Replies 04/03/2003 05:08 PM CST
Yikes.

>>Ok, I need someone to fill me in on the War Stomp ability. Apparently it must have been mentioned while I was away (or at one of the cons).

Actually it was posted on the boards shortly after the guild-wide meeting at the end of January.

Before I go through the replies, let me outline what I've been working on for them so far:

Stomp will be done with your foot or certain weapons. Stomp will cost IF to varying degrees. Stomp will affect opponents at melee or pole range. It will unbalance and even knock them down. It will be a 100+ ability for a few reasons. 1) it's a fairly fantastical ability, so it's a very advanced technique for using IF. 2) I was asked to write it for 100+ folks <grin>. Right now, that's the extent of it. While it could certainly be expanded in the future, and the ideas I'm going to be going through in this thread are very cool, they will have to wait for awhile. The big reason that it went from suggestion on the boards to design so quickly is that, just like I said at the Barb meeting, the right people behind the scenes liked the idea and the scope was small enough to be manageable in the timeframe available.

Now onto more direct replies.

>>Stomps could be used, in my mind, to unbalance foes, stun them perhaps, cause damage, make opponents drop their weapons.

That's more like the plan for Roars, actually, though Stomp will be an ability that unbalances a Barbarian's foes more than roars.

>>Break items on the ground...breaking barriers (the ones from the sorrow war come to mind or FOI's)

Hmmm. Interesting.

>>A Stomp can be a devastating attack on a fallen foe.

Heh. Cool mental image.

>>I just wonder why they even said Snow elf you get to try it first,yet you may be dead before we even no what it will do let alone be released.

Since the proposal for it came directly from the boards, what it would do was already known. Timeframe is an unknown, true, though I'll resort to the infamous GM "Soon".

>>Hmm I thought Stomp was going to be a dwarf only verb! Stomp is how we dance.

That's a very valid point, and is something I was discussing with Solomon briefly today, in fact. One or two SimuCons ago, racial-specific movement verbs were mentioned as being Something the Boss Wants Done. STOMP was the classic example for Dwarves. Obviously, STOMP has not gotten to the point where it can be released into the game as a movement verb, but we're going to bypass that for now and tie the Barbarian War Stomp into the Stomp verb. However, Dwarves will be able to stomp to their heart's content at some point in the future (and some of the messaging for it that will remain GM-only for now really is cool to look at).

>>I prefer to see it as a huge burst of Inner fire that rocks the entire room, not only unbalancing the people/critters also knocking everyone out of hiding and distrupting all spells that are being preped/possibly screwing up the mana in the room for several minites, hereby making prepping of any spell impossible. This of course would cause all magic users in the room tremendouns pain. YEA!

The current design is fantastical enough, IMO, but I'll keep thoughts like these in mind for future versions.

Painbringer Skiori
__
Not liking an answer you're given doesn't mean one wasn't given.

__
Re: Replies 04/03/2003 07:38 PM CST
>>the ones from the sorrow war come to mind
Hmmm. Interesting.

yea yea!!! not.

Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of having failed to live.
Re: Replies 04/03/2003 10:06 PM CST
Thanks for the Stomp replies. I feel better knowing that the dwarf stomp verb is still being worked on. War Stomp is a cool idea and I love it. But I am a dwarf and... Hmmm, Dwarf + Barbarian = SUPER STOMP! What an idea! STOMP bonus for dwarves!

Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss.

You have deep-set stormy grey eyes and a broken nose. Your bright orange-streaked golden brown hair and beard are worn braided. You have copper skin and a brawny build. You are very tall for a Dwarf.
Re: Replies 04/04/2003 04:20 AM CST
I'm also somewhat concerned with "Stomp" that it be Dwarven but not directly affect critters.

My Dwarven cleric in prime has fond memories of Stomping in with the rest of the Stone Clan Militia et al under the leadership of Hegemonic, was fun and it certainly made crossing notice when a whole bunch of Dwarves stomped through the gates.

However, in plat my main Dwarf there is an Empath, and she wouldn't want to be shock-inducing by using her Kertigen-given Dwarven right to Stomp. :-)

~only the shadows know~
Re: Replies 04/04/2003 05:07 AM CST
~only the shadows know~,

War Stopm is to be a 100+ barb ability. I want am angling for is a bonus for dwarf barbs who hit 100+, not for all dwarves.

Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss.

You have deep-set stormy grey eyes and a broken nose. Your bright orange-streaked golden brown hair and beard are worn braided. You have copper skin and a brawny build. You are very tall for a Dwarf.
Re: Replies 04/04/2003 07:20 AM CST
>I want am angling for is a bonus for dwarf barbs who hit 100+, not for all dwarves.

This would be good cause everyone knows dwarves need a crutch of somekind. And if they were able to stomp loud enough we might actually notice they are in the room now.

But seriously, I don't think a bonus based off of race is a good idea whatsoever. And if there were a bonus it should go to the Togs, not the dwarves. While dwarves would be able to stomp with class and skill, the Togs would beat them hands down at power. And the poor little gnomes would be stomping around in anger because nobody is taking any notice that they are stomping.

I could go for different racial messaging, which I think would be pretty cool. Or just certain races get unique messaging.

Btw, were you wasted or something when you wrote that post Magdar? heh

Tulkas

>You have generously given away 0 awards to other characters.
Re: Replies 04/04/2003 09:36 AM CST
<<was fun and it certainly made crossing notice when a whole bunch of Dwarves stomped through the gates.>>

So why would it not make sense then to make stomp a movement? Like the paladins have march? Prydeans slink, give dwarves stomp!

Madgar stomps in from the north.

-Ram
Re: Replies 04/04/2003 04:27 PM CST
<<was fun and it certainly made crossing notice when a whole bunch of Dwarves stomped through the gates.>>

There were some togs there too. I was one of 'em. It was hilarious when stuff from the crossing started falling apart. Unless, thats not the time you were referring to ::grins::

~Viceroy Viptorian Arcinian of the Toggish Council

"When I examined myself, and my methods of thought, I came to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." ~Albert Einstein