Prev_page Previous 1
Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 07:07 AM CDT
Cross posting from /r/Dragonrealms -

First off, let me just say that I love the barbarian guild and am very happy with my choice.

That being said, I currently have 7 unspent training sessions and see no reason to get any abilities. With 134 Inner Flame skill, I can't afford to maintain any more forms than Python to help my defense combined with enough regular roaring to train debilitation. I don't have enough training sessions to get a mastery.

I don't see the point of getting any more abilities. I have monkey form and dragon form but never use them. If I got any more berserks or forms I can't see myself ever using them since I don't have enough inner flame. I can't see how more roars would be useful since my debilitation skill trails my combat skills so badly that the single roar I usually use (Everild's) wears off fast enough that using multiple is pointless. It's no more useful than just reapplying my primary roar.

Am I missing something? Is the basis for our abilities really this lame? I also have a paladin I play regularly, and every time he gets a new spell it's an exciting and immediately useful addition to his repertoire (usually in the form of some extra augmentation I can easily keep up at all times).

Is it like this for everyone at lower circles? For reference I'm circle 34 with the 134 IF skill.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 09:07 AM CDT

Reply:

Welcome to barbarian guild. A place that has to follow rules no one else has to follow.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 10:44 AM CDT
I'm only 13th, but I can keep Eagle up indefinitely and train Warding/Augmentation easily with Berserk Famine/Avalanch. Training wise I really have no problem keeping everything above 25/34
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 11:22 AM CDT

>I'm only 13th, but I can keep Eagle up indefinitely and train Warding/Augmentation easily with Berserk Famine/Avalanch. Training wise I really have no problem keeping everything above 25/34

Right, but at 13th, as a comparison, a Paladin can keep up AA, HeS, Courage, RW and SR. The equivalent for a Barb, approximately, would be Tenacity, Bear (minus the +warding), Tornado, and Dragon. So, you think at 13th you can get or keep up a meditation, a berserk, and two forms?
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 12:48 PM CDT
Of course not, I was just speaking about from a skill training perspective. I firmly believe we need a tweak to how it's all calculated so that we're not less effective than most every other guild. We also need some sort of actual useful attack form that uses Expertise. As it stands right now I don't think I'll ever stop using analyze flame and it seems silly that Thieves get backstab while we get ...?
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 12:54 PM CDT
Debilitation spells partially base duration off of mana used. At low circles you cannot put much mana into them, so they are going to be weaker. Ditto for roars due to skill/stats being low. But you should keep training it and maybe look at Roar Anger, which is an Intro roar and somewhat easier to pull off and has effects that last a bit longer (balance). Not every ability is capped the moment you can learn it... Using roars AoE is also a nice way to train.

Are you killing enemies in PvE or hitting them in PvP? Each critter killed awards a large chunk of IF back. Each Player hit awards IF as well.

How about using ANALYZE FLAME? Completing that will also give back a large amount of IF.

You should have no problems using meditations. I put mine up in advance of entering combat and my IF is restored by the time I'm in combat and ready to use Forms/Berserks.

Players tend to hit circle 50 fairly quickly and then 100+ in a few months, so I've not had much feedback from lower circle barbarians. It may need a review to see how they compare to MUs.

Finally, you could completely fill up the IF bar and then use 5-6 abilities at once and stop them when it drains down. Some of this will be made easier when I get the cooldown for run-out-of-IF mechanics in place.

And yes, Barbarians are NMU. They have restrictions that MUs do not have. They also have advantages that MUs do not have.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 12:55 PM CDT
>>that Thieves get backstab while we get ...?

Dual Load? Whirlwind? Slash the Shadows?

