Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 11:38 AM CST
...why we need 4 Parry ranks per circle? Why can't we choose either Shield or Parry? I know, Shield is classified as an armor skill and Parry is classified as a weapon skill, but Parry is terrible for defense and Shield is god. I don't even know where to train Parry at around 140 ranks, because anything that teaches it either A)swarms too badly and gets around the parry or B)doesn't use a weapon and therefore is much harder to parry effectively.

For example, in bloodvines I can dance 3 bloodvines with my shield without being touched. I switch to parry stance, with a forged, 31 stone Drevid scim, I get hammered by two. Shield/parry are within one rank of each other.

It would be really nice if we could choose which to train (Shield/Parry) for our circle requirement... Hell even a lower Parry requirement and a total overall (2 Parry per circle always, and either 2 more Parry or 2 Shield) would be great.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 12:08 PM CST
Your Parry requirement is likely so high because you are a Weapon Primary guild.

Many other people have experienced what you describe when moving into a parry stance, but no GM has spoken up about it yet. It's apparently working as intended.

My only suggestion is to train reflex and agility to help with your parry score.

GENT
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 01:06 PM CST
Here's a grand idea! Just train parry and shield.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 01:11 PM CST
I do that already, which is why I said they're within one rank of each other. It's just getting old because the only time I ever use Parry is when I'm training it to circle. Other than that, it's useless.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 01:24 PM CST
As discussed in an earlier folder: Parry is the least penalized defense in MO situations.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 01:58 PM CST
>>It's just getting old because the only time I ever use Parry is when I'm training it to circle. Other than that, it's useless.

I don't think that's reason enough to actually change our requirements, which is what I got from your original post. The parry requirement helps maintain our core design. Changing it to shield would make us too similar to Paladins. Parry definitely needs work, though. I think it (or Barbarians in general) should have unique defensive techniques when fighting melee.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 02:20 PM CST
Maybe some sort of "offensive parry", that either had a chance to break enemy weapons or case limb damage if they're natural critters (Or attacking unarmed etc).

Not a major source of damage, but enough to give it a little zip.

-- The Omen Speaker

Caelumia whispers to Amelilu, "OOC: that would be awesome. I'd get cael a sorcery brand on her butt or something."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: HAHA."
Amelilu whispers to Caelumia, "OOC: PROPERTY OF EALUIK."
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 02:38 PM CST
>>I don't think that's reason enough to actually change our requirements, which is what I got from your original post. The parry requirement helps maintain our core design. Changing it to shield would make us too similar to Paladins. Parry definitely needs work, though. I think it (or Barbarians in general) should have unique defensive techniques when fighting melee.

I wouldn't care if parry was FIXED, then I wouldn't complain about it. But it's just a pain to train right now and I was just, well... complaining about it. I agree with the shield comment. If I wanted to be a Paladin I would have chosen that guild. Oh well. /rant
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 02:48 PM CST
I think the problem is related to the critter ladder you are following and possibly your weapon choices (you only mentioned one melee weapon). For the most part I rarely bother to dance with critters and even training only a couple melee skills my character has never had a problem with learning parry.

BTW, at your level, I had Ludi bouncing between Leucs (for parry, brawling, and ME) and vipers (shield, short bow, lx, and HT).

Showing Weapon skills at or above rank 130.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Parry Ability: 215 22% clear Multi Opponent: 189 02% clear
Medium Edged: 209 09% clear Short Bow: 210 40% clear
Light Crossbow: 210 64% clear Heavy Thrown: 180 58% clear
Brawling: 139 45% clear

Every critter has advantages and dissadvantages for training. You seem to be picking critters that don't help you much for learning parry.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 03:55 PM CST
Somebody mentioned it before... train Reflex. I've never had any issues training shield and parry evenly with a barb, warmage, and paladin, all to over 550 ranks, but I've always trained reflex as one of my primary stats. Yes, compared to shield, parry sucks, but it's really not that hard to train. Eventually you will more than likely have all other skills well above your current circle except primary weapon and parry, so you will ALWAYS be forced to train parry to advance.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 04:16 PM CST
>>Eventually you will more than likely have all other skills well above your current circle except primary weapon and parry, so you will ALWAYS be forced to train parry to advance.

