Wow 05/04/2010 10:13 PM CDT
I have to admit, I was never all that impressed with Dragon Dance.

Until I had to make the jump from baby celps to bigger ones. Wow, does it make life easier.

Wowwy wow wow whoo.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Wow 05/04/2010 10:40 PM CDT
Funny thing about it is... the stronger you get, the better it will get.

That is until they nerf it.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 05:44 AM CDT
<<Until I had to make the jump from baby celps to bigger ones.>>

Derail: If by bigger celps you mean super celpeze, I found them to be far worse for training than juvie dillos. On top of the overcrowding they tend to hit harder, die too easily, and don't train escaping. If you haven't tried dillos yet you should give them a shot.

This isn't HuggleFurSnuggleKissySmoochRealms.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 05:53 AM CDT
Dragon Dance has been nerfed any number of times and is still WOW. The great thing is, it is TOTALLY within global caps. This should be kept in mind when designing the new dance/berserk/meditations and their stacking. You should be able to get to this level of enhancement with enough time to use it at this level for 15+ minutes. Just like dragon dance is now.

Remember, this coming change is NOT a reduction in our abilities, it is just to give us flexability in applying them. And of course to give us MORE! MUCH MORE!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 11:21 AM CDT
>The great thing is, it is TOTALLY within global caps.

That really is great.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 11:50 AM CDT
I hardly ever use dragon dance anymore. Mostly it's badger dance for just melee hunting.

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 12:54 PM CDT
Drevid, I left my agil and reflexs WAY behind my other stats. I am in the process of changing that, much as I dislike moving away from the "way of the Dwarf". The boost of 8+ agil and reflex do me MUCH good.

______
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 03:29 PM CDT
Dragon's good for over hunting, invasions, and PvP. Outside of that, it never gets used by me. Good boosts, just not worth it. Can't dance it forever like every other dance.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 03:49 PM CDT
>>Can't dance it forever like every other dance.

You might not be able to but it's possible.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 04:14 PM CDT
I hear that characters with light-colored skin have more trouble dancing. Can anyone confirm this?

>describe boar
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 04:25 PM CDT
Sure it's possible, if over hunting and high discipline, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 04:39 PM CDT
>Sure it's possible, if over hunting and high discipline, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

I'm not sure I follow, what is the downside to using your best buff 24/7? You reach the endgame too quickly?

>describe boar
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 04:42 PM CDT
>>Sure it's possible, if over hunting and high discipline, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

I'm not over hunting, I don't even think that's possible since i'm about 50 ranks from capping dillos in my main weapons.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 04:55 PM CDT
It's not the best buff for every situation. I'd use eagle for stick bow training, panther for stealths. Being the best overall buff doesn't necessarily equate to being the best buff for every situation.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 06:18 PM CDT
>>The great thing is, it is TOTALLY within global caps.

>That really is great.

hehe
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 06:27 PM CDT
Guys, stay constructive or end it.

Thank you.

Svafa

___
Any questions or comments, please contact me at Mod-Svafa@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 07:26 PM CDT
>It's not the best buff for every situation. I'd use eagle for stick bow training, panther for stealths. Being the best overall buff doesn't necessarily equate to being the best buff for every situation.

Of course. But the post I was quoting seemed to imply that there was some downside to back-to-back dragon dancing.

>describe boar
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 07:55 PM CDT
Yeah, didn't mean it that way. Just meant I'll switch frequently depending on what I'm training and starting and stopping dragon will kill my IF. I can do it all day with eagle, panther and the lower ones.
Re: Wow 05/05/2010 08:04 PM CDT
>I hear that characters with light-colored skin have more trouble dancing. Can anyone confirm this?

LOL.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 05:19 AM CDT
You are Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss, a Dwarf.
You have deep-set stormy grey eyes and a broken nose. Your bright orange-streaked golden brown hair is shoulder length and thick, and is worn arranged in oiled spikes. You have copper skin and a brawny build.

COPPER Skin and I dance ALL the time.

______
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 07:32 AM CDT
The typical dragon dance thread. Oh well, not like any other discussion are going on in here.

So...does dragon dance break global caps on individual stats\ranks or is it just the magic resistance part?

To join in with others, I rarely use it...mostly just for PvP.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 08:23 AM CDT
>>So...does dragon dance break global caps on individual stats\ranks or is it just the magic resistance part?

Given that the individual dances have higher boosts for their respective skills (i.e. Eagle's ranged is higher than Dragon's) I doubt any individual boost applied by Dragon causes issues with global caps besides what it does to BMR. However, the fact that it bonuses dozens and dozens of things all at once might indeed be an issue.

