Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 11:16 AM CDT
<<Everyone who starts a meditation will decrease your IF pool, and not theirs.

::laugh::

God, I hope you're joking.

It would be cooler if it drained the mana from people if we used it too high!!

"Decisions I regret: making staff sling my primary weapon, losing the funky chicken, and becoming a Warrior Mage."
-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 12:31 PM CDT
Is the plan toward making meditations work with IF exclusively?

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 03:15 PM CDT
Meditations will most likely use different sources depending on what the meditation does. Some will use IF, some concentration, some a blend, some other things entirely perhaps.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 03:17 PM CDT
Neat. That would make the system really diverse. I can already see what they function on being one of the factors in determining which one you choose. Thanks for the info.

"Decisions I regret: making staff sling my primary weapon, losing the funky chicken, and becoming a Warrior Mage."
-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 08:17 PM CDT
Awesome. That is what I was looking for. Just making sure it is a blend of essence pools used differing from meditation to meditation. Appreciate the response.

- Simon

Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/18/2006 11:49 PM CDT
*Takes a few notes regarding a certain someone's Innerfire and grins*

Us joke? now would we do that?

Regards,
Rhaz

**Jeladric says, "A young man of convictions is fine but they need to be tempered with wisdom and manners.
Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/20/2006 01:56 PM CDT
>Us joke? now would we do that?

No ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor. MIB

Recall Immoral
After a long night of partying, an almost intangible thought reminds you that the name of the woman laying next to you begins with an "S" before you sneak out her window with her purse.
Meditation devices 05/18/2006 03:05 PM CDT
This was posted in the general suggestions folder and thought it would be a good idea here.

I came across some information on stones and I thought I would throw this information out there. Maybe a GM will see the potential in them to incorporate them with the magical device system.

A piece of clear/white quartz to help with your meditation. you can program it by holding it to your third eye and focusing on a specfic thought form, such as protection. a crystal's power is enhanced by direct moonlight., which performs a cleansing function as well.
A piece of banded agate should reduce your stress. a piece of amethyst will help reduce your nightmares if you sleep with it under your pillow. red jasper is for night protection, defensive magick, and the return of negative energy. and brown jasper is used for grounding and stability. a piece of malachite will break in two pieces to warn you of imminent danger. rose quartz is good to promote peace. smokey quartz is a good protective stone. sodalite is good for reducing stress and also to meditate with. turquoise enhances verbal communication and allows thoughts to flow in perfect sentences, as well as functions as a protector of spirit.

~Halanny Bledd

You can lead a mage to mana, but you cant make 'em think.
Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 04:02 PM CDT
We are seriously considering having focuses for meditations, though I don't think they will be crystals. Maybe the arm of a fallen foe or something. . .

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 04:09 PM CDT
<<We are seriously considering having focuses for meditations, though I don't think they will be crystals. Maybe the arm of a fallen foe or something. . .>>

If that is the case, you might want to also check out the FOCUS verb and marriage use application of it, along with FOCUS and its interaction with magical devices. Just for the testing if anything isn't changed on those two things while adding new meditations.

- Simon

Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 04:23 PM CDT
>We are seriously considering having focuses for meditations, though I don't think they will be crystals. Maybe the arm of a fallen foe or something. . .

I would like meditation items to be something that the Barbarian creates himself that reflects how they roleplay their character, so that Savages could make something out of bone and the Ahlen could make something out of gems or something more refined like ivory. Also, it would be nice if the item could 'bond' to the person much like Moon Mages and prediction tools.

But I really could use that red jasper since I'm afraid of the dark and need to get back all that negative energy I try to dish out.

>If that is the case, you might want to also check out the FOCUS verb and marriage use application of it, along with FOCUS and its interaction with magical devices. Just for the testing if anything isn't changed on those two things while adding new meditations.

Just make sure we dont accidentally gain ranks in the Magic Device skill

You can lead a mage to mana, but you cant make 'em think.
Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 04:26 PM CDT
<<Just make sure we dont accidentally gain ranks in the Magic Device skill>>

Heh heh

- Simon

Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 04:48 PM CDT
Just because its a focus, doesn't mean that you FOCUS on it.
And creating them is something we really like. Details like that that take time but I think really make things come alive.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 05:58 PM CDT
Iayan and myself have alot of really (we like to think) good things going in the works for meditations. We have talked a great deal about devices and both of us seem to really like the ideal, and mayhaps some good rping stuff to go with the creation of them as well. We are both putting a great deal of time in on this system as we both think it will be a great addition to the guild. Stay tuned for more down the road.

