Not making sense 08/10/2014 10:45 AM CDT
Okay here's the lay of the land. I'm a recently returned to game 85th circle barbarian. What I want to know is why I have to get 60+ ranks in Expertise to circle to 86? Wasn't this a grandfathered skill? So, to fulfill my circle 86 reqs, now I need 3 ranks in prim weapon, 6 ranks in second weapon and SIXTY THREE ranks in Expertise and voila, I can circle. Did my "grandfather" die not pay Guido my guild dues?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 11:26 AM CDT

That shouldn't have happened I'd assist in game

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 05:36 PM CDT
How are you determining you need 63 ranks? Could be a bug in the calculator or your math. The grandfathering systems should have automagically brought you up to at-level.

Unless for some reason you were at like level 50, with skills to get to 80, but didn't, or something else odd?

But ya, I'd assist.
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:25 PM CDT
I am not 100% sure how it is set up, but I do know I got grandfathered at 1305 expertise at 185th circle. It is 80 ranks lower than what the primary weapon reqs are at that level. I remember checking it in test before 3.1 was released and thinking it was like old second weapon requirements (780 for 150th) plus 15 ranks per circle 151+. The best I could come up with is as follows for grandfathering:

Circle Ranks Expertise per Circle

1-10 4
11-30 5
31-70 6
71-100 5
101-150 5
151-200 15

For the life of me, I cannot remember how it was set up in 2.0 for the second weapon. This setup does NOT match what elanthipedia says it should be. They are showing 1:1 first weapon:expertise.

Also, perhaps it was a bug and I should have gotten 80 ranks more than I got when I was grandfathered!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:34 PM CDT
I've been at 85 for ten years (don't know whether to cry or smile) since way before the last 2.0 changes. To determine my needed ranks, I have the following ranks...

Highest weapon Large Edged 473 (HE)
Second weapon Small Edged 470 (ME)
Expertise 416

So based on the new requirements I need to get to 476 in all of them. Okay, so I only need 60 ranks in Expertise now but I was listening to a great teacher at the Riverhaven barb gathering last night and have been training some since I posted. However, I can't expect to a ton of ranks while hunting, especially since I'm a plate/shield primary barb and can't hunt at level now due to not being able to survive at level. Damn you RP desires ;-) (P.S. I'm not complaining about that as I can make up the ranks in lighter armor much easier than Expertise since I've always trained all armors since 1996 when I started.)

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:34 PM CDT
Actually, I know for a decent enough fact I am grandfathered just fine due to circle reqs since.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:37 PM CDT
Looks like I wasn't if that is the case. I'll just have to suck it up. I'm a dwarb. What else are we supposed to do? ;-)

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:42 PM CDT
I did a quick check, but if that chart I put there is correct, 455 expertise should get you to circle 85, even though you are circle 85...

Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:44 PM CDT
So do you think I should check with a GM as to why I don't have 455 but 416?

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 08:46 PM CDT
I'd assist for sure!

Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 09:18 PM CDT
Nuttin' they can do. It's SIMULCON for me or bust ;-)

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 09:21 PM CDT
Do the assist. Not that it will always help. I got shorted 10 circles of TM on my 90th circle necro and was told by a GM that everything was as it should have been. Just one of many reasons why I rerolled into a barbarian.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 10:12 PM CDT
I was given 360 ranks of expertise at circle 74 and checked each time i gained a rank to see when I had enough for circle 75. I had enough at 365. You might actually only need 421 for your next circle.
Re: Not making sense 08/10/2014 10:41 PM CDT
>Nuttin' they can do. It's SIMULCON for me or bust ;-)

What happened here (I'll assume) is that you got a GameHost. Most (all?) of the GMs who could investigate this issue are going to be at Simucon.

What you'll want to do is fire off an email to Kodius (he is the guy who rewrote the barb guild and is the current guru for all of it) with all the details. Your level, your skills (all of them) things like that.

He can get you fixed up, and/or tell you if things worked correctly.
Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 12:59 PM CDT
I edited the reqs for Expertise on the epedia page to reflect this: 4 5 5 5 6 15. When I added the expertise column a couple weeks ago I copied the reqs for first weapon but, a couple people have been able to confirm that it's 5 ranks per circle for 31-70 and also for 71-100. If someone is in a position to confirm that it's 6 ranks per at 101-150 they can post here or send me an email at my play.net address. I'll update the chart again if necessary. Assuming 6 ranks is correct for 101 - 150 then 15 ranks should be accurate as well (2.5x the 101 - 150 req.).

This update shows 415 ranks are required for circle 85 and 420 ranks for 86. I think you were grandfathered correctly.
Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 02:02 PM CDT
Sweet! Thanks for confirming. I was a bit concerned and this is quite doable now.

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 06:29 PM CDT
You should have been grandfathered sufficiently for your next circle. I don't know the math and am not familiar with the mechanics, but if you ASSIST we can get it sorted out.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 06:55 PM CDT
I was told you only need 420 ranks of Expertise to circle. So yeah, should be good I think...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 10:51 PM CDT
Yes, grapple is next on my list.

Re: Not making sense 08/11/2014 10:52 PM CDT
<<Yes, grapple is next on my list.>>

Win.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html