Badger Dance 04/02/2011 11:14 AM CDT
I have just obtained Badger Dance on my young Barb and I'm wondering if it is worth using right away. I have heard that dances are more powerful at higher circles and I am wondering if Badger would benefit me more at this point than berserking.

I'm a little afraid to test it because dancing with multiple critters at level tends to be a losing proposition for me unless I'm berserking and if Badger doesn't end up contributing much, I would probably be a goner.

So, what could I expect from Badger right now, and when does it really start to shine?
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 11:44 AM CDT
From what I gleaned in reading the Dancing and Berserking folders, 50+ circles before Dancing starts to shine over Berserks.
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 12:13 PM CDT
>>From what I gleaned in reading the Dancing and Berserking folders, 50+ circles before Dancing starts to shine over Berserks.

Something like this, but every Barb is different. To the OP: I'd suggest doing exactly what you want to avoid doing.

Dying a few times is worth knowing your own abilities. I know I'll be testing all my abilities when the rewrite is released.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 02:26 PM CDT
My character is around 70th and berserks are still very effective and I use them almost exclusively over dances at melee. A normal character should see berserks drop off around 50th or earlier assuming equal stat increases, I agree. I am currently saving up about 1500 tdp's to bring discipline up to speed in one big shot in preparation of the rewrite. I expect the dances to surpass my berserks after that, but I don't expect to be more effective as a tank character(primarily because of stun breaking), which should be restored in some measure with the right ability choices after the rewrite.
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 02:33 PM CDT
I still don't use berserks, haven't really since the zerk break. I'll use dances to enhance the learning rate of training but won't over hunt with them though.

Just another point to do what you feel is best. Some use zerks exclusively while some only use dances and a few don't use any. Try them all and see what your play style is.

I'm more entertained and use roars more often than anything else.
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 04:02 PM CDT
I've been using dances exclusively since about 55th.
Started with badger, since it was all that was keeping me from being torn to shreds. As my defenses improved, I was able to switch over to only using eagle for the ranged boost. I had 40 discipline at the time.

On a side note, I haven't seen any real difference between 40 disc and 70 disc with berserk stone. At the most, I've lost maybe a couple minutes tops. I haven't run any tests to check for potency decreases, though, so there could be something I'm not seeing.
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 04:33 PM CDT
What Vinjince said, just test it out and see is the best way.

I'm with you though, I used berserks to pretty high circles (I really liked Grave), not sure where I switched over but I am using eagle/cobra now for my primary buffs at circle 100. I guess primarily these two because I don't need defenses buffs at this time and if I use them it normally just makes me have to stance down to train defenses

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 09:05 PM CDT
Badger Dance is my favorite dance to use in regular combat, as the MO/defense boost is really, really good. At ~40th or so, you can dance it 24/7, which will let you move up the critter ladder faster than without.

I really don't care for the restrictions that come with using berserks, but that is more of a personal preference than anything else. Plus, assuming you can outlast a stun, you can stop the dance and go into a berserk if you need that extra boost to get out of dodge.

>I am currently saving up about 1500 tdp's to bring discipline up to speed in one big shot in preparation of the rewrite.

There isn't a need to do this, as there will be a stat-wipe after the changes and you can reapply the TDPs where you like.
Re: Badger Dance 04/02/2011 09:37 PM CDT
>There isn't a need to do this, as there will be a stat-wipe after the changes and you can reapply the TDPs where you like.

yeah, I vaguely remembered that after I posted, figured someone would call me on it. Another reason I am doing it is to become less vulnerable to will vs will contests, but there is a chance I may apply them to some other combination of wisdom/intel/charisma when the time comes and just roll with berserks and roars until the rewrite is rolled out.

Accumulating 1500 tdps will give me some time to think about it :)