There are plans in the works to give Barbarians an edge with melee weapon combat due to their skillset too. 1-hit kill anyone in the game always!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 01:54 PM CDT
Using abilities for young Barbs and Thieves is pretty similar. For the first couple hundred ranks of magic it's a balancing act of keeping up more than one ability and managing IF/concentration. Last time I checked my mid 60s Thief could keep up 3 lower tier Khri without tanking her concentration with 140-190s in the magic skills. Using Ambushes tanked concentration pretty quickly though.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 01:58 PM CDT

>Finally, you could completely fill up the IF bar and then use 5-6 abilities at once and stop them when it drains down. Some of this will be made easier when I get the cooldown for run-out-of-IF mechanics in place.

But ability crash is a pretty big issue.

>Are you killing enemies in PvE or hitting them in PvP? Each critter killed awards a large chunk of IF back. Each Player hit awards IF as well.

Yes. Killing every minute to minute and a half, and at 75th, I don't think I could sustain the aforementioned comparison of two forms and a berserk. Maybe if all I did was ANALYZE FLAME, but that seems a poor solution.

Whereas a Paladin could easily keep up AA, HeS, Courage, RW, and SR. Hilariously, with just 3 more spellslots (so 18th circle) they can cast RuE on their weapons, which is sooooooooooort of similar to Tsunami insofar as being a weapon buff (a different weapon buff, yes, but a weapon buff). No way could an 18th circle Barbarian sustain two berserks and two forms. For an additional slot (we're up to 20th), they can get Soldiers Prayer, and have access to an anti-magic ward (Turtle or Swan, depending on how you want to spin it). No way way way could a 20th circle Barbarian put up two berserks and three forms. Mind you, the Paladin can also be casting Halt in combat - Wail of Torment is 7 tiers deep in Horde.

So, anyway. I'm being annoying again. Sorry.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 02:36 PM CDT
>>But ability crash is a pretty big issue.

Yeah if you don't stop a few early it can be a problem. I'm looking to improve how this functions. I'm contemplating all buffs stay up, at 33% to 50% potency based on skill or something.

>>Yes. Killing every minute to minute and a half, and at 75th, I don't think I could sustain the aforementioned comparison of two forms and a berserk.

At circle 75 you are unable to keep up 2 forms and a berserk?

It is fine to discuss the Guild's shortcomings. I am working hard to improve things. But when posters (not anyone in particular, but some) act like spoiled 12 year olds it just isn't helpful. To my health, or the health of the Guild.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 02:54 PM CDT

>Yeah if you don't stop a few early it can be a problem. I'm looking to improve how this functions. I'm contemplating all buffs stay up, at 33% to 50% potency based on skill or something.

But I think this is a problem - my barbarian is hunting seordmoars right now, and they can hit him with Tingle and Lightening Bolt (in fact, that's the only way they can hit him). To that end, I'm using Turtle, which completely blocks their spells (I'm actually quite happy with how this works), but when Turtle expires (or worse, crashes!) I have to drop it and put it back up. While it's down, or ramping up, they usually get a couple shots in on me. If this is a feature not a bug, then so be it, but ability crash in PvP strikes me as even more problematic than in PvE, where I can at least plan to leave combat for ~2m to restart the form.

>At circle 75 you are unable to keep up 2 forms and a berserk?

If I only ANALYZE FLAME, then yes, I can. To me, this is somewhat analogous to only letting an MU use three buffs if they're in a luminous mana room and do nothing but stuff mana into a cambrinth.

>It is fine to discuss the Guild's shortcomings. I am working hard to improve things. But when posters (not anyone in particular, but some) act like spoiled 12 year olds it just isn't helpful. To my health, or the health of the Guild.

I don't mean to sound petulant, but I feel the guild system is phenomenal both mechanically and thematically, and I adorbz my Barbarian... for about an hour, at which point playing him frustrates me and I switch to different characters. I'm also trying to not chicken little these criticisms, by providing comparison points where applicable. I've also proffered some suggestions (e.g., make Masteries be granted as a function of slots spent in each path, not as a capstone ability to purchase), but, yes, you're right, and I apologize if I've been whining particularly hard on this guild of late.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 05:22 PM CDT
>>But I think this is a problem - my barbarian is hunting seordmoars right now, and they can hit him with Tingle and Lightening Bolt (in fact, that's the only way they can hit him). To that end, I'm using Turtle, which completely blocks their spells (I'm actually quite happy with how this works), but when Turtle expires (or worse, crashes!) I have to drop it and put it back up. While it's down, or ramping up, they usually get a couple shots in on me. If this is a feature not a bug, then so be it, but ability crash in PvP strikes me as even more problematic than in PvE, where I can at least plan to leave combat for ~2m to restart the form.