Stand Tall, Stand Proud
Gm Rhazah
Team Barbarian
Re: Meditation devices 05/18/2006 06:45 PM CDT
<<Just because its a focus, doesn't mean that you FOCUS on it.
And creating them is something we really like. Details like that that take time but I think really make things come alive.>>

Yes, but as a player, no one will know what the syntax is until it is given and/or live in the game. Just mentioning it so you can look after that possible problem when you are QCing or creating the system.

I think the past issue with war paint and CONCENTRATE is what I'm trying to refer to (saving a step, so to speak). Concentrate is already another verb used by magic users and it might have had conflict with the warpaint system. Anyway, it is just speculation at best for the focus thing. :)

- Simon

Re: Meditation devices 05/19/2006 12:02 AM CDT
Just as a note, we really appreciate the work you two have been doing. I really feel like things will be moving forward in the Barb guild.
Re: Meditation devices 05/20/2006 05:02 AM CDT
<<We are seriously considering having focuses for meditations, though I don't think they will be crystals. Maybe the arm of a fallen foe or something. . .>>

Meditate greatsword... Meditate helm... meditate shield... mediate ring..

Something wea can do standing and moving. Remember the highest form of meditation is meditation in motion.
______
Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Meditation devices 05/20/2006 12:51 PM CDT
I disagree. I think we should have to sit still and still out minds to achieve the proper mindstate for meditation, unless it is a combat type meditation then we should fully be required to do it on the move. And I love the idea of us being able to build/make our talisman for meditating. Great job guys keep up the hard work it is appreciated.

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Re: Meditation devices 05/20/2006 06:25 PM CDT
<<I disagree. I think we should have to sit still and still out minds to achieve the proper mindstate for meditation, unless it is a combat type meditation then we should fully be required to do it on the move. And I love the idea of us being able to build/make our talisman for meditating.>>

I agree that most meditations should be done still unless it's specifically a combat meditation in which case you could use it on the move. The talisman idea for meditating sounds ... not kosher to me because it feels to magical in nature (similar to MD). Just my thoughts.

<<Great job guys keep up the hard work it is appreciated.>>

Good work so far and I'm sure you guys have a lot of ideas on the table for meditations.

- Simon

Meditation and the history of the horde 05/21/2006 11:10 AM CDT
Hi Iayn & Rhazah,

While you're working on meditations, I was just wondering if you guys saw/remember Veldehar's suggestion (probably over a year ago now). I vaguely recall he suggested that perhaps we could meditate on various barbarian artefacts or tapestries depicting glorious battles of the past, and that by doing so we would be able to gain some insight into some of the history of the guild (through visions of the horde during our meditations).

Just something to throw out there.

Cheers,

Archigos
Re: Meditation and the history of the horde 05/21/2006 04:03 PM CDT
Similar to a bardic recall but more linked with battles and using things like the frescos in the Mer'kresh barbarian guild or the paintings in the dragon dance area as a focus?

I am --- Navak
Re: Meditation and the history of the horde 05/21/2006 04:08 PM CDT
Those and the stuff in the hall in the Crossing Guild too.

Gladiator Maulem~
[Lystid] Do you know the two most important words a married man knows?
>think Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?

Come join the werewolf legions!
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=12199
Re: Meditation devices 05/21/2006 04:19 PM CDT
Well not really if you think about paladin's have soulstones and they don't teach MD so it's possible. Without being magical

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Meditations 08/10/2007 04:10 PM CDT
<<I think that would be neat... spend x amount of IF to give your weapon an increased chance to land a critical strike for a length of time.

Honestly, though, I think it would make for a better meditation.

>meditate strike sword
You focus on your sword for a moment, meditating on its deadly form. After clearing your mind, you are struck by the revelation of how to more effectively use it.

Perhaps give it the same sort of hit to IF that the Elemental Barrage gives to Manipulative Resolve and a similar accuracy bonus (along with the improved chance for a crit).>>

Cossposted from Magic resistance folder.

If i had a choice in the matter I would want meditations to be all unique compared to dances/berserks....ie, not a bunch of stat boosts etc.

Some unique stuff I have heard of where:

Stone skin - no boost to anything in particular, just a straight reduction in damage you take for a period of time
Magic Resistance - Just a straight up good boost to BMR, nothing else
Burden reduction - For carrying heavy loads while hunting etc, You take no effects from being squished for awhile.
Speed - Missile to Melee in a second for a period of time
Super strength - minimum RT for any weapon for a period of time
Accuracy - No accuracy reduction to targetted attacks for a period of time.

Stuff like that.

Codiax.
Re: Meditations 08/13/2007 10:08 AM CDT
That would be wonderful to have a meditation to cut out aiming with a range weapon, and say be able to snap at about 75% of a full aimed shot

Shadow Chieftain
Re: Meditations 08/13/2007 11:51 AM CDT
That would be with approximately 97.5% of your base ranks assuming 130% is full aim.

