Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Dances 10/08/2006 02:50 PM CDT
I haven't paid much attention to changes over last few years...

Is discipline only thing that affects dances...or do we need charisma for that too?
Re: Dances 10/12/2006 10:21 PM CDT
No hard evidence to support it, but charisma may help in stablilizing the dance boost at lower levels. It may have just been due to lower concentration though.

If you want stronger dances, train discipline.

-Gavyn

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Re: Dances 11/30/2006 02:58 PM CST
Hello fellow barbs, I just recently returned and today decided to read the forums. I can say in my experience with bear that before I left 1.5 years ago I had been getting a steady 13 point boost in strength for a long while. I'll stop by a forge and test the boost now to see if it's still consistent. Currently I have 42 Str, 40 Cha, 40 Dis if that helps.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Dances 11/30/2006 03:16 PM CST
Been a long time, welcome back.

Codiax.

Why kill anything when you can kill mages
Re: Dances 12/01/2006 04:51 AM CST
>Executioner Catullus

Booo! We are full up on cats, try the Bard guild!

Currently reading:

The Little Empath That Wouldnt, Even Though It Was Her Job to Heal Me
AND
A Matter of Magic 2: How to Get More by Doing Less
Re: Dances 12/01/2006 12:44 PM CST
>>Booo! We are full up on cats, try the Bard guild!

::meows at Rayje, then ducks and runs!::

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Dances 12/03/2006 08:07 AM CST
Hi there, codiax, pleasure to be back and thanks for the welcoming.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Dances 12/04/2006 07:14 PM CST
Hello, anyone mind telling me if our dances have been updated so that they have engagement bonuses? I remember before I left they were talking about cutting advancing time with panther and some other practical amendments to our dances.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Dances 12/04/2006 07:29 PM CST
Nope, engagement has not been changed yet.

- Simon

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/geek+gaming/-/pv_design_details/pg_14/id_14016668/opt_/fpt_/c_360/
Re: Dances 12/04/2006 07:33 PM CST
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know if they have said more or less how far behind in an update list engagement system is at? Thanks yet again for your response.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Dances 12/04/2006 07:36 PM CST
No idea, man. I'm not even sure where you would ask. I guess the combat folder and than hope a combat GM is reading there. Welcome back btw.

- Simon

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/geek+gaming/-/pv_design_details/pg_14/id_14016668/opt_/fpt_/c_360/
Dances 02/22/2007 12:33 PM CST
I have questions about the dances for anyone that can answer.

How long do they last, and if it increases, is it possible to have them last indefinitely? If so, when would one be able to have the Eagle dance last indefinitely?

What stats affect them, and does armor affect them? If so, can the way armor affects them be worked down? (I use leather body and light chain hands/head.)

Also, any other useful information would be most welcome. Hopefully none of these things are secrets.

Thanks.

Ignorant Player
Re: Dances 02/22/2007 12:43 PM CST
This is my understanding but I don't use dances much so other people should be able to clarify.

They're capped duration wise, but then you can dance them again. So, dancing back to back indefinitely would be your aim. Duration cap is something around 25-28 minutes.

Discipline/concentration so stats and circle affect dances. Just discipline is tied into the boosts from the dance, and then concentration (so disc and circle) are tied into the duration.

Armor can hinder dances, you'll get that information when you start, and I believe that is only duration hindrance.

Burden is actually the bigger factor from my experience, where the burden level right below light where you are still at none can cost me 3-5 minutes on a dance.

Back to back eagle dance indefinitely would probably be possible in the 250-300 concentration range or thereabouts.

I am --- Navak
Re: Dances 02/22/2007 03:13 PM CST
http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Dances.html
Dances hindered by shield 06/19/2007 06:17 PM CDT
When I do any dance using my small sized garg shield, I see "Your movements feel completely unhindered." but when I use my medium sized croc shield, I get "You feel slightly restricted in your armor."

