Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 12:30 AM CDT
RT's shouldn't be set for specific weapon times. If I can swing a 102 stone greatsword with minimum RT, I shouldn't have the same RT on whirlwind as a gnome with 15 str. Just saying.

Battle Lord Wartug Skullcleaver
Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 11:18 AM CDT
>RT's shouldn't be set for specific weapon times. If I can swing a 102 stone greatsword with minimum RT, I shouldn't have the same RT on whirlwind as a gnome with 15 str. Just saying.
Why not? I'm just curious what your justification for this position is besides "I have higher strength, I want my advantage from it intact."

Strictly speaking, I imagine it would take everyone the same amount of time to whirlwind since there's essentially only one way to do it and the weapon being heavy doesn't hurt centrifugal force.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 02:05 PM CDT
My point is this. If it takes me 1-3 seconds to swing it normally, and it takes someone else 6 seconds to swing their weapon normally, I don't see how we would both swing it in a circular motion with the same ease and time. It takes muscles to swing your body, especially holding something outstretched in your hands. Someone with 15 str and holding a massive 2 handed sword isn't going to be able to build up enough force to get their body in a full circle, much less as quickly as I would be able to.

Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 04:32 PM CDT
Not every skill roundtime has to be based on stats or skills of a character. Everyone loads a bow with the same roundtime, regardless of stats or skill. The benefits you get with high strength on a whirlwind should be factored into the damage side of things.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 06:18 PM CDT
>>My point is this. If it takes me 1-3 seconds to swing it normally, and it takes someone else 6 seconds to swing their weapon normally, I don't see how we would both swing it in a circular motion with the same ease and time. It takes muscles to swing your body, especially holding something outstretched in your hands. Someone with 15 str and holding a massive 2 handed sword isn't going to be able to build up enough force to get their body in a full circle, much less as quickly as I would be able to.<<

I'd argue it's more agility than strength to spin around. If you aren't agile, strength or not, you're going to fall flat on your face. I know you trained strength pretty high but it's not the only thing factored into swing times.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 06:23 PM CDT
<<Not every skill roundtime has to be based on stats or skills of a character.>>

That's not really a great argument against a change, honestly. I could just point out that not every skill roundtime has to be fixed and we're back to square one.

Whirlwind could use some stat or skill-based RT reductions if only because the defensive penalty is so large that having to sit through six seconds of it is suicidal in most cases where the ability is intended to be used (read: surrounded by critters).

That said, I don't think that merely reducing the RT would allow it to break out of its very limited niche.

Veralika: "dunt start Fly ya know all ya need is ask who yer mom "

Veralika says, "'att only dun work challenge and was att att like normal hunts."

Veralika says, "I bbad at this."
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 08:45 PM CDT
>>My point is this. If it takes me 1-3 seconds to swing it normally, and it takes someone else 6 seconds to swing their weapon normally, I don't see how we would both swing it in a circular motion with the same ease and time. It takes muscles to swing your body, especially holding something outstretched in your hands. Someone with 15 str and holding a massive 2 handed sword isn't going to be able to build up enough force to get their body in a full circle, much less as quickly as I would be able to.

One could argue that you can spin more effectively with better coordination (i.e. Agility), recover from the spin with better Reflexes, and last and least of all, have a lower chance of dropping/losing your weapons with greater Strength.

But why bother modeling a system that deep? As it is, Whirlwind almost looks and feels like a placeholder for a much better mechanic on the combat side. Its true purpose honestly seems to be teaching Barbarians escaping.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/25/2010 10:52 PM CDT
If anything I'd rather see Whirlwind lose the defensive penalty from last maneuver. The combination of how it unbalances and the 6 sec RT would be enough to keep anyone from abusing it.

It's too restricting. 6 secs of a penalty from last maneuver makes it almost unusable outside of regular hunting. It's a problem when trying to break out of webs.

Someone/something webs me. I whirlwind (fail to break web). I'm stuck with Whirlwind as my last maneuver despite not breaking free.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 10:49 AM CDT
>6 secs of a penalty from last maneuver makes it almost unusable outside of regular hunting.

Are you expecting it to be an ideal maneuver in PvP against a single opponent?

A defensive penalty makes sense when you consider the fact that you're spinning around while in RT. Hard to parry when your back is turned.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 12:11 PM CDT
>>Are you expecting it to be an ideal maneuver in PvP against a single opponent?

I'm expecting it to be a decent choice when trying to break out of a web (right now it really isn't). I'm also expecting it to be a decent choice when trying to hit a hidden target at melee or pole.

>>A defensive penalty makes sense when you consider the fact that you're spinning around while in RT. Hard to parry when your back is turned.