Yep, though I'm the opposite. Parry is my third highest skill behind Perception and LT.

There's even been a few times when survivals were the only skills holding me back from circling multiple times. Weird, I know... it just depends on the mood I'm in. Whenever I'm lazy my survivals + perception shoots up. Whenever I feel like training endlessly it's the combats.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 10:23 PM CST
One simple thing to bear in mind. There was a time in the game when shields were concidered the horrible defense no one but paladins were dumb enough to train. We are aware of the current issues with parry and will address it when we can. I wouldn't suggest pushing for a change of reqs, personally.

GM Oolan Jeel

Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/11/2008 10:43 PM CST
>I don't even know where to train Parry at around 140 ranks, because anything that teaches it either A)swarms too badly and gets around the parry or B)doesn't use a weapon and therefore is much harder to parry effectively.

Try small peccs in lang. Parrying non weapon using critters shouldnt be a problem and be certain to use a fairly balanced weapon or better.

Magic is not a crutch. Its just something Mages need to get through life.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 08:45 AM CST
>>Eventually you will more than likely have all other skills well above your current circle except primary weapon and parry, so you will ALWAYS be forced to train parry to advance.

>Yep, though I'm the opposite. Parry is my third highest skill behind Perception and LT.

I push parry as much as I can whenever I can in combat - it's still my 7th highest skill. I think that's just a result of using crossbow as my primary weapon; I'm in shield stance approximately 70% of the time I'm in combat.

I've never had anything but primary weapon hold me back from circling.

Circle: 56

You have enough Light Crossbow (Primary Weapon) for circle 56 and need 5 (XXX) ranks for circle 57.
You have enough Medium Edged (Secondary Weapon) for circle 69 and need 3 (XXX) ranks for circle 70.
You have enough Parry Ability for circle 75 and need 2 (XXX) ranks for circle 76.

You have enough First Aid (6th Survival) for circle 83 and need 2 (XXX) ranks for circle 84.
You have enough Skinning (5th Survival) for circle 112 and need 1 (XXX) rank for circle 113.

You have enough Shield Usage (Primary Armor) for circle 78 and need 2 (XXX) ranks for circle 79.
You have enough Leather Armor (Secondary Armor) for circle 146 and need 4 (XXX) ranks for circle 147.

You have enough Mechanical Lore for circle 150.
You have enough Scholarship for circle 150.
You have enough Vocals (Secondary Lore) for circle 150.
You have enough Appraisal (Primary Lore) for circle 150.

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 08:56 AM CST
I suppose it really depends on how you train your character and what your focus is. A circle chasing character will eventually run into road blocks with primary weapon and parry reqs.

I'm training a commoner right now that will be joining the barbarian guild tonight or tomorrow that has all lores and survivals out of the way for 150th circle. Basically two skills to 350+ (foraging and perception) and 3 skills to 230+ (FA, climbing, and swimming) which leaves nothing but combat from 0-150 where the survivals will be evasion, skinning, hiding, and stalking. I'm at 229 in climbing as of this posting, so when that ranks, I'll join the guild and do nothing but combat forever... well, i'll work some other stuff in there, but you get the idea.

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 09:31 AM CST
>>I'm training a commoner right now that will be joining the barbarian guild tonight or tomorrow that has all lores and survivals out of the way for 150th circle.

Nothing to really add to the thread, but I'm curious about what made you decide to keep the character a commoner until you met those goals? I ask because it seems unnecessary to me, considering barbs are survival secondary anyway, and our lore requirements are so low that they're not a throttle to advancement in the first place (5 scholarship, 105 in one lore and 165 in another lore by 150, unless my math is off this morning). Just seems like you would've achieved these goals faster by advancing along the way and availing yourself of the TDPs for mentals. Was this just a personal challenge you set for yourself or was the character originally supposed to be in training to be a Necro? Also, I'm assuming this is in TF?