I wouldn't expect to be able to achieve the exact same result (i.e. bonusing anything and everything near the cap of what's allowed) once dances are rewritten, but I personally would gladly sacrifice current Dragon for a lot more versatility.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 10:36 AM CDT
>So...does dragon dance break global caps on individual stats\ranks or is it just the magic resistance part?

I think it's important to keep in mind that the term "global caps" is a bit of a misnomer to begin with. There's no actual mechanic to impose a global cap if an ability exceeds it. As an example, I offer the offensive debuff bug. It can be triggered a few different ways, including a bugged fear effect and renewing the offensive cleric commune. When it is in effect, all attacks can be reduced to 0 skill for hours. If there was any kind of global cap on a debuff it would kick in and say -195% offensive skill is too high.

But having a cap on a buff makes sense. The problem is, the cap was never really well defined. Some buffs are straight rank buffs, while others are percentage-based. The percentage-based ones blow away the rank based buffs in the endgame, but still fall under the supposed cap.

Historically, there's also been an issue of GMs that were too generous with their own guild abilities. The barbarian guild in particular was notorious for this, but is not the only example. So if the cap was 100 ranks or a 10% buff PER skill, you create a buff that is at that cap for as many skills as possible.

Now, if you compare dragon dance to any individual spell, it blows it away. However, the counterpoint is that there's almost no limit to the amount of spells and CJs that a mage can have active at once. The counter-counter point is that it isn't practical to keep 15 different spells from different guilds up at once. But the point is, you can't really directly compare one guild ability to another. How can you equate attunement loss from spell casting with IF loss from dancing?

This isn't to say that effort shouldn't be made in bringing abilities in line with one another. You just need to remember that right now global caps exist in theory only. And talking about caps isn't nearly as productive as talking about balance, in my opinion.

Dragon dance presents its own development challenge to the barbarian guild as well, since it trumps all lesser abilities, which is why the rewrite will happen some day.

>describe boar
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 11:00 AM CDT
>>It can be triggered a few different ways, including ... renewing the offensive cleric commune. When it is in effect, all attacks can be reduced to 0 skill for hours.

Yeah that sucked :( and on a bit of a tangent Greujva said that it can happen with the defensive commune as well, pushing your defenses down to 0. Thank goodness I wasn't using that one as well.
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 12:23 PM CDT
I'm just going to repeat what GMs have said.

The problem with dragon dance isn't the amount that it boosts, its the sheer quantity of stuff that it boosts.

Other abilities can boost individual stuff slightly higher (albeit not much higher). But its the fact that dragon dance boosts just about every combat skill including things that aren't even coded into the system yet. Its also lackluster when its first available, but becomes rather insane on the deep end of skills.

The whole system needs a rewrite to properly function in order for it to be brought in line with the rest of Dragonrealms.

Thief Khri is a good example of this, before it was one Khri up at a time with some given multiple boosters, now its multiple khri with each having its unique affect that supplement eachother.

Berserks do this on the lower end, and it works rather well.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 12:47 PM CDT
>>Berserks do this on the lower end, and it works rather well.

Actually, berserks break down at higher levels too...

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 01:24 PM CDT
<<Other abilities can boost individual stuff slightly higher (albeit not much higher). >>

REALLY? Dragon dance boost stam, strenght, agil and reflexes 8 or 9 each. Bear boosts stam and strenght 18 or so and Panther boost reflex and agil 15 each. I have tested these a while ago with a mirror blade and pounding in a forge.

Zero RT in the forge requires a 70 strenght. So pound without dancing, check rt, dance and the pound again (both with full stamia) and the difference is the boost of the dance.

A mirror blade improves ever 20 in a stat agil and strenght. So as you train up you can app dance and app again and see what the boost is, just takes a number of trainings to get the number here.

______
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 01:25 PM CDT
sorry for the double post.. reflex and agil are also 18 ish each.

______
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 01:54 PM CDT
>>REALLY? Dragon dance boost stam, strenght, agil and reflexes 8 or 9 each.

Skills, not necessarily stats. Some of the khri have higher boosts, for example, but are often one-shot or whatever.

-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Wow 05/06/2010 04:35 PM CDT
>>I wouldn't expect to be able to achieve the exact same result (i.e. bonusing anything and everything near the cap of what's allowed) once dances are rewritten, but I personally would gladly sacrifice current Dragon for a lot more versatility.

Just wanted to quote this.

A lot of people probably won't feel the change to Dragon since we don't need every single boost it provides with each use anyway. When I use Dragon in an invasion, do you think I care about the parry boost? The multi boost? The melee weapon boost? The only time I use Dragon while hunting is melee combat... at that time I couldn't care less about a ranged weapon boost, MR boost, or the shield boost.

Every single time I use Dragon there are buffs that I could do without, so I'm sure the change won't be that bad especially since we'll be more versatile with the rewrite anyway. Perception and evasion boost, I'll love it.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha