Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:00 AM CDT
It seems your inner fire takes a hit when to flee? I was warned in the past about logging out of the game with critters at melee but I'm getting to a point that I couldn't give a [insert your favorite decorative word or phrase here]. Too many times have I run into situations where I was stuck with critters at melee and couldn't retreat. And the worst part about it is these critters aren't even a threat. They could hardly scratch me. So I'm left with the following?:

1) Flee, even if it means taking a hit in inner fire?
2) Just plain log out regardless of the situation. Does inner fire still take a hit? It -better not-.
3) I'm stuck either way.
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:05 AM CDT
You can't kill them?

Shazza says, "Hey, if you're an empath and you're not at least somewhat kind, then you were probably forced into your profession by your parents and should be shot."

Well, all of your students are dead or unconscious, so it looks like you're done.
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:43 AM CDT
sometimes the critters are too swarmy too kill them all, personally i'd take the hit, knowing i can work it back up

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:45 AM CDT
the third option though is hiding and sneaking out of combat or just staying there until they run

--
--
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:50 AM CDT
I suppose, given the situation at hand as it is, taking a hit to yoru fire that you can work back easily is much better than risking getting a mechanics abuse warning. Besides, logging out doesn't work that well in a lot of cases since critters will rush back in back to melee with you when you log back.

Shazza says, "Hey, if you're an empath and you're not at least somewhat kind, then you were probably forced into your profession by your parents and should be shot."

Well, all of your students are dead or unconscious, so it looks like you're done.
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 06:33 AM CDT
<<2) Just plain log out regardless of the situation. Does inner fire still take a hit? It -better not-.>>

Let me fix this:

2) Just plain log out IF you are not stunned and vitality is full\not in danger of possible death. There is no inner fire hit.

Sometimes I just don't feel like\can't stay to kill everything, ie I have to leave RIGHT now, I log out at melee all the time. When I log back in I don't get "so and so critters rush to melee" aka the mech abuse mechanics. These only kick in when you are in danger of death. I know they kick in when you are stunned, however, I am not sure what else triggers them. But I also do know they are not triggered when you log out completely healthy at melee.

So my guess is that you are not in danger of mech abuse logging out at melee completely healthy. I never have gotten a GM talk to me\warn me and I do it all the time.

A GM can correct me if I am wrong though.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 07:27 AM CDT
Alternative Options:

1. Berserk Cyclone and retreat
2. Berserk nightmare and roar any below...
2. Roar hiss
3. Roar serpent (?? one that makes them retreat?)
4. Roar lash/wail (freeze everything in place)
5. Flee (inner fire comes back quickly)
6. Yell out and see if anyone around you can drag you away
7. Slaughter everything :D (my favorite option)

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 08:05 AM CDT
8. Be good enough to hide at melee!

(course if ya hurt thats REALLY REALLY tough)

Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 10:40 AM CDT
>8. Be good enough to hide at melee!

That's one beef I have.

50 ranks more hiding than my highest weapon and I can't hide at melee. We already get the "search for a hiding spot blah blah" wait time if we're being advanced on. Not being able to hide at melee unless you severely outclass the critter seems like a double whammy.

It'll never change, but it's something that'll always annoy me.

________
"I for one welcome our new Lithping Overlordth."
________
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 11:05 AM CDT
Use a light, quick weapon to gain balance and then retreat.

Guild vs. Guild = Apples + Oranges = Fruit Juice = Delicious!
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 11:13 AM CDT
>50 ranks more hiding than my highest weapon and I can't hide at melee. We already get the "search for a hiding spot blah blah" wait time if we're being advanced on. Not being able to hide at melee unless you severely outclass the critter seems like a double whammy.

It is a double whammy, and it makes training stealth skills much more of a chore than survival prime guilds.

>It'll never change, but it's something that'll always annoy me.

I remain optimistic that it will change. Ssra said he'd look into it, but I think the other stuff on his plate is all higher priority. Maybe Zeyurn will address it now that he's the survival lead.
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 11:58 AM CDT
The inner fire hit is minimal. Take it and get out of there when you feel like it.
___
~Ternith Sjomah

Yolesi snorts and says to you, "Looks like you've been on a samatak binge. That's illegal, even in these parts, and I don't want any part of that trouble."
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 01:42 PM CDT
My suggestion: kill them all or use FLEE.

The hit to IF is almost nil when using FLEE and if you hunt again later, it'll be be back before you can miss it.

Logging out during a combat situation is considered Mechanics Abuse and can get you Warning. Just don't do it. :)

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 02:52 PM CDT
<<Logging out during a combat situation is considered Mechanics Abuse and can get you Warning. Just don't do it. :)>>

...and there ya have it.

Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 03:22 PM CDT
What's your reflex?

If these critters aren't teaching you weapons it should be relatively easy to retreat from them, even if you are at the engagement cap. If you're off-balance it certainly becomes much more problematic, but I very rarely find myself in a situation where I cannot retreat from a horde of weaker enemies.

As Galren already suggested, I would consider choosing Serpent's Hiss as your next roar.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 04:29 PM CDT
if you're back-training an alternate armor it might not be so easy to retreat-- i.e. training HP or something.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Escaping, Retreating and Logging Out 05/15/2008 11:33 PM CDT
and if you want to risk it sometimes removing armor helps with retreating as well

--
--
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us