 01 0-3 0-2 0-2
Hindrance 02 0-3 0-2 0-2
Hindrance 03 1-4 0-3 0-3
Hindrance 04 1-4 0-3 0-3
Hindrance 05 2-5 1-4 0-4
Hindrance 06 - 1-4 0-4
Hindrance 07 - 1-4 0-4
Hindrance 08 - - 0-5
Hindrance 09 - - 0-5
Hindrance 10 - - 1-6
Hindrance 11 - - 1-6
Hindrance 12 - - 1-6

NOTE: Barbarians have a -1 on the maximum hindrance due to weapon prime placement, not represented in the above chart. Thieves and barbarians (and maybe paladins) have a -1 on the min and max hindrance (not in the chart) if they have the speed buffing spell active. This means thieves could train away the penalty for all but the heaviest small shields, barbarians could train away the penalty for everything they can wear on their arm, and paladins can train away the penalty across the board.

As added benefits, this allows for a progression path for stats and weapons, even as shields and weapons become heavier and more hindering. Everyone will want to start with small shields and work their way up as their character grows. Paladins may be able to start with medium shields for optimal experiences. You can also add in an xp bonus across the board to compensate for the slower combat initially, which may also lead into a better situation regarding spawns (again, at least initially). It further reinforces HE/HB as a defensive/offensive hybrid, and it further penalizes 2HE / 2HB with shield usage, focusing on the berserker nature of these weapons.

If all of that is too complicated keep the random chance, and give paladins/barbarians/thieves an ability to negate it (wildfire, hasten, passive?)
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 09:12 PM CST
What are you killing with 2 hits? I am not seeing this on what I hunt. Definitely never in PvP. The kind of stuff I am talking about is my thief backstabbing intercessors to death with ease vs my barbarian and a tyrium greatsword with many swings.

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 09:16 PM CST
<<Hindrance is too 1-dimensional, and I'm looking for ways to give ourselves more knobs....>>

I kind of like the idea of making hindrance more of a trade-off between offense and defense, rather than a tradeoff between defense and...er, other defense? That goes for maneuvering hindrance of armor too, not just shields. It's always seemed a bit silly to me that choosing a bigger, more protective armor makes you get hurt more (because of the hindrance thing). Maybe the impact of hindrance on defending (and on swimming, good grief...) could be reduced (possibly by a lot), and instead it could hinder your offense somehow. Longer rountimes like you said, or a greater chance to Fumble your attacks, or something. Maybe a damage penalty? Attacks seem to inflict enormous amounts of damage when they hit anyway (referring to PvE, as I can't really speak to the PvP situation), so we could probably afford it. Or maybe the more hindering armor types (plate and, to a lesser degree, brigandine) could get a chance to nullify an attack even if you botch the defense (causes your attacker to Fumble more often?). The bizarre discontinuities in hindrance at the boundaries between armor types would be more palatable if the higher-hindrance category got some other benefit in return. Especially since they often don't get to be more protective. Of course this would have to somehow take into consideration how much of which armor they're wearing, since people tend to wear all of them at once...hrm.

Anyway, sorry to comment from the peanut gallery. As you said, maybe we should have this conversation over in Combat when the time is right.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor (not a Barbarian)
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 09:18 PM CST
>Shield proposal

I don't know what the answer is, but as an armor 2° I want compelling reasons to be forced to make a meaningful choices between shield types. Right now, arm-worn +low hindrance leads to only one real choice for me.

>Could you explain that some more? PvE or PvP? What are you hunting?
>Lately when I observe players hunting they seem to be 1-2 hitting enemies, especially when using some of the newer weaponry choices, dual load, combinations of spells, backstabs, snipes etc.

Ranger, ~700 def/off, hunting young wyverns, here are my logs from today. Ranged trains 2 bows, 2 thrown, melee trains HE, Pole and brawling. I find combat way to slow at level but that's just the way I feel about it. Here's some empirical evidence if it helps. Looks like roughly 2-3 minutes per kill.

** Kills 12
** Time 24.6833 (min) - 1481 (s)
[Script 'ranged-Wyverns' completed after 1482.97 seconds total run time]

** Kills 17
** Time 30.95 (min) - 1857 (s)
[Script 'ranged-Wyverns' completed after 1859.50 seconds total run time]

** Kills 10
** Time 23.5 (min) - 1410 (s)
[Script 'melee-Wyverns' completed after 1410.64 seconds total run time]

** Kills 15
** Time 28.45 (min) - 1707 (s)
[Script 'ranged-Wyverns' completed after 1708.93 seconds total run time]

** Kills 9
** Time 21.4667 (min) - 1288 (s)
[Script 'melee-Wyverns' completed after 1288.13 seconds total run time]

** Kills 13
** Time 26.7833 (min) - 1607 (s)
[Script 'ranged-Wyverns' completed after 1606.82 seconds total run time]

** Kills 16
** Time 29.05 (min) - 1743 (s)
[Script 'ranged-Wyverns' completed after 1742.83 seconds total run time]

** Kills 9
** Time 19.25 (min) - 1155 (s)
[Script 'melee-Wyverns' completed after 1156.63 seconds total run time]

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 09:59 PM CST
>>Definitely never in PvP.

I never said anything about PvP. PvP is an entirely different set of everything!

>> Killing stuff

Spawning circle 200 goblins, wolves, orcs, etc. It may be that at circle 200 fewer enemies naturally exist with natural armor. But not everyone is at the level cap and we routinely see folks 1-2 hitting crap in certain areas farming gold all day :( If I recall correctly, 75% of DR's enemies are below circle 100, and the majority have only natural armor at their disposal.

Backstab is also incredibly powerful due to its armor ignoring capability and first-strike bonus. But I don't believe they can use those on every attack?

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 10:02 PM CST
Hanryu - what tier weapons are you using, and what kind of arrows? Dual load on the Wyverns?

Re: medium shields 12/24/2017 10:06 PM CST

> Backstab is also incredibly powerful due to its armor ignoring capability and first-strike bonus. But I don't believe they can use those on every attack?

Alpha strike is every 30s, and you're required to hide and go to melee before you can use it. It's also considered a DFA, so high-evasion or high-perception classes/creatures have some resistance to it. It's also limited to humanoid creatures, or at least creatures that walk on 2 feet. You're also limited in terms of weapon size (30 stones or less, SE or ME), so the huge modifiers will never be compounded with huge swords. IIRC, the alpha strike is still insanely large (8x?), but the limitations bring it back down to earth in many cases.
Re: medium shields 12/25/2017 12:21 AM CST
Interesting. So I gave myself 720 bow skill and put up STW. Using a horseman's bow and drake-fang arrows and dual load, young wyverns (615 skill) were dying with 2-3 shots. Now it may be that I'm not grabbing the correct wyvern template, or you aren't using the equivalent to a Tier 4 horseman's bow. Or maybe the arrows aren't as good. So many variables to account for...

8s load
7s aim?
1s fire

* 2 = 16-24 seconds per kill.

I am trying really hard here to duplicate your results! How does the Wyvern appraise to you? I did notice they have an extremely large, heavy-plate equivalent flat-damage absorption. So using heavier hitting weapons will work best.

HE with 690 ranks and no buffs was more difficult. 7-10 hits depending on how many misses were mixed in. 28-40 seconds. But that would go down with CC and/or buffs being used. Still less than half the times you were posting though.

Re: medium shields 12/25/2017 06:32 AM CST
Haralun weapons, mistwood bows, basilisc arrows. Dual load snipe and throw(not hurl) running all the buffs I can apply. My script also counts skinning and spells both Buffs and debilitating as part of the kill time. I have joked in the past that I swear Hanryu is bugged!

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: medium shields 12/25/2017 07:42 AM CST
Whatever you are doing, Kodius, does not match up with what most of us experience on not tiny starter level critters. I am appreciative you are checking into it. If you ever want to meet in game and have me test in front of you on what I hunt, I'll be happy to oblige. We can even go to a few critters if you want to teleport me around.

I just tested on archons which I have been goofing with lately and with a tyrium greatsword, all the buffs, 4 chops. I think we are getting into lol details at this point, but definitely not 1-2 hits. If I was doing say intercessors at level, no way. They have insane defenses. It could be like you said, just some critters are the no-brainers to farm b/c they die so fast.

Regarding thieves as my example, and no I do not obviously wish to get them nerfed (seeing as how I am playing one), if you have ever wanted to just farm boxes like mad, hide, backstab, loop. I am sure I am not the only one playing a thief who knows this.

Re: medium shields 12/25/2017 04:28 PM CST
>>Reply Reply
Haralun weapons, mistwood bows, basilisc arrows. Dual load snipe and throw(not hurl) running all the buffs I can apply. My script also counts skinning and spells both Buffs and debilitating as part of the kill time. I have joked in the past that I swear Hanryu is bugged!

Hanryu wouldn't be the first buggy ranger!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: medium shields 12/26/2017 02:18 PM CST
>>My script also counts

Well, I can't speak to how much or how little time all of that other stuff is consuming in the process. A fight could last for an hour if you wanted it to - but that wouldn't mean that combat is "slow".

>> Hanryu

I just copied you and copied a young wyvern someone else was hunting, took your drake-fang arrows and dual loaded your copperwood battle bow after casting an STW (had to add a few points to your strength as it seemed too high a draw strength for you??) and got this -

You think you have your best shot possible now.
N>
< Moving as a single sinuous force, you fire an ice-adder arrow at a young wyvern. A young wyvern attempts to dodge, stepping partly into the blow. The arrow lands a massive strike that rips into the quadricep and extracts chunks of frozen flesh, lightly stunning it.

The ice-adder arrow lodges itself shallowly into the young wyvern!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
< Driving in like the overwhelming force of a hurricane, you fire an ice-adder arrow at a young wyvern. A young wyvern fails to evade, stepping partly into the blow. The arrow lands a massive strike that freezes the right femur and sends spidery cracks throughout.

The ice-adder arrow lodges itself shallowly into the young wyvern!
A young wyvern squeals in pain and thrashes its leathery-black wings about its frail body, before falling silent with a final desperate trill.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]
N>
You feel fully rested.
N>

I don't know what to think! I'll try to catch you in game so we can test it in person.

Re: medium shields 12/26/2017 05:06 PM CST
>I don't know what to think! I'll try to catch you in game so we can test it in person.

I'm in! I'll bow out now so we don't keep closing the barb folders with Ranger problems.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: medium shields 12/28/2017 08:32 PM CST
I don’t one or two hit moths.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html