Panther 04/02/2010 01:32 PM CDT
I might be having a stat problem with this dance but it's not really boosting me at all that I can see. Was really excited about this one as I hoped it would cover the stealth deficit between vipers and leucros that I was experiencing.

I still have to nude up to hide on leucros though and even while dancing they point me out just as easily as they always have.

Discipline : 29 Wisdom : 22
Intelligence : 23 Stamina : 25

Concentration : 146 Max : 146

This normal?
Re: Panther 04/02/2010 02:47 PM CDT
Panther Dance, like all dances, is a percentage boost. Its stealth bonus is moderate compared to the weapon bonuses provided by Eagle, Cobra, etc. and around the viper/leucro skill level, it's bonus is going to be something like 15 ranks.

I wouldn't expect to be wowed by dances over berserks until about the level of gryphons.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Panther 04/02/2010 04:37 PM CDT
I wouldn't expect dances to produce even a little 'wow' until well past gryphons. They might start to match the standard berserks around that level, but I was better served by the stone+blood+nightmare combo until celpeze.

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Panther 04/02/2010 09:54 PM CDT
>around the viper/leucro skill level, it's bonus is going to be something like 15 ranks

I'm curious how you came up with that random number.
Re: Panther 04/02/2010 10:13 PM CDT
>>I'm curious how you came up with that random number.

The exact bonus levels for the dances are somewhat common knowledge. Check a circle calculator for the skill requirements of the named creatures and apply simple math.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 12:27 AM CDT
<<The exact bonus levels for the dances are somewhat common knowledge>>

Please back this up with a link and proof
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 12:46 AM CDT
>>Please back this up with a link and proof

I've done obscene amounts of testing with Barbarian skills, but I'm not aware of any link which provides exact numbers: I am pretty sure they're an in-game secret or at least PAFO? However, the exact details are mostly known.

As an example of one method used to get this information, mirror blades (only one or two exist in-game still to my knowledge) changed stats (specifically balance and suitedness) based on the wielder's strength and agility, and these changes were visible via appraisal - and the bonus factored in buffs. Grinding roundtimes use a very simple formula, making it easy to determine Bear's strength bonus with this method. If you're curious for stuff like specific numbers, my email is diminishedangel@yahoo.com

I wasn't posting an exact rank - I obviously haven't been given his skills and stats and such - just an approximate estimation. The point was this: if you're trying to use dances to make up for skill deficiencies in the leucro level of skill, you're guaranteed to be sorely disappointed like the OP was.

Just off the top of my head, a bunch of stuff that most Barbarians don't know:
-Berserks give minimal, fixed penalties to perception, hiding, and stalking. They stack if you are using stackable berserks.
-The multi opponent boost from berserks stacks
-Stone Berserk reduces incoming damage a la Minor Physical Protection or Cage of Light; whereas the latter two reduce (IIRC) reduce a percent of the damage, Stone is a flat reduction of points.
-Dancing Panther improves the success rate of Slash the Shadows.
-Empaths cannot be blood-lusted using the Bloodlust roar.

Barbarian abilities are so cool and fun to play with :)

-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 06:56 AM CDT
<<Just off the top of my head, a bunch of stuff that most Barbarians don't know:
-Berserks give minimal, fixed penalties to perception,..>>

this is true. the way i figured that out was knowing that the WISDOM stat gives a bonus to perception. When you berserk, you get a negative to wisdom. Therefore your effective perception goes down.

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: Panther 04/03/2010 12:35 PM CDT
>The exact bonus levels for the dances are somewhat common knowledge. Check a circle calculator for the skill requirements of the named creatures and apply simple math

Are they? Well sweet jeepers. Since my simple math skills are lacking, can you tell me how much of a hiding/stalking boost a south barricade celpeze hunter would receive by dancing panther?

>Berserks give minimal, fixed penalties to perception, hiding, and stalking.

I have yet to see any proof of hiding/stalking being impacted at all by berserks. The "penalty" to perception is due to decreased intelligence and wisdom (the two stats that impact perception). It is not fixed; the amount of intelligence/wisdom lost is dependant upon your discipline.

>Just off the top of my head, a bunch of stuff that most Barbarians don't know

http://phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 12:49 PM CDT
Grinding roundtime is static, I assume you mean pounding. In general, stat buffs are much much easier to test for than exp buffs.

