When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 07:25 AM CST
Hi All!

I'm just getting back into Dragonrealms after a long break back when there was just the ONE berserk, and it was more of a last resort tactic.

Nowadays it sounds like you can stack berserks, which sounds really cool, and maybe even use them more often as part of regular combat??

I've just now started using my roars and dances more often (hardly ever use berserk because I'm not sure how to), but honestly I only use Trothfangs Butchery + Wolverine dance when 4 critters get on me so I can quickly take it back down to 2 or 3.

So I have a few questions:

(1) How often do you use a berserk? (eg, blood OR stone, during normal combat or only in emergencies)

(2) How often do you stack berserks? (eg, blood + stone, during normal combat or only in emergencies)

(3) Do you use berserks as often as you use dances?

(4) How do you decide when to use a berserk vs. using a dance?

(5) Do you berserk AND dance? (eg, blood berserk + wolverine dance)

Thanks so much!!

-- Garthain Brithor
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 08:25 AM CST
All I can offer is my personal experience, which might differ from the norm since I've always used HP armor instead of the more sane leather or chain approach.

Basically, if you're training melee weapons you should berserk. Stone is the best defensive ability we have, at least until we cap badger dance and probably even then due to stun breaking and balance correction. It can also be stacked with Blood, which is a very nice strength boost and melee weapon boost. Both have very low IF cost and can be stacked pretty early on if you hunt swarmy critters. Once I started hunting gryphons I found I could stack nightmare on top of the other two, which made roars incredibly effective.

The downsides to all that is that if you want to train stealths or ranged weapons you must do it without a boost or wait for the berserks to wear off, which can take a very long time. They also kill your intel and wisdom, giving a sizeable perception penalty, though these penalties do NOT affect learning rate.

Unless you NEED eagle and panther dance for ranged and stealth training, berserking probably the way to go. Start stone and/or blood as soon as you enter combat and use the others as needed.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 08:27 AM CST
1. I hardly ever berserk anymore. Back when my character was a smaller circle I'd berserk almost all the time. Now it's purely situational. Blood and/or Stone, Blood/Stone and/or Nightmare, etc...

2. Haven't stacked berserks in a lonnnnng time.

3. Hardly. I dance every day, and will only berserk Stone if my vitality drops really low and I know otherwise I will die.

4. I haven't used Blood berserk in a long time. I prefer to use Cobra dance when backtraining since I can easily stop it and use Eagle for bow and offhand training. Stone berserk is only for emergencies. Nightmare berserk if I'm trying to roar a big target that requires more than Dragon, which is a rare scenario. Flame, Cyclone, Steel, and Grave are berserks I never ever use. Kuniyo berserk I'll use in the pit or against Paladins, which is not a daily thing.

I use about 6 different dances every day. Berserks as I mentioned before are entirely situational for me.

5. Berserking and dancing at the same time is impossible. It was coded as a 180th circle ability (circle cap is 150th) but it doesn't look like we'll be going in that direction.

My suggestion is that you try out every single ability you get. It might be a little frustrating sometimes with inner fire and may even lead to a few deaths, but the best way to learn about your abilities is through trial and error. Every character has a different statistical setup so you might find some abilities more useful to you than others would. Also, be mindful that as you grow into your Barbarian that some things may or may not change.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 08:29 AM CST
Oh yeah...

www.phiiskeep.homestead.com is a very helpful site for Barb abilities in case you've never been there.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 09:37 AM CST
(1) How often do you use a berserk? (eg, blood OR stone, during normal combat or only in emergencies)

Never. I dance either Badger, or now that I'm well over 100th circle I dance Dragon 90% of the time.

(2) How often do you stack berserks? (eg, blood + stone, during normal combat or only in emergencies)

N/A. I've never used berserks or stacked them except for some brief moments of testing while in combat just to see how they worked and whether or not I liked them.

(3) Do you use berserks as often as you use dances?

No. See above.

(4) How do you decide when to use a berserk vs. using a dance?

I've always used a dance, starting with Swan, then Cobra and Swan, then Badger almost exclusively to 100th circle, and now a combination of Badger and Dragon depending on what I'm working. Badger for defensive training, Dragon for a mix of offense and defense or pure offense. I've played with Wolverine a bit, but I like Badger better, and I use Bear when forging. I haven't trained ranged, so I don't use Eagle, and I haven't used Panther either.

