Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 12:58 AM CDT

Might want to take a look at Swan form, our trees, and low circle people. Using scripts I can move warding fine with research, but, new players hitting the 140ish range (could be a bit less, just going off what I'm at now) are going to have issues. At 148 warding, Swan doesn't move my warding in the slightest bit. My barb is 27th so there's not a lot of options with the way our trees are set up, picked up Serenity, for now, for when I'm not in combat and not scripting but it drains a lot of IF. Research works great when it's scripted, if not scripted then it's on the annoying side (not your fault Kodi, I know, you gotta do what the man tells ya to do).
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 01:36 AM CDT
Swan is an easy ability. It will not train forever... MEDITATE RESEARCH can always be used to keep things moving, and if you want to specialize in Warding then I recommend Tenacity or Serenity or Bastion or Toad. Plenty of options!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 05:43 AM CDT

As I said, I can move it fine with research, but new players, trying to juggle our tree very well could get pretty frustrated. Just a thought was all. Serenity and Bastion aren't great for training (having to sit down and all), that leaves toad which would mean backing totally out of one tree to go pick it up.

Warding: 149 30% (32/34) +0.91
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 03:26 PM CDT
>>As I said, I can move it fine with research, but new players, trying to juggle our tree very well could get pretty frustrated. Just a thought was all. Serenity and Bastion aren't great for training (having to sit down and all), that leaves toad which would mean backing totally out of one tree to go pick it up.

Or Tenacity or Turtle... And nothing says you must train Warding. It is an optional skill. Much like spells, there is only so much coverage we can provide. Probably need to add a Warding Berserk or two at some point and that will help a bit.

Making Swan so hard it is impossible to use at low circles is also likely to upset new players. Not sure what the solution is there.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 05:13 PM CDT
I'm not a huge barbarian yet, only 35th. I've never used anything but swan to train warding so far, might have to change it up as I progress but so far it works perfectly fine, I like to lock it up before I go hunting then research after every couple of kills, keeps it flowing easily.
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 07:52 PM CDT
As much as I dislike meditations, they ARE good training methods, and dropping out of combat for 30 seconds every /0 minutes isn't a huge deal.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 09:11 PM CDT
Maybe this isn't intended:

Using form Swan with 526 warding.

Put up swan, wait 70 seconds gain 3 mindstates
Put up bear, wait the same 70 seconds learn equal amounts of augmentation
Do mediate research swan wait a few seconds gain 2 mindstates
Mediate research tenacity and serenity both gain 2 mindstates even though they are diffferent tiers.
Repeat and IF, Aug, and warding are locked in about 10 minutes and forget about it for a couple of hours because it takes that long to drain.

I have no idea when swan will stop training.
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 10:35 PM CDT
Doesn't sound too different than if you were chain-casting spells to train in that time period? Magic is a tertiary skill, and will naturally mind lock a little faster than a mage powerwalking/casting...

You'll also have to move on to using more difficult abilities as you increase in skill.

Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 11:09 PM CDT
Does the ability you use MEDITATE RESEARCH on affect the experience gained (not type but amount) at all?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/12/2014 11:57 PM CDT

Out of curiosity with the complete barb ability redo what was the reasoning behind giving barbs so little in the "magic" skills that now drive our abilities? I've gotten over being upset about it shortly after coming back. They are almost caught up with my other skills now that I understand more about how they work, but I've always wondered since I came back.
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 05:28 AM CDT
I think being tertiary in magic, we just have low circle reqs in that skill set.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 05:39 AM CDT
Apparently something happened to my experience plug in, started noticing other things that were being goofy, deleted/reinstalled and swan is in fact giving experience (too hard to type "exp", couldn't bring myself to do it). Can we delete the thread and pretend it never happened?
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 09:27 AM CDT
>Out of curiosity with the complete barb ability redo what was the reasoning behind giving barbs so little in the "magic" skills that now drive our abilities?

Two reasons:

1) We're magic tert, we're going to have to live with it.
2) Barbarian abilities don't scale with skill like magic. First they cap power, then they cap duration. So in many ways, less skill is less painful, but more skill is less useful.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 02:41 PM CDT
>>2) Barbarian abilities don't scale with skill like magic. First they cap power, then they cap duration. So in many ways, less skill is less painful, but more skill is less useful.

Spells aren't terribly dissimilar, mages just add mana instead of raw rankage. On the other hand, there's no Fire analog to cambrinth either. Bearing in mind I'm a whopping 2 days in, but so far the extreme low end for barbs seems fairly friendly. My big concern was Fire usage/training and expertise, but both are going pretty well.

Samsaren
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 02:46 PM CDT
>>Spells aren't terribly dissimilar, mages just add mana instead of raw rankage.

Spells grow on a different curve than Barbarian abilities. Both Potency and Duration are pretty dissimilar to how Barbarian abilities grow.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 05:21 PM CDT
And Mages do have the ability to control various aspects of spells through spell stances and mana contributions. They're similar but mages definitely have a more flexible system. And I say that as someone who plays a thief/barb, not a magic user.

Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 06:47 PM CDT
<<Spells grow on a different curve than Barbarian abilities. Both Potency and Duration are pretty dissimilar to how Barbarian abilities grow.>>

Ok, I'll bite since I'm young stupid barb--how do barb abilities grow in potency and duration? And having asked that, are there any stats that can contribute to our abilities?

Oh and would someone please poke Olwydd to update his circle calculator or point me to an updated one? I know I only have to train expertise and just 2 weapons, but I like to see how far ahead I am in training per circle.

Thanks. And uh in case I didn't express thanks, thanks to all the GMs but especially Kodius for all the work. Thanks is too feeble to say but I hope I will be able to show how much thanks I have by playing my barb to the every end.

Shinarah
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 08:01 PM CDT
>Ok, I'll bite since I'm young stupid barb--how do barb abilities grow in potency and duration? And having asked that, are there any stats that can contribute to our abilities?

It's already been said in this thread, not more than 5 posts back. I'm not looking it up for you (again).

>Oh and would someone please poke Olwydd to update his circle calculator or point me to an updated one? I know I only have to train expertise and just 2 weapons, but I like to see how far ahead I am in training per circle.

Elanthipedia hosts the static values. You can figure it out from there. Or you can splurge on Genie and have the calculator app.

Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 10:36 PM CDT
A Basic Form might take 300 IF ranks to cap the IF passive-regen limit reduction, and 400 ranks to cap the pulse reduction. Then 200 ranks to cap the potency from Aug skill and 400 ranks to cap the duration from Aug skill.

An Esoteric ability might take 500/1200 IF skill and 500/12000 Aug skill.

I think the hardest abilities are Berserk Volcano and Tsunami, both taking 1500 ranks to cap the duration on.

Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/13/2014 11:21 PM CDT

I was just about to ask how the caps on our abilities worked.
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/14/2014 05:52 PM CDT
Thank you, Kodius, for answering my question. That was exactly the info I was after. ::glares at Kroonermanrevenge::

Now as for circle calculators, I am hoping someone will take the initiative and either ask Olwydd for his calculator and update or make one. They are way too useful to let "die". And I'm not the only one who uses them so please don't be snarky to me.

Shinarah
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/15/2014 12:34 PM CDT
Just curious, is there a min power on the various forms/meds/berserks for lower circle, or are they facing the potential 20% max of their mighty ranks? Hoping there's a min value before the %s kick in.

Samsaren
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/15/2014 09:14 PM CDT
I don't know offhand. They use the same Buffing Core that all abilities and magic use, so you aren't gaining/losing in comparison to everyone else in the game at least :P I suspect there is a minimum 10 rank bonus provided you have at least 1 rank in that skill.

Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/16/2014 12:13 AM CDT
There is an engine bug right now preventing the minimum 10 ranks from applying so below 5 ranks of skill bonues doesnt work and low rank bonuses may be under 10 ranks when they shouldn't be.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Form changes and Lower Circles 05/16/2014 06:27 AM CDT
Ah good, thanks guys.

Samsaren