Questions about Piranha and Monkey 10/02/2015 05:28 PM CDT
So I left just before dances were changed to form, the introduction of the inner fire skill, etc., and I've only recently returned. Bows are my second weapon skill to level, but I've found it a little more difficult to train at level with them because I get tagged fairly well at melee and it takes a shot or two longer to kill things due to the retreat penalty.

My question is would it be better to use Piranha (evasion+) or Monkey (reflex+) to hunt at level, to better be able to evade attacks while using a stick bow? With an inner fire skill of 183 I don't maintain two forms for very long, and my augmentation is 161, so I don't imagine I'm getting a maximum bonus from either Piranha or Monkey. So with the way the various systems stand now, is the evasion skill bonus from Piranha better than the reflex bonus from Monkey? I have a reflex of 36 and evasion of 325 if that helps any.

Thanks in advance,

Akiren
Re: Questions about Piranha and Monkey 10/02/2015 05:44 PM CDT
<< Bows are my second weapon skill to level, but I've found it a little more difficult to train at level with them because I get tagged fairly well at melee and it takes a shot or two longer to kill things due to the retreat penalty.

If you haven't tried already then wear a shield on your arm and use a shield-based stance and you should be fine to use a bow at melee. I suspect the reason you're getting hit more is that you're attempting to use parry to at least some degree, and your parrying is completely ignored when wielding a missile weapon.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Questions about Piranha and Monkey 10/02/2015 07:20 PM CDT
>So with the way the various systems stand now, is the evasion skill bonus from Piranha better than the reflex bonus from Monkey?

While I do agree 100% with what Absolon said I think this might help you to better understand the difference between a reflex buff and an evasion buff.

Evasion: Takes overall hindrance (armor + shield) and this value penalizes the stat bonus to evasion skill by a large amount, and evasion skill by a smaller amount.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Shield_Hindrance_-_02/23/2013_-_01:54

>I have a reflex of 36 and evasion of 325 if that helps any.
IMO your hindrance level in armor is worth more to me than stats and skills.

>because I get tagged fairly well at melee

I have a character that started Ratha celps with 23 reflex and have even taken him to juvies at 33 reflex (granted he did have to leave after getting hit while webbed)

So my advice would be follow Absolon's suggestion and then top that off with some testing to find out just how hindrance is effecting you.
Re: Questions about Piranha and Monkey 10/03/2015 12:05 PM CDT
Here's what I did when I started back playing, being in a similar boat as you.

Get a small shield, doesn't have to be much of anything special at all, and arm wear it. Barbarians get no penalty for arm wearing a small shield and using ranged. Also, small shield protect 100% at melee
Always have Piranha up no matter what weapon you are using. That means you need two forms Dragon/Eagle and Piranha
Use berserks sparingly at first until your IF gets bigger. I'd suggest famine when you get hurt and nothing else if you can't hold up your fire
Use Contemplation, you take a IF hit when it's started but there is no "over time" IF use for medidations. The armor bonus will help with protection and directly reduces hit damage
Use Tenacity (see Contemplation above) as it gives a nice bit of protection. You'll still get hurt but not take as many wounds which adds up especially if you can berserk famine sometimes
Never, ever retreat with a bow. Use it at melee. It'll keep you from taking the retreat penalty.
Take one roar, only one, and use it often to train debilitation. The IF hit is pretty low for low level roars. If you have enough ability points I'd skip all low level roars and take Wail of Torment as your only roar but if you don't have enough Anger the Earth is good. I'd make sure it wasn't one of the requirements to get other abilities in the Horde tree so that you can "forget" it later and pick up Wail of Torment.

If you don't have these abilities take advantage of the ability reset now and get them.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!