Is it really that easy? 07/21/2008 11:28 AM CDT
Nakir nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.
>
Nakir tosses three of his silk ladybugs into the air and starts juggling them. He gets a good rhythm going, sending the silk ladybugs flying high into the air in a nice even pattern, until the end when he deftly catches each one and stops.
>
As Tanalae recites an arcane phrase, her wounds are miraculously healed.
>
Tanalae approaches you and touches you.
Your neck tingles for a moment, then suddenly feels a bit better. Tanalae looks a bit pale.
[27 Lirums are taken from you.]
Roundtime: 2 seconds.
>
Nakir tosses three of his silk ladybugs into the air and starts juggling them. He is able to get them going, and keeps them flying for a short time, even managing to catch them all at the end, with a bit of panicked grabbing.
>
Nakir regards you carefully, searching for some pattern in your movements.
>
Nakir nods.
>
Nakir says, "Fair 'nuff."
>
Nakir tosses three of his silk ladybugs into the air and starts juggling them. He gets a good rhythm going, sending the silk ladybugs flying high into the air in a nice even pattern, until the end when he deftly catches each one and stops.
>'what?
You ask, "what?"
>
As Tanalae recites an arcane phrase, her wounds are miraculously healed.
>
Tanalae approaches you and touches you.
Your left leg tingles for a moment, then suddenly feels a bit better. Tanalae looks a bit pale.
[24 Lirums are taken from you.]
Roundtime: 2 seconds.
>
Nakir tosses four of his silk ladybugs into the air and starts to juggle them, getting a good crossover pattern going for a while. He almost slips at the end, but manages to catch them all without quite dropping any.
>
Nakir says, "That yera barb."
>
Nakir says, "So many them others try 'n copy barbs."
>
Nakir says, "Was just check'n"

Wasn't sure where the best place to post this...

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/21/2008 11:46 AM CDT
All you have to do is DESCRIBE <person> and it will tell you if they are lacking Inner Fire or not. So I would have to conclude.... Yes, it is THAT easy to distinguish between real Barbarians and fakes.

Your mind hears Eladrin thinking, "i saw tikoro make out with a goblin once"

Your mind hears Tikoro thinking, "{faintly}" "Yeah, your mum is pretty ugly."
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/21/2008 05:23 PM CDT
unfortunately true.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/21/2008 10:08 PM CDT
Speaking as a Thief: Lame.

Speaking as a Barb: ...still lame. Give 'em a chance!

I had a good idea for a signature... but I forgot what it was...
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 06:36 AM CDT
<<Speaking as a Thief: Lame.

Speaking as a Barb: ...still lame. Give 'em a chance!>>

Yeah, I posted it and I am a Barb, only Prof I ever played. But when I seen the "Just Checkin" it made we want to stab em because to me it almost feels like mech abuse. Although probably not....

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 09:54 AM CDT
yeah, my barb got that alot in the early days. always p'd me off. both as a barb and as a barb <other>.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 05:06 PM CDT
I love that we can do that. As a man.

Let's please not start this stupid discussion for the 15,000th time. Let Gonif argue amongst herselves in the thief folders.

~Player behind Korutu Rippentropp
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 05:09 PM CDT
i wasn't the one that brought it up. And whether you agree or not, its still lame.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 06:47 PM CDT
The Thief point of view is actually right this time... I-win-button things like this (no checks of any kind) aren't very cool, especially for those Thieves who are careful not to get outted.

Now, while I don't really see how the whole "absense of inner fire" messaging fits (we can't see our own inner fire except by meditation on fire or chakrel, after all) I also unfortunately don't see it going away.

The best solution I can think up is for Thieves to get some sort of item that they can have on their person that makes it look like they have IF, similar to the proposed items to fool that magic perception thing that (it think) moonies do.

It's not like you NEED to out Thieves anyway. It doesn't somehow change their skills, abilities, or how easily they can steal from you if you know their guild.

