Stomps 03/31/2003 10:21 PM CST
I'd think many stomps would be appropriate.... there's a lot of ground to cover from circles 30+... especially those past 60.

Stomps could be used, in my mind, to unbalance foes, stun them perhaps, cause damage, make opponents drop their weapons. The gargoyle's stomping comes to mind <pulps some heads>. Perhaps they could even drive people away from melee. Stun/Unbalance them (even though that bleeds into roars, it's okay, because roaring is quite limited in number of roars per a time frame). Break items on the ground.... like when we disarm people either with a disarm maneuver (Should we get one) or cutting off their arms causing weapons/shields to fall. What else....in addition to breaking items on the ground... breaking barriers (the ones from the sorrow war come to mind or FOI's). Perhaps a new passive defense against IP (Mage makes ice, barb shatters it with his/her foot). Combinations of stomping with roars to disorient a person completey (Considering the concussion sound from both the roar and stop, as well as the tremor caused).

I dunno, that's just a lot of random thoughts, but thoughts none the less... hopefully it will spur people into different dircetions. <Grins>

-Ram
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 12:01 AM CST
Tee hee, I'd like a stomp to squish small fams. rowr sigh Sure wish we could still thump them. It's like a mage's free ticket to spy on anyone they want. Could also squish those magic mirror things that moonies get.

Seriously though, I musta missed this one too. What kind of ability are we looking at here? I'm drawing a blank. I could see some rp aspects maybe, like

stomp marauder (dead)
You stomp a circle around the marauder's corpse with a howl.
Miriah stomps about her kill in a circle with a howl.

or

stomp east
Narrowing your eyes, you stomp east.
Miriah stomps into view with a withering glare.

As a combat ability though, I just can't think of anything that wouldn't be better suited for a roar, dance, or berserk.

~Miriah

--
http://shadowling.batcave.net
The Shadowling's Oubliette

If a task is once begun
Never leave it till its done
Be the project great or small
Do it well or not at all
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 01:40 AM CST
Well, I think the route they are going with the war stomp is like... well, I am not sure if any people play Dynasty warriors for the PS2 (Sorry for the shameless use of a game, this is just what I am picture when they say "war stomp")... theres the guy Lu Bu, who during his attacks can stomp the ground, releasing his "ki" (closest thing to IF in a way) in an explosion of force that knocks enemies surrounding him down and damages them slightly.... maybe I am off base in this being what I am picturing when I hear "war stomp" but well, thats what I am thinking anyway...

Anyone know what the heck im talking about? lol
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 06:30 AM CST
I've played Dynasty Warriors 2 :)

I think it would be great if we kept the term "Stomp" general. In other words, let's not localize it to "Stamping your foot on the ground".

Here are some Stomp type suggestions.
1. A Stomp can be a huge weapon strike in an arc. By whirling the weapon in 360 degrees, all foes at melee are knocked-back to missile range.

2. A Stomp can be a devastating attack on a fallen foe. This could be a weapon attack, where the Barbarian jumps into the air, landing it squarely in the target's entrails.

3. A Stomp can be the massive raise and lowering of your foot, to shake the ground. This was the obvious one. Trolls beware!

4. A Stomp can also be a Barbarian raising his fists and slamming them down on earth or a foe.

5. A Stomp can also be a new brawling maneuver.

I feel if we broaden the concept of stomp, we can add a large arsenal of inventive techniques for now and the future.
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 06:51 AM CST
Gargoyle Stomp still ranks as a good one in my book.

From a Martial stand point stomping is a very effective technique when applied to feet/instep/shin/knees. Basically an inelegant brutal sweep type maneuver.

The Big Ugly One

Be not afraid of Urrem'Tier's call. I will speak to you when it is time.
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 04:56 PM CST
You have to remember that if you want to stomp the ground just to shake it and stuff, you have to remember that you can only deliver as much power to the ground as you weigh... and even for the beefiest toggish pally, that wont be enough to shake the ground to unbalance the critter... As for ki, it is very difficult to deliver that type of energy without great preparation and/or direct contact...