Ok that makes sense. So the ability to refresh a Form would be beneficial. I don't see berserks as falling under this due to them being instantly-on. Let me see how that might be possible. How do thieves do it?

>>If I only ANALYZE FLAME, then yes, I can. To me, this is somewhat analogous to only letting an MU use three buffs if they're in a luminous mana room and do nothing but stuff mana into a cambrinth.

I do wonder if something is clouding the issue. That seems really odd to me. I can routinely keep much more than that up with a smaller barbarian. Is this while in combat? While killing things periodically?

>>I don't mean to sound petulant

Well as I tried to indicate, my comment wasn't directed at you :P

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 06:49 PM CDT
>>How do thieves do it?

If the Khri runs it's full duration then it's able to be restarted instantly (a few exceptions that have a cooldown). If it's ended prematurely then there is a scaling cooldown (the longer the duration, the longer the cooldown) before the Khri can be started again. Our wards stay up, but don't function for awhile after taking some hits.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 08:39 PM CDT

Doing a bit of an experiment now, with 3 forms (Bear, Dragon, Turtle) and 1 berserk (Wildfire), doing nothing but ANALYZE FLAME. I have no Masteries.

This is on Seordmoar, and I seem to be killing every 8-10 swings. If I do just ANALYZE FLAME, IF hovers a bit above passive regen. So, cool, that works for keeping some abilities up. If I pause ~30s, or if critter spawn slows, IF drops pretty quick. The berserk seems to run it's full course (something I'm not used to! I love the 'barely inflamed' messaging), buuuuuuuuut if I try and refresh it as soon as it ends, my IF drops and a form goes with it.

I concede that ANALYZE FLAME is a tool that allows enhanced IF generation and more abilities to be sustained, albeit somewhat erratically. I would not feel comfortable relying on Tornado or Famine given this.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 09:53 PM CDT
>>Slash the Shadows? <<

Kodius, have you had a chance to debug this a bit more? I did place the post in the bugs folder as you asked. Roar area vs a hidden opponent was the issue I have been having. Any chance you can just make this roar automatically default to area? You can't use it on-on-one vs someone if they are hidden via roar slash at NAME. It seems to make better sense as automatically defaulting to the entire area. Just a couple thoughts. Thanks.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/09/2015 10:04 PM CDT

Ok, played off and on for years, but this is my first time posting. I really wanted to weigh in on this because I really enjoy my barbarian.

On to it! The relevant information:

Circle 23

Inner Fire: 126 09%
Augmentation: 121 79%
Debilitation: 88 15%

Trying to climb the critter ladder into granite gargs at the moment. I'm training all weapons and armors at the moment which is one of the reasons I get smeared, and I'm ok with knowing that it's mainly because of my hinderance.

That being said - I wouldn't be getting smeared if I could keep up python and Tornado. I try to have a light hand when it comes to starting zerks because I know it heavily drains IF. Or I think it does. I'm not at the point where I want to spend a training session on Power.

Anyways, the way it usually happens is I start with only Python. If I get to worn-out or exhausted, I pop Avalanche. If I get down to hurt (or maybe a little lower) I use Famine. I roar Everild's after every kill and Analyze Flame after every kill. When I switch to using ranged weapons, I stop Python and switch to Eagle and usually use Tornado at this point. If I slack at killing them in the slightest bit (switching to a weapon that is a little bit lower than the others), everything starts to fall pretty rapidly. To the point where it's run or die, and I don't even have the IF to start Python back up.

