Prev_page Previous 1
Charisma 01/27/2013 02:51 PM CST
Seeing as charisma has always been the red headed step child of stats I was wondering if the influence of it to power roars has diminished since the implementation of debilitation?
Re: Charisma 01/27/2013 02:53 PM CST
Most (all?) roars are fear vs willpower IIRC.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.0#Stat_vs_Stat_Spells

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Charisma 01/27/2013 02:54 PM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.0

Charisma is listed as the primary attribute used in fear based contests, which are what roars fall in under. Its not that charisma is devalued, its just that a raw attribute contest went to a modified skill/attribute contest (similar to how agility helps your offense score, but in conjunction with your actual weapon ranks).

I'm not sure how voice falls into it. I presume it replaces 'mana' in the spell contest and was your voice pool diminishes so does the amount of 'mana' being thrown into the contest.
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 10:47 AM CST
Somewhat off topic concern for roars;
Debilitation is akin to TM, yes? As in, 200 ranks of debilitation means I should have a hard time affecting a critter that requires 500 ranks of combats to work with.

Does this mean our roars, as Debilitation lags behind our combats (being a tert), will become less and less usable?
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 10:51 AM CST
>>Debilitation is akin to TM, yes? As in, 200 ranks of debilitation means I should have a hard time affecting a critter that requires 500 ranks of combats to work with.

It's learning model is similar to TM in that to train it you need a critter of appropriate difficulty to your debilitation ranks, but it's scaling of success/failure is quite different. With 70 charisma and about 300 debilitation I've never actually failed a roar in PvE, even though I'm fighting critters with twice that many combat ranks.

We can't "put more mana into it" so the two aren't really comparable. In fact, the inverse of your statement is true: since it's tertiary compared to our other combats, it will always be easy to train.
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 11:00 AM CST
I was worried that once your combats outpace your debilitation (which should happen... like... immediately), you wouldn't be able to affect critters, and thus train on them. But if it's scaled appropriately, then nevermind. I'll have to pump more Charisma and Wisdom!

So, roaring contests Will, Charm, and Fear?
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 11:05 AM CST
>>In fact, the inverse of your statement is true: since it's tertiary compared to our other combats, it will always be easy to train.

This is correct. Its fairly easy as long as you work on your debil that you should be able to keep it in line to hit creatures your level. In general striking something with a debil effect seems easier than hitting it with a TM attack (testing vs the big celpeze in ratha, I can stun them with a smite foe with about 40 less ranks of debil than my TM, but cant strike them with a high mana/full target FST). TM goes through the combat model (and feels more like a weapon in terms of the training) where Debils contest in general seems a bit more binary (and easier) for PvE training.

I'm curious as to how voice pool and roar power work together. I wonder if your at full power until your out of voice or if it starts very high and scales down (i.e is it 100% until you cant roar, or does it start at say, 120% and then goes down there in terms of potency).
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 11:08 AM CST
<<But if it's scaled appropriately, then nevermind. I'll have to pump more Charisma and Wisdom!

So, roaring contests Will, Charm, and Fear?>>

I believe all roars are fear based, but not certain.

As to tert outpacing, it might be possible, but I doubt it. Its very easy to keep Debilitation perma locked in combat, so it will probably generally stay in range of being able to hit something you are fighting. Maybe over a very long range your weapons might outpace it enough that you might have to use two hunting areas(which isnt so bad or uncommon), but it seems pretty easy to hit creatures with debil effects so I suspect this will generally not be the case.
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 12:10 PM CST
With slightly less than 400 Debilitation I'm able to easily affect assassins and intercessors with my roars. You're not in any danger of your hunting outgrowing your Debilitation, at least as long as you put the slightest effort into training it as your character grows. If I had been able to train Debilitation through my character's whole lifespan he would have many more ranks by now.

I will add the caveat that my stats heavily favor Fear contests, but I honestly don't think it's having a large enough effect that lower Fear stats would skew the results.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 12:27 PM CST
>>I was worried that once your combats outpace your debilitation (which should happen... like... immediately), you wouldn't be able to affect critters, and thus train on them. But if it's scaled appropriately, then nevermind. I'll have to pump more Charisma and Wisdom!

Charisma's still the godstat for roars. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it super high unless you plan on PvPing a lot, though don't neglect it too heavily.

I think most roars are fear v. will, though I vaguely recall hearing a couple of them are power?
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 01:39 PM CST
>> Charisma's still the godstat for roars. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it super high unless you plan on PvPing a lot, though don't neglect it too heavily.

TBH I don't see too much of a difference between Charisma and Strength for roaring. Unless Charisma acts as a multiplier, I don't see how its much more beneficial than Strength. Haven't actually played around with changing stats, my data is strictly from comparing Bear to Cyclone.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 01:40 PM CST
After discovering a bug with roar success, I'll probably be making charisma and skill have a larger impact in some situations.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 02:07 PM CST
>>TBH I don't see too much of a difference between Charisma and Strength for roaring. Unless Charisma acts as a multiplier, I don't see how its much more beneficial than Strength. Haven't actually played around with changing stats, my data is strictly from comparing Bear to Cyclone.

Roar success is so easy that you probably won't see any difference at high levels of skill. It's much easier to see the difference with a noob barbarian.

Assuming fear isn't any different than the other stat contests, however, the success modifier for the primary stat (in this case, charisma) is probably 2-3x greater than for the secondary stat (strength in this case). So, if we're discussing how to power roar, charisma's still the obvious choice, though there is something to be said for the additional benefits of strength outside of roar power.
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 02:59 PM CST
>> Assuming fear isn't any different than the other stat contests, however, the success modifier for the primary stat (in this case, charisma) is probably 2-3x greater than for the secondary stat (strength in this case). So, if we're discussing how to power roar, charisma's still the obvious choice, though there is something to be said for the additional benefits of strength outside of roar power.

When I tested WAIL against Leilond's FEAR barrier, it shattered in 1 with Cyclone. Think it was 2 with Bear. Without either of them, took a lot - like 7-10.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Charisma 01/28/2013 03:09 PM CST
>>When I tested WAIL against Leilond's FEAR barrier, it shattered in 1 with Cyclone. Think it was 2 with Bear. Without either of them, took a lot - like 7-10.

That sounds about right.
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 09:20 AM CST
>>If I had been able to train Debilitation through my character's whole lifespan he would have many more ranks by now.

Agreed.

Appraisal: 788 00.60% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 360 11.55% clear (0/34)

Luckily it seems to work against at-level foes though, so thankfully it's not too much of an issue.

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 09:38 AM CST
Whats at level for you? Just curious.

I know I cant for instant stun elder gryphons with a debilitation spell with debil ranks just a little south of yours, so there seems to be a debilitation VS some other skill contests going on (I can stun mature gryphons just fine).
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 10:22 AM CST
I've only tried it with adults so far (I hunt adults and elders), but it seems to have a good success rate. Mind you, the balance hit they get doesn't seem to be very big, but whatever. I just roar quiet anger, haven't tried any of the other debilitating roars.

FWIW, also have 44 charisma, 70 strength, 99 disc. So I strongly doubt my (lowish) charisma/strength are causing any strange success rates.

I'll do more testing on this later on today/tomorrow once I find a good mix to keep all my stuff going and fix a bunch of my training scripts. Will learn and try out more debilitating roars against elders at that time.

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 10:39 AM CST
After chatting with folks about how debil effects work, what you are doing makes sense. It more a modified stat contest, so if you got awesome stats (you do) then the amplification from skill is not necessary to succeed.
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 05:01 PM CST
I never thought the debilitation skill actually affected the stat contests. IIRC, it only determines how adept one is with the usage of their own abilities.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Charisma 01/29/2013 05:44 PM CST
>>I never thought the debilitation skill actually affected the stat contests. IIRC, it only determines how adept one is with the usage of their own abilities.

It should modify the stat contests, if indirectly, in the sense that the stat contest and your debilitation ranks combine to form a debilitation "offensive force."
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 01:41 PM CST
Is that just a barb thing since you don't have mana? I've never heard of that either. My understanding, from a MU perspective, is that debil skill allows you to put more mana into your spell (this indirectly making it more powerful) and allows you to cast faster, but that's it. Assuming one person has 400 debil and second person has 700 and they cast the same spell at the same prep time with the same stats, they should see identical results.
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 01:58 PM CST
>>Is that just a barb thing since you don't have mana? I've never heard of that either. My understanding, from a MU perspective, is that debil skill allows you to put more mana into your spell (this indirectly making it more powerful) and allows you to cast faster, but that's it. Assuming one person has 400 debil and second person has 700 and they cast the same spell at the same prep time with the same stats, they should see identical results.

That is essentially my understanding of it, that more debilitation ranks automatically put "more mana" into the roar. If they don't then it's just a stat contest and what's the point?
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 02:18 PM CST
I'm just guessing, but I think your voice pool contributes the 'mana' which dries up as you repeat roar, but I could be super wrong.
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 02:21 PM CST
>>I'm just guessing, but I think your voice pool contributes the 'mana' which dries up as you repeat roar, but I could be super wrong.

Not sure if voice pool is a good analogy for mana, you don't get a power penalty for casting a spell at lower mana.
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 03:58 PM CST
>>Is that just a barb thing since you don't have mana?

I imagined that the debilitation skill solely affected voice, in that roar power isn't as heavily penalized from having lower voice levels. There could be variations and other ways it would affect voice, but having it affect the actual stat contests would be new to me as well, and I'm not sure if that's the right way to go.

The fact that a roar's strength is affected by lower voice levels is an unavoidable and needed 'drawback' since roars can activate at full power much faster/easier than debilitating spells.

Of course, this is assuming everything is functioning properly (which doesn't seem to be the case).

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 06:36 PM CST
>>Not sure if voice pool is a good analogy for mana, you don't get a power penalty for casting a spell at lower mana.

You do with things like TM (more mana=bigger effect).

With debils, I certainly stun better with more mana in the spell with smite foe, so it certainly adjusts more than the TO HIT. I guess it depends what you consider a 'penalty'. I imagine anything less than your full potency might be considered a penalty(?). I'm not saying they share a model but there seems to be a general parallel that when i have lots of mana I can cast at full power, and get awesome effects, as my pool lessens I have to reduce my mana (or stop casting) so I generally get less impressive effects.

My assumption as to voice replacing mana in the contest is because I feel that makes the most sense (since spells have three parts on offense (skill, stats, mana)). Otherwise Kodius had to bring in another element or modify skill or stats to compensate for the factor that mana plays in debilitation contests with spells.

Its an interesting discussion. Short of Kodius telling us though not sure its really provable in any sense so its all theory craft.
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 07:33 PM CST
>you don't get a power penalty for casting a spell at lower mana

Uh, what? Every spell is less powerful with less mana. That's the whole point of mana. Until you cap the spell's potency, you are receiving a power penalty for casting a spell at lower mana.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 07:51 PM CST
>>You do with things like TM (more mana=bigger effect).

>>Uh, what? Every spell is less powerful with less mana. That's the whole point of mana. Until you cap the spell's potency, you are receiving a power penalty for casting a spell at lower mana.

Poor choice of words.

You don't get a penalty for casting a spell with lower mana POOL, i.e. you don't get a penalty for casting a 20-mana Fireball when you have 30% attunement vs. casting a 20-mana Fireball at 70% attunement. That is what I meant, as that is how voice pool functions for roars (in theory, I'm not sure it's functioning properly at the moment).
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 09:18 PM CST
Spells:

Debilitation skill allows more mana (potency).

More potency increases your bonus to SvS contest.

Duration is determined from success % and amount of mana used.

Roars:

Debilitation skill allows for more potency.

More potency increases your bonus to SvS contest.

Duration is determined from success %. I'd like it to also factor in your skill, but this isn't currently implemented.

So in terms of actually affecting things, they work identically. In terms of max duration, roars currently have an edge, but I hope to resolve that soon.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 09:58 PM CST
>> So in terms of actually affecting things, they work identically. In terms of max duration, roars currently have an edge, but I hope to resolve that soon.

From what I've seen, roars are being beaten out in duration by that bardic immobilizer.

A thin wisp of breeze sails past, tickling your ear and chilling it with a momentary arctic touch. It is followed by another, and another... until they build into the fierce winds of a gale! Your voice is drowned out by the vicious barrage, leaving little room for coherent thought amidst the ceaseless onslaught...
You fall down, cowering fearfully.

w/e it's called.

Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 09:59 PM CST
>From what I've seen, roars are being beaten out in duration by that bardic immobilizer.

Single pulse effect only.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 10:06 PM CST
Well it felt like a 45 second stun(sorry, not an immobilization) which imo was kinda long :-/ This was after it was weakened by Turtle.

>> Single pulse effect only.

What do you mean exactly? It seemed like a spell, not a cyclic.

Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 10:12 PM CST
The bonus from Debilitation skill for roars and capping a spell with regard to the stat contest -- Is that bonus capped both for spells(at the cap) and roars(assuming some random # rank of Debilitation skill)? Also, are those bonus caps the same for both, or can roars potentially glean a higher bonus to the stat contest for having more Debilitation skill, than a spell can have for casting at the mana cap?

i.e. someone casting a capped spell with 70 stats isn't going to succeed on someone with 120's in the relevant stats. Is it equally impossible for someone roaring with 1500 Debilitation skill with 70 stats to not succeed on someone with 120's in the relevant stats?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 10:19 PM CST
>From what I've seen, roars are being beaten out in duration by that bardic immobilizer.

I think that spell has roughly 20-30 seconds duration, and I'm landing max success against you with capped spells.

We should test again to see what a Barbarian using a roar mask, Cyclone, Bear and xxx can do. I think even with a capped Redeemer's Pride, you were shattering that Fear/Will barrier entirely from full strength and still managing something like a minute or longer duration with Wail.

Now I'm not sure if that was because Voice levels were still funky, and also, are the Charisma and Strength bonuses from Cyclone/Bear capped at the same In Sphere bonus as spells? Regardless, I -think- you have mid 80's for the relevant stats when we did the test. I had 100 and over for the relevant defending stats, and a capped barrier, so if anything I'm thinking things are a bit too generous on your end in terms of success and duration :P

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Charisma 01/30/2013 10:35 PM CST
>> I think that spell has roughly 20-30 seconds duration, and I'm landing max success against you with capped spells.

It seemed like a lot longer. We can test it again though.

>> Now I'm not sure if that was because Voice levels were still funky, and also, are the Charisma and Strength bonuses from Cyclone/Bear capped at the same In Sphere bonus as spells? Regardless, I -think- you have mid 80's for the relevant stats when we did the test.

Never used both of em together. It was either one or the other, but not both. Not much stat difference, raised strength 2 points since then, was 87 87 99 now 89 87 99.

I don't think yesterday was a good example of roar power - Bear threw me over the edge and everything except Contemplation fell mid-fight. Volcano'd to not die but that more-or-less just extended the beating.

It's rough trying to manage buffs, one slight miscalculation and you're screwed.

Re: Charisma 01/31/2013 08:17 AM CST
I am routinely getting immobilization of several minutes using unbuffed Wail. If I throw in a roar helm and Cyclone I can immobilize critters for 4+ minutes.
Re: Charisma 01/31/2013 12:54 PM CST
>> I am routinely getting immobilization of several minutes using unbuffed Wail. If I throw in a roar helm and Cyclone I can immobilize critters for 4+ minutes.

Are you using roar quiet? It might be breaking somewhere. I've never seen a normal roar against a player go over 30 seconds. My quiet anger/embrace in inters seems to only last for 15-20 seconds, but they're pretty high up on the SvS chain. Maybe its not checking cap?

Re: Charisma 01/31/2013 01:44 PM CST
>>Are you using roar quiet? It might be breaking somewhere. I've never seen a normal roar against a player go over 30 seconds. My quiet anger/embrace in inters seems to only last for 15-20 seconds, but they're pretty high up on the SvS chain. Maybe its not checking cap?

Yes, roar quiet. I haven't tried roaring a player since test instance closed, it might very well be a bug with roar quiet.
Re: Charisma 01/31/2013 01:57 PM CST

Roar quiet anger against 3 intercessors lasts for about 15 seconds

Roar quiet wail against 3 intercessors lasts for about 45 seconds

Roar wail at <person> seems to last about 10-15 seconds

From very basic testing

my:
Charisma: 99
Debilitation: 619

OP's:
Warding: 350's
Charisma: mid 70's
Guild: Barbarian