Bear Dance 06/22/2005 04:43 PM CDT
I've got all of the dances up to and including Panther Dance. Out of all of them, the bear dance seems to always give me more BMR than Wolverine and Panther. Can anyone verify this?
Re: Bear Dance 06/23/2005 09:44 PM CDT
This could be because it gives you the biggest stat boost, rather than boosting other things as well?
Bear Dance 08/26/2006 07:30 PM CDT
I just got bear dance, and had a few questions. A thread not too long ago discussed it a bit, but I can't seem to locate it.

Strength : 30 Reflex : 20
Agility : 22 Charisma : 20
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 16
Intelligence : 6 Stamina : 22

This stat setup gets me 5 points of strength (as tested in the forge). What is the requirement for a larger strength bonus? Purely discipline? Or do I need more strength to get more of a strength bonus?

Also, testing with bleeders showed I am getting at most +1 to my stamina. Does that sound about right?

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Bear Dance 08/26/2006 07:32 PM CDT
<<This stat setup gets me 5 points of strength (as tested in the forge). What is the requirement for a larger strength bonus? Purely discipline? Or do I need more strength to get more of a strength bonus?>>

Purely discipline.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html

"The problem with common sense, is that it is not so common."
Re: Bear Dance 08/26/2006 09:18 PM CDT
How much discipline would you say for the max bonus, what is it +16 strength?

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Bear Dance 08/26/2006 09:35 PM CDT
<<How much discipline would you say for the max bonus, what is it +16 strength?>>

Don't know for sure. I have a feeling each dance caps at different levels of discipline (in terms of affects garnered).

BTW, it is just my thoughts from my experience as to saying it is purely discipline based for the affects of your dances (which do cap). Other people have different thoughts as to what powers your dance besides discipline.

- Simon

Re: Bear Dance 08/26/2006 11:16 PM CDT
I seem to remember the max boost from bear being stated as 8, but could very well be wrong. It's been a good long while since the topic came up.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 12:54 AM CDT
With 40 discipline I get a +13 strength boost with bear.

"Oooh look at me Marge, I'm making people Happy! I'm the magical man, from Happy Land, who lives in a gumdrop house on Lolly Pop Lane!!!!...... By the way I was being sarcastic."
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 09:27 AM CDT
<<With 40 discipline I get a +13 strength boost with bear.

Thats exactly what I get also.

Drevid
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 09:41 AM CDT
In your opinions, is bear the thing to use when forging then? Or does some other dance seem to be what people tend to use ie wolverine or dragno?

Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 09:52 AM CDT
<<In your opinions, is bear the thing to use when forging then? Or does some other dance seem to be what people tend to use ie wolverine or dragno?

I use Bear solely for pounding. I use Panther for grinding.

Drevid
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 10:10 AM CDT
<<In your opinions, is bear the thing to use when forging then? Or does some other dance seem to be what people tend to use ie wolverine or dragno?>>

I use bear dance when forging (for pounding and mixing) and for training for swimming usually.

I'd think the people who would use wolverine would be those who can dance it fairly consistantly for the purpose of training melee and ranged weapons (those around the 30th to 100th circle range, depending on how focused you are with discipline). Although, there would be circumstances where they dance cobra/badger/eagle depending on what they desire. These people would probably use dragon dance for PvP situations, if that arised.

Likewise, I'd think the people who would use dragon would be those who can dance it fairly consistantly for the purpose of training melee and ranged weapons (those around the 90th and up circle range, depending on how focused you are with discipline). These folks would probably already have capped dance durations for every other dance and very close to having capped dance duration for dragon dance (if not having it).

BTW, when I say consistantly, I mean 20 minutes or more for a hunt. Capped dance duration is 25 minutes.

- Simon

Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 12:29 PM CDT
My personal usage, as one who relies almost solely on dances without roar or berserks...

Pounding at the forge: bear (I have tiny muscles)
Grinding: panther

Training primary melee weapon/defenses in areas that push the limits: dragon (volume at my current hunting spot is not high enough to go back to back, but I would not survive with anything else)

Training ranged, even in said areas: eagle

Backtraining in areas with difficulty iffy compared to the weapons I'm backtraining: wolverine (I can dance it pretty much back to back)

Backtraining in areas where they are so easy that it only takes a little boost to bump them off faster: cobra

Dancing for MO in areas that don't require a lot of active attacking to keep balanced/position enough for safety: badger

Training stealth: panther

PvP (I've only gotten back into it recently after having had a pretty long break):
Melee - Dragon regardless of who I'm up against

Ranged - completely opponent and situation dependent
Explanation:
If I'm facing one or more powerful mages, I'm likely using dragon even though I prefer eagle for ranged/perception. 2 reasons... I need the defensive boost but moreso I need the resistance boost. HOWEVER, in cases where there is a good chance that confrontation would last beyond the dance duration, dragon is unfavorable because it would most certainly take some down time before going back to it. Unless, of course, you are capable of dancing something lower but still effective right after it drops.

