Soulfire Edges 03/13/2004 10:28 PM CST
Greetings fellow warriors,

Here's an idea I've had for a while, don't know if anything similar has been suggested before. I apologize if I'm infringing on any previous ideas:

At level 100 a barbarian gains the ability to create weapons forged with bits of Chakrel stone/dust in the mix. In the hands of a barbarian these weapons perform considerably better, almost as if it were an extension of the barbarians inner fire. The weapon would glow to reflect the various stages of a barbarians inner fire, and maybe with the weapon in hand, a barbarian would be able to conduct "Soul-charged strikes" that would do considerable more damage/look spiffy, but at great expense to the warriors inner fire and/or various other attributes.

Now, with all of this stated, I would really wish for constructive criticism from all guilds. With that being said, this means no posts of "This idea infringes upon our guilds such in such, so the Barbarian guild should be disbanded." As it is only a suggestion. :-P
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/13/2004 10:41 PM CST
I think it's awesome, and would agree to it only with the stipulation that Veldehar's iltesh is changed to work like that.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/14/2004 02:28 AM CST
The primary reasons I am not fond of this idea are two-fold.

First, the inner fire hit takes away from dancing and roaring. We can only tie so many things to inner fire before they all suffer, from diminishing the same pool.

Second, I see a very few people forging special weapons that all barbarians will want to have. That should drive prices through the roof for those weapons. I think that would be bad for the economy.

It's a good idea, though, and I'd like to see us have the ability to impart spirit fire to our weapons - if there was perhaps a different way to do it.

Just one Barb's opinion.

Gruesome
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/14/2004 02:57 PM CST
>>At level 100 a barbarian gains the ability to create weapons forged with bits of Chakrel stone/dust in the mix. In the hands of a barbarian these weapons perform considerably better, almost as if it were an extension of the barbarians inner fire.

I absolutely love this part of the idea. To add on to it, the longer a barbarian used a particular weapon made in this fashion, the more he would become accustomed to it and the better it would perform in his hands. Of course, the balance and suitability would increase, but so would one of the three damage stats. If it was a slicer, slice would slightly increase ("Now the sharpest part of the blade is right... here!" ::slice::). For blunts, impact would increase ("I can get the best leverage by holding here... and hitting you with this spot!" ::crunch::), etc.

Other bonuses could of course be added in. More inner fire would be gained by killing with this weapon as opposed to using other weapons. Depending on the class of weapon it is, other abilities would get a bonus, just to throw in examples: Bear dance would increase in power and duration when using 2HE or 2HB, Berserk when using, say, axes and clubs, specific roars could gain power from particular weapon types, and so on and so forth.

Standard statutes and limitations of course would apply. Only one weapon can become bonded to a particular Barbarian. There would need to be some sort of quest/ritual performed in order to bond with a weapon in this way.

>>The weapon would glow to reflect the various stages of a barbarians inner fire,

No. Inner-fire doesn't glow; chakral doesn't glow; we don*'*t glow.

>>a barbarian would be able to conduct "Soul-charged strikes" that would do considerable more damage/look spiffy, but at great expense to the warriors inner fire and/or various other attributes.

Yes, as long as nothing glows. ;)

-Steinn-

"[A Barbarian's] lust for gold is immense, their love of drink boundless. Barbarians are without restraint... Although generally they are considered good-looking." -Herwig Wolfram, The History of the Goths
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/14/2004 03:17 PM CST
Yas I likes it alot to, the original idea.Only thing to add is maybe link it to some great finishing moves depending on what dance your doing and enough availible inner fire to pull it off.

Crude example for eagle

* With the Horrid screech of a attacking eagle your hand streaks from your side to grasp your foe by the face embedding your finders in it's eye sockets.3 rt

*With a half twist of your body you sweep your sword like a talon across the neck to sever the head from the body,You laugh quietly ans the head slips from your hand to hit the ground..

over <Double your normal weapon rt or something> needing half fire to pull off.
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/14/2004 11:35 PM CST
In response to Gruesome:

I can understand where you are coming from, both with the use of inner fire, as well as what such an ability may do to the economy. My thoughts on the use inner fire is that its pretty much the only "source" we have to draw on, outside of our voice pool, and the use of voice just didn't seem to fit the part. I was a bit leary of calling it a "Soul-charged" strike to begin with, since that seems to be trademarked material :-P Perhaps some new source could be drawn upon, or it could be a combination of inner fire and voice, or spirit, or any other number of things. I simply added the inner fire bit since it seemed fitting to the overall use of the idea. As much as I would love to see a "no strings attached" ability, I definately see the necessity of a check-and-balance for such an ability.