I have 158 ranks in shield, and my croc shield appraises as fairly hindering, how much skill do I need to not be hindered by it?
Re: Dances hindered by shield 07/13/2007 05:52 AM CDT
dont think you are too far away i use a Large shield (Held in hand) and i can dance just fine , either 200 or 250 ranks rings a bell
Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 09:12 AM CDT
Well i just thought i would say that i think dances could use a lil bit of lovin..first of all the only dances worth dancing in my view are eagle wolverine panther and dragon, Wolverine is a pretty good dance...I like it and use it to hunt most of the time...eagle and panther i use very rarely and Dragon i use when i'm trying to kill something that poses a challenge. Dragon is decent but i think there's a few things that could use a uptweak as in the balance boost...its so slow with dragon i think it should pulse about the same rate as wolverine or swan, also why can't we get a perception boost with it? from anything i've ever read about dragons they had superior eyesight and it should reflect in the dragon form of dancing. I'd like to see some new dances really but what would you do to top dragon? i'd have to say at higher circles around 100 or above the dances should get stronger or a pure form, that would boost them slightly or add more beneficial effects

Shadow Chieftain
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 09:35 AM CDT
I use eagle a lot still for ranged and when I juggle.
I use bear for forging and swimming.
I use panther for ranged defense, hiding, stalking, and grinding.
I use cobra for lower weapons in higher hunting grounds.
I use dragon when I hunt primarily.
I use badger when training shield and just dancing.
I never use swan or wolverine.

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 11:46 AM CDT
Swan needs to like...do something.

The balance boost isn't even that reliable in combat where balance adjustments happen a lot faster than it pulses.

I am --- Navak
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 12:12 PM CDT
Isn't swan dance one of those pre-balance change ability that never got its usefulness back?

>dance sprite
A water sprite laughs and spins away as you approach her for a dance!
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 03:29 PM CDT
Swan - Only when I'm messing around in a lower level hunting area and using whirlwind back to back to back to back.

Cobra - Only when using light edge and I'm having trouble landing hard hits.

Badger - Always. If I dont have eagle up I always walk around with this up. The defensive boost it gives is awesome.

Eagle - My primary ranged training dance. Also have it up if I'm walking about town.

B ear - Swimming and climbing.

Wolverine - Never

Panther - Never

Dragon - PvP and someone is significantly bigger or I need the BMR boost.

I agree however that we need more love with some dances. Swan needs more functionality and eagle needs some serious love in the perception catagory. Im sure once I cross the 100+ threshold wolverine might become viable for hunting. Right now it isnt.

Otherwise, outside of Swan and Eagle I think I'd rather see time devoted to meditations and new stuff.

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 08:01 PM CDT
- Dances : Never use them. They do practically nothing (except bear). Could be due to my 20 discipline at circle 35 (low?) or my 6 intelligence?

- Berserks : Loving them. They are extremely powerful, but can get you in trouble.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 08:16 PM CDT
>Could be due to my 20 discipline at circle 35 (low?) or my 6 intelligence?

That's a joke right? The 6 intelligence part...

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 08:47 PM CDT
I actually have 6 intelligence. The only time I even begin to feel it is when all 4 of my blades/blunts are walling up. Then I can :gasp: actually just about lock all of them.

It seems as though the recent EXP pool changes helped... as they took some of the emphasis off of having high stats. I probably lose out a bit on defense learning (since they lock first), but my defenses are now all higher than my offenses so I don't worry so much (parry is 30 higher).

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 08:56 PM CDT
Intelligence impacts more than learning. 6 is a big gamble to take on any statistic since noone but GMs knows what each one plays a role in.

>dance sprite
Re: Dances needing some love 08/13/2007 09:42 PM CDT
Yeah I know what you mean. The thing is my barb has no problems hunting aside from the multi opponent aspect. It wouldn't make sense for intelligence to play a role there anyways. My other characters all have the same problems with MO, and some of them have over 25 intelligence so I doubt its that.

Until the GMs let us know more about what the stats do, I can only go by what I see. And since I have no problems learning, no problems killing, and no problems resisting at-circle magic - I'm happy with my 6 intelligence :P

Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 12:40 AM CDT
More power to you. Wish I could scrap strength like that ... lousy strength.

>dance sprite
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 01:07 AM CDT
>More power to you. Wish I could scrap strength like that ... lousy strength.

You can if you want. I had 12 strength at 70th circle, and now 20 at 130th.
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 03:08 AM CDT
Doesn't 6 intelligence basically mean that someone straight out of the character generator could rub an MB rune and knock you out?
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 03:22 AM CDT
>I had 12 strength at 70th circle, and now 20 at 130th.

