Prev_page Previous 1
Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 07:05 AM CDT
Any chance we can revisit dragon having the same functionality as the new Ranger spell, since we were given a negative on it boosting weapons held in the offhand in the past? It is about to be released at the same slot cost as Dragon. I know magic 3.2 will have things upended a bit, not so much questioning why, but this is something we've needed for a while and Rangers are actually getting.

For reference, the post of Oath of the Firstborn: http://forums.play.net/forums/13/110/646/post?reply_to=1794105
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 08:43 AM CDT

Man, everyone gets weapon buffs eh.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 10:35 AM CDT

>Man, everyone gets weapon buffs eh.

Every guild except for Traders, Clerics, and Bards have a buff to at least one weapon. Though Bards get increased accuracy and can improve top two stats of a weapon.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 10:42 AM CDT

Oh I forgot about them moon mages, though I suppose they could use a prediction. Don't know how viable that is though.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 03:09 PM CDT

>Every guild except for Traders, Clerics, and Bards have a buff to at least one weapon. Though Bards get increased accuracy and can improve top two stats of a weapon.

Clerics can permanently memorize Righteous Wrath. Bards can permanently memorize Tailwind for a ranged buff, and also have Rage of the Clans, which is basically a better version of +weaponskill. I admit to not knowing until now that MoF was adjusted to be a +MeleeWeaponSkill buff! Moon Mages can't perm learn anything, but still have sorcery options, that will also be available to Traders once Trader Magic is released.

So, yeah, really, MUs sure do seem to have encroached on almost everything Barbs have, and I say that as someone who doesn't think Barbs have it that bad.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 03:40 PM CDT
<<Clerics can permanently memorize Righteous Wrath. Bards can permanently memorize Tailwind for a ranged buff, and also have Rage of the Clans, which is basically a better version of +weaponskill. I admit to not knowing until now that MoF was adjusted to be a +MeleeWeaponSkill buff! Moon Mages can't perm learn anything, but still have sorcery options, that will also be available to Traders once Trader Magic is released.

You seem to be under a misconception about how scrolls work. It's temporary.

<<So, yeah, really, MUs sure do seem to have encroached on almost everything Barbs have, and I say that as someone who doesn't think Barbs have it that bad.

There has always been weapon skill buffs since the beginning of DR not belonging to the Barbarian ability suite. There's no encroachment there.

The only thing that actually has merit being discussed is the buffing of two simultaneous held weapons via Dragon in the same way that OATH does. Anything else is just GvG whining.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 04:39 PM CDT

> very guild except for Traders, Clerics, and Bards have a buff to at least one weapon.

Maybe you're thinking of flat skills, but all guilds have (or have planned) a way to interact with weapons to increase their damage.

* Resonance buffs the balance / suitedness of a weapon held in the hand.

* Technically, bless is a flat damage buff against undead. Cast on a weapon.

Traders [may] get to buff crafting tools instead of weapons, which is nice, I think.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 05:00 PM CDT

Got my wires crossed. Invoked scrolls still represent access to the buff, and it is easily accessible to all MUs accordingly. If you want to call that whining, thats your prerogative. I think MUs need more restrictions, I think sorcery is too potent.

On the topic of the spell, it'd be nice if dragon could be updated to do the same thing.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 05:19 PM CDT
1) +Weapon skill isn't new for Rangers. It's the old Claws of the Cougar spell since that got split in 3.2 (and new functionality added to Claws of the Cougar).

2) While it does boost two weapon skills at once if you have an offhand weapon in use but in MOST scenarios this is actually fairly limited (Since the Rangers can only use small edge/small blunt and some staves offhand). It doesn't boost offhand weapon skill either. It also can't boost brawling. So this is really only functional different in a small slice of scenarios, I included it more for flavor than anything else. A Barbarian having the same logic would get more functionality out of it. (Note: The logic of the spell is going to be changing a little to more closely match the description I have here than how it's working on Test.)

3) I'm not opposed to Barbarians getting the same sort of logic, but it's not a discussion I've had and I'll defer to Kodius on it.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 05:45 PM CDT

>>3) I'm not opposed to Barbarians getting the same sort of logic, but it's not a discussion I've had and I'll defer to Kodius on it.

Oh yes, absolutely a Kodius call and definitely did not mean to put you on the spot, here. Appreciate the hell out of all you're doing, sorry if it seemed like I was training the spotlight on you. We had asked about something similar, since whirl has a quite limited effectiveness as it stands, and seeing this release just made me think the concept could be revisited.

Maybe when Kodius comes back from his hiatus he can throw his insight into this and the revisit of the damage generation thread. Still so much slated and left undone for Barbs, hopefully they will roll up in priority 'soon'.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 07:49 PM CDT

>>I think MUs need more restrictions, I think sorcery is too potent.

A cleric using RW or a Bard using TW isn't Sorcery.

My point wasn't that you could access them through using other guild's spells but through native means.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/20/2016 08:35 PM CDT

I'm not under the impression that it's a new buff for Rangers, I'm just remarking that I think it's kind of a bummer how easy MUs by in large have it when it comes to buffing all the things. I had a longer response typed up, but this is all off topic, as my contention here is that I think Sorcery is OP, which is not a new thought nor one really affected by Oath of the Firtborn. Yes, given that +WeaponSkill buffs seem to be taking the route of also buffing the weapon held in the lefthand, please consider updating Dragon to match.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 12:49 AM CDT
<<Yes, given that +WeaponSkill buffs seem to be taking the route of also buffing the weapon held in the lefthand, please consider updating Dragon to match.

A single spell does not a trend make, although I do agree that Dragon getting this addition would be in line with the Barbarian guild.

<<Got my wires crossed. Invoked scrolls still represent access to the buff, and it is easily accessible to all MUs accordingly. If you want to call that whining, thats your prerogative.

I was just pointing out your misconception with that, nothing more.

<<So, yeah, really, MUs sure do seem to have encroached on almost everything Barbs have

This is where the GvG whining was.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 04:31 PM CDT
"This is where the GvG whining was."

Absolon - I respect you as a person and a player but this comment chaps my backside.

So how, exactly, else are barbarians supposed to address shortcoming is the guild? In a vaccuum? Without knowledge or explanation of other guilds abilities?

There is no way to talk about "balance" without talking about other guilds. The knee jerk (not yours but in general) reaction to say that it is "GVG whining" is insulting. It isn't "whining". Really, whining? No, it is pointing out inconsistencies in application of the system based on the "rules" and guild lore in play.

I appreciate, and can respect, that those of us who have played for years get tired of GvG whining, but in this case I haven't ready any posts doing that...so why even bring it up?

Respectfully,

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 05:28 PM CDT
<<Man, everyone gets weapon buffs eh.
<<MUs sure do seem to have encroached on almost everything Barbs have

This is not discussing abilities. It is literally just whining.

<< We had asked about something similar, since whirl has a quite limited effectiveness as it stands, and seeing this release just made me think the concept could be revisited.

This is an example of not whining. More posts like this please.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 05:39 PM CDT
I didn't read anything he said as whining.

>>So how, exactly, else are barbarians supposed to address shortcoming is the guild? In a vaccuum? Without knowledge or explanation of other guilds abilities?

There is no way to talk about "balance" without talking about other guilds. <<

I 100% agree with these statements.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 05:53 PM CDT
<<I 100% agree with these statements.

I also agree, as exhibited by the good example I pointed out illustrating how to effectively talk about other guild abilities in context of your own guild's abilities.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 06:46 PM CDT
I know you agree. And I am glad we agree. I agree to agree with your agreement.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 07:26 PM CDT
I disagree.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 07:56 PM CDT
Now you're just whining.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/21/2016 08:21 PM CDT

No, it's ok - I post too frequently and whine too often, so pointing out an issue I saw with Barbarian abilities was just GvG whining. I'm being completely passive aggressive here. That other comment, the one that made sense, I totally haven't also said that.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Nudge:: 07/21/2016 09:17 PM CDT
Please try to stay on topic instead of engaging in personal attacks.

Thanks,
Adilea

If you have a question about the forums, please e-mail me (mod-adilea@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Helje (dr-helje@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (dr-annwyl@play.net).
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 02/02/2017 02:42 AM CST
Sorry, didn't mean to Necro this months-old thread, but I was going to post a new thread suggesting Dragon Dance accommodate two weapon buffs at once since I'm a big fan of dual whirl.

Seems from the previous thread OftF does and DD doesn't. Don't much care about that, I just think it would be cool if DD did allow for offhand shenanigans, and it fits right into the Barbarian wheelhouse.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/25/2017 03:06 PM CDT
Well we could keep pulling each others panties over semantics or we can all agree it's Hammerfist fault and move toward solutions to the problem. Personally i feel it's a small issue that should be easy enough to change. All this time the elephant in the room is starting to get hungry and needs some attention. Barbarians have no damage doing ability. Which seems odd to me being they are a weapon prime, front line guild.
Off topic sorry.