Backtraining weapons is a different story. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I can mow through snowbeasts like cutting the yard. I run Python and Eagle (out of laziness) while zerking Avalanche whenever I want.

But what good is that? I'm training low weapons and getting nowhere in my mission to master the gargs.

I don't want to sprint into a "this guild can buff itself all day talk", but sometimes instead of a barbarian, I feel like a warrior with training wheels. And all of this because I can't keep my buffs on. I realize I could analyze flame all the time and probably keep it up, but is that what we are supposed to do?

Anyways, all that being said, I know it was mentioned that we gain IF in PvP every time we hit someone?
What if we took that into PvE? Perhaps a small gain on hit, and a large gain for a kill?
Maybe then it wouldn't be such a strain to stay in the fight.

My mind is a little scattered and broken, so hopefully this post makes sense.

TLDR: IF gain on hit for PvE? Mmmmmm.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 01:01 AM CDT
>>Kodius, have you had a chance to debug this a bit more? I did place the post in the bugs folder as you asked. Roar area vs a hidden opponent was the issue I have been having. Any chance you can just make this roar automatically default to area? You can't use it on-on-one vs someone if they are hidden via roar slash at NAME. It seems to make better sense as automatically defaulting to the entire area. Just a couple thoughts. Thanks.

Yeah I spent a few evenings and fixed all the bugs with it. From my testing it was working fine, are you still having an issue?

Coding a unique mechanic for one roar would be difficult. The hiding penalty CAN target a single unhidden person, so I can see that as being potentially useful anyways.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 05:50 AM CDT
Awesome. I will test and report back if I find any anomalies. Thanks!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 12:04 PM CDT
>Ok, played off and on for years, but this is my first time posting. I really wanted to weigh in on this because I really enjoy my barbarian.

Serious questions...
Do you want advice? If so I can give you some as can others on the boards.
Do you want a GM to answer if hits will give IF as well as on the killing shot?
Do you want both?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 12:19 PM CDT

@Rhadyn

I'm open to both, actually.

Advice is a good place to start. Especially if it's an issue with IF management.

Let me know what you think or how I can improve.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 02:37 PM CDT
I can consider making hits award some IF. It makes it about 50,000x more complicated though :( For players I kind of abstracted it, because PvP isn't such a 24/7 thing and IF regen can stand to be a bit more powerful in those situations.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 02:43 PM CDT
>Advice is a good place to start. Especially if it's an issue with IF management.

Let's start with staying alive in a new, at level hunting area. I would definitely never recommend wearing all four armors when you move up a rung in the ladder. I myself train all four armors plus shield and always have. What I do is wear light armor + chain in new, at level hunting areas then brigandine + plate while back training. This will keep your hindrance down as well. Use the smallest shield as well for now. Also, what are your stances set at? I'd do 100% evasion remainder parry for melee weapons and 100% evasion remainder shield for missile weapons. You use tornado with missile. That's good unless it's the cause of your IF tanking.

Now for IF management. It really depends on what all forms and meditations you know. Forms wise, you say have Python and Eagle. Do you have Dragon? I ask because what I would do with melee weapons is use Dragon + Python and no berserk (except Famine/Avalanche as needed - but you should make sure you can't just wait out the fatigue/health for now). If you can keep those up during slow times then you know that the Tornado zerk are what's most likely tanking you while using ranged weapons. I would then compare that with how fast you tank when you have Eagle + Tornado up. That too will tell you if the zerk is causing the problem (which from your post I think it is). It sounds like while you are using ranged weapons you have Tornado up all the time and will pop a Famine/Avalanche as needed and, I believe, that is what's tanking you -- two berserks at once. You need a counter ability for Tornado for now sounds like. Contemplation meditation may help with the armor bonus from it.

Anyone else got any advice?