We really don't want to get into what makes sense, or we could have fun dismantling many abilities/spells in this game.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 12:30 PM CDT
Yeah, like dodging when you have three critters on your back. Doesn't make much sense, but you do it. I don't mind the defensive penalty if you could work the RT down with strength/agility/reflex. Shouldn't be one second, but working it down to three would at least be better.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 12:55 PM CDT
>>Strictly speaking, I imagine it would take everyone the same amount of time to whirlwind since there's essentially only one way to do it and the weapon being heavy doesn't hurt centrifugal force.

This

>>I'd argue it's more agility than strength to spin around. If you aren't agile, strength or not, you're going to fall flat on your face. I know you trained strength pretty high but it's not the only thing factored into swing times.

and This.

If you ever actually swung a heavy two-handed weapon(like lets say a spanish claymore that almost six feet in length). You'd realize that despite how heavy it is, it swings just as quickly as a lighter weapon. Problem isn't how fast it swings, its stopping the swing. They also tend to pull you into their swings, which means they would do a move like whirlwind easier.

This is actually a bad thing when fighting as you never "full swing". You don't swing a sword like a baseball bat, doing so breaks your guard and upsets your balance. Greater strength wouldn't make you move quicker but it would make you recover your balance from such a move faster.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 05:31 PM CDT
>I'm expecting it to be a decent choice when trying to break out of a web (right now it really isn't).

Webbing is already the worst disabler in the game due to how many things can negate it. This has led to an arms race in webbing/anti-webbing. This is a silly situation and shouldn't be continued, IMO.

>If you ever actually swung a heavy two-handed weapon(like lets say a spanish claymore that almost six feet in length). You'd realize that despite how heavy it is, it swings just as quickly as a lighter weapon.

Uh, it takes a lot more force/strength/energy to swing something heavier. I don't know what pseudo-physics you're using to dispute this.

>describe boar
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 05:58 PM CDT
>Uh, it takes a lot more force/strength/energy to swing something heavier. I don't know what pseudo-physics you're using to dispute this.

It's not exactly that simple. When you consider that the energy can be applied in different ways, a lot at once or a little bit over time (leverage), or something in between. There's also differences in how the weapon is balanced and weighted.

Since most heavier weapons tend to rely on leverage more and difference balance points, this is not necessarily so simple in practice.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 07:20 PM CDT
>It's not exactly that simple. When you consider that the energy can be applied in different ways, a lot at once or a little bit over time (leverage), or something in between. There's also differences in how the weapon is balanced and weighted.

If you're applying a little bit of force over time, that slow "wind-up" would be part of the RT.

>Since most heavier weapons tend to rely on leverage more and difference balance points, this is not necessarily so simple in practice.

I'm not saying that it is simple. Of course balance matters as well. But assuming everything else is equal, you're going to bring a lighter object up to the desired rotational speed faster than a heavy object. Think composite/aluminum bat versus a wooden one.

>describe boar
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 07:48 PM CDT
>If you're applying a little bit of force over time, that slow "wind-up" would be part of the RT.

Agreed, up to a point. The other advantage leverage has is that it also has a higher maximum speed, which is a variable that could actually reduce the total RT. This is the problem with trying to be too realistic. Forget it.

It's probably going to be more sucessful to argue whether it's fair or not and forget the physics.

Wait, did I just write that?

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 09:12 PM CDT
In one amusing case I remember dodging a series of BURN casts while unconscious. I don't think we need to worry too much about our back being turned when discussing defensive penalties.

Veralika: "dunt start Fly ya know all ya need is ask who yer mom "

Veralika says, "'att only dun work challenge and was att att like normal hunts."

Veralika says, "I bbad at this."
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/26/2010 09:19 PM CDT
Agreed for a round time decrease based on str/agil/refl. Could be something like crossbow rt decreases, with set ranks and stat requirements.

Gor'Tog Barbarian

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/27/2010 03:08 AM CDT
>Agreed, up to a point. The other advantage leverage has is that it also has a higher maximum speed, which is a variable that could actually reduce the total RT.

Uh, what?

So just to be clear, whirlwind must have static RT because we can't model the physics well enough for your liking?

>describe boar
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/27/2010 07:13 AM CDT
>>If you ever actually swung....

Once this conversation started stepping into reality it became a pointless discussion concerning barbarians text attack whirlwind.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/27/2010 11:13 AM CDT
>It's not exactly that simple. When you consider that the energy can be applied in different ways, a lot at once or a little bit over time (leverage), or something in between. There's also differences in how the weapon is balanced and weighted.

I think the reasonable rule of thumb remains "heavier weapons take longer to swing relative to the strength of the user than lighter weapons." Getting into the nitty-gritty of combat and the value of choking up, using an open-handed stance or leveraging the balance of a weapon (you mentioned weight, but you probably really meant weight distribution and, ipso facto, balance) simply isn't worth trying to model.