(5) Do you berserk AND dance? (eg, blood berserk + wolverine dance)

This is currently not possible. Above 80th circle I believe you can Berserk out of a stun while dancing, but you can't use both at the same time.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 10:15 AM CST
If I start getting hit too much, I will Berserk Stone first, then stack Nightmare on top. Sometimes I'll add blood too, but I'm seldom in a spot where I feel the need for three berserks at a time.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 10:53 AM CST
I almost never berserk.

While hunting, I use Panther as my primary dance for LX and Wolverine for ME. I have backup dances in my scripts in case I'm lacking the inner fire to use my primary dance - currently those are Cobra for Brawling and ME, and Eagle for LX.

Up until I had 25 discipline I berserked Nightmare exclusively. I needed to be able to retreat in order to train stealths, which Nightmare allows you to do. I found the MO boost was sufficient, and since MO sucks at lower skill levels, the added charisma helped me roar for crowd control purposes. If all else failed and I got into trouble, I could berserk stone and kill-mode everything which I could not do while dancing.
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 11:38 AM CST
My thoughts exactly from what Vinjince wrote.

- Simon
Re: When to Use Berserks? 11/19/2009 04:49 PM CST
I rarely use dances and berserk 99.9% of the time. Stone, Blood regularly and Nightmare situationally. I don't touch Cyclone because it results in a stun too easily. Flame I use in PvP if needed.

Dances are fine and dandy and I think once you can berserk out of a dance you probably wont berserk in hunting situations, becaue why bother if something goes amiss just go ahead and berserk then. I say berserk and up-hunt early on you wont get bored that way.
Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 05:33 PM CST
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I'm only circle 30 right now, back training shield and some defenses to get up to the early 130s with the Morah Vines then I'm going to try Small Peccaries in Lang south of Theren.

I've died pretty easily against the Swamp Trolls there and had to use Stone berserk to make it out many times.

I will probably try berserk Blood + Stone when I go back into the swamp and see how that holds up for me. But I have reservations, as some have posted, because once you berserk you're kinda of stuck in it without being able to retreat, whereas with dances I can run away more easily.

So.... sounds like I need to just try out the various combos and see which matches my playing style =)

Thanks,

-- Garthain Brithor
Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 06:01 PM CST
What roars do you have currently?
Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 06:21 PM CST
Roar hiss is a berserker's best friend. That plus nightmare berserk will save you from just about anything.

Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 07:55 PM CST
>>What roars do you have currently?<<

Roars and Battle Cries that you currently know:
Lash of Torment
Banshee's Wail
Slash the Shadows

I really should go get a few more roars. I think I've got 10 open slots at 129th. The only roar I use on a regular basis is Lash to stun critters when I want to retreat out of combat and go gate healed. There are quite a few others that I would consider useful, but I just haven't bothered to pick them up yet.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 08:48 PM CST
Side-note: Banshee's Wail is absolutely incredible when coupled with whirlwind. Immobilized critters are hit harder by the attack and can't take advantage of the last maneuver penalty or balance hits before you're able to correct them.

Re: When to Use Berserks? (Thanks Everyone) 11/19/2009 09:23 PM CST
I just tried out triple stack of Blood + Stone + Nightmare while back-training. I waited until I had refilled my inner fire before stacking each time, then was able to keep all three rolling no problem. I noticed a MAJOR increase in my damage potential, which was awesome! And since I was able to keep killing critters (and locking 5+ weapons) my inner fire stayed full and I had minor repercussions when coming out of my berserk.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

<<What roars do you have currently?>>

Roars and Battle Cries that you currently know:
Trothfang's Butchery
Serpent's Hiss of Warning
Superiority

I only use Trothfang currently, I solo a lot so I never get to use Superiority. I find that I can't really ever scare off the tough critters that are killing me with Serpent's Hiss, but I'll try the Nightmare Berserk + Hiss Roar next time.

<<Roar hiss is a berserker's best friend. That plus nightmare berserk will save you from just about anything.>>

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep that in mind!

-- Garthain Brithor