Events? 10/21/2008 02:24 PM CDT
Having watched someone recently poke around at the moon mage guild, I have to admit, I'm somewhat bummed at the sheer amount of interaction they've had with events.

Mirror Wraith, Throne City, Meteors, etc, etc, etc. I'm trying to come up with a single large Barbarian-focused event and I'm coming up blank with the weak exception of that thing with T'kiel and her sister.

I guess I'm just kinda bummed.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 02:46 PM CDT
Buck up, cowboy, because I'm pretty sure I've seen Aurdun post about guild-related events being on his list of things to get to work on in the upcoming post Thing and Other Thing world.

Part of it is also related to the guild's lack of lore/history/backstory stuff. Moonies can get a lot of nifty stuff going because they've got a ton of hooks in the guild history to set it up. Fortunately Barb guild lore is another avenue Aurdun seems pretty eager to pursue.

I know you know all this stuff already, most likely, but I just wanted to toss it out there, since I have the same concerns, and it's what keeps me going.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 03:41 PM CDT
Just make your own event. I started one by destroying the ballista outside Theren, now there are a few people who spat off at me whenever they see me.
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 04:35 PM CDT
Not exactly the type of event I'm looking for. A mob hunt for me is easy, but over quickly and has nothing to do with the history or anything else of this guild.

Dare you to go spit on Aurica.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 05:45 PM CDT
On the events side of things, I'd like to personally apologize to all of you. They are in fact one of my key goals for the guild and I really want to do stuff that is as cool, if not cooler, than what you listed Caraamon. The problem I have run into is the time factor. I've had almost no span of time where I'm not busy. Right now, my ability to run an event for 3 hours at a time is not there. I'm hoping this changes as we get closer to the end of the year but I've failed that goal up to this point, in my mind.

I promise to continue to try and improve on this and bring you guys exciting story lines to partake in.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 06:03 PM CDT
I can only really speak for myself, of course, but I think we all understand that just like the rest of us, you've got a life, too. Honestly I'd rather wait for GM driven guild events and have them be good ones with a lot of follow-through than wind up with spotty or incomplete ones, etc. I have faith you'll do right by us.

That said, my personal hope/biased desire is that some of the guild history/lore that you've mentioned looking into/writing might see the light of day on the player side sooner than later. It's that kind of stuff that's really the springboard to adventure and can often times help players entertain ourselves with our own plots and whatnot while the GMs are busy or unable to do much on the event side of things.

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 06:08 PM CDT
I think I had more fun just hanging out with Mo than many of the structured events I've seen. Just saying.
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 06:15 PM CDT
There have been hints dropped about some of the lore by various folks, Agonar being one of them. I've got a good deal of it written but I just don't see books as the #1 way to do give out the information, so I've got to do some thinking about how that could be done.

That said, once I finish naming some historic people, I can get to the part series of books I want to get out.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 06:22 PM CDT
>>Drex's post

Yeah, Mo's awesome. I was bummed when I noticed him 'log in' just as I had to attend other business.

>>Aurdun's response

Cool.

If anybody reads this that was privy to some of the hints that got dropped, would you mind filling me/us in on what you heard?

Thanks.

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 07:42 PM CDT
>I can only really speak for myself, of course, but I think we all understand that just like the rest of us, you've got a life, too.

I don't understand, what's this 'life' you speak of?
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 07:46 PM CDT
>>I don't understand, what's this 'life' you speak of?

It's this quasi-mythical thing I hear people talk about and that I like to pretend I have while I spend all day watching paint dry and posting to message boards. :\

- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 09:07 PM CDT
>>I've got a good deal of it written but I just don't see books as the #1 way to do give out the information, so I've got to do some thinking about how that could be done.

Vision quests/meditations? Maybe track down a nomad who will tell you stories a la the Muspar'i storyteller. Areas like the dragon dance area with the special weapons would be cool, and the belts based off of these stories that The True Path sold were doubly cool (well real doubly cool would be actually wielding one of them, but you get my point). Maybe more items that tell a story.

~Thilan
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 09:16 PM CDT
<<Maybe more items that tell a story.

I like Thilan's idea here a lot. My own spin on it:
For example: A rusted sword embedded in a rock wall. You take on some quest from various guild leaders/npcs that involved getting materials and preparing them properly. (I see poisonous hallucinogens working here). Then you reach the sword, use the hallucinogens, and end up "living" part of the story. Maybe even being able to participate somewhat. Think being transformed into an epic level barbarian fighting 1000 foes with a legendary inner fire weapon for the course of the story.

Other things that would work to induce visions in a way I see as 'barbaric' in order to tell a story would be freezing cold and exposure in the mountains, the heat of a desert or lava vent, noxious gasses from inside a volcano, etc.

- Player of Foresee
Re: Events? 10/21/2008 10:09 PM CDT
>>Maybe even being able to participate somewhat. Think being transformed into an epic level barbarian fighting 1000 foes with a legendary inner fire weapon for the course of the story.

Cool idea. I've always wanted to wield the Croc's Jawbone... even if it was only in a hallucinatory haze, it'd still be spiffy.

- John Popper, Onslaught