As far as the economy goes, I'm going out on a limb and assuming that at around 100th circle a barbarian would possibly have some passing knowledge in the forge, so it would be a somewhat self-sufficient ability. And the idea of the weapon being player-forged was merely a suggestion. An entire quest could be designed where the barbarian would have to seek out some long lost warrior/clan/treasure hord/whatever, that would grant the weapon, or the ability to create the weapon, etc.

Love the supplemental ideas too, particularly the idea of having the weapon grow with the barbarian. But I would think something like that would be more beneficial as an ability granted in that wide margin before 100 that doesn't have much in the way of abilities. As well, I'd think that "growth" ability in a weapon might be a bit wasted at 100th circle, since I'd deem a warrior of that caliber pretty grown already :-P

-Fighter Akiren Himashtae, Blademaster-in-training
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/15/2004 01:03 AM CST
>>Love the supplemental ideas too, particularly the idea of having the weapon grow with the barbarian. But I would think something like that would be more beneficial as an ability granted in that wide margin before 100 that doesn't have much in the way of abilities. As well, I'd think that "growth" ability in a weapon might be a bit wasted at 100th circle, since I'd deem a warrior of that caliber pretty grown already :-P

Guess I should have stated it, but the supplemental abilities idea would be for all circles and assumed that only the making of the weapon was reserved for post 100th. The lower circlers would just have to buy their chakral imbued weapon of choice from their elders. Even so, I think the materials should be rare enough and the weapons themselves difficult enough to make that they'd go for 700 plats, if not more, that is, if they're ever even implemented. <g>

-Steinn-

"[A Barbarian's] lust for gold is immense, their love of drink boundless. Barbarians are without restraint... Although generally they are considered good-looking." -Herwig Wolfram, The History of the Goths
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/15/2004 03:44 AM CST
I love the personal weapons, but I see no reason to limit the making of them to post 100, and think that such a limitation to creation of them would not be good for the guild. Let every barbarian make there own, and have a bit of a quest for the necessary ingredients, I think. Normal limits to the quality of forged weapons need not apply necessarily, if barbs before 40th are to have useful weapons. I always thought of some drastic step like stabbing yourself with the nearly completed weapon to be part of the barbaric process for making such blades and acquainting them with inner fire for the first time, but lots of ways to work that out.

~Bractos

>i armor
You are wearing a shield.
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/15/2004 01:09 PM CST
In regard to the "no strings attached" ability, I am speaking of two things, really.

The first would be something that would be done out of combat, such as establishing or changing a weapon focus. It would burn fire, but that fire could be regained, allowing the barbarian to dance or roar at will, without having yet another continual draw on his fire. I suppose a similar thing would be a caster who "spells up" before entering battle. Courage, for example, costs mana to cast, but once cast it does not require additional mana to maintain. Similarly the focus would cost fire to establish, but once established would continue without additional hits to inner fire. This would allow us to use other abilities, such as dancing and roaring, freely.

The other thing would be abilities that require no fire whatsoever. This would be something similar to neck snapping - just a technique that we can learn that does something cool, like a spinning attack that attacks all opponents at melee, not just the current target. Or perhaps the ability to learn an opponent's style, so that after you face X number of leucros you begin to gain a bonus against leucros.

As to having things grow after 100th circle, let's do keep in mind that the systems put in place now will be the ones we'll have when people are approaching 200th circle or 300th circle. That's still a lot of room for growth.

Quests. I would personally love a quest for any ability. I would love a quest to pick my left toenail. More quests, please. I have long wanted to expand the spiritual side of barbarians, using spirit quests to acquire our dances. I would suggest that for the badger dance, for instance, we would meditate on a flame and our spirit would wander to a realm where we have to successfully defend our den, as a badger. Or learn the grace of a swan, or learn to stalk prey as a panther. This stuff would be so much more cool than stumbling across a cave in a room that makes no hint that a cave might be present.

Just one Barb's opinion.

Gruesome
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/19/2004 09:13 AM CST
In response to the whole quest to find the knowledge to pull this off Idea, what if each barbarian was only able to make this weapon once.... especially for themselves and no one else. I'm thinking like when Breunor Made Aegis Fang in the forgoten realms series, it would take EXTREME concentration, a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and once it was done you would feel as if you could never make a weapon that would match it and as such would swear off making another one for as long as you lived.... not another forged weapon, just not another Soulfire blade, I mean seriosly, Ruffles needs some way to buy more boats.......

Roughneck Deagar
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/19/2004 10:04 AM CST
I have your soooooooooooul in mah belly er.. mah blaaaade. Get in mah blade! :P

-Ruffles

Always highly controversial, never watered down.
Role-playing is contagious, catch the fever.
http://www.pleaseprey.com/gummi.html
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/21/2004 04:36 PM CST
I like the once in a lifetime soul weapon idea. I think it should be one of each kind of weapon though and not one weapon period. Anotherwards 1 soul HE, THE etc.