Heh, you're my hero. But I already spent 20 at circle 60. I had all these ideas of being a combat moon mage until I discovered that training a single offense (target) and a single defense (hiding) is so much easier than standing at melee swinging a sword and, you know, dying.

>Doesn't 6 intelligence basically mean that someone straight out of the character generator could rub an MB rune and knock you out?

Probably not, since MB is checked against more than just INT.

>dance sprite
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 09:17 AM CDT
Neglecting any one stat that severely is going to hurt your BMR. My resistance is pretty sick and I've only got 2 stats under 40 (strength @ 36 and intelligence at 35)

My current goal, although painful is to bring intelligence to 40 then finish my push at getting discipline and stamina to 50 (both cheap for me)

Just remember, if you over specialize you breed in weakness.

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 11:10 AM CDT
>Just remember, if you over specialize you breed in weakness.

In return for great strengths as well:

Reflex : 80
Agility : 50
Discipline : 70
Wisdom : 70
Intelligence : 99
Re: Dances needing some love 08/14/2007 01:08 PM CDT
I quit.

Codiax.
Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 10:34 AM CDT
Haha oh man, whaaaaaat?? Dragon needs no boosting, it is simply awesome and the best guild ability in the game. Wolverine is what I always use for hunting. It combines the defense of badger with the offense of cobra and I can dance back to back to back.... Panther is great for stealth and a few other not very well known tricks, but the boost to stealth should be higher. Bear is great for forging and swimming as big ugly said, but could use a couple other boosts. Cobra at low level weapons in high grounds, again big ugly. Eagle's perception boost is crap, but dual load and range boost is a sick ability. Swan is and has always been useless.

Berserks are still what they were before the change, panic buttons. Dances are the way to go. Stop complaining, we're very well taken care of. And I'm not just saying that because Niamah is evil and has access to my character.

~Player behind Korutu
Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 10:36 AM CDT
>>Galren's BMR post.

Yeah, don't neglect stats. Don't forget that it was HIGHLY ADVISED that you train your stats according to your racial bonuses to maximize your BMR. Ie...train the cheapest stat available.

~Player behind Korutu
Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 11:30 AM CDT
>> Panther is great for stealth and a few other not very well known tricks, but the boost to stealth should be higher

Could you let us know what those other benefits are?

>>Wolvering combines the defense of badger

I've never noticed a defensive boost from Wolverine. Has anyone else? The offensive bonus is usually noticeable however.

Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 12:30 PM CDT
>>Swan is and has always been useless.

I've actually been finding a use for it lately, hunting la'heke in Ratha. The deck is naturally slippery, and if I dance swan, I don't fall (and usually die shortly thereafter) nearly as much. I seem to recall a place also where the ground rumbles or crumbles or something and you have to stay balanced or you fall over, but I can't remember where.

So it's less useful, but not useless.

< You clamp your teeth on an arbelog's abdomen gnashing it with painful bites that cuts deeply into its groin.
An arbelog is moderately stunned!
An arbelog hisses out a whispered curse as it stumbles, falls, then dies.
[You're very badly balanced]
Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 01:16 PM CDT
>>I've never noticed a defensive boost from Wolverine. Has anyone else? The offensive bonus is usually noticeable however.

It is there however it's just a tiny bit less poweful than badger itself. It's a trade off really. You get a lot more for your money across the board with Wolverine but if you ONLY need a defensive boost or you cannot dance wolverine back to back I'd suggest sticking to the lower dances.

Also, I wanted to add something. Per the last two invasions situtations I've been in berserks have turned me into a wrecking machine. I'll be dancing eagle and unloading my hammer on stuff and then BAM I'm stunned.

Berserk stone, instantly back to health. Berserk blood, now I'm rushing in head first chopping down everything in my path totally blood drunk. While its not my hunting/training ability of choice as far as invasions go, especially when fighting things that can stun you, berserks are the way to go.

-Galren Moonskin

Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 03:12 PM CDT
Swan was useful hunting in thunder rams in Theren. I only use it now for fun.

mfberg
Re: Dances needing some love 08/27/2007 03:17 PM CDT
I'd say we have a nice balance between dances and berserks. I've found a use for every dance (except swan) and have found a use for every berserk. Dances are great (nothing beats Dragon so far even with low discipline) but don't underestimate berserks. Steel jumps in the same category as Flame. I don't use them often, but when I find the right time to use them they're awesome.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4