I'm not bashing at all, just wondering if there was some purpose to doing it that way that I'm not seeing.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 11:39 AM CST
Reqs won't be changing. The only change I can see happening at all is the possibility of allowing stealing as one of the survival reqs.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 02:12 PM CST
>>The only change I can see happening at all is the possibility of allowing stealing as one of the survival reqs.

Wait... what?

We can already use stealing as one of our survival reqs. Please tell me you (collective you) aren't thinking of removing that from us. You wouldn't want to make Idon sad, now would you? :P

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 05:38 PM CST
>>I'm curious about what made you decide to keep the character a commoner until you met those goals?<<

Several reasons, and a lot of them have to do with a personal experiment or goals if you will.

Yes, this character was started July 4th, 2008 as a gnome commoner. I've played a 150th rakash barbarian (that I did not train) and a 100th kaldar barbarian that was all mine.

Looking at the racial bonuses/penalties, I thought gnome offered a really good choice for barbarian (not planning to be a weapon forger), but only at higher levels once the strength/stamina has been overcome, so tdp's would be critical in the early going.

Scholarship: 370 04% pondering
Mechanical Lore: 336 92% mind lock
Appraisal: 203 50% pondering
Teaching: 285 67% thoughtful
Vocals: 458 03% dazed

I wanted vocals over 200 ranks, and mech lore over 300 ranks before joining so I would have a huge head start on a tertiary skill.

Evasion: 110 80% clear
Climbing: 231 08% dazed
Perception: 365 16% concentrating
Hiding: 114 38% clear
Lockpicking: 187 16% perplexing
Disarm Traps: 170 18% dazed
Stalking: 110 63% clear
Stealing: 113 56% clear
First Aid: 276 83% clear
Foraging: 360 48% learning
Escaping: 113 95% clear
Skinning: 121 70% clear
Swimming: 230 80% clear

I also started a moonie on the same day to serve as a teacher and eventual moongater. The idea was... as long as I was going to train lores to much higher ranks than the first 100 or so, why not train survivals as well. This evolved into training the 5, 6, 7, and 8th survivals to 150th reqs, leaving Evasion, Skinning, Hiding, and Stalking as the top 4 which would be trained in combat. In this way, once I started combat, I would never need to leave combat... from 0 all the way to 150th.

As a side note, I wanted to do some testing on when characters gain 100 tdp's per circle, so I've been hoarding tdp's, and my plan is to keep my stat average below my current circle so as to gain 100 tdp's per circle as soon as possible, and only train the 8 cheapest stats per circle until the excess tdp's are all gone. Again, this is in large part because I chose to be a gnome. I did train strength and stamina to 12 and discipline to 11 for climbing/swimming purposes, but other than that, I've retained all tdp's, bringing my stat total/average to 95/11.875 so I hope to get 100 tdp's per circle at 12th circle.

Strength : 12 Reflex : 14
Agility : 12 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 14 Stamina : 12

Favors: 5
Concentration: 66 Max: 66
TDPs: 3038

I'm not convinced that I can train a gnome without spending the tdp's first, but I'm going to give it a try, because I think the end result will be worth it, and in the long run, by never leaving combat, I hope to be highly efficient getting to 150th circle. I took my kaldar barb from 0 to 100th in 11 months, I'd like to see what I can do with a gnome.

Ya, I know, this is probably the most ridiculous thing you or anyone else has ever heard, but I'm doing it to satisfy my curiosity, and I'm doing it because I think it will present a tremendous challenge.

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 06:06 PM CST
>>Ya, I know, this is probably the most ridiculous thing you or anyone else has ever heard, but I'm doing it to satisfy my curiosity, and I'm doing it because I think it will present a tremendous challenge.

Actually I think it's a pretty cool experiment, and quite a bit could stand to be learned from it. Let us know if you run into anything interesting along the way (such as with the TDPs/Circle, or simply the impact on the effectiveness of such limited stats on certain skills at higher ranks, etc.). This kind of stuff is why I feel that TF and its players are, by in large, a huge boon to the DR community in general.