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 03:06 PM CDT

>I can consider making hits award some IF. It makes it about 50,000x more complicated though :( For players I kind of abstracted it, because PvP isn't such a 24/7 thing and IF regen can stand to be a bit more powerful in those situations.

This might help, and in most cases PvE is a constant stream of enemies, but not all critter spawn is identical, and it'd be a shame if every time there was a lull all our abilities crashed. I had a close call earlier today because seordmoar spawn dropped and I went about a minute without seeing one, which caused all my abilities to fall off. Coupled with Forms being unrefreshable (which you addressed in an earlier post) and I think a little QoL smoothing would be helpful.

What if Form and Berserk IF pulses were reduced? There are already restrictions in place on how many a Barbarian can run, so I don't see why making it feasible to run them would be an issue. Only using ANALYZE FLAME, I'm now able to keep up 3 forms and maybe 2 berserks (again, assuming steady stream), which is great, and game changing feeling, but by 'game changing' I mean 'now I'm buffing myself like any other guild'.

I think part of the problem here is that these abilities are standard buffs - Dragon is RW and Bear is HeS, so using them should be as feasible for a Barbarian as using RW and HeS is for a Paladin. Tornado, for example, seems a really useful Berserk that I'll probably never use - I'm not going to rely on a standard defensive buff that drops every ~2m or crashes entirely. Turtle, as a form, is already kind of risky.

I feel like all guild abilities and the ability/ease of their use should grow with the character.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 03:19 PM CDT

Did something change today? My IF readings are all over the place, mostly on the side of 'I haven't had this much IF since Thanksgiving with the family'
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/10/2015 11:00 PM CDT
>>What if Form and Berserk IF pulses were reduced?

They are already in the single digits. It isn't really possible to make them lower without decreasing how often the forms themselves pulse. Which is a bigger project than I have time for.

>> Overall

You know, when I redesigned the Guild I modeled it after the old Guild. The old Guild outright killed you most of the time if you ran out of IF. After you died, you had to wait almost an hour before you IF bar was full again.

In the old Guild you only had DANCE SWAN to begin with. You quickly gained a few others, that bonused 2 things and didn't last terribly long. Or you could Berserk... and get easily overwhelmed due to the inability to retreat! The Guild only really came into its own at Circle 70.

Anyways, where the Guild came from explains much of where it is at today. While it would be nice to make things much better, my hands are tied on this. It is intended that out of combat your effectiveness is reduced.

>> IF

I've not touched anything at all. Been too busy working on shaping.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 03:25 AM CDT
Thought I'd add my experience to this, as it was something I used to be concerned about. I can tell you that our ability to keep many things going at once definitely gets better. At circle 65 I'm currently keeping up 4 forms, 1 berserk, 2 meditations, and roaring each time I kill an enemy, while maintaining enough inner fire on reserve for any emergencies. While hunting I make frequent use of analyze flame, accuracy, and damage.

As for benefits versus magic using guilds?
My berserk is instantly there.
My forms take 2 seconds each, and while they do take a minute to grow into full power, it's still used to your best ability with just those 2 seconds to activate.
Meditations seem to take around 10 seconds each, but then they are there for an okay amount of time (Though still not long enough for my liking. And since I don't want to leave combat to reapply them, I end up finishing my 2nd half of each combat session with no meditation).
Roars apply instantly.

In my opinion, I never liked all the set-up time to buff up completely when I played a warrior mage, so I rather like how quickly I can become combat-ready as a barbarian. As well as the ease of adapting to a change in combat mechanics, ie: form stop python, form swan, when you decide you need a sudden boost in protection from magic.

About my only real concern with barbarian abilities right now is that typing 'form stop all' while no forms are active gives us no message at all, frequently leading me to think I forgot to send the command. Maybe someday we'll get a message similar to what we see when trying to stop a single form that isn't going. =P
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 06:43 AM CDT
>>The old Guild outright killed you most of the time if you ran out of IF. After you died, you had to wait almost an hour before you IF bar was full again. <<

lol it wasn't this bad. I never personally died after collapsing from a berserk. But you would go unconscious for sure for a couple minutes, which really left you exposed. In PvP, that could mean death. This was only after berserks, by the way. It took about 10 minutes to get all your IF back, also--twice your height full IF.

