Old barb asks silly questions 07/11/2018 05:24 PM CDT
1. Is charisma useful for barb abilities other than roar?

2. Regardless of answer, do 120+ barbs find themselves using/relying on roars in hunting for purposes other than moving exp? Or, are they mainly PvP concerns?

I've gained ~20 circles since returning but still haven't put a point in Charisma, which has been 10 since ....since I think I started so long ago. (If it helps, I played up until 2.0 or...2.X, but came back for 3.1).

Thus far, I find forms, analyze, and to a lesser extent berserks to be useful. Roars I've done simply to move exp, and also in the chance that I'll need them later for PvE.

I really don't have any plans to become some clever PvP player. Not my cup of tea anymore, at least in this game. I'll fire up good old Quake 4 for some PvP...
Re: Old barb asks silly questions 07/11/2018 06:50 PM CDT
Charisma is only for a subset of roars. Many of our best roars are power contests, which rely mainly on strength. Some are fear contests, most notably Wail of Torment, which relies on charisma. Other than this, no it's not important.

I like to roar quiet rage before whirlwind to clear a room.
Re: Old barb asks silly questions 07/12/2018 12:45 AM CDT
Concur with everything DRPLAYER1 said. Of our primary roars (which I would consider Wail, Strike, Shriek, and Rage), only Wail is a fear attack which factors in charisma, the rest are strength/stamina/discipline.

Once you reach 120+, I would recommend you raise charisma to 30 or so to support Wail just because it's very useful, but mostly because for every additional point of discipline (or whatever) you can get 3 points of charisma, and past a certain point diminishing returns kick in. Beyond that you can probably ignore it if you don't plan to PvP
Re: Old barb asks silly questions 07/12/2018 12:46 AM CDT
Oh, also, assuming the voice mechanics didn't change with 3.0 (the timer seems to be the same), charisma increases voice recovery rate to let you roar more often, so it's nice to have a decent baseline charisma.
Re: Old barb asks silly questions 07/12/2018 09:44 AM CDT

>>Oh, also, assuming the voice mechanics didn't change with 3.0 (the timer seems to be the same), charisma increases voice recovery rate to let you roar more often, so it's nice to have a decent baseline charisma.

Not the case anymore.

If you plan to PvP at all, you will want to invest in charisma. Wail is the goto disabler for us in those circumstances, because there are so many stun-reactive things out there (Anti-stun and stun-hiding jewelry to name a couple). Wail immobilizes while Strike stuns, and immobilization doesn't trigger these things. Charisma is also a major player in the few vs Spirit spell contests left, and when being hit with Soul Attrition, means the difference between life and death. Note: there are also environmental and mob related things that play on charisma, like Hafwa's spirit attack. Better, in practice, to be over prepared than underprepared.

My entire span of character growth, all post 3.0, I have kept every stat within 5 points of each other. I have had zero issues with hunting ground progression, and have zero regrets about training my stats this way.