Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 06:38 AM CST
I'm not sure this is technically a bug, but it does seem to be a bit of a design flaw.

If someone is under the Lash's debuff, you can't knock out their spell. It doesn't even seem to check that.

That severely limits it's use if they can just immediately reprep it.

Any way it can check to knock down the spell without interacting with the debuff part?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 06:55 AM CST
I think all debuffs should work similar to that, actually, though it would be nice if there was an extremely short duration where spellcasting was disallowed to prevent them from immediately re-casting.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 07:49 AM CST
FWIW when you force someone to re-prep you're setting them back 10-20 seconds depending on the spell.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 01:12 PM CST
>>FWIW when you force someone to re-prep you're setting them back 10-20 seconds depending on the spell.

I guess depending on the spell is key, since when I used it against Vahlissa she re-prepped Sleep and put me to sleep in under 5 seconds after I made her lose her first prep with Lash.

Right now I'm not seeing enough benefit from Lash to make it useful for me, as I'd rather just stun you with Strike and keep you from re-prepping altogether.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 02:50 PM CST
I haven't been on the receiving end of mage's lash but its effects do sound sound weak. I think most debilitation spells are battle spells so reprep is just a few seconds, no more than a minor inconvenience. A PM debuff also doesn't sound particularly frightening.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:01 PM CST
>>I guess depending on the spell is key, since when I used it against Vahlissa she re-prepped Sleep and put me to sleep in under 5 seconds after I made her lose her first prep with Lash.

What is her circle vs your circle, and stats vs your stats? How much mana was she prepping and how long were you put to sleep? I think this is more a problem with spells being too easy to snap cast to utterly explodify individuals, rather than a case where lash is underpowered. When I wrote the roar, most debilitation abilities took 10 seconds or more to prep at the mana necessary to affect someone at-circle.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:03 PM CST
>>A PM debuff also doesn't sound particularly frightening.

Well, if it is a matter of someone capping a spell to penetrate Serenity/Swan, and by penalizing their PM you've prevented them from doing so... that does sound a bit useful to me. It also could muck up any scripts or triggers they have for min prep times vs mana used.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:23 PM CST
>> Well, if it is a matter of someone capping a spell to penetrate Serenity/Swan, and by penalizing their PM you've prevented them from doing so... that does sound a bit useful to me. It also could muck up any scripts or triggers they have for min prep times vs mana used.

I think Serenity prevents roaring, doesn't it?

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:31 PM CST
Hmm, yes that is correct. I don't know then. Would it make sense to just scrap the roar? We can't really do anything at this point to make it more potent.

Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:43 PM CST
> We can't really do anything at this point to make it more potent.

Can you change the effect? A concentration drain can have a significant effect on a caster's ability.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 05:45 PM CST
>> A concentration drain can have a significant effect on a caster's ability.

I'd echo that, most of my backfires come from concentration being lower than I realized.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 07:45 PM CST
How about a concentration drain for the primary effect and a silence on a secondary effect if a mage has a spell prepared? Make the duration 10-30 seconds for the silence if a mage is preparing/holding a spell. This could provide some interesting tactics for both sides and also useful in PvE. That seems worthy of a 3 slot tier 6 roar.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/23/2013 07:56 PM CST
>Hmm, yes that is correct. I don't know then. Would it make sense to just scrap the roar? We can't really do anything at this point to make it more potent.

Can I ask why? Considering that cleric's have HULP, the power itself can't be disallowed.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 01:35 AM CST
>>>Hmm, yes that is correct. I don't know then. Would it make sense to just scrap the roar? We can't really do anything at this point to make it more potent.

If the PM debuff was scrapped, could it prevent casting for something like 30 seconds at max success?

The alternative, a concentration hit, does also sound very useful.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 03:58 PM CST
Another possible effect could be to crush the mage's ability to Target for a set amount of time.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 04:32 PM CST
>>Another possible effect could be to crush the mage's ability to Target for a set amount of time.

You are very good at coming up with effects to pwn mages. Have you considered a career in barbarianing?

I know you're big on the whole moon magic thing, but you have a gift that should not be ignored. No pressure. Here, take this pamphlet home, discuss it with your loved ones and call me if your interest is piqued.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 04:55 PM CST
LOL Angela.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 05:32 PM CST
<<You are very good at coming up with effects to pwn mages.>>

You never shake the roots of a barb/thief beginning. To paraphrase with modification:

General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?
ElementalBushMage: The open steppe, fleet AOE spells, familiars at your call, and the wind in your hair.
General: Wrong! [Winner]! What is best in life?
[Winner]: To crush the mages, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
General: That is good! That is good.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 09:29 PM CST
<<LOL Angela.
>>

r we referring to malk as angela now?

- Buuwl
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 09:47 PM CST
>>r we referring to malk as angela now?

Someone (I forgot who) typo'ed a post quote of mine as >>DIMINISHEDANGELA a while back. Squanto was even more amused than I was. I would try and make fun of him back, but it's hard to insult a man so secure in his masculinity he walks around in an all-pink ensemble.
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 09:54 PM CST
>but it's hard to insult a man so secure in his masculinity he walks around in an all-pink ensemble.

It's also unneeded at that point.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 10:05 PM CST
>>It's also unneeded at that point.

He said, loudly.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Mage's Lash 02/24/2013 10:10 PM CST
>>He said, loudly.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Discussions%20with%20DragonRealms%20Staff%20and%20Players/Microtrans/view/834