Mercenary Cerrebus

Tremble and despair mortals, Doom has come to your world!

Good...Bad...I'm the one with the gun.

Ride out and meet them; for death and glory! For Rohan! For your people!

I know Kung-Fu.
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/21/2004 11:19 PM CST
The problem I see with the once-in-a-lifetime weapon is that mechanics change. Heroes of song and story could get away with using one weapon because the physical laws of their universe didn't change on a whim.

How would you like it if your once-in-a-lifetime weapon was rendered obsolete due to a change in combat mechanics, or the release of a new forging system or rare metals?

What about personal changes? I'd like to have a bond with a weapon that I could shift from weapon to weapon as I get stronger and able to wield heavier blades, for example.

The point is, who knows what tomorrow may bring, and today's weapon may not be suitable for it. Let's not commit to something we may regret later.

Just one Barb's opinion.

Gruesome
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/22/2004 12:01 AM CST
>>What about personal changes? I'd like to have a bond with a weapon that I could shift from weapon to weapon as I get stronger and able to wield heavier blades, for example.

I like the sound of that.

-Steinn-

Re: Soulfire Edges 03/23/2004 01:17 AM CST
Well, in response to the various personal changes a person would make, I personally don't know of anyone who trains every single weapon equal to the point of meeting primary circle requirements, but correct me if someone does. You could still be deemed a master of all weapons, yet have your soulfire weapon be in the class you are most proficient with. It wouldn't be as if you were forced to use that weapon and only that weapon, but there would be benefits to it, ie. the enhanced stats from being in a barbarian's hands, cool verbs and looks and all that, anything else associated with wielding such a weapon. A weapon that can shift to become any weapon class seems a bit too... magical for my liking, even though this idea itself may seem a bit borderline.

And as far as changes made to game mechanics, I'd say that at any given time tweaks can be made to change any and all of our abilities, be it for better or for worse, so why plan an ability with so ominous a thought in mind?

-Fighter Akiren Himashtae, Blademaster-in-training
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/23/2004 02:42 AM CST
>And as far as changes made to game mechanics, I'd say that at any given time tweaks can be made to change any and all of our abilities, be it for better or for worse, so why plan an ability with so ominous a thought in mind?

Our combat abilities don't get changed simply because the entire game's core combat mechanics have been drastically altered, almost regardless of the consequences the alterations have on said combat ability (amusing as it might sound). And on top of that, core combat mechanics changes do happen often, and there will be more of them in the future, thus it would be wise to plan accordingly for an ability as such, and not pigeonhole ourselves like that by it only being one solitary weapon which we could never rechoose regardless of the reason (be it mechanics changes or personal preference).

I don't recall if the Paladin holy weapon ability was out before the agility/reflex changes, but if it was I feel so horrible for any Paladin who had their holy weapon made from a claymore, katar, any blunt, or any other weapon with dismal balance, because after those changes such weapons are practically useless, but they're stuck with their holy weapons and can't change them. Same deal with the very recent combat changes, I feel bad for any Paladin who made a holy weapon from a puncture weapon, only to find that puncture weapon combos now suck compared to slicer combos.

And on a side note, I'll get shut out of any kind of soulfire/holy weapon/weapon bonding system that ever ends up coming out, because I use brawling. =(

Dragoonseal
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/23/2004 07:28 AM CST
>>because I use brawling. =(
>>Dragoonseal

BAH! Grow some Cahones, just go to the forge melt down yer Materials and Dip yer Durned Hands IN! HUZZAH! instant Soulfire Boxing gloves.... and while you're at it coat your body with it and become the fist of the races with an Exoskeleton! the pain would subside..... eventually.....

Roughneck Deagar
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/23/2004 02:17 PM CST
We can remake him....we have the technology....a man coated completely in Kertig and Glaes...the six million plat man.

wheeeeee!

Genneron
AIM: Genneron
Help me out here, build up my army.
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=6az3xbi9
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/23/2004 02:21 PM CST
<<We can remake him....we have the technology....a man coated completely in Kertig and Glaes...the six million plat man.>>

We will rename him... Mini-Ruffles. <does Dr. Evil trademark pinky motion> TM

-Ruffles

Always highly controversial, never watered down.
Role-playing is contagious, catch the fever.
http://www.pleaseprey.com/gummi.html
Re: Soulfire Edges 03/24/2004 07:29 AM CST
Most excellent, I volunteer to be the first to be remade in Kertig and Glaes......

Roughneck Deagar