Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 03/07/2010 08:19 PM CST
Hit 65th today and 350 in brawling. Was excited and decided to try out a tog plate-fisted whirlwind of death!

>put swo in hav
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, exposing the thickest portion of its skull, and charges at you. You block with a darkened battle buckler with heavy chains crisscrossing an ogre skull boss.
[You're invigorated, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You block with a darkened battle buckler with heavy chains crisscrossing an ogre skull boss.
[You're invigorated, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>
You put your sword in your soldier's haversack.
>whir
With your fist? That might hurt.
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You block with a darkened battle buckler with heavy chains crisscrossing an ogre skull boss.
[You're invigorated, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>whirlwind
Your rage burns harshly, quickening your step and reactions.
>
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You block with a darkened battle buckler with heavy chains crisscrossing an ogre skull boss.
[You're invigorated, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced and in better position.]
>
With your fist? That might hurt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I can't togfist something's face? :(

Whirlwind Wartug Skullcleaver, War Cyclone of M'riss
Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 03/07/2010 08:35 PM CST
I think if you have enough offhand and brawling, you should be able to pull off a Zangief style whirlwind.
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 03/08/2010 03:46 PM CST
I agree I would need off hand up to par to do a Zangief attack, but if I can't even do a one handed attack as though I was holding a medium edged weapon or other one hander with enough skill, it should be fixed. I qualify to use one handed brawling attack as a whirlwind attack and can't do so unless it's with both hands? :( Por Favor, fix please.

Whirlwind Wartug Skullcleaver
War Cyclone of M'riss
Gor'Tog Barbarian

"You live and die by the only thing you can control: your choices. Choose wisely."
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 03/08/2010 04:07 PM CST
Brawling does not take offhand skill into account, nor does it work for whirlwind (regardless of offhand skill). I don't remember why, but since brawling is the easiest weapon skill to train and whirlwind is only really useful as a tool to speed up training it's really not much of a problem.

"NO."
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 03/11/2010 03:16 PM CST
<<I don't remember why>>

Because it wasn't intended to whirlwind with your fists originally. It would be nice to have the option if you meet the requirements since the motions of using the whirlwind maneuver are the same whether you use a blunt, blade, fists, short staff, quarter staff, halberd, pike weapon.

- Simon
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/06/2010 05:06 PM CDT
>Hit 65th today and 350 in brawling. Was excited and decided to try out a tog plate-fisted whirlwind of death!

Are you stating your primary and highest weapon is brawling?
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/06/2010 08:13 PM CDT
With 450 in brawling and 405 in 2HE, I kill faster with my fists than I do with my 99 stone greatsword swung at minimum rt and has bone-crushing slice and heavy impact. Brawling is incredibly powerful with high strength and decent agility. On par, if not better, than most weapons.

Battle Lord Wartug Skullcleaver
Gor'Tog Barbarian

Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/06/2010 10:58 PM CDT
>>Brawling is incredibly powerful with high strength and decent agility. On par, if not better, than most weapons.

Brawling is more powerful than any other melee weapon in my experience. It's like it has some odd bonus that allows you to hit things easier.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/06/2010 11:01 PM CDT
>Brawling is more powerful than any other melee weapon in my experience. It's like it has some odd bonus that allows you to hit things easier.

Natural weapon bonus? I find Brawling tears through things about equivalently to Medium Edged, which is in the same neighborhood, ranks wise.

It's also by far the easiest weapon skill to work.
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/07/2010 12:07 AM CDT
>Brawling is more powerful than any other melee weapon in my experience. It's like it has some odd bonus that allows you to hit things easier.

My understanding is that the "stats" of your fists depend on your actual stats, kind of like a mirror weapon. But maybe I just imagined that. It would make sense though.

Brawling is my second highest weapon, after LT, and I can kill elders with ease at 744 brawling.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/07/2010 12:40 AM CDT
>My understanding is that the "stats" of your fists depend on your actual stats, kind of like a mirror weapon.

This is correct.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/07/2010 06:43 AM CDT
I also heard, that brawling normally is easier to hit things with because of a balance factor.....can't remember why or what exactly

Does the greatsword have good balance?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/08/2010 06:26 AM CDT
I stand corrected in thinking it more than just a tdp builder. In that case, when it comes to enhancing brawling, I know there is knee spikes, elbow spikes etc, whats the best for hands and does HP say work better than leather? If so, is it really worth the multi-armor hinderance in the later levels?
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/08/2010 09:43 AM CDT
>>Does HP work better than leather?

Yes. Heavier the armor, harder the punch. Having said that, nothing beats brawling gear.

>>Is it really worth the multi-armor hindrance in later levels?

Like I said, brawling gear damage bonus beats armor bonus in my experience: the only thing that beats them all is Prydaen CLAW and Rakash BITE when in moonskin. You can where brawling gear regardless of armor type, so don't choose your armor based on its brawling bonus.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/08/2010 09:24 PM CDT
>nothing beats brawling gear

I don't think that's the case.
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/09/2010 03:22 AM CDT
>>I don't think that's the case.

Please elaborate? Comments like this are not particularly constructive.

I know two things which beat the brawling gear bonus, both of which were mentioned. Plate seemed comparable but weaker.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/09/2010 12:11 PM CDT
I've never seen any conclusive evidence either way. Also, it may depend on which brawling gear you use vs which opponent. I have no real desire to test it myself since with the new exp model my problem is doing too much damage when I brawl, which nerfs my experience.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/09/2010 01:37 PM CDT
>>Also, it may depend on which brawling gear you use vs which opponent. I have no real desire to test it myself since with the new exp model my problem is doing too much damage when I brawl, which nerfs my experience.

This. Some gear is made for slicing, but others deal some pretty brutal impact damage. Also, I got to compare some fest brawling gear to some from the trader's shop. The shop stuff is superior, though the fest gear has some very interesting looks.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Whirlwind!!!! wait...no..guess I can't. 05/09/2010 08:58 PM CDT
>Please elaborate? Comments like this are not particularly constructive.

Sorry, pretty much what the previous two comments were. Different appraisals have different results, I don't think a blanket statement like that can be accurate when the items to which you're referring vary.