>Since most heavier weapons tend to rely on leverage more and difference balance points, this is not necessarily so simple in practice.

It...depends. I really don't think we should venture any further down that road, since DR already somewhat abstractly maps it with the multitude of weapon skills.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/27/2010 06:58 PM CDT
>So just to be clear, whirlwind must have static RT because we can't model the physics well enough for your liking?

Not really. More that without being able to see the exact biomechanical actions that go into a whirlwind attack, physics can be used to support either arguement. So it's probably time (long past time?) to ignore them and argue based on what's "good for the game."

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/27/2010 08:22 PM CDT
>More that without being able to see the exact biomechanical actions that go into a whirlwind attack, physics can be used to support either arguement.

Not really. Heavier object are still harder to swing, in general.

>describe boar
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/29/2010 08:23 PM CDT
>So it's probably time (long past time?) to ignore them and argue based on what's "good for the game."

This.

It's much more productive to discuss game mechanics without proving who's the better computer chair swordsman or armchair physicist.

Whirlwind is fine as it is. Reducing the roundtime to 3 seconds effectively increases your damage output by two against every possible target. This makes Barbarians able to AoE often and easily with vastly higher damage capacity than they currently have. I understand AoE is not the intent of the guild. It's a very specialized maneuver, which is fine. A more useful discussion is "What other niche can we have a maneuver for" than "change whirlwind from the clear-out niche to the AoE niche."
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 12:12 AM CDT
<< increases your damage output by two against every possible target.>>

Crap damage multiplied by two is still crap damage.

Removing the defensive penalty (but leaving the balance penalty and RT) would make it worthwhile.

This isn't HuggleFurSnuggleKissySmoochRealms.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 06:59 AM CDT
>>"change whirlwind from the clear-out niche to the AoE niche."

?? what

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 07:24 AM CDT
>>Crap damage multiplied by two is still crap damage.

I know several Barbarians who swear by Whirlwind as a way to lock weapons fast. How is it crap?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 07:45 AM CDT
<<I know several Barbarians who swear by Whirlwind as a way to lock weapons fast. How is it crap?>>

The damage is crap compared to a regular attack, the exp gain is not. Don't confuse the two.

Think of it this way, with four critters at melee I can spend 5-6 seconds on 2 regular attacks, or whirlwind for 4-8 attacks. Even if all those attacks are deflected, it's still going to bring in more experience.

Just think of it as a poor man's CL.

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 09:28 AM CDT
I'd love a crappy attack like that.

>describe boar
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 09:31 AM CDT
>>I'd love a crappy attack like that.

I'll trade it to you for the ability to moongate.

-GM Abasha
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 09:41 AM CDT
Ahem.

Back on topic, people.

Thank you!

Svafa

___
Any questions or comments, please contact me at Mod-Svafa@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 10:41 AM CDT
>>I'd love a crappy attack like that.

Oh Copernicus, you're forgetting the primary rule:

If it isn't overpowered, it's crap.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 12:05 PM CDT
Man, no one actually reads anymore.

I stand by my assertion that whirlwind's damage potential per hit is lower than that of a normal attack, and that an RT reduction would not somehow turn Barbarians into an AoE powerhouse.

It's a niche ability that could be made somewhat useful in PvP (and more useful in PvE) with the change I mentioned.

If you read that as 'this ability sux cuz it's not op' then I don't know what to say to you.

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 03:14 PM CDT
Vashir I agree with the, this ability doesn't suck, but this change won't make it OP, it just would be a useful weapon in the arsenal of weapons that barbarians SHOULD have.

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 04:48 PM CDT
>>If you read that as 'this ability sux cuz it's not op' then I don't know what to say to you.

I wasn't responding to you, your argument sounds pretty reasonable to me. You just want an RT reduction.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 04:54 PM CDT
<<You just want an RT reduction.>>

Re: Whirlwind roundtime 04/30/2010 04:54 PM CDT
>>>>I wasn't responding to you, your argument sounds pretty reasonable to me. You just want an RT reduction.

To me?

Explain to me how eliminating just one of the two penalties to Whirlwind would make it OP. Also, not once did I say it was a bad ability.

-GM Abasha
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 05/03/2010 12:08 AM CDT
>I stand by my assertion that whirlwind's damage potential per hit is lower than that of a normal attack, and that an RT reduction would not somehow turn Barbarians into an AoE powerhouse.

I'd argue against the first part, and I agree with the second part. I don't think ME or LE whirling needs a roundtime reduction, though.
Re: Whirlwind roundtime 05/03/2010 12:37 AM CDT
I think everyone should agree with Rmel. Or else.

- Legendary Paladin Korsik Rippentropp, Vindicator of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."