Hamma
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon 07/25/2017 04:47 PM CDT
Haha, a NMU guild having something as good as a MU guild, don't be silly.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 07/25/2017 09:50 PM CDT
Again, please stay on topic. Thank you.

Iristi
DragonRealms Board Monitor

Any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Iristi@play.net or Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 07/30/2017 04:32 PM CDT
I posted a suggestion that Dragon should act like Eagle in another thread, meaning... Eagle buffs ALL ranged weapons so why doesn't Dragon act the same way? If Dragon just buffed all melee/pole weapon skills then it wouldn't matter what hand you held the weapon in. "Simple" solution to a silly problem for offhand melee weapon use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 07/30/2017 08:35 PM CDT

>>> I posted a suggestion that Dragon should act like Eagle in another thread

This would be amazing. I almost always dual wield, and this would help a lot.
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 07/31/2017 07:28 AM CDT
>>suggestion that Dragon should act like Eagle in another thread, meaning... Eagle buffs ALL ranged weapons so why doesn't Dragon act the same way? If Dragon just buffed all melee/pole weapon skills then it wouldn't matter what hand you held the weapon in. "Simple" solution to a silly problem for offhand melee weapon use.

I recall when the big changeover was done, this was requested. The answer was something..something..too many buffs at once which is why the melee boosters (Dragon, Righteous Wrath, etc) are all pulsing, self updating type buffs. While I agree it would be a bit easier to utilize if it boosted them all, I suspect there's a tech reason behind it not doing so.

Samsaren
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 07/31/2017 06:27 PM CDT
>I suspect there's a tech reason behind it not doing so.

I sorta figured this to be the case too. Awe shucks! Thanks for the insight.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 08/02/2017 05:41 AM CDT
Why not just make Dragon do a check for if there is a weapon in the offhand or not. If so, make it buff offhand and that weapon, as well. Currently, it checks what weapon is in the right hand, so I can't see why this would be unreasonable or difficult to add.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/23/2017 07:49 PM CST
I'm not sure I could swing allowing Dragon Dance to boost a second, offhand weapon, without increasing its slot cost. Other options include -

* add this effect as a 1-slot Mastery

* add a new form that boosts Offhand and a second weapon skill

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 03:01 AM CST
I would opt for it to be a mastery - forms are our tightest ability set, by far.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 05:01 AM CST
I would opt for the form to go up in cost a point to allow offhand to be boosted. Masteries are too expensive.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 05:35 AM CST
The more I think of it, the less I like the idea of it being linked to dragon or a mastery. I really wish you could rework the Inner Fire system to start with the passive regen cap at 50% without Powermonger and 100% with Powermonger. After 5 years of this system, I am not seeing any value in a useless giant right hand side of /. I'd also like to see us be able to stack more abilities like MUs. Please open up how much stuff we can run.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 12:15 PM CST
I think that boosting the offhand weapon should be included in the dragon form, at no extra cost. Just make it based of expertise.

(I realize using expertise has been the theme of my last few posts, but just trying to make it a useful skill, other than tdps.)
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 04:45 PM CST
>>Masteries are too expensive.

>> Kodius - proposed a 1 slot mastery.

So that should be cheap?

>>I think that boosting the offhand weapon should be included in the dragon form, at no extra cost

Slot costs are based on a universal formula that is shared with MUs and NMUs. It changes periodically and so I go through and spend a few weeks updating all the abilities, but we do try very hard to keep everything in lockstep.

In this case, each skill boosted is generally a cost of 1-slot. So boosting Offhand and the second weapon skill would increase the cost by 2 slots, but I might be able to argue that Offhand is bad enough to ignore.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/24/2017 06:32 PM CST
>>So that should be cheap? <<

Sorry, I was scrambling to work and missed that bullet point. 1 POINT MASTERY SOUNDS GOOD!

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/27/2017 02:10 AM CST
I don't get this quite fully. So if Eagle boosts all ranged weapon skills, no matter what hand they are used in (thrown can be off hand) why would making Dragon boost all melee weapon skills, no matter what hand they are used in, need to change? FORM EAGLE. EXP MODS. All ranged weapons. FORM DRAGON. EXP MODS. Only the weapon in your right hand.

Re: Oath of the Firstborn vs Dragon ::Second Nudge:: 12/27/2017 08:20 AM CST
You can’t dual wield a crossbow and a sling like you can different melee weapons.

They literally just opted to not add a widget to buffer what eagle is boosting, probably for the sake of “this situation is impossible so why put the effort into addressing it”

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Prev_page Previous 1