That said, the new system is much better. Kodius has made several tweaks over the years to smooth things out.

*You can stack up to 12 abilities at a time, which is way better than the old system.

*We have 4 new supernatural skills.

*We have 1 new guild-specific skill--Expertise (which, by the sound of things will get a lot of development).

*Overall, our abilities last much longer than they used to. Example: dragon used to last up to 16 minutes. New forms (dragon included) last up to like 89 minutes (I may not have capped max duration yet). New forms are stackable (even with berserks).

*Berserks now last up to 9 minutes and have no penalties. They used to negatively impact some stats like mentals and knock you out when they ended, prone, with a rare chance to kill you. Also, they were not stackable, although they did bonus several skills/stats.

*Meditations are new abilities based off an old idea. They can last up to 39 minutes and only consume IF upon front after about 12 seconds initiating them. After that, they have 0 impact on IF consumption.

*Roars can now be targetted. Admittedly, these took a hit compared to their previous existence, but they were insanely over-powered, so it makes sense. They used to have 0 RT, no diminishing returns, and death's embrace could literally explode a room full of peoples' hearts, killing them. It was glorious.

*Masteries take everything above and elevate them to higher performance.

Our guild's development is not fully released yet. Kodius is involved in nearly every aspect of development, so patience is a virtue. That said, everything about barbarians is much richer than it used to be. He took the rudiments and expanded them greatly.

One last thought: Keep posting your thoughts, findings, concerns, suggestions etc. Kodius does read them and has come up with some really good tweaks/fixes. Also, I think we're at a good point as a guild with working together.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 08:02 AM CDT
I think a big problem was with my routines - now that I'm making use of ANALYZE FLAME, I'm having an easier time keeping abilities up.

>They are already in the single digits. It isn't really possible to make them lower without decreasing how often the forms themselves pulse. Which is a bigger project than I have time for.

I don't have a great enough familiarity with how much IF each pulses for... Would it be possible to make the amount they pulse for taper off over time? I.e., there's a start up cost, and the first minute they pulse at x, then the second minute at .8x, then the third minute at .5x, etc.?

The thing I'm getting at is that forms last around 30m or so, ish, so represent a utility cost fairly similar to MU buffs, i.e., an investment of resource only required every 20-30m. Though, them not being refreshable is also kind of an issue.

>In the old Guild you only had DANCE SWAN to begin with. You quickly gained a few others, that bonused 2 things and didn't last terribly long. Or you could Berserk... and get easily overwhelmed due to the inability to retreat! The Guild only really came into its own at Circle 70.

That said, in the old guild the abilities were POTENT. Gamebreakingly potent. BERSERK STONE made you invulnerable, and I don't think I ever collapsed when it finished. DRAGON DANCE buffed all the things, and you got it at 30th. I agree that the old paradigm was wonky, and it certainly didn't leave much in the way of strategy, and I like the system you created.

>It is intended that out of combat your effectiveness is reduced.

This is fine, but I feel some smoothing is required - lulls in critter spawns do happen, and if A ) forms take a full minute to ramp up, B ) IF requires some build up before multiple forms and berserks can be sustained, that means lulls in critter spawn can cause all your buffs to drop. The spell window helps make this more visible, but this can happen quite quickly, and critters can fully reengage within moments.

The last few days I've been using solely ANALYZE FLAME, and am able to keep up Turtle + Bear + Dragon + Avalanche + Wildfire, and still generate IF to spare. However, if there's no critter spawn for >~3m, all these forms will crash. I got into some trouble when this happened and a moment later critters spawned and immediately started casting at me.