Also, mirror blades aren't that rare. I've got 5 myself.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 12:58 PM CDT
<<Also, mirror blades aren't that rare. I've got 5 myself.

I've never even seen one. :(

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 01:22 PM CDT
Phii bought one at auction last fest, and Leucius uses his mirror axe if ya around Shard. I know there are others that folks keep vaulted, but at a cost of well over 2000 plats, I doubt many would use them often for daily training when you can buy a forged sword for under 50 plat.
Re: Panther 04/03/2010 03:23 PM CDT
I have seen one, that is the same Axe as was mentioned owned by Leucius. I thought they were rare, not unheard of rare. I never thought a single player would amass 5 of them, I hope this is 5 one 5 separate characters, not 5 on one of your characters?

Re: Panther 04/03/2010 03:36 PM CDT
<< I never thought a single player would amass 5 of them, I hope this is 5 one 5 separate characters, not 5 on one of your characters?>>

IIRC it's easier to get stuff like that in TF.

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Panther 04/05/2010 01:08 PM CDT
Thanks for the info. That explains it. =-)
Re: Panther 04/05/2010 05:53 PM CDT
Yeah sorry, I meant pounding.

Item rarity means very little in TF, but regardless mirror blades are a good way of tesing agility buffs.

-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Panther 04/05/2010 08:23 PM CDT
>>Item rarity means very little in TF

I wouldn't say that exactly. JMF spent a good deal of time gathering the oodles of money he has and probably a great deal of time finding the extreme shop multiple times. I'm sure he got at least 1 of them at the extreme shop. Our auctions are kinda funny too because everyone seems to hold out waiting for something better. I got a mirror blade for an insanely low price at the first Halloween fest.
Re: Panther 04/24/2010 11:25 PM CDT
I have a mirror blade, but someone is borrowing it. heh
Panther 05/06/2011 03:24 PM CDT
Finally picked up Panther and I must say this is the best designed dance of all the others before it. I mean by how it was taught. The language, how the master taught it, the way in which is was learned, the verboseness of the script. This is definitely a log I'll need to save. Beautiful!

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Soldier of Ratha
Re: Panther 05/08/2011 12:53 AM CDT
Dragon is pretty cool as well.
Re: Panther 05/09/2011 12:15 AM CDT
>>Dragon

Working on it. Blasted 20 more circles. Grr. :)

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Soldier of Ratha
Re: Panther 05/18/2011 04:37 PM CDT
Less than 5 ranks to go...so...close...

Battle Terror Slaydo
Re: Panther 05/26/2011 04:21 PM CDT
If you liked Panther you'll love Dragon. It epitomizes the entire concept of being a Barbarian.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Panther 05/26/2011 06:10 PM CDT
For a few weeks or months when our new abilities come out. Any word on when for this?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 10:46 AM CDT
For a variety of reasons, work on the Barbarian guild has slowed. Chief amongst these is that a majority of new abilities are finished. This makes the guild pretty much good-to-go once some of the backend guildleader stuff and messaging is ironed out. Other guilds need a lot more work, and so various resources have been shifted to give those attention. The 3.0 updates are massive, and in some areas those are slowing things down as well.

I've used the break to finish weaponsmithing, armorsmithing and mining - all of which are in testing.

Once I'm past the push to release those, I'll be jumping back into the 3.0 mix and seeing where I can be of most help.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 03:54 PM CDT
I just received Dragon Dance...and it's amazing. It's a little sad that I won't have it too long before they take it away. Can I petition to keep Dragon in it's current form just for Slaydo?

Master Barbarian Slaydo
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 04:07 PM CDT
>>Can I petition to keep Dragon in it's current form just for Slaydo?

Only if I can use my 1400 Performance ranks to scream at you :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 04:18 PM CDT
>>Only if I can use my 1400 Performance ranks to scream at you :)<<

Using your silly vocals as a weapon is a bit more of a stretch, sir. Even with dragon up, your vocals cause mayhem and disrupt the space-time continuum.
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 06:48 PM CDT
Leilond, sir, you may scream at me with your 1400 performance ranks....however my toggish ears will be stuffed with cotton and I will be wearing paladin sound-deadening device.

Master of Sound Deadening Barbarian Slaydo
Re: Panther 05/27/2011 07:15 PM CDT
So you have the new guild requirements all lined up?

Thanks for the info by the way.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss