Piranha 02/25/2013 05:38 AM CST

I recently reopened by Barb's account. Weapons seemed to be slowing in Grypons so I took him to dragonpriest purifiers. I started the form Piranha, for the balance boost to counter their spell.

My character has 410 in Evasion, 399 in Shield and 400 in Parry. He got smacked around like a weak sissy. I didn't notice the boost doing much of anything.

I know that critters changed, and perhaps purifiers' ranged of teaching changed, but the boost itself did (or seemed to do) next to nothing.

I liked all the choices. His roars did affect gryphons (didn't try them of Purifiers, but is this (Dance seeming lackluster) because his agumentation is sub 200? (that's where he was grandfathered in at), and it'll get better?
Re: Piranha 02/25/2013 07:28 AM CST
I'd try piranha and monkey together, and maybe throw up a tornado. Piranha leaps with balance and agility.

- Buuwl
Re: Piranha 02/25/2013 12:12 PM CST
Eh, I need to update that ability. The balance boost was removed when we adjusted down the slot cost.

The dance is likely not capping out with that much Augmentation, but you should try using Python, meditation Contemplation and Piranha in tandem for a really good defense. If the spell is the problem then swap Python for Tornado berserk.

I don't know where Purifiers are off hand. They may be more a 500-skill level of critter.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Piranha 02/25/2013 10:18 PM CST
>Eh, I need to update that ability. The balance boost was removed when we adjusted down the slot cost.

I just tested, and it costs 2 slots. I'll be the first to admit, I've only briefly glanced over the cost rules, but isn't 2 slots a lot for a simple evasion boost?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Piranha 02/25/2013 10:22 PM CST
>>I just tested, and it costs 2 slots. I'll be the first to admit, I've only briefly glanced over the cost rules, but isn't 2 slots a lot for a simple evasion boost?

Off the top of my head, Instinct costs 1 and Major Physical Protection 2, though MaPP does defending as well.
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 05:15 AM CST

Is there a way to forget abilities during the test period?
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 08:37 AM CST
>>Is there a way to forget abilities during the test period?

Ask <guildleader> and unlearning <whatever>
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 09:25 AM CST
>> Off the top of my head, Instinct costs 1 and Major Physical Protection 2, though MaPP does defending as well.

Philosopher's Preservation is two slots, boosts evasion and reflex.
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 03:05 PM CST
Looks like piranha should cost 1 slot, or have the balance boost added back.
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 07:29 PM CST
The balance boost sounds like the better deal IMO.
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 07:49 PM CST
Balance is pretty easy to maintain. Really I'd rather Monkey form be rolled into it and the slot costed kept at 2 (or even 3 if necessary) and something else made to replace Monkey.
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 09:25 PM CST
Yeah like a balance boost would be good.

Its fun to berserk and SLICE CHOP SLICE CHOP RAARRR
Re: Piranha 02/26/2013 09:29 PM CST
nbd really draw isnt too bad cept for it implies the ability to think at the time lol
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 07:38 PM CST
The only reason I use(d) Piranha is because of the balance boost... Little did I know it's not going to anymore?

Imo, scrap the evade completely in favour of the balance. That sounds good, yes. Yes it does. I'd hate to lose our only balance booster.

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 08:02 PM CST
Hmm, well it is two slots. I could probably add it back in. Let me give it some thought.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 08:53 PM CST
>> Imo, scrap the evade completely in favour of the balance. That sounds good, yes. Yes it does. I'd hate to lose our only balance booster.

Contemplation and Piranha currently do the same thing and don't stack. Adding a balance boost to Piranha without changing Contemplation would render Contemplation effectively useless. Throwing away our ability to buff Evasion completely, in exchange for a balance boost would be absolutely ridiculous, if that's what you were implying.

Before a balance buff should be considered, these buffs need to not do the same thing IMO.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 09:08 PM CST
>Contemplation and Piranha currently do the same thing and don't stack.

>Throwing away our ability to buff Evasion completely

Something is not adding up here.
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 09:21 PM CST
Oh wait I see what you were getting at. Not to be a jerk but I have a tendency to be completely confused by tangents of that nature. I thought it was obvious he was talking about piranha form and not meditation contemplation. Are you sure they do the same thing? I thought contemplation was a boost to the defending skill, even though they might result in the same effect, I suppose.
Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 09:41 PM CST
Currently Piranha and Contemplation both boost Evasion, through a mistake when I originally coded them up. The code lied to me, and Contemplation never ended up boosting overall defense score like I thought it would. I'd like for Contemplation to boost defense score (in essence boosting all 3 defenses, though by 1/3rd the amount than 1 singly). That may be difficult to code, however.

Re: Piranha 02/27/2013 10:44 PM CST
would that then stack with the other defenses? What if it boosted armor, would that be like a general defensive bonus? not even sure if that makes sense though just throwing it out there

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Piranha 02/28/2013 12:45 AM CST
Well that explains why stance parry/shield wasn't working as well for me when I had contemplation up.

If / when you update contemplation, I think it would be great if it boosted defenses proportional to how they're stanced. So if you're stanced parry 100 / shield 80, then parry would get 55.6% of the boost and shield would get 44.4%. That way you're not penalized for using two defenses.
Re: Piranha 02/28/2013 12:54 AM CST
If its a DF buff, it shouldn't care how you're stanced since it would be bonused after the game weighs your effective defense.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Piranha 02/28/2013 01:42 AM CST
Yeah, I got caught up on the 1/3 part. If it's a buff to the final DF, then it all works out.