I understand that our 'ability fuel' comes from combat - that's cool and fitting, both mechanically and thematically - maybe the IF tank needs a bit of expanding, or the generation per hit/kill needs a bit of a bump, or the passive regen a bit more oomph? Kodius, you were absolutely correct that ANALYZE FLAME would be a solution to not being able to hold more stuff up in combat, but now I fear to do anything else.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 08:20 AM CDT
>> DRAGON DANCE buffed all the things, and you got it at 30th. <<

Dragon Dance (60th circle): Large boost to magic resistance, large boost to all weapons (melee and ranged), evasion, shield, parry, multi opponent, strength, stamina, agility, reflex, and intimidation.

That was what it used to do and when you got it. You can do the math to see how long it takes to get that now to see how comparable the new setup is.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 08:36 AM CDT

Oops. Huh. I could have sworn I pushed my barb to picking up Dragon Dance before 3.0 hit. My mistake.

>Large boost to magic resistance, large boost to all weapons (melee and ranged), evasion, shield, parry, multi opponent, strength, stamina, agility, reflex, and intimidation.

So, Toad/Turtle, Dragon/Eagle, Piranha, Tornado (also the stamina), Python, Bear, Wildfire, Monkey, and... Cyclone?
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 01:38 PM CDT
>>It took about 10 minutes to get all your IF back, also--twice your height full IF.

That really depended on your stats/circle. As a youngin my logs are showing it took much longer :(

>>BERSERK STONE made you invulnerable, and I don't think I ever collapsed when it finished

cough You still pretty much have 2 ways to do this. One cheap. One not so cheap :P

>>That said, in the old guild the abilities were POTENT

Not really. The Forms leading up to Dragon were not potent. Eagle was a good ranged buff - and that was all. Cobra was a good melee buff. Badger was a good defense buff.

Individual berserks were potent for their individual thing, and could be stacked, but came with all the extra baggage I mentioned above.

Blood was a strong OF buff no doubt. Coupled with stone you had good offense and defense. This was my typical training setup and by circle 40 I had no issues keeping it going with reasonably fast killing. Couldn't maintain it out of combat though!

Cyclone and above were just nasty on the IF drain until 50th.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 02:22 PM CDT
I think the only reason 2.0 buffs seemed potent was due to broken combat mechanics. Also, MR. Now, what old dragon dance buffed is rather attainable and then some for most guilds.

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 02:27 PM CDT
I like the part where the creator of Dragon went so gun-ho with the buffs that it included buffs to things that didn't actually work/exist.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 05:53 PM CDT
>>lol it wasn't this bad. I never personally died after collapsing from a berserk. But you would go unconscious for sure for a couple minutes, which really left you exposed. In PvP, that could mean death. This was only after berserks, by the way. It took about 10 minutes to get all your IF back, also--twice your height full IF.<<

Once you were around 150th, the 10 minutes is accurate. If you used dragon right at 60 you'd use so much IF that it would take an hour to get it all back.

I agree, things are much, much better than they were(except BMR. I want that back!) ;)
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/11/2015 08:02 PM CDT
...but while waiting you could sit around outside of Adan'f and pop boxes, get healed up by the local empaths, test your short bow on stupid HP/Shield barbs like me, trothfang roar bleeders in everyone's heads, and wish people would stop gloating about going into the caves to hunt. Ah, good times, good times. ;-)

Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/12/2015 07:36 AM CDT

>I like the part where the creator of Dragon went so gun-ho with the buffs that it included buffs to things that didn't actually work/exist.

Since we're past 2.0, and this talking point about Dragon is so hilarious, can you tell us what was included that didn't work/exist? Did it also buff Awesomitude?
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/12/2015 09:08 AM CDT
Its been so many years since I saw the original Dragon Dance that I'm having trouble remembering. I think it was either a core combat buff that didn't exist, or it was buffing skills that were undefined/null.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 06/12/2015 02:04 PM CDT
>>buffing skills that were undefined/null.

It was that. Basically, all the skills are indexed by a number and each skill set is blocked out within a range of numbers (Curse you Shield! <-- this is a joke only some Dev GMs will get.)