If I'm facing one or more non-mage hiders, it's a tough call. If eagle is enough to spot them, I would usually go that route. If not, I might be more inclined to go with panther because it's best for slash and does lend itself for ranged defense/offense. However, since agility changes, that option has also become somewhat less favorable.

Any other dance questions?
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 12:49 PM CDT
So panther is really useful for grinding? Never thought of that. I suppose the thought there is reflex and agility assist in the grinding process. I must say I was always under the impression that strength helped more for grinding.

I only say this because we once had a barb here in Plat who forged a lot. Well, when Kertig became available he wasn't able to grind a blade forged using it. So he rubbed one of those strength stat figurines, and voila it worked. I wasn't there to observe it of course, but that had always made the case for me that strength mattered more.

I'm sure you guys know better than me :P Out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried using berserks to help them forge? I realize they do not last as long if you aren't in combat, but many of them boost stats to one extent or another as well.

Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 12:55 PM CDT
The thought is that the agility boost from panther dance helps you with grinding. I don't think that's the case. I don't think any dance helps with grinding.

<<Out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried using berserks to help them forge?>>

Berserk flame helps for pounding, but I'd only use it if I were pounding a few blades. Dancing bear is better for longer usages of pounding blades/armor due to its consistancy and length.

- Simon

Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 01:25 PM CDT
When you first begin to get 1 grind, I heard it was around 130-150FF, how does it happen?

Right now when I try to grind I get a message about "this looks as finished as it is going to get there ". Once you have the skill to get 1 grind, is it always going to let you try for a particular mix? Do you sometimes have to do like moon mages, and...

R>push grind with blade
Sparks fly as you push your steel-alloy blade against the grindstone.

>grind blade edge
You grind away on the edge of your steel-alloy blade.

That looks as finished as it is going to get there.
You frown as you are unable to improve the edge.

then repeat it 10 times and maybe it will work one of those 10 times? Or does the looks finished message mean it isn't even possible for it to happen yet?

My thought is by trying various stat/skill boosters when I'm at the edge of being able to grind, maybe I could figure out if anything influences it. But if it is kind of a grey area, then it might not be possible.

Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 01:55 PM CDT
No, it will either work or not work.

Once you have the weapon skills/mech to grind with a mix, you're allowed to try, and then the success/failure is based upon effective mech skill I believe. That's roughly since there are a lot of factors but to me those seem like the big ones.

I don't recall when dances were changed, but boosts used to affect forging differently than now and that changed (at least for a lot of boosts and all barb boosts that I can tell) when the dances were last changed.

I believe Gavyn got +16 strength when using a disc figurine and bear.

I get 9-11 with 25 discipline.

I am --- Navak
Re: Bear Dance 08/27/2006 02:38 PM CDT
Oh I see. It is very possible the rumors in question related to the "old" system of boosts. Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to explain things for me. As I get more into it, I am sure I will discover more than enough on my own. I can't wait to crack the mixing formulas and limitations :P

Re: Bear Dance 08/31/2006 04:34 PM CDT
>>I believe Gavyn got +16 strength when using a disc figurine and bear.

I actually got a 17 point boost at 48 discipline and 34 strength.
17 point boost was 50% of my strength at the time.

Up from 12 at 38 discipline.

That raised the question of, would 50 discipline put me at 18? Or would strength need to be 36 for me to hit an 18 point boost. These things are still unanswered.
Unfortunately I can't test the percentage limit if there is one, because my strength is too high now.

If anyone gets a boost to strength over 50% let me know. Times like this I wish Grekkon? was still around with his 10 strength and 52 discipline.

At 44 discipline I'm still getting a 13 point boost. Which really doesn't make much sence to me unless the boost from discipline is exponential.

The 2 points disc = 1 point strength after some threshold did seem a little too simple.

Meditate warpaint and dancing bear gives me a 15 point strength boost. I should be able to figure out how much discipline meditate gives you in a few circles. Maybe.

I haven't done nearly enough testing with meditate warpaint to pin down it's boost yet. But right now I'd estimate it gives you a random boost between 2 and 4 points of discipline.

-Gavyn

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Re: Bear Dance 08/31/2006 04:40 PM CDT
>>I get 9-11 with 25 discipline.

>>I am --- Navak

I do recall getting varied levels of boost from bear. Now it seems to be constant. Around the time I noticed the boosts become more consistent, I trained alot of charisma and discipline. I also circled several times.
Discipline, charisma or concentration playing a part in dance power consistancy? Discuss.

-Gavyn

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Bear Dance 12/10/2009 12:33 PM CST
Whats it take to dance bear continously? I think I just need a better flow of critters to keep my IF full, but is there a certain stat setup/level range I should be aiming for?

currently lvl 47
Strength : 30 + Reflex : 28
Agility : 28 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 21
Intelligence : 23 Stamina : 30 +

If I start the dance with full IF, I have this message when it ends "Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of flames that extends nearly your full height again above you."

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.