I had a good idea for a signature... but I forgot what it was...
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 07:24 PM CDT
I'm not sure how often the original poster read the boards, but this topic has been covered a whole bunch of times already. There's really no need to start raging over this again, unless it looks perfectly fine for us to head over to the Thief boards and nag about a lot of their stuff as well.

Until describe is changed, I suggest Thieves be a little more careful on the guild they pretend to be. Sometimes Barbarian titles and screaming out that you're a Barbarian doesn't have the intended effect.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 09:56 PM CDT
<<I'm not sure how often the original poster read the boards, but this topic has been covered a whole bunch of times already. There's really no need to start raging over this again, unless it looks perfectly fine for us to head over to the Thief boards and nag about a lot of their stuff as well.>>

I read selective folders, I have to actually eat and do work sometimes. I will just throw my vote in that its a lame way to out a thief and be done with it, GMs will make thier decision to change or not, not really my problem just MHO. Also, I do not care that it has been brought up before, I don't know why people always bring that point up unless the person is known to already know and just spamming folders. So no I don't care that its been brought up before, big deal. You need to evaluate your definition of "raging" as that made no sense. Also you might want to re-read, don't skim, my previous post...I am not a thief, never played one in the last 10 years so probably never will and I don't read the thief boards so you can go "nag" over there all you want.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 10:12 PM CDT
It is easier by far to bring up a topic again and again as you have need, than to try and "search" these forums for that particular topic when you want to know more about it. There is virtually NO WAY to search for something other than to read the last 10,000 posts in a folder over the last 7 years.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 10:31 PM CDT
>>It is easier by far to bring up a topic again and again as you have need, than to try and "search" these forums for that particular topic when you want to know more about it. There is virtually NO WAY to search for something other than to read the last 10,000 posts in a folder over the last 7 years.

iv always wanted a search function for the forums
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/22/2008 10:48 PM CDT
MARTINCOTY77,

As I said, I don't know how often you read the boards. If you don't read them much then fine, good for you. Over-eat and over-work all you want. No need to get overly defensive when the rest of my post wasn't even directed at you.

The rest of my post wasn't directed at any specific person. I'd just rather not see 10 pages on how it sucks that Barbs can identify Thieves that pretend to be Barbs with that. So, I'll requote my advice:

>>Until describe is changed, I suggest Thieves be a little more careful on the guild they pretend to be. Sometimes Barbarian titles and screaming out that you're a Barbarian doesn't have the intended effect.

I too would like a nice search function on these boards. Thanks.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 06:56 AM CDT
>>Yeah, I posted it and I am a Barb, only Prof I ever played. But when I seen the "Just Checkin" it made we want to stab em because to me it almost feels like mech abuse. Although probably not....

Mech abuse? Um yeah, no.

>>I-win-button things like this (no checks of any kind) aren't very cool, especially for those Thieves who are careful not to get outted.

Good god tell me you're not being serious. Using terms like an "I-Win-Button" for observing if people are dancing? Tell me this is all some hilarious joke that I just don't get. Someone?

Thieves aren't supposed to be immune from being detected for who they are.

>>It's not like you NEED to out Thieves anyway. It doesn't somehow change their skills, abilities, or how easily they can steal from you if you know their guild.

Yes, yes I do. I want to know every single thief who could potentially steal coins from me. I NEED to know. I don't care if you don't need to know, I do. Knowing that they are a thief DOES change things like how I'll interact with them or whether or not I'll protect my coins or carry a loaded weapon or dance eagle all the time.

Can we please cut this crap and stop feeding off the tears of thieves? I don't care if they can't pretend they are a thief forever. Whoopdie-freaking-dooo.

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 07:17 AM CDT
its not as if every thief has your pockets lined up in the hair-triggers of their crossbow either. sometimes that thief standin' over there with the barb titles is there tryin to hunt..and is out there training their weapons just as hard as you are. in all the times my barb has been pickpocketed, only once was by a guilded thief and that was like 12 years ago. however, a few times a WM has made a try... helllllooooo ragran!.....