However, not all numbers in that range are associated with a skill right now (And even less of them are now that we've got Skills 3.0), and Dragon literally tried to boost every skill in that range of numbers.

... In some ways, I expect this story is anti climatic. Alas.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 05/31/2016 01:11 AM CDT
So, I've tried playing a Barbarian up to about Circle 20 (twice now, actually... don't ask). I've also tried a Bard and Warrior Mage, and thought it might be useful for the developers to hear some feedback on how the guild plays at low levels in comparison to other Guilds.

The good:

1. The flavor of the guild is cool. I like that there is one actual Guild that does not subscribe to the use of magic, and is more focused on martial prowess.

2. The leveling requirements. I like that all you need to advance in the Guild is raw combat. You don't need to run silly errands, or train oddball skills. I'm not saying all guilds should be the same way, but this seems to make sense for the Barbarian.

3. The simplicity. Not all classes should be mechanically complicated, and Barbarians certainly are not.

The bad:

1. Abilities feel significantly less potent compared to the Warrior Mage and Bard ones I've encountered, with the exception of Avalanche and Famine berserks which seem on par. For instance, Monkey Form's balance heal pulses infrequently, rarely leaving me at 'nimbly' balanced while training ranged weapons. Surefooting on the other hand gives me permanent 'nimbly' balanced unless I'm stunned, but it recovers very quickly if that happens. Everild's Rage roar which debuffs evasion has a barely noticeable impact even when I use the single target version, whereas Arc Light's effect is extremely noticeable. Demriss' Resolve is even more of an impact, and it's AOE. Granted, both of those spells cannot be used instantly, but their potency magnitude's greater. These are all basic level abilities you can get within the first 10 circles.

2. Both Bards and Warrior Mages have some freebie abilities they get without spending spell slots, such as Scream Havoc (which is easily better than any Roar I could have access to within 30 circles), Aethereal pathways, Summoned weapons or more flavor abilities like familiars, cantrips, and scrolls. I don't think Barbarians have anything except Analyze flame, which only enables you to recover inner fire. Analyze accuracy seems okay, but the opportunity cost of using it and dealing with the random attack sequence to earn it makes it pretty undesirable.

3. At the low levels at least, Barbarians are severely limited in what abilities they can use simultaneously. Here's a comparison of Combat abilities and buffs available for use at the same Circle, simultaneously:

Barbarian at Circle 20 (1 form, 2 berserk options (1 in use at any given time), 2 roars, 1 med): +Armor, +Aug, +Reflex, Balance Heal, Debuff Evasion, Debuff Balance. +Health or Fatigue Regen (strong)

Warrior Mage at Circle 20 (8 spells, 1 cyclic, 1 inherent ability): +Reflex, +Evasion, +Parry, Strong Balance heal, +Weapon dmg, +TM, +Accuracy/Dmg/Prep Speed, +Fatigue regen (weak), TM Barrier, +Attunement, AOE Nerve debuff, Single Target stun. Additional AOE or Single Target damage from Targeted Magic.

Bard at Circle 20 (6 spells, 1 cyclic, 2 inherent abilities): Emergency defense (Scream defiance), Instant Single Target knockdown, +Wisdom, +Mojo, +Bardic Lore, +Attune, +Attune regen, +Accuracy (all), +Agility, Barrier vs. Will attacks, AOE stun and knockdown, Cyclical debuff to agil, str, reflex, and sleeps primary target. Additional Single Target damage from Targeted Magic.

The toolkit differences here are pretty profound at low levels. So much so, that I feel severely penalized playing a Barbarian.

I'm sure this is all stuff that's been said before, but I figured one more opinion couldn't hurt.
Re: Post from a Barb Newbie 05/31/2016 07:26 AM CDT

You're comparing an enormous amount of apples to oranges, but I agree with the gyst of what you're saying.
Prev_page Previous 1