Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 08:13 AM CST
I have waited over a year to ask this question:

How come barbarians have 0 roars that cause physical damage?

Deaths' shriek used to cause damage. I think the guild needs the supernatural set to have at least one roar cause some form of physical damage. Maybe one that causes damage to the head, making the defender bleed from the nose and ears. Another successful landing would cause the eyes to bleed.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 08:31 AM CST
Squanto just became my hero with that suggestion. Great idea! Make it so... please.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 08:40 AM CST
If I had to guess, it would be because we don't have access to TM. Remember the uproar when bards got vocals-based damage?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 09:01 AM CST
Why not make it based off debilitation? The uproar was because they got their damage based off vocals (lore), like you said. That pretty much talks for itself. Debilitation is in our tertiary supernatural set, so that would definitely be reasonable.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 10:47 AM CST
Any damaging abilities would have to use TM. It is the new rule. We could always make up some new skill in place of TM I guess, but I'm not sure anyone would find it fun or interesting to train.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 11:12 AM CST
>Any damaging abilities would have to use TM.

Do any of the thief ambushes cause damage?
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 11:18 AM CST
>Do any of the thief ambushes cause damage?

Several. And they require melee, usually require hiding, and a weapon/item in hand. They contest and train stealth and weapons, as they are not ranged damage dealers, aside from snipe.
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 11:35 AM CST
Does this mean damaging berserks are off the table also?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 03:07 PM CST
>Does this mean damaging berserks are off the table also?

Out of curiosity, what would a damaging berserk look like, aside from one which required weapons like whirlwind?
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 07:28 PM CST
As was mentioned, Ambush damage comes from passing a successful melee check. The stealth check applies some modifiers, and the SvS check is required for the ambush to actually do stuff.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 08:14 PM CST
Kodius, what if you went to do the damaging roar, had to hold a weapon in hand (any weapon), successfully hit and pass the SvS check... could that work?

While holding your heavy mace, you focus more than just metal on your opponent. With a furious swing, you unleash a cry that resonates with your weapon, releasing a deafening scream at your opponent. The mace lands a strong hit to Codiax's right arm, and the rage of your roar causes blood to pour from his ears and nose.

Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 09:29 PM CST
>Kodius, what if you went to do the damaging roar, had to hold a weapon in hand (any weapon), successfully hit and pass the SvS check... could that work?

So you want a 'doubletap' ability. WMs get a similar one that you target a spell and then input the command, and it casts/attacks in one go.

What you described really doesn't seem to add much to the table aside from 'I can do death metal'? Sonic attacks are really the bard forte to me, it doesn't make much sense for barbs to wield them.

Debilitating and boosting battle cries? Awesome, perfectly in-character. But sonic damage? Eh.
Re: Damaging Roars 01/12/2014 09:38 PM CST
I honestly don't really care to go that route, but if that's what the new guidelines require, unless a new skill is required (targeted rage?), I guess I am just tossing ideas out there that fit with what can be done. I would be okay with a new skill, though, that is supernaturally TMish.

Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 09:10 AM CST
>>it doesn't make much sense for barbs to wield them.

I guess I would mildly disagree based on previous barb history with roars - We used to be able to cause damage with roars, and it was taken away when they decided to take away damage for whatever reason. (I think they removed damage from some other spells too?) But there is definitely a history of it happening before. I would love to get a little damage back from roaring.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 09:19 AM CST
>>it was taken away when they decided to take away damage for whatever reason.

The reason was that it was horribly broken and didn't have a skill check (instead it had a stat check, which they didn't like).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 09:41 AM CST
>>The reason was that it was horribly broken and didn't have a skill check (instead it had a stat check, which they didn't like).

Makes sense - at least now there is a skill to contest.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 10:22 AM CST
>>Makes sense - at least now there is a skill to contest.

If roars work like 3.0 screams, it would be via TM. Damaging attacks fall outside the scope of what debilitation does.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 10:38 AM CST
>If roars work like 3.0 screams, it would be via TM. Damaging attacks fall outside the scope of what debilitation does.

They could take a page from the thief book and include a weapon check. Make you have to hold a weapon in hand, or contest brawling, or something. Have it be powered by IF and be a RT free attack with a cool-down or a charge time or something.
Re: Damaging Roars 01/13/2014 10:53 AM CST
>>They could take a page from the thief book and include a weapon check. Make you have to hold a weapon in hand, or contest brawling, or something.

I don't see anything wrong with barbarian special moves that use weapons, but those wouldn't be roars. If anything, those would be expertise/maneuver moves, right?