New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 07:09 PM CST
I joined the Barbarian Guild today and selected Avalanche. Went out to hunt and learn how to Barbarian in 3.x, realized Expertise, IF and Augmentation weren't showing up in Stormfront's field experience window despite actively training them so left combat a few minutes later to relog. Upon login for the first time after joining the guild, I received a message about leaving the old ways behind in favor of the new. While the Flame meditation remained, I discovered the Avalanche berserk was wiped and had to go back to Agonar to relearn it. As a side note in case it's relevant, she wasn't fresh out of the character manager. I made her yesterday and putzed around as a Commoner first, so she had ~650 total ranks when I joined the guild today. She did retain both the berserk and meditation when I logged in a second and third time after joining, however.

Also, I realize Barbarians can train Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding now, but are we supposed to get a rank in each of the other magic skills that our berserks/forms/roars/meditations don't train when we join the guild? My new Barbarian did so if there are any penalties for that, I hope they're not too detrimental. I wouldn't think a single rank in those four skills would be too bad -- correct me if I'm wrong, of course -- but thought it worth asking about.
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 08:14 PM CST
>My new Barbarian did so if there are any penalties for that, I hope they're not too detrimental.

You train those skills now. Barbarians aren't penalized for having ranks in Supernatural Skills, like Augmentation, Debilitation, or Warding. In fact, you'll need them.
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 08:32 PM CST
>>I joined the Barbarian Guild today and selected Avalanche. Went out to hunt and learn how to Barbarian in 3.x, realized Expertise, IF and Augmentation weren't showing up in Stormfront's field experience window despite actively training them so left combat a few minutes later to relog. Upon login for the first time after joining the guild, I received a message about leaving the old ways behind in favor of the new. While the Flame meditation remained, I discovered the Avalanche berserk was wiped and had to go back to Agonar to relearn it. As a side note in case it's relevant, she wasn't fresh out of the character manager. I made her yesterday and putzed around as a Commoner first, so she had ~650 total ranks when I joined the guild today. She did retain both the berserk and meditation when I logged in a second and third time after joining, however.

It sounds like the 3.0 conversion mechanics are on a bit of a delayed timer. Not sure what to say as I'm not an expert on those mechanics. But your abilities should stick after what you experienced.

>>Also, I realize Barbarians can train Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding now, but are we supposed to get a rank in each of the other magic skills that our berserks/forms/roars/meditations don't train when we join the guild? My new Barbarian did so if there are any penalties for that, I hope they're not too detrimental. I wouldn't think a single rank in those four skills would be too bad -- correct me if I'm wrong, of course -- but thought it worth asking about.

As a Barbarian you will have to learn some Inner Fire and Augmentation/Debilitation or Warding. You will never need to (or really be able to) learn Utility. You can even learn Arcana skill, though when Enchanting releases I expect there will be some (mostly RP) penalties introduced for doing so and ways to unlearn those ranks.

Elanthipedia also has a great writeup and useful information that may help - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Barbarian

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 09:18 PM CST
> As a Barbarian you will have to learn some Inner Fire and Augmentation/Debilitation or Warding. You will never need to (or really be able to) learn Utility. You can even learn Arcana skill, though when Enchanting releases I expect there will be some (mostly RP) penalties introduced for doing so and ways to unlearn those ranks.

I've been training IF and Augmentation with her one little berserk so far. :) My concern was the experience in Arcana, Attunement, Targeted Magic and Utility she received. None of those appear to be trained by the berserks/forms/meditations/roars according to what I read on Elanthipedia, so I was puzzled by their inclusion in the joining ranks and thought it might be buggy. If having those ranks won't impact her negatively, no problem. If there were notable repercussions, however, I'd be annoyed by the lack of personal choice in being penalized by the guild for ranks given automatically. It's not really a big deal either way, just wasn't clear on how it'd impact her.

Thanks for the replies.
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 09:55 PM CST
It is weird you start with ranks, that may lead to later penalties. Hopefully when all that gets released we have the option to wipe our undesired magic ranks. Welcome to the barb guild find me if you have questions.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 10:18 PM CST
>It sounds like the 3.0 conversion mechanics are on a bit of a delayed timer. Not sure what to say as I'm not an expert on those mechanics. But your abilities should stick after what you experienced.

The 3.0 conversion mechanics kick in when you log in for the first time as a barbarian under 3.0/3.1.

So, made a barb 20 years ago and log it in today? Conversion.

Make a new character, play it for 5 days, join the barb guild, log off, log on, converted to 3.0.

Note that this can let you stretch your level 0/1 training a bit. Join the guild, pick up ability X, get locked in magic skill X, log out, log in, pick up ability Y.

Only works the one time, but hey, free magic training.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/17/2014 10:50 PM CST
:nod: I wouldn't worry about it. A few ranks in various magic skills isn't going to do anything detrimental now or in the future.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: New Barbarian issues 11/18/2014 01:45 PM CST

>> You can even learn Arcana skill, though when Enchanting releases I expect there will be some (mostly RP) penalties introduced for doing so and ways to unlearn those ranks.

For as long as this has been up in the air, a decision on the type of penalty would really be great. Some of us have been staring at arcana with baited breath, afraid we're going to take a hit in inner fire or our guild skills if we start listening to classes.

To clarify, just trying to weight the overall decision. RP choices can be embraced happily and dealt with. Mechanical penalties however, for me, are going to decide whether I take that venture. Yes, there will be ways to unlearn those ranks, but that doesn't return the time wasted if all the sudden that mechanical burden is too much to bear.