I don't think that would be happening really.

I am --- Navak
Re: Meditations 08/13/2007 07:30 PM CDT
Sorry to sidetrack, but what % of ranks are used in a snapshot if a full aim is 130%?
Re: Meditations 08/13/2007 08:59 PM CDT
70% as far as I know.

70% snapshot, 100% at around 6 seconds, 130% around 13 seconds.

I am --- Navak
Re: Meditations 08/13/2007 09:06 PM CDT
The Navak is correct.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Meditations 12/28/2007 10:03 AM CST
Any idea on when these meditations are coming in? Or are they still in the "planning" stages

Meditations 12/01/2008 12:19 PM CST
Hey,

I have read through a lot of posts, but still am not entirely sure - what is on tap for meditations for Barbarians?

Are meditations in the idea stage?

Are any meditations in development stage?

What are the general thoughts on what meditations should/can do?

Is it safe to assume that as there are too many skills out in the game as is, that meditations would be an ability based on stats of some sort?

Would there be one meditation only or a bunch (similar to how you learn roars at different circles potentially)?

How is everyone doing? Good to see everyone. I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving.

- Simon
Re: Meditations 12/01/2008 05:35 PM CST
Meditations are still in the pondering stage. I see a place for them somewhere, but I'm not sure where that is or what they would do. I have a pretty good idea for one of them, but it needs a ton more fleshing out before going further than pondering.

The rest of it depends on how the brainstorming goes.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Meditations 12/02/2008 08:48 AM CST
>Meditations are still in the pondering stage. I see a place for them somewhere, but I'm not sure where that is or what they would do.

Similar to communes?

Re: Meditations 12/02/2008 12:29 PM CST
I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of meditation that acted similarly to the Regen spell for empaths.

"As you calm your mind and your heart rate slows, you turn your thoughts inwardly, ignoring your pain as you bring your inner fire to the surface, cleansing your physical being from within and healing your hurts."

With each "pulse" it would heal/cauterize some/all of your wounds while draining IF.

Obviously, being out of active combat would be a requirement... I dunno, just a thought.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Meditations 12/02/2008 01:05 PM CST
>>"As you calm your mind and your heart rate slows, you turn your thoughts inwardly, ignoring your pain as you bring your inner fire to the surface, cleansing your physical being from within and healing your hurts."

>>With each "pulse" it would heal/cauterize some/all of your wounds while draining IF.

>>Obviously, being out of active combat would be a requirement... I dunno, just a thought.

i like the idea how ever i would limit it to getting rid of bleeders as i find the idea of supernatural healing for a barb a bit odd.

Re: Meditations 12/02/2008 07:49 PM CST
<<Meditations are still in the pondering stage. I see a place for them somewhere, but I'm not sure where that is or what they would do. I have a pretty good idea for one of them, but it needs a ton more fleshing out before going further than pondering.>>

Thank you Aurdun. I'm not sure if it is possible, but would you be willing to share what one of your ideas you have in mind are so that we can collaborate and brainstorm?

Just throwing a shout out, but some meditations that are capable in combat and some out of combat.

With the overall purpose of things taught to a Barbarian by the guild is leading them toward becoming a more efficient warrior.

The guild also teaches about mind, body and soul and how they mesh together to form the warrior. I've always seen berserks to be more suited for the warrior who focuses on his mind and body. Dances are more suited for the warrior who focuses on all three aspects. Meditations could be someone who focuses on the mind and soul.

I know this idea may come out from left field, but have anyone thought of a meditation that could focus on the enemies you're fighting? Not like appraising the enemy as that does tell you a lot about them in how they relate to you skill wise and feature wise (strength, agility, reflexes)...

But a meditation that can sense their attacks and predicts what type of attack is coming next based on? Making it easier to a degree in order to attack the enemy or defend one's self. Sorry if this idea has already been used.

- Simon
Re: Meditations 12/02/2008 08:16 PM CST
Personally I want a meditation that freaking kills anything and everything within a 10 room radius. Pretty please?
Re: Meditations 12/03/2008 04:47 AM CST
I'd settle for everything at melee we could even call it Meditate War Stomp to compensate for the original flop.
Re: Meditations 12/03/2008 05:30 AM CST
>>Personally I want a meditation that freaking kills anything and everything within a 10 room radius. Pretty please?

I'm writing up a proposal for this now. Of course the kill zone begins at your feet and works outwards exempting nothing and ends when you can no longer concentrate. Unfortunately, in testing no one has survived to see the meditation kill anything else, but I'm sure that'll work itself out in due time.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Meditations 12/03/2008 06:23 AM CST
Make at least some meditations stackable. That is all.