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 07:01 PM CST
I'll be posting my results on the tdp's per circle thing, as well as any other observations I think worthwhile. I think normally characters start gaining 100 tdp's per circle around 17th circle if they're spending their tdp's along the way. With the amount of tdp's I've amassed, I'd be interested to see when I run out. I'm thinking almost 30th circle.

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 10:09 PM CST
Perhaps in my fatigue I got confused. I'm running on fumes today. No, no plans to take away the ability to use stealing to circle. What I meant was that if (as I was thinking for whatever reason) you couldn't use stealing now, you should be able to. Barbarians ain't paladins. We're better than that {G}

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/12/2008 10:27 PM CST
>>What I meant was that if (as I was thinking for whatever reason) you couldn't use stealing now, you should be able to. Barbarians ain't paladins. We're better than that {G}

You ain't just whistling dixie! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/14/2008 05:41 PM CST
>>Perhaps in my fatigue I got confused. I'm running on fumes today. No, no plans to take away the ability to use stealing to circle. What I meant was that if (as I was thinking for whatever reason) you couldn't use stealing now, you should be able to. Barbarians ain't paladins. We're better than that {G}

There was a time it wasn't useable, maybe you were thinking back to those times.

Brabs
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/14/2008 09:39 PM CST
I was. Nostalgia and Nyquil don't mix well.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/15/2008 12:57 AM CST
<< DGUTHRIE2's post....

Wow thats inspiring. Wish i had the personal discipline and patience to do something like that. I once tried to train a commoner in combat to become a moon mage and gave up at aroun 40-50 ranks in combats :D

About parry... It all depends on how you choose to train. Even if you train ranged weapons, its easy to just let creatures hit you for a bit.
It's my barbarian's highest skill and also the one i like the least. I train it regardless of requirements and usefulness. Just train it in case it changes one day. It's currently 26 circles higher than his current circle.

Its about 10 ranks above shield and shield is more effective. This is why i dont parry while i'm training weapons (attack maneuvers impose defensive penalties). To train parry, i let creatures attack for 3 minutes or until parry locks. Stance is parry 100 and evasion 100 and bob/bob over and over to train brawling.

On the other hand... survivals keep slowing me down! Need 1 rank in 2 different survivals for next circle :(
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/15/2008 01:43 AM CST
While standing around twiddling your thumbs to train parry at low levels might work it would be considered suicide after a point on the critter ladder. If you'd like to test this theory out might I suggest standing knee deep in Celpz, Malachata or worse.

Denz
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/15/2008 03:54 AM CST
>>While standing around twiddling your thumbs to train parry at low levels might work it would be considered suicide after a point on the critter ladder. If you'd like to test this theory out might I suggest standing knee deep in Celpz, Malachata or worse.

I would have no problem doing exactly that. In fact, when I train parry now, I stand around in adult armadillos with a pike or halberd.

-Gavyn
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/16/2008 08:41 AM CST
<<While standing around twiddling your thumbs to train parry at low levels might work it would be considered suicide after a point on the critter ladder. If you'd like to test this theory out might I suggest standing knee deep in Celpz, Malachata or worse.

I would suggest using parry is the best way to train in Celps. Many a new weapon was/is learned that way.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/16/2008 11:29 AM CST
<<While standing around twiddling your thumbs to train parry at low levels might work it would be considered suicide after a point on the critter ladder. If you'd like to test this theory out might I suggest standing knee deep in Celpz, Malachata or worse.>>

It works fine in Malchata and Armadillos.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/16/2008 09:44 PM CST
>I was. Nostalgia and Nyquil don't mix well.

Are you kidding? I had some of my fondest blackouts with Nyquil...

Magic is not a crutch. Its just something Mages need to get through life.
Re: Can someone tell me.... 11/17/2008 05:40 AM CST
lol

:oP Ragran
Idon Raider

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"

www.idonraiders.com