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 10:13 AM CDT
<<Can we please cut this crap and stop feeding off the tears of thieves? I don't care if they can't pretend they are a thief forever. Whoopdie-freaking-dooo.>>

True its not really a big deal usually, its just kind of pointless even trying to hide identity as a thief when people can just "check" to find out for themselves.

<<Good god tell me you're not being serious. Using terms like an "I-Win-Button" for observing if people are dancing?>>

You mistated what anyone was referring to. People are talking about using the ability that was intended to observe if someone is dancing to check if someone is a thief. They don't care if the person is dancing are not. I agree the "I-Win-Button" term sounds odd for this situation as your don't win anything as there isn't any check involved.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 10:34 AM CDT
I didn't mis-state anything. I got the reference of using 'describe person' to check if someone was a Barbarian or not. At one point we could even perceive and tell if there were finger wagglers in the room. Big deal. I think knowing whether or not someone is a thief is definitely an advantage but calling it some sort of i-win- button in any fashion is just silly.

Here's my beef - the whole concept of being 'disguised' is hilarious to begin with, Even graphical games don't do disguises very well. Just look at WoW - everyone who attempts to fake what they are is either a ninja, a pirate or a blood elf with the exact same look.

Point being, nobody in DR is really fooling anyone. You might trick someone for the first few encounters but eventually the truth comes out. Whether you tell your buddy you're rolling a thief and he tells other folks or you get caught using a voice throw or whatever. There are a 1001 ways to blow your cover if you're attempting to be a Barbarian or a War Mage or a Trader or an Empath or whatever.

Is searching to see if they are dancing really that surprising to anyone? If I couldn't do that I'd ask them to give me the hand shake. If I couldn't do that I'd ask them to join me in the Barbarian forge. If I couldn't do that I'd ask to do something else that only Barbarian's can do.

Maybe I'm just not seeing why this is such a big deal.

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 10:48 AM CDT
Alright, I definately get your point.....which is, its just pointless altogether. So nitpicking this one little thing is again pointless. I don't go around looking for ways to check thieves so I am really naive how many there really are. (I knew there was a way with the handshake)

On a side note: I preferred life in DR before shop stealing came out....(stealing trainability aside)....I liked walking around more "on guard" or having to RP a fight or stealing situation. Just hasn't happened to me in years.

I never played WOW, do they have player stealing?

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 12:17 PM CDT
>>The best solution I can think up is for Thieves to get some sort of item that they can have on their person that makes it look like they have IF, similar to the proposed items to fool that magic perception thing that (it think) moonies do.

IF is internal. Like Khri. I'm not even sure other barbs can actually see each other's IF, just that they are in the know and are aware of the signs pointing to its use.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 01:00 PM CDT
>>IF is internal. Like Khri. I'm not even sure other barbs can actually see each other's IF, just that they are in the know and are aware of the signs pointing to its use.

IF is nothing like Khri. You're a Ranger, so let me clarify.

We don't SEE the other person's IF. Not being a Barbarian, there's no way you could know this, of course. When you DESCRIBE another Barbarian, you are able to SEE the DANCE he/she is performing. It's natural for Barbarians to check out another Barbarian (real or fake) to observe what dance they're performing. If the fake-Barb gets caught doing this, it's his own fault for lack of planning.

If ANYthing, you could RP it as Barbarians having a 6th sense which means they are able to SENSE, not SEE, the presence of Inner Fire in others, even though this is isn't remotely close to what DESCRIBE actually does.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 01:12 PM CDT
>>We don't SEE the other person's IF. Not being a Barbarian, there's no way you could know this, of course. When you DESCRIBE another Barbarian, you are able to SEE the DANCE he/she is performing. It's natural for Barbarians to check out another Barbarian (real or fake) to observe what dance they're performing. If the fake-Barb gets caught doing this, it's his own fault for lack of planning.

I hate to play devil's advocate in this instance but it must be done.

Technically we only perform our dance at the time of the actual entering >dance dragon after that we are simply imbued with the power of the dance.

That being said - I'd look at it like this. When we dance cobra or dragon or panther we take on a specific form. Think praying mantis or tiger claw or lotus. You know - we shift our style into something that mimics our dance.

That is how I would explain us being able to see what dance/form another Barbarian is using. I can't log in from work but I believe if we perceive someone without a dancing going or inner fire then we see a gaping hole with no inner fire or something like that.

While it is internal I think inner fire is just something we exude from our general presence. I could be wrong but where as a thief has a quiet inner place we have a raging fire in us and it shows on the exterior whether by subtle mannerisms or abilities.

Anyways, this is all so trivial in terms of using it to uncover a thief. Some thieves make it out to be something extraordinary like revealing that the government has been keeping aliens locked up in A51 since the 60s. You being know as a member of the Thief guild ain't THAT big.

- Galren

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 01:21 PM CDT
<<Life is too short to...read the last 10,000 posts in a folder >>

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 01:48 PM CDT
The messaging is something I might take a look at when I look at some other related issues. It's not a priority, though.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 03:05 PM CDT
it is however, a product of the title system though. Before Skill-based titles came out, if a thief had a barbarian title up, all the person "checking" would see when they would "describe" is that JoeBob "is not under the influence of a dance right now". Exactly the same as any barbarian that wasn't dancing. All we are asking is that the new titles to do the same. Thats basically why we wear barbarian titles for, anyway.

::dances like a dragon::

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 07:51 PM CDT
>>it is however, a product of the title system though. Before Skill-based titles came out, if a thief had a barbarian title up, all the person "checking" would see when they would "describe" is that JoeBob "is not under the influence of a dance right now". Exactly the same as any barbarian that wasn't dancing. All we are asking is that the new titles to do the same. Thats basically why we wear barbarian titles for, anyway.

I could've sworn Barbarian Describe came out after skill-based titles.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 09:52 PM CDT
nope, describe has been around for quite a while.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 10:16 PM CDT
Who really cares about describe? I'll just shake a Thief's hands if I want to out them.

>warn DragonRealms interact

* Connection to the game has been dropped.
Re: Is it really that easy? 07/23/2008 10:21 PM CDT
by the way, this is from archived gm announcements,barbarian:

DESCRIBE ? on 2/28/2000 9:37:58 PM 103

By popular request, Barbarians now have the ability to DESCRIBE other Barbarians. This will allow a Barbarian to determine what Dance, if any, another Barbarian is currently performing. To successfully DESCRIBE another Barbarian, you must either know the Dance yourself, or be of a sufficient circle. Enjoy!

-Ariath

So I was definately correct in saying it came out before Skill-based-titles.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/24/2008 08:46 AM CDT
>>I am still waiting to see some ba'bs running around flapping their arms like a chicken in room descriptions.

Unfortunately we don't have a chicken dance but I hear you can do a mean impersonation of a dead 100+ moon mage :P

- Galren

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/24/2008 11:57 AM CDT
>>Unfortunately we don't have a chicken dance but I hear you can do a mean impersonation of a dead 100+ moon mage :P

I don't think he fakes it.

Re: Is it really that easy? 07/24/2008 12:25 PM CDT
>Pelag ai Aldam

Everytime I see that title I cant help but think it means "The Corpse Of".

>warn DragonRealms interact

* Connection to the game has been dropped.
:Nudge: Is it really that easy? 07/25/2008 12:42 AM CDT
:bang bang: Let's keep the discussion to complaints about barbarians and not about each other. Thanks.

Questions and/or comments can be sent to MOD-Hagbar@play.net, Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net.