The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 05:58 PM CST
<<deliver as much power to the ground as you weigh... >>

Not true at all by real world standards.

<<and even for the beefiest toggish pally, that wont be enough to shake the ground to unbalance the critter... As for ki, it is very difficult to deliver that type of energy without great preparation and/or direct contact...>>

Here's where I get to sound like a broken record.... fantasy game.... it's a fantasy game! True their has to be a balance of realism with fantasy so that things don't get completely nuts... however... it's still a fantasy game, which means anything goes! Further more... if I stomp on your foot, you will get off balance. So sending shockwaves with your foot isn't even necessary!

-Ram
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 06:21 PM CST
>With the speed and temerity of Micaulay Caulkin in the classic motion picture "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York", you stomp your pink stilleto heels into a adan'f blood warrior's shin. The heel lands a massive strike, causing the warrior to hop around in pain before falling over, grasping its shin.

>With the skill of a true master, you stomp your pink stilleto heels at an adan'f blood warrior's neck. It doesn't get back up.

-Frogspawn

Dragonrealms: Thousands of monkeys, thousands of keyboards, still no Shakespeare.
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 06:32 PM CST
>With the speed and temerity of Micaulay Caulkin in the classic motion picture "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York", you stomp your pink stilleto heels into a adan'f blood warrior's shin. The heel lands a massive strike, causing the warrior to hop around in pain before falling over, grasping its shin.

>With the skill of a true master, you stomp your pink stilleto heels at an adan'f blood warrior's neck. It doesn't get back up.

What?

Player of Maizann
Re: Stomps 04/01/2003 07:04 PM CST
I just wonder why they even said Snow elf you get to try it first,yet you may be dead before we even no what it will do let alone be released.

Killien
Re: Stomps 04/02/2003 02:15 AM CST
>>I just wonder why they even said Snow elf you get to try it first,yet you may be dead before we even no what it will do let alone be released.

Ya see, that leaves them an out. Those GMs, always thinking. ;)

-Steinn-
Re: Stomps 04/03/2003 11:43 AM CST
Holy Everild's blade!

That's awesome that they've considered the war stomp ability. I was hoping for this to be something very similar to what Gelv Cyclops accomplish to an area in the room. Very similiar to a tremor effect, since it will unbalance, cause creatures to go prone. Things of that nature, just plain awesome!

Glad to see it about though. Any plans on how many differing war stomps there will be and what circles (or around what circles) a Barbarian would need to be before allowing to use a war stomp? :)

-Ruffles

"Your Kung Fu is not strong."
Re: Stomps 04/06/2003 11:29 PM CDT
Yes, I love this idea sooo much. I would just LOVE to stomp and make a rock guardian fall over...especially since im a halfling. Ya know, I need the power, I just need the power!

Black the Olvi!
Re: Stomps 04/20/2003 12:15 AM CDT
A post was hidden for being off topic. If you have any questions regarding this please contact mod-jacania@play.net or dr-cecco@play.net

GM Jaedren
Events Team &
Team Barbarian
Interim Liaison
Re: Stomps 04/22/2003 03:22 AM CDT
<<Yes, I love this idea sooo much. I would just LOVE to stomp and make a rock guardian fall over...especially since im a halfling. Ya know, I need the power, I just need the power!>>

Hehehe... hopefuly it won't use up much Inner Man... errrrrrrr, I mean Inner Fire.

-P

"The forces that affect our lives, the influences that mold and shape us, are often like whispers in a distant room, teasingly indistinct, apprehended only with difficulty." - C.D.
Re: Stomps 04/22/2003 08:58 AM CDT
> Hehehe... hopefuly it won't use up much Inner Man... errrrrrrr, I mean Inner Fire.

Sure you can come with a more original troll than that?

-Merdell's player
Re: Stomps 04/22/2003 12:52 PM CDT
<<Sure you can come with a more original troll than that?>>

Actualy it was in reference to a post made earlier in the folder ;)

-P

"The forces that affect our lives, the influences that mold and shape us, are often like whispers in a distant room, teasingly indistinct, apprehended only with difficulty." - C.D.