Getting out of Melee 03/09/2012 11:57 AM CST
What is more effective for getting out of melee if berserking, Caution of the Spider or Serpents Hiss?
Re: Getting out of Melee 03/09/2012 12:58 PM CST
>>What is more effective for getting out of melee if berserking, Caution of the Spider or Serpents Hiss?

Short: Hiss

Long:

Caution of the Spider is bugged. Often times, when you have several creatures on you and roar, the game will still give you the "xxx is engaged to you at melee range" message even though when you ASSESS it shows everything at missile range. You usually have to roar it several times and wait a few seconds for the game to actually register the end of combat. To this end, I have both roars, and Serpent's Hiss is much better, being not-bugged.

Having said that, I use Caution frequently in very swarmy critters like gryphons, celpeze, etc., who seem to be fond of spawning and jumping right to melee the micro-second I walk into someone else's room. People tend to get annoyed if you roar them and all their mobs out of the room with Hiss, but no one has cared enough (yet) to stop scripting combat when I use Caution instead, if they even noticed.

So, I use both, but if you're gonna choose one, get Hiss.
Re: Getting out of Melee 03/09/2012 10:11 PM CST
I'm noticing that my Death's Embrace has no problem making critters less confident in their attacks, but my Serpent's Hiss can only sometimes make them run. My barb is 17th, in Morah Foliage (I do want to pause a moment to reflect on how much that blows my mind, given that my two most accomplished characters are combat tert). Marauders don't run, creepers do.

I assume I'm right at the limit of what I can scare off?
Re: Getting out of Melee 03/10/2012 10:14 AM CST
>I assume I'm right at the limit of what I can scare off?

Sounds like it. Death's Embrace is easier then Serpent's Hiss. Neither are particularly hard, it's just easier to see the difference at low level and spread among tons of critters. Raise your charisma a few points and you should be